Medical College of Wisconsin Employee Reviews

Perfect way to get into molecular biology
Research Associate I (Current Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIJanuary 26, 2016
The mentorship received at MCW has made me into a better scientist. Access to many different disciplines has afforded me the opportunity to learn for many different PIs
Constant Change
Manager (Current Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIJanuary 18, 2016
If you love change, change is constant. Very much enjoy the years that I have spent at MCW. The purpose, mission and the vision is what had kept me at the MCW.
Typical Day At Work
Clinical Practice Services Representative (Current Employee) –  Wauwatosa, WIJanuary 12, 2016
• Daily administrative duties, including handling numerous phone calls, emails, faxes.
• Receives incoming calls from Froedtert/Medical College patients to schedule their appointments. (canceling/Rescheduling)
• Handles and process incoming referrals. Register patients in epic, adding and verifying insurances.
• Work hands on with nurses/PA/MA and clinics getting patients schedules for all types of appointments (F/U,pre-admission to surgery, workers comp. etc.)
Micro Management at it's worst
Assist Froedtert and Medical College of Wisconsin (Current Employee) –  10000 Innovation Dr. Milwaukee WI 53206January 6, 2016
I currently work in Appointment Services and assist Medical College and Froedtert with scheduling patients for primary care and OB/GYN specialty. The job requires you to be available to answer phones at least 90 percent of the time but they also require that you do other tasks such as answer email requests, referrals, and follow up on various patient requests. This is a very high volume call center but I am used to it being that I had previously worked for a retail corporate office, but the way management treats there employees is horrible. If you leave your desk to use the bathroom you have to put up a sign that says "im in the bathroom"....if you are on break another sign....if you are away from your desk to fax something to the hospital another sign....on top of all that you are not guaranteed a break only a 30 minute lunch. For the Christmas party one of the manager's made soup and brought in cake...yes that was considered our Christmas party beyond cheap. I have worked for small company's and some large but this is a College and a Hospital. They don't want you speaking with each other at all verbally and prefer that you IM each other if you need to converse in regard to business matters. Also they would rather you use there phones for personal calls instead of cell phones....so basically they want to monitor and record all of your conversations even the personal ones. In the short time I have worked for this company I have witnessed at least 3 employee's quit per week. It was such a large turn over in the last year that HR came in to evaluate what it would take  more... to keep the employees happy. They had meetings with all of the employees separate from management to have a free discussion and I think the person taking notes was so overwhelmed and shocked she apologized afterward. I think this place has some changes to make if they plan on keeping quality employees, starting with Management.  less
Pros
Pay, insurance benefits
Cons
no breaks, no perks, micro management, no chance to advance
My Bio-medical Work At MCW
Engineer II (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIDecember 15, 2015
I was in charge of all the new bio-medical devices at MCW. I would design , Build , Repair , Service all types of medical Equipment and systems in operation.
Pros
Good Benefits .
Cons
Management .
Excellent Benefits
Pre Arrival Scheduling Lead (Former Employee) –  Wauwatosa, WINovember 2, 2015
Management never looks at things from the employees perspective. They do not take into consideration that people have a life outside of work and that life happens.
Pros
Cons
Short breaks, lunches, very strict
Simple Tasks
Packing & Shipping (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIOctober 29, 2015
This was not a difficult job, shipping and receiving is fairly straight forward. The hours were good and my fellow employees were nice.
Fun
Parent Mentor (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIOctober 16, 2015
Family like work environment. Free weekly gatherings for the parent mentors as well as the families with food, games and learning projects.
Very high demanding
Surgical Coding Specialist III (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee,WIOctober 9, 2015
code surgeries for Pediatric Surgery and Pediatric Urology. Meet with physicians and reimbursement manager to discuss coding and billing issues.
Pros
n/a
Cons
workload very demanding
General lab management and experiment
Research technologist in cancer prevention lab (Current Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIOctober 5, 2015
The fun part of this job is that I can communicate with biotech sales or department administrative to order supplies and do research at the same time.
If you like constant change, this place is for you
AA III to the Chief & Transplant Medical Director (Current Employee) –  Wauwatosa, WISeptember 18, 2015
Strict business environment. Constant change, must be able to adapt quickly. A decent amount of red tape and politics, but I guess this is expected with such a big company.
Cons
Benefits arent so good, pay is lower than average, stale atmosphere
Friendly person with good sense of humor very co-operative with co-workers
Post doctor fellow (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee WisconsinSeptember 11, 2015
A)Clinical duties
Perform tests in all sections of the laboratory including hematology, bacteriology,
chemistry, urinalysis, serology, immunohematology and immunology.
Collecting blood specimen, inoculating cultures needed to identify bacteria,
monitoring the quality control of tests and procedures.
B)Research duties
-Involved in data analysis, and questionnaire design.
- Accurately record information on computer databases.
- Accurately monitoring, investigating and analyzing all statistical information.
-Performing laboratory techniques including DNA isolation ,lymphocytes isolation
from blood samples, exposure to PCR and SNP genotyping.
MCW is a great place to work.
Coding Specialist III--Physician Services (Current Employee) –  Milwaukee, WISeptember 11, 2015
I have learned a lot at MCW. All of the coding knowledge that I have is due to working at MCW. Always Very, Very Busy 8 hrs a day.
Pros
The MCW providers!
Cons
No time for Breaks and sometime Lunch
Great company
Patient Service Representative II (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WISeptember 8, 2015
Scheduling appointments and taking messages from patients. Medical College was a great company but couldnt grow with them.
Research Nurse I (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIAugust 30, 2015
exciting to be on the edge of medical care, something new every week, co-workers are creative and supportive, Managers, food, parking and wages below average
Pros
educational possibilities
Cons
middle management
Kept up with technology, interdepartmental meetings
Commerical Reimbursement Supervisor (Former Employee) –  milwaukee wisconsinJuly 25, 2015
The world is constantly evolving and MCW stayed on top of these changes. Job was very challenging and demanding and I was always up for the fight. To make sure each department can handle life changes it was a must to share area of concerns with each other such as marketing, customer service, and the various department heads.
Pros
decent wages
Cons
very busy, breaks were sometimes non existent
Productive and very team oriented, ejoy work atmosphere
Senior Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIJune 5, 2015
The management in Special Needs is very supportive and open to process improvements. The hardest part of my job is knowing that a percentage of the children we serve will pass away. The team in this program is seamless. Everyone works well together and you'll never hear "that's not my job" I've learned a great deal about rare diseases, family dynamics and what is important to parents.
Diversified organization
Teen-Tot Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIMay 7, 2015
Great teaching facility from pediatrics to adolescent. Three morning out of the week I travel to a high school were I manage a school base clinic in which we provide Reproductive and Comprehensive healthcare. My position is funded through grant funding, I also coordinate a Teen tot clinic where we see both mother and child at the same time providing general healthcare (Well child care, acute visits, updating immunizations, contraceptive management, and STI screening as well as treatment).Our program consist of Adolescent Professor, 2 Nurse Practitioners, 2 Certified Medical Assistants, Program Director, and 1 Administrative Assistant. I do a lot of birth control counseling, administrating (Depo Provera, Nuva Ring, Mirena, OCP's) and assisting in surgical implantation (Nexplanon). The hardest findings on this job is with all of the birth control methods that are on the market, we still see an increase in teenage pregnancy and increase in STI's. I'm a firm believer that wisdom is knowledge and I feel if I've helped one person then I've done my job. I have and will always take pride in what I do in the care that I'm able to provide within the knowledge that I have obtained throughout the years as a Medical Assistant. It is a ministry for me.
Pros
Rembursment program for employee
Cons
Not being compensated for the skilled care that I provide
Hard working and fun to work with.
Patient Registrar I (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIMay 2, 2015
I like to learn new jobs and new things that will help me advance. I like to type,file and answer phone calls. I have worked in 7 insurance websites and epic.
Pros
nice people
Cons
short breaks
Great place to work in
Retina Fellow (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIApril 15, 2015
Great place to learn Retina clinical research and the retina faculty are highly skilled physicians and researchers with state-of-the-art labs and facilities.