Medical College of Wisconsin Employee Reviews

MCW is great if you're not in HR
Human Resources (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIFebruary 9, 2017
MCW is a great organization to work for, as long as you don't work in HR. The organization, work and co-workers are great but the HR leaders are some of the worst leaders i've ever worked for. MCW should really look at replacing this whole leadership team. This department has almost completely turned over in just a few years and people are leaving because of the leaders. The leaders are unethical, condescending, incompetent and they have openly retaliated against staff they don't care for. The department now hires almost only interns or young HR staff with little experience as seasoned HR people would never tolerate this environment. It's hard to be effective in your job if the departments don't respect or trust HR and that will only change if the leaders are changed.

Awesome organization in most departments outside HR.
Pros
MCW leaders, mission, location & facilities, comp and benefits are fair
Cons
Human resources leaders need to be replaced
Excellent, productive enjoyable and a teamwork oriented environment. Looked forward to intample: Productive and fun workplace with ping pong table
Administrative Assistant III (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIJanuary 30, 2017
In the thirteen years that I worked at the Medical College a typical day was task oriented, fast-paced and always filled with priority tasks. I enjoyed the workplace culture, which was conductive to putting your best into each task. The management staff allowed you to grow and listened to your opinions and allowed you to make decisions without being micromanaged.
Pros
Excellent company benefits.
open door concept
Clinic Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIAugust 2, 2016
upbeat atmosphere. Learning environment. Team approach across the organization. learned I had many resources. Management open to ideas. Enjoyed being a part of a clinic that took pride in patient care and service and willing to make changes when needed
Pros
benefits, work inviormment, open door policy w upper management
Cons
low employee satisfaction / morale balanced by extraordinary exposure to experts from all over the world
medical laboratory manager (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee WisconsinFebruary 18, 2017
The highlights of the job are interacting with internationally known experts in the medical field and learning unique skills that can be passed on to future physicians and surgeons. You have a chance to meet scientists and medical staff from all over the world and learn about new cultures and philosophies. The support staff are hard working and for the most part, team workers. Most problems arise at the administrative / management levels - which can be summed up as putting business concerns (profits) over patient care needs. This creates frustration, tension and moral dilemmas that slowly erodes your ethical center. Some refer to that as losing your youthful naivete / idealism, which is surely part of the maturation process. But, at the same time, idealism should be an inherent part of a educational process that purports to be on the cutting edge of medicine and thus encouraged to all extents with the goal of finding new answers to old questions as well as developing new questions, new methods, new instruments.

The less-than-optimal employment conditions are that you are expected to work greater than scheduled time with no compensation. It is typical to work 10 to 12 hour days in order to complete patient care duties because of staffing issues. There is no such thing as job security as this is an "at-will" employer and it is not atypical to lose your position to nepotism or favoritism. The learning potential is high, however, the collegiate interactions are not considered "productive" because they are not "billable". Cutting corners for certification / licensing
  more... seems to be acceptable as long as you can get away with it. Basically, the requirement is to do the minimal to stay in compliance and don't look to be the best (for example, when I started in the 1980s our mission was to be the best in the country in what we did, now it is to be as good as everyone else). I have watched the evolution of MCW culture over thirty years as an employee and can write that while there were extraordinary people, projects and accomplishments met and achieved, the personal (and yes, personnel) costs were heavy. I truly regret that I spent the majority of my career working for MCW. It may be a good place to get basic experience and then move on, but I do not recommend this place for long-term career growth.

In sum, the word "college" is a misnomer in the current setting of MCW's practices. A more appropriate name should be Medical Corporation of Wisconsin (which is ironic as they do call themselves the "corporation" in in-house correspondence).
Pros
multicultural exposure, working with international experts
Cons
long hours, low pay; lack of job security; high degree of nepotism, favoritism
Great Place to work
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIJuly 7, 2016
Perfect overall environment, people and doctors with very good attitudes.Typical day at work very manageable. Teamwork environment.
Pros
Far walk from parking lot
Cons
Great pay, people and benefits
MCW good place to work at
Oracle ERP Programmer/Analyst (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIFebruary 22, 2017
Medical College of Wisconsin is a good place to work at. Was a good work life balance and management while I was there. IT team was still building while I was there - great technical lead.
Sadly Disappointed with new job.
Client Service Representative (Former Employee) –  10000 Innovation Drive, Milwaukee, WIMay 5, 2016
A typical day at work is sitting in a cubicle with no views, and talking on the phone all day to patients, working a referral worklist, and flipping a sign to go to the bathroom, meetings, breaks, photocoping, at a doctor's appointment or on vacation. You will be micromanaged all day long, and get emails and screenshots of all your mistakes, late punches, and that you are not following the polices. There is no positive feedback to what you are doing right. ZERO! All phone conversations are recorded and if you say something wrong or inaccurate or didn't say something you should have or were not staying on the "script" or you were too personable and chatty with a patient - they email the conversation and will knit pick it apart. Any changes in the way they do things comes thru emails and can be either vague and or very redundant. Protocols are not updated immediately and some departments change the protocols so much that they aren't even keeping up with the changes they are making -making scheduling patients with MDs and RN teams difficult. Some departments don't even answer their phones and patient's get mad having to leave voice messages! This places sounds like a wonderful place to work, and maybe other departments it is - but the department I worked in absolutely turns off people by the mirco management of duties, and their policies... I worked there several months and saw way too many people quit/walk off the job or be fired due to the things mentioned above.
Pros
Dress down days
Cons
mirco-managed time/short staffed/no praise for anything well done
Not a real friendly environment when I first started but I always smiled and said good morning and it improved immensely.
Clinical Research Assistant I (Current Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIApril 24, 2016
I have a variety of tasks which keeps the job interesting. The part I do not like about my position is the absence of advancement opportunities. I want to improve, learn more skills and move ahead but I feel quite stagnant in my role. I learned quite a bit about DNA testing and became familiar with laboratory equipment. Through this position I became proficient with different computer programs and since I am very meticulous, found that keeping accurate and confidential secure patient records in order was gratifying. Management was fine except, as previously stated, I would prefer to have opportunities for advancement which were not offered. I have wonderful co-workers and get along extremely well with everyone I encounter. One of my tasks is calibrating lab equipment and I have to constantly ask each lab employee when they will be utilizing the equipment and for how long and then hopefully I can accomplish my tasks when the machines are free. Because there are quite a few employees who utilize the equipment most of the day, it is difficult to schedule a few hours to complete my tasks. My favorite part of the job is the monthly billing and keeping accurate records of all patient testing that is done in the lab and being able to locate a file immediately when needed.
Pros
Good health care benefits and retirement plan. A somewhat flexible schedule.
Cons
Do not feel I had the proper training when I was first hired and actually throughout my time here.
Work Life Balance
Administrative Assistant/Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Wauwatosa, WIFebruary 1, 2017
MCW as a company seemed to work hard to make their employees happy. Each department was different in how their workers were treated, some better than others.
Excellent working conditions, good learning experience.
Research Associate (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIMarch 24, 2016
Many opportunities to acquire new skills and knowledge. Good interaction between different departments and resource centers. Excellent facilities.
Pros
Stimulating academic environment, good benefits.
Cons
Stress due to funding and compliance issues.

Want to know more about Medical College of Wisconsin?

Ask a question
Picture perfect until cameras are off
Education Program Coordinator II (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIDecember 15, 2016
Managers are not in tune with staff. Very class centric environment. Degrees are more important than personality. Grounds are nice and parking is accessible.
Pros
good pay
Cons
Poor management accountability
Highly intellectual work environment
Training Specialist II (Current Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIFebruary 18, 2016
The Medical College of Wisconsin is a great place to work. There are a variety of employment opportunities that create a wonderful, diverse work culture.
Pros
Excellent benefits
It is a very productive, collaborative and respectful environment
Postdoctoral Fellow (Current Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIDecember 16, 2016
It is a collaborative environment that encourages learning, self improvement and scientific productivity. I have enjoyed the experience working with other labs and other administrative officials
Faculty oriented
Program Coordinator II (Current Employee) –  Milwaukee, WISeptember 23, 2016
MCW is not interested in developing staff. Solely focus on faculty development and retention. Career advancement non-existent. Managers do not have staff personal development at the forefront.
Excellent academic culture
CLINICAL LIAISON (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIJanuary 19, 2017
The MCW offers a unique opportunity to learn and grow within an academic setting. The institution is filled with opportunity ti dive into the research and investigation arenas which I found very fulfilling.
Short work history through Temporary Service
Orthopedic Medical Transcriptionist (Former Employee) –  Wauwatosa, WIJanuary 12, 2017
Short work span through temporary service. Not long enough to make a review. Truly do not remember experience at Medical College.
STAR-Standardized patient
Standardized Patient (Current Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIDecember 14, 2016
I am very excited to become an extended part of the Medical College of Wisconsin and continue to assist in the learning and achieving goals for the health of our society as a whole.
Pros
Positive work environment
Cons
not full time
Biomedical Research
Lab Animal Tech II (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIJanuary 13, 2017
Cared for research animals, assisted scientists and lab personnel with experimental studies, stocked supplies, assisted veterinarian staff with medical procedures and exams
a day on the job
Medical Assistant (Current Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIAugust 24, 2012
its a great place to work for someone thats not looking to work hard. a typical day is getting vitals on patient and checking blood sugars. Every once in a while you get to assist with a biopsy. The rest of my day is spent abstracting(data entry) putting patients records in the computer. Management is nice and can flexible at times. If there is a problem it is address and handle very quickly. The hard part about my job is if our system is being updated. Then you have to go to training for the new system. The enjoyable part of the job is working with a team of Great people. Out of all of my 13 years of working as a medical assistant, I never worked with such nice people.
Pros
flexible, staff is great, benefits excellent
Cons
not very busy, slow pace, lots of data entry
This place is far from professional
Appointment Scheduler (Former Employee) –  Research ParkJune 15, 2016
Starting with managements, the building is full of negative energy, manager and supervisors very unprofessional, they don't care about their employee's and there is no job security if you ever had a real job where the company cares about their employee's (you would understand). They don't tell you in your interview that you will not get time off for 7 months regardless what's going on in your life. They are very immature leaders and nik pick by listening to your calls, they will never say anything positive. Training is very poor quality and team Lead is very unprofessional, spend more time gossiping and sharing personal information than training. You get (2) ten minutes breaks, you are not allowed to use your cell phones in the building. Lunch is 30 minutes, no ice or water machine nor microwave in your work area, your break and lunch will be used up going down stairs to get water and waiting to use microwave. You are not allowed to be one minute late regardless of the weather but they will ask that you stay late to help out with referrals. The computers are dysfunctional and they will not try to help you get it corrected, everyday you will be calling the help desk and get the run around. Trust me when I say there is definitely misery love in the building and more so in the leadership.
Pros
none, nothing professional, energy negative, manager, supervisors
Cons
everything you can think of that's a poor quality job

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Medical College of Wisconsin. Our community is ready to answer.

Medical College of Wisconsin Reviews by Location