Medical Center Hospital Employee Reviews

Very helpful services
Volunteer Work (Former Employee) –  Odessa, TXNovember 30, 2016
I volunteered at MCH for about 3 years and have gained almost 600 hours during that time. I will receive a $1,000 scholarship per semester as I continue my career in the medical field. I have gained a lot of knowledge and experience and will take that with me as I grow. Medical Center Hospital is a great workplace with kind people and friendly services.
Pros
Many opportunities for your future, Free Lunch, College Scholarship
Cons
N/A
A once great place to work. Like Rome, it has fallen!! In to rubble.
Critical Care Nurse (Current Employee) –  Odessa, TXNovember 20, 2016
Worked here over 30 yrs in critical care. The last 10 years have been like watching a train wreck. There are very good bedside nurses/staff. However, middle management has destroyed any hope and has sucked the life out of the hospital. Problems start with the administrator and seep into every level in every department. They spend money on programs trying to change the negative culture but management, both lower and upper, are the main problems. Slogans and acronyms cannot fix what these employees must endure. They are putting up buildings and clinics around town. Meanwhile, trashing employees!! Coffee is no longer free. There is no longer tuition reimbursement. No longer financial awards for extra credentials. Lifetime retirement that was awarded to employees hired before 1993 have been notified that that will no longer be honored. They do not respect past employee any more than they do current employees! And you had better believe, they will not respect future employees!!
Pros
Fellow coworkers
Cons
I think my review paints a pretty good picture. Not a complete list.
Horrible
Nurse (Former Employee) –  Odessa, TXNovember 11, 2016
This use to be a great place to learn and work. Unfortunately due to poor management and financial only concerned administrators and board of directors this place has become unsafe for patients as well as licensed employees. If your going there to learn, you must realize more than likely whoever is training you has probably just graduated themselves. It is a level 2 trauma center so you will gain experience. However pay is poor benefits are lousy, and administration just really doesn't care about employees or patients.
Pros
Level 2 trauma center
Cons
Poor leadership, management, and compensation
Great place to learn
Respiratory Therapist (Current Employee) –  Odessa, TXNovember 3, 2016
Administers respiratory therapy care and life support to patients with deficiencies and abnormalities of cardiopulmonary system, under supervision of Physician or Respiratory Therapist and by prescription.
Pros
Great people
Cons
In the middle of no where
Loved My Job, but not how MCH didn't want to attend to things or people that was not imortant to them.
Instrument Technician for Sterile Processing (Former Employee) –  Odessa, TXOctober 18, 2016
Wrapped and put different types of sets together, porper sterilization techniques, very close interaction with OR, and pick up and delivery of insturmentation. I absolutely loved what i did and the compassion of co- workers for the most part. Certain supervisors did not care to replacement what needed to be.
Loved this job!
Supply Processing Distribution Clerk/Warehouse (Former Employee) –  Odessa, TXOctober 16, 2016
This job has been the best so far. From management to co-workers there was always teamwork which made the job more fun and flexible. Getting the job done from begging to the end was great.
Pros
Teamwork. Great Benefit
Cons
Pay is not good
Intresting and very diverse
House keeper\cna (Former Employee) –  Bowling Green, KYSeptember 26, 2016
I worked with wonderful people and meet a lot of great spirits but th managers and hr office is horrible the CNA teachers pick and choose and a lot of the managers at th hospital run off ther employees, communication and professionalism lacks there.
Pros
Benefits, nice pay and the clients
Cons
Managers and HR
MCH is a great hospital to work for.
Medical Technologist (ASCP) (Former Employee) –  Odessa, TXSeptember 26, 2016
A typical day at work is processing specimens, answering phone calls, helping out where needed if my area is slow. Assisting the interns and doctors with microscopy in Hematology and Gram stains when I am in Microbiology. Answering questions from ER and the nurses on the floors and ER.
Being a Generalist in all the laboratory departments except Blood Bank I have learned how to organize my time to be efficient and helpful. And my coworkers have the same work ethic. I have also learned about problem solving.
One could never ask for a better supervisor and management.
The hardest part of the job there was none work is work.
The most enjoyable part of my job was my coworkers, since we all regarded ourselves as family.
Pros
Lunch discount and always free coffee the cafeteria provided
Cons
Safety on the road since I left work at 11:00 pm.
Stressful understaffed job
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Odessa, TXAugust 17, 2016
A typical day at work is immediately stressful. I have learned how ICU nurses can become quickly over worked when put in an environment such as this one. My co-workers are wonderful. Luckily, they are all helpful and look out for each other. The bond of co-workers is the only enjoyable part of this job. The hardest part is feeling like you don't have the right equipment and amount of staff to care for your patient's the best way that you can.
LVN Transfer Center (Current Employee) –  Odessa, TXMay 25, 2016
Fast paced! Room for advancement! Tuition reimbursement is positive! Great benefits! Shifts are long but days off during the week are great!
Lead Therapist (Former Employee) –  Odessa, TXApril 20, 2016
You will learn many different areas of healthcare that will help you to grow your career. The exposure an employee has is great. Limited chances to advance and you will work hard every day. Overall this is a good place to work.
Pros
The exposure an employee has is great
Cons
Limited chances to advance
I will never go back
RN Staff Nurse (Former Employee) –  Odessa, TXFebruary 16, 2016
I worked here as a CNA, Nursing Intern, and a RN. No one in management knows their butts from a hole in the ground. No one takes responsibility for their team or work. Will place blame on anyone they can. Will float inexperienced nurses to critical care but wont let them transfer to different departments. Will not provide proper training for individuals who volunteer to float unless the employee pays for it themselves. Nurse to patient ratio is always 1:6 if you work on floors that the house supervisor doesn't care for. Lots of favoritism among directors and upper management. I do not recommend working here unless you want to be used and abused by patients, coworkers, physicians, and directors. Even when you have a ligament complaint, you are not listened to and nothing is EVER done about it.
Pros
experience, benefits
Cons
everything else not listed in pros...
Busy work environment
Patient Services Representative (Former Employee) –  Odessa, TXJanuary 5, 2016
Patient Access Rep.

Busy, high paced, multi taking environment. Need to be an individual problem solver for this position.
Phlebotomist (Former Employee) –  Odessa, TXDecember 1, 2015
Helping People is what I love to do and here that's what's its all about making sure the patient is where they need to be and doing my job. it was that easy
Informative place to work
Nurse Assistant/ Full Time (Former Employee) –  Odessa, TXSeptember 23, 2015
Very supportive management.
Learned a lot about medical skills, terminologies which will help me in my future endeavors.
they respect each other as a colleague.
Place to stay busy ! always something to do
Registrar (Current Employee) –  Odessa, TXSeptember 8, 2015
Working for MCH has been amazing I have learned so much in just one year of being here, and I know there is so much more to learn and I know I can grow within the company
Pros
the medical education you learn, work enviroment
Cons
short lunch, open holidays (urgent care clinic), pay
OK Place to Work
Staff Nurse, Flex Pool (Current Employee) –  Odessa, TXAugust 26, 2015
Working as needed is nice, I can make my own schedule and only work when they are short handed so most always feel needed and appreciated.
Pros
As Needed - Self Scheduling
Cons
Is in Odessa, I live in Midland
My work place
Radiologic Technologist (Current Employee) –  Odessa, TXAugust 20, 2015
I work evenings and it gets pretty crazy sometimes. We don't have tons of help and so I am back and forth from surgeries, ER and doing floor portables. It is a hectic work place, but I have learned so much from working here. I have learned that you have to be confident in all that you do. You work by yourself a lot. Surgery is my strong point and I absolutely love it. I get along with all the doctors and the staff. Medical Center in a Level II hospital so we see so much everyday, from oil field accidents to car accidents, etc.
Unsafe and unfair management
RRT (Former Employee) –  Odessa, TxAugust 1, 2015
Cardiopulmonary management is ran unfair. They have no clue how to be a successful therapist. They are very unprofessional and talk down to you as if you were a kid. All about money and no concerns on patient care. New employees thrown into critical areas without proper training. They will send you home and not care about giving you hours even when it is busy. But on another note...Coworkers are the best. Good benefits.
Cons
No breaks, No help, terrible superior visors and director.
Great coworkers but unsupportive management
RRT (Former Employee) –  Respiratory therapyJuly 15, 2015
Workloads are heavy and unsafe. Staff always being sent home having to use ppl to get 36hrs even if census doesn't call for it. No accountability for management. Supervisors retaliate against staff when pt. safety concerns are brought up. New employees rushed through training and left with critical pts without the proper training.
Pros
Great hospital and coworkers
Cons
Supervisors bully employees