Medical College of Wisconsin

Medical College of Wisconsin United States Employee Reviews

Productive environment with lot of well educated, hard working and ambitious people.
LABORATORY SUPERVISOR (Current Employee), Milwaukee, WIMarch 12, 2015
Pros: clinical educational and research efforts are interconnected, the environment is collaborative more than competitive.
Cons: meeting presentations and training attendance and travel have to be earned, funding is insecure, work force fluctuation is high.
Regular work requires lot of reading and education, learning new techniques and conducting edge cutting medical research. Even standard procedures have to be carried on with diligence and require constant adjustments, trouble shooting, independent thinking and flexibility. Management is there to provide funding and support for the research efforts. Your research results and data should be presented in order to earn you support from the management. Management depends on NIH for funding, and school tuition. The funding was very unpredictable lately. Even the best rated research (top 1%) may lose the financial support due to the bad economy impact. My co-workers are the most helpful and supportive. Interaction with co-workers is the highlight of my day. The most frustrating part of the job is unstable financial support and communication with NIH and other sponsors. They hardly understand the importance of the medical research. Even NIH experts sometimes hinder the research progress with unreasonable requirements. Combining clinical work, teaching and research does not leave you much time to look for the financial support and sponsors.
good research place with good doctors
Research Technologist III (Former Employee), HRCMarch 9, 2015
Very busy workday and a lot of dish washing and taking trash out with a masters degree in hand

No sick time allowed even with 10 sick days accumulated.

Not being able to have the work life balance and no support from management or HR

company lays you off after close to 5 year of service when you become expensive and hires new recruits right after. No ethic what so ever
Great People, Lots of good research
Research Technologist II (Current Employee), Basic Science BuildingMarch 7, 2015
Pros: healthcare, stimulating projects
Cons: low pay compared to industry
Stimulating atmosphere with many different fields of biology. Learned lots of new skills from working with live virus to doing cancer research with animals. Co-workers and management are very accommodating. Most enjoyable part of the job was getting to travel to conferences and present research. Hardest part of the job was planning experiments weeks in advance and working long days to meet goals.
I worked for 13 years at the Medical College with multiple promotions.
Sr Admin.Asst., Clinic Sup, Research Coord. (Former Employee), Milwaukee, WIFebruary 22, 2015
Pros: accomodating
I started as a Clerk/Typist and was ultimately promoted 5 times to Senior Administrative Assistant to the Chairman of the Department of Medicine before I was 20. I worked through nursing school and they were very accommodating. I immediately upon graduation was placed in the Gastroenterology Division as the Clinic Supervisor and Research Coordinator. I was then approached to facilitate and oversee the largest obesity study in the Midwest. I traveled around the Midwest with a hired phlebotomist and coordinated family outings and facility rooms to collect data, blood and reports. I ran with this position as I do any job I get. I am a quick learner and a team player.
So/so
Patient Services Representative II (Current Employee), Wauwatosa, WIJanuary 23, 2015
Pros: decent wages
Cons: management
MCW is a good place to get some great experience. It is not the easiest place to get into, but if you do, it looks great on your resume. They are very strict with their attendance policy, so if you are not an on-time & dedicated worker, don't bother.
Very helpful and understanding boss and co-workers
Summer Research Student (Former Employee), Milwaukee, WIDecember 8, 2014
Pros: free lunch and excursions
I start work by 9am and finish by 5pm. I learned a great deal in immunohistochemistry and mouse handling techniques. The management is very efficient and my co-workers. The hardest part of my job was when i was getting familiarized with handling the mice. The most enjoyable part of the job was going on trips with my co-workers and boss, and the free lunch.
Great learning opportunity but job security is not stable.
Research Technologist II (Current Employee), Milwaukee, WINovember 24, 2014
Pros: the ability to learn skills that are not readily available to most people outside of research.
Cons: the only con for me was working under a grant with limited funds where your job can quickly end.
My past 8 years working at the Medical College of Wisconsin provided me with the opportunity to learn a variety of different skills from stereotaxic neurosurgery to behavior testing of rodents for Parkinson's disease. This position allowed me to research established techniques and develop ones that hadn't yet been accomplished at MCW. I thoroughly enjoyed working for my boss and with my co-workers as they were extremely supportive and eager to share their expertise with me.

While I enjoyed all aspects of my job, the most rewarding part was knowing that I was potentially part of team that may find treatment or a cure for existing diseases.
MCW was a great place to work overall and I would be very happy to work there on a permanent basis.
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee), Milwaukee, WIOctober 13, 2014
Pros: the convenience of deli's, coffee shops, cafeteria
Cons: road/building construction in the area
I worked at MCW for seven weeks as a temp. I gained valuable experience using Outlook to manage and schedule meetings/appointments. I answered the phone, handled the department mail and entered information into an Excel spreadsheet on a daily basis. The staff were all very pleasant to work with. The hardest part of the job was prioritizing work when it was a particularly hectic day. The most enjoyable part of the job was seeing the daily calendar flow smoothly due to accurate management.
Good company but division is dealing with mulitple challenges internally and externally
Division Administrator-Cardiothoracic Surgery (Current Employee), Milwaukee, WISeptember 16, 2014
Pros: good people dedicated to doing their best
Cons: lack of direction in certain divisions, which makes decision making a challenge, at times it feels like we are competing with ourselves.
Due to the numerous challenges mentioned above this has been a sometimes frustrating place to work. I enjoy working with direct reports very much but find some of the administration to micro-manage and be controlling. Politics of this specialty play a large factor in the dissatisfaction of this particular job.
Great employer, Great work environment
Cancer Center Financial Counselor (Former Employee), Milwaukee, WIAugust 17, 2014
Had a chance to be a part of something great in our community - really felt like working each day meant making a difference!
Great
Certified Medical Assistant (Former Employee), West Allis, WIAugust 17, 2014
Froedtert and the Medical College of Wisconsin is a wonderful place to work. They offer great pay and benefits. Work environment is clean and pleasant.
co workers were like family
Patient Relations Representative II (Former Employee), 1115 N Mayfair Rd,Wauwatosa,wi 53226July 29, 2014
Pros: opportunity to work urgent care clinics
Cons: no breaks
Registering patients for Drs appointments ,for internal med, family med ,and med peds. collecting all necessary insurance information,co pays, explaining my chart which is a electronic access to your personal chart.

Making sure all office supplies are stocked, and the lobby is clean, giving a friendly and positive environment for patients. Through out the day filing faxes and organizing them for the RNs and MAs , looking up all patients for medication refills and putting on MRN numbers.

At the end of the day running US bank reports for all the PASRs co pays and banking the money.
Prodcutive workplace
Research Scientist I (Current Employee), Milwaukee, WIJuly 24, 2014
Good to work at the medical college. State of the art research facilities. Decent funding opportunities for various types of research. Collaborative environment.
Awesome place to work: great benefits, fun people to work with, excellent pay
Research Technologist (Former Employee), Milwaukee, WIJune 29, 2014
Pros: excellent health care, excellent pay, fun coworkers
Cons: some days i didn't have enough work to fill a full day
I loved working at this job. My coworkers and supervisors were fun and great to work with. I enjoyed what I did very much. I got to work with animals and work in a laboratory environment which is great because I went to school to study biology. I worked part of an excellent team who was doing great things for medicine. My pay and health benefits were top notch. The only reason I left is because I wanted to pursue a degree in nursing; however, I ended up deciding that nursing wasn't for me
productive and fun workplace
Assistant Professor (Current Employee), Milwaukee, WIJune 29, 2014
Do cardiovascular experiments in the mouse, read paper, write grant or review manuscripts for some journals, and have a meeting with my co-workers.

My co-workers are great.

The hardest part of my job is to get grants to support our research.

The most enjoyable part of the job is doing experiments in rodents.
Medical College is wonderful place to attend college to become a doctor
Administrative Assistant II (Current Employee), Milwaukee, WIMay 31, 2014
Pros: great benefits
Cons: short breaks
Overall the Medical College of Wisconsin is a nice place to work with great benefits.
Health care setting
Administrative Coordinator Operations (Current Employee), Milwaukee, WIMay 5, 2014
Pros: opporutunity to work a number of area.
Cons: changes occuring quickly without adequate direction and guidance.
• Develop and implement recruitment procedures for the department.
• Monitor talent development process for the department.
• Develop and maintain central tracking mechanism for recruitment, credentialing and performance management.
• Analyze and review position descriptions for all staff to maintain legal compliance.
• Participate in strategic planning with respect to department workforce planning activities.
• In absence of a Division Administrator, supervise division/department administrative staff.
Multi-Task
Supervisor (Former Employee), Milwaukee, WIMarch 6, 2014
I enjoyed working with my team to collect outstanding revenue.

I enjoyed working with other Supervisor to solve problems.
Great work, not so great management and peer interaction
Research Technologist (Former Employee), Wauwatosa, WIFebruary 11, 2014
Pros: wages, benefits, opportunity
Cons: poor communication with coworkers, managers
The opportunities, compensation, and benefits at the Medical College of Wisconsin are amazing. Personally I found the work I was doing to be great. My problems with the Medical College, which led to me leaving my job there, is the poor communication between the management and the employees and the poor interaction between coworkers that I experienced. My bosses did not tell me everything I needed to know about the work they wanted me to do or offer me adequate help to achieve in the lab. My coworkers were closed off and they as well failed to be transparent about the workplace or themselves. This led to me having an experience where I felt isolated and that I was trying to break into the sphere of management and my coworkers rather than them allowing me or welcoming me into it.
good working environment
HRIS Faculty Affairs Intern (Current Employee), Milwaukee,WIFebruary 8, 2014
It feels comfortable and nice to work for Medical college of Wisconsin. The co-workers are all nice and friendly.

1 2 3