Medical Facilities of America

Medical Facilities of America Employer Reviews

I wouldnt recommended working here
cna (Former Employee), richmond VirginiaSeptember 9, 2014
Pros: love the residents
Cons: bad management they put to much on cnas
Very unsafe patient to cna ratio, the work is back breaking they dont take into consideration the physical labor of an assignment They just go down the line and who is in your set no matter how difficult it my be that s who your assigned to nurses hardly ever help when your short and they expect you to be a miracle worker when your only one person all – more... I no is Im not letting this place break my back – less

September 16, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts. We take great pride in delivering the highest quality skilled nursing and rehabilitation care to our patients. All of our employees have the opportunity to touch people’s lives every day by being an integral part of their care and recovery. It is a meaningful, and deeply important responsibility. Your perspective is appreciated, and we will pass your feedback along to our leadership team.

Virginia Beach VA
cna (Former Employee), Virginia Beach, VAAugust 7, 2014
Pros: pay is ok
Cons: management is horrible they are quick to release you and nobody care about you
This job is not worth working at I only work a couple months before considering another job they do not care about the employees management is horrible and they treat you like your nothing I enjoyed working with certain people and the residents but management is never understanding they just quick to find fault in you and fire you. Not a good place – more... to work please take your experience somewhere else. – less

August 27, 2014

We thank you for your review, and are sorry to hear about your experience. Your perspective is appreciated, and we will pass your feedback along to our leadership team.

Dont waste your time at Carolina Rehab of Cumberland!
LPN charge nurse (Former Employee), Fayetteville NCJuly 18, 2014
Pros: benefits
Cons: too many to name
This is a terrible place to work. You never know when your last day will be. They fire one person for something and give another person with the same offense a slap on the wrist. The unit manager for the long term hall routinely curses at staff and belittles them constantly. The DON is aware and does nothing about it. If you are not in their inner circle – more... , you can forget about advancement and watch your back. When the state comes in they lie to pass the visit. Do not apply to this company!! – less

August 5, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I’m sorry to hear that you did not have a positive experience. What you described is certainly not up to the standards that we have here at Medical Facilities of America. We take your concerns very seriously and appreciate the feedback.

Company is the worst ever! MFA and Charlottesville Health and Rehabilitation Center
laborer (Former Employee), Charlottesville, VAJune 27, 2014
Cons: non caring treatment of patients, long term residents and employees
THE STATE SHOULD SHUT THIS CENTER DOWN!!! This company treats the new patients horribly. The short staffed and underpaid employees cannot handle the work load and management continues to bring in new patients.

Corporate and onsite management have deaf ears and cannot see what is in front of them. Management is a joke. No one enjoys working there. Patients – more... families should take their loved ones elsewhere. – less

July 14, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I’m sorry to hear that you did not have a positive experience. What you described is certainly not up to the standards that we have here at Medical Facilities of America. We take your concerns very seriously and appreciate the feeeback.

August 12, 2014

We thank you for your review, and are sorry to hear about your experience. The well-being of our patients and employees is a top priority for us at MFA, and we are proud of our team of employees that provides exceptional care and service each day. We are constantly looking at ways to improve our processes, and remain focused on hiring talented and caring staff. Your perspective is valuable, and we will pass your feedback on to our leadership team.

September 2, 2014

Post a number and email address that employees and former employees can communicate with.

Horrible Place to Work
HR Manager (Former Employee), SwannanoaJune 20, 2014
Pros: residents, coworkers
Cons: administrator, corporate support
As a manager in this company, you are asked to turn a blind eye at unethical behavior lead by the current Administrator. Turnover is extremely high in this building and especially with department heads; mainly due to the Administrator micro-managing and targeting department heads if they aren't in her circle. As a manager, I had been targeted for attendance – more... (although I was exempt and never called out) and when I asked how this could take place because I don't punch a clock, the response was she was waiting and watching me come in to work. I also have been targeted for questioning resident abuse. How do we allow staff to abuse residents and only give them a verbal warning? There is no consistency in that facility. The Administrator is making non-exempt employees sign off that they took a lunch even though they worked through their lunch to save money. You are not allowed to take PTO and are expected to put in 10 hour days regardless to whether your work is done or not. If you do not want to focus on customer service then this is the place for you. The Administrator tells staff they are ineffective at their jobs and with this kind of encouragement, it is no wonder why the nursing administration turnover rate is over 200%. And don't bother looking to the Corporate office or any of its affiliates to help. When I did so, I was encouraged to seek other employment.

The residents at this facility are just precious. It happened to be the one thing I enjoyed while working here. Unfortunately, it is not about their care. It is disheartening to work for a company that has peoples' families in their care and all they are concerned about is the dollar. I loved the team I once worked with and outside of the Administrator and DON, they really do care about what happens to the residents in that facility. – less

July 14, 2014

Its a job
LPN Charge Nurse (Current Employee), Courtland, VAMay 27, 2014
Its just like all long term, skilled nursing places. They will work with your scheduled.
Not GOOD place to work
Ex-employee (Former Employee), Swannanoa, NCApril 18, 2014
This company has many faults beginning with ADMINISTRATION!!!
at Asheville Health Care the mainly search for warm bodies. If you are a new nurse then come on down, get a management position then sink with the rest of them. You will not get good orientation for the position as our SDC that has been with the facility longer then any other has left too(she – more... was Good).
Policy and procedures means nothing to this company!!! If you get in good with the person who is acting as the DON (can't keep no one in that position either) you can do as you please. The acting DON spends more time on her cell phone then she does doing anything else. No wonder all the other employees don't get called out when they are using theirs at inappropriate times. The only time the slackers stay on top of things is when State is in the building. It makes it hard for the ones who work there and really care about the residents. Policies are made to follow and keeps companies out of trouble when followed!
State has been in the building 3 times in 2 months because of complaints. Again if the policies were enforced for everyone including Administration it would be a better place.
They need Unit Managers, DON, SDC, Social Worker/Discharge Planner, Weekend Supervisor, 2nd shift Supervisor.... All of these positions are management/ Administration. That's not to mention the high turn over for CNA and Nurses.

So if you don't care about GOOD resident care or your nursing license/CNA certifications then go to ASHEVILLE HEALTH CARE CENTER!!!!

By the way don't give the interim DON your CNA decertification paper to sign and mail cause she will loose it and you won't be recertified!!!! – less
Needs work
RN, BSN Transitional Care Unit Manager (Former Employee), pulaski vaApril 15, 2014
Has potential, needs to start from the top. Pt care could definitely be better. Therapy team is awesome though.
Busy
COTA/L (F/T and PRN) (Former Employee), Roanoke, VAMarch 19, 2014
Good PRN place to work.
Friendly co-workers
Good place to advance if desired.
Huge Turnover rate/Bad Administration
certified nursing assistant (Former Employee), Lexington, NCMarch 16, 2014
There is a huge turnover in the nursing department and the administrative staff does not do anything to fix the problems with the facility. Do not work here you will be miserable.
Horrible disrespectful staff.
cook (Former Employee), norfolk, vaMarch 12, 2014
Cons: no real breaks horrible management residents being abused as well
The employees and management treat the residents horrible. Absolutely the worst company i ever had to work for. Nobody should have to be treated there or work there. ABSOLUTELY HORRIBLE!!!!
Great supporting staff/horrible management
Former Employee (Former Employee), VirginiaJanuary 23, 2014
Pros: patients and supporting staff
Cons: management, salary, short lunch, work major holidays, short staffed, constant turnover
Great staff, very supportive. Issues lie with management/nursing,housekeeping/dietary, etc. Poor treatment of staff that are not managers/superiority issues. Complaints fall on deaf ears in corporate. Those with titles stay in power, common workers fall short. Patients are great to work with but housekeeping, nursing, therapists are just miserable, – more... huge turnover rates. Supposedly competitive salary...not! Avoid! – less
I felt that "we" were a family.
LPN (Former Employee), Burlington, NCJanuary 17, 2014
Pros: too numerous to mention.
Cons: there was a change in management at the end of my "tour" & things quickly started going south.
My 11 yr experience with MFA was a wonderful learning & growing experience. My typical 16hr day was very busy, but filled with much joy & fulfillment. I was very close to my immediate co-workers & there was always teamwork in the building. I had 2 very important mentors & learned very much from teaching, knowledge & patience.
I will forever be grateful.
A huge dissapointment and a shame
Dining Services Aide (Former Employee), Lynchburg, VaJanuary 2, 2014
Pros: polite residents, easy work
Cons: everything
The worst job you could ever possibly have. Management at this facility is extremely horrible and runs like a dictatorship. NO employee has a voice there no matter who you are and how hard you work. Constant lying and drama is created daily between co-workers within all of the staffing departments in this facility. Very, very low pay. Do not expect – more... to make more than 8 grand a year. The dietary manager will constantly screw with your money, vacation time, and will cut a lot of your hours without your permission or warning and if confronted about such things will cause you the employee an IMMEDIATE written up referral. 95% of staff are beyond rude and if something is said to the head administator about the problem then nothing will be done about it at all. All problems will not and have not been solved due to the lack of care and emotion at this facility. All kitchen equipment are EXTEMELY old and fragile and will constantly break down every single night. Short staffed EVERY day. More work and pressure is thrown on constantly with no help from fellow co-workers. Management is VERY ignorant and sad to say they are also racist as well. – less
Great Learning Experience
Administrator (Former Employee), Roanoke, VANovember 15, 2013
I was able to learn how to operate different size facilities within drastically different geographic and demographic locations.
Challenging and rewarding occupation
Admissions and Marketing Director (Current Employee), Louisa, VANovember 8, 2013
Pros: patient and community contact on a daily basis. bonuses for census overachievement.
Cons: long drives.
Fast paced from the morning until late afternoon in securing information for census database, working up contracts with insurance companies and/or verifying payment sources through federal or state agencies. I have learned in order to be successful, you must be able to reach out and relate not only to your consumers, but to your team mates as well so – more... that you are working towards a common goal. My co-workers are extraordinary individuals committed to the overall patient experience. The hardest part of my job is seeing a patient leave even though it's been a very beneficial part of their life and they are going on to independence at home. The most enjoyable part of my job is to see those same patients come back for reunions. – less
HR made everything HORRIBLE!!
CNA (Former Employee), Culpeper, VAOctober 23, 2013
Pros: had a great unit manager
Cons: hr, only half hour lunches, understaffed, underpaid
From the moment you walked thru the doors and clocked in you were walking on egg shells. HR was absolutely horrible and when you complain to corporate about the problems everyone was having with this one person you were disregarded.
This place is always understaffed and underpaid. I would have stayed just because of my residents but i could no longer – more... deal with having to work with HR. – less
HORRIBLE MANAGEMENT!!! at Culpeper health and Rehab
CNA (Former Employee), Culpeper, VASeptember 13, 2013
Pros: good health care and dental benefits
Cons: always short staffed, some charge nurses hardly help cna's when they're short staffed, unit 2 manager/ hr manager use favoritism among employees.
mostly short staffed unless there's a visit from state. unit 2 unit manager and HR manager are not fair to employees, they are very rude and talk to employees as if they are beneath them. they follow up on incidents only if it benefits them and if they don't like an employee, they look for ways to get them fired. They concentrate on themselves instead – more... of on the residents. The administrator and D.O.N, never come to the floor at least to check on the residents and employees, I worked there for 6 months before knowing the name of the administrator which is sad. however, the A.D.O.N was awesome. The hardest part of my job there was working with 2 aides, 30 residents per aide for 3 days in a row sometimes. it was a horrible experience. The only thing i enjoyed about working there are my residents. i loved them and they loved me. besides that, I never felt appreciated even though i put in a 100% work and dedication. They need a better and fair management staff. – less
This was one of the best run corporations I had the previlage to work for.
Administrator (Former Employee), Harrisonburg, VAAugust 20, 2013
Pros: there was a fantastic upper management team. they were very intelligent people.
Cons: having to leave the staff and residents.
My day started at 7:30 a.m. and ended at 6:00/6:30 p.m.

I learned that working for an intelligent upper management team was enjoyable. It created a desire within me to work hard to please them.

I followed my HCR Regional Manager to Virginia. He was a great gentlemen to work for. He told me to run the facility as I saw fit. He was very supportive as – more... to how the facility was being run. On the Annual Survey, we received a Bronze Award for the Division. The facility was cited for three (3) Ds and one (1) E. We had a HUD survey where we scored a ninty-eight percent (98%).

The staff were great to work with. They definitely had Southern hospitality. They were very kind to the residents and their families.

The reason for me leaving the facility was because I could not sell my home in Michigan. I had two (2) major house payments which I could not afford at that time.

The hardest part about the position was leaving the staff and residents. I still have very good friends I keep in touch with there.

The most enjoyable part of the job was working for the upper management team and working with a great staff. The DON was a great lady to work with. – less
Great Company
Human Resource Manager (Current Employee), Chesapeake, VAAugust 3, 2013
Pros: great people, great benefits, competative pay
Cons: the facility is open 24 hours/7 days a week
Great company to work for. Very employee oriented and I stay very busy at work which is nice. Most enjoyable part is helping my staff with things like benefits.