Medical Mutual

Medical Mutual Employer Reviews

management needs training in many aspects of their job
Customer Service Specialist (Current Employee), ohioDecember 10, 2014
Pros: pay, location
Cons: everyting else short of them calling you pon's in your face.
very poor connection,lacks of concern.. work and nothing else, you may get some lunch but you still don't feel appreciated cause you cant eat it cause they wont let you off the phone. just not structured properly for employees, need to find another job not what i had in mind at all when I was wanting to work here. the pay is good but not good enough to feel so under appreciated and lacks a clear connection for growth..buyer beware..its not all its cracked up to be the surveys are of people who have been in positions and are gravy making 45,000 a year to answer a phone who really should have retired but are easy breezy now,, a very company that does not look at your performance for real-especially when your manager knows nothing and i mean nothing about systems, processes and call handling but thy know if your cool with kissing up and working ot all the time your golden,..again buyer beware i need to find balance in work and this aint it
Very exciting place, always changes. Fun employee/ manager environment
Customer Care Specialist (Former Employee), Beachwood, OhioOctober 27, 2014
Pros: lots of employee functions
A typical day at work would be, logging into the system and getting ready to take calls about benefits or claims.

I learned a lot about medical insurance and how it all works and how important is to know what type of plan you have.

The mangers are awesome they're always willing to listen when you need to talk and when you're doing a good it is recognized.

The hardest part is when a member doesn't have to coverage for something the need medically and I have to be the one to tell them.

The most enjoyable part is I get to help people and its mostly a customer based type of job and I love that because I love working with people.
constantly changing,fast pace work environment
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee), Cleveland, OHSeptember 23, 2014
customer service is the key
I have learned a lot about how medical benefits and claims process
Great place
Staff Accountant (Former Employee), Cleveland, OHSeptember 1, 2014
Great company, and great career advancement programs. I was working in the company accounting department, and had the chance to work with the college interns that was doing there accounting rotation at the time. Medical Mutual is a great family feeling company, and they really care about the concerns there employees have.
Good company to work for
Customer Care Specialists (Current Employee), Cleveland, OHAugust 15, 2014
Like working for a company with stability. Great compensation also.
If I could go back...
Customer Care Specialist (Current Employee), Toledo, OHJuly 24, 2014
Pros: great pay for a customer service job, job security inside customer service, discounts
Cons: poor senior management, nosy co-workers, poor benefits considering you work for the insurance company, itself...
The supervisory team is wonderful. They are the only reason I gave management 4 stars. They listen and attempt to get things done. The upper management, however is full of inflated egos that worry more about looking good than making useful changes.
Customer service is one of the highest paying jobs in the company, but it is also one of the worst things to do. If you apply for the company, it's a good foot in the door, but I would apply for anything else that comes up after your probationary year. If you don't, it's easy to be unnoticed and, before long, stuck.
The people at the company that could fix things and make life easier for everyone, focus on small repairs rather than major changes.So if a customer calls in angry about one situation and we fix their particular issue, good, but what about the other 300 people calling about the same thing?! Fixing the overall issue isn't a top priority for this company.
As with any company, a lot of the employees are nosy and revert to juvenile behavior when it comes to other employees' affairs. Be cautious what you say and to whom you say it.
If you're looking for a job that will look good on future resumes, by all means, apply here, but do so with caution and begin looking elsewhere once you're settled in.
Under prior CEO was a good place to work
Customer Care Represetative (Former Employee), Cleveland, OHJuly 24, 2014
Pros: benefits
Cons: no job security
Very difficult to review fairly. After 28 years of employment was forced into early retirement.
Family oriented company
Customer Care Specialist (Former Employee), Cleveland, OHMarch 10, 2014
Pros: medical benefits
Cons: short personal time
Education in Medical benefits, productive and a wonderful place to work.
Tenured employee
Supervisor (Current Employee), Cleveland, OHMarch 5, 2014
Overall good company to work for. Benefit plan is good and the facilities are good. May be hard to advance in some areas. There are a lot of layers in the company so decision making is a slow process.
Fast paced Production Environment
Membership Representative (Former Employee), Cleveland, OHJanuary 2, 2014
Most enjoyable part of job helping customers. Hardest part lack of support.
Learned how to review medications using Corporate Medical Policy only
Medical Drug Nurse Reviewer (Former Employee), Cleveland, OhioDecember 23, 2013
Reviewed infusion and intractable high risk medications at an insurance company, using Corporate Medical Policy as the criteria.
Challenging and Exciting
Business Solutions Provider IV (Current Employee), Beachwood, OH (Suburb of Clevelend)October 16, 2013
Pros: exciting, challenging, gives you the pleasure of success.
Cons: stressful, very complex
My role at my workplace is that of a program manager. On a daily basis, I interact with the members from business area in order to discuss requirements, design and progress on the project that I handle. In addition, every other day, I am in meetings with the ISD group of our healthcare partners along with whom my company does its business. I am required to pass on the necessary details from these meetings to my colleagues, monitor their work progress and provide assistance as needed. I am also required to report on the status of the tasks that I manage to my Managers.

The application that I work in, is a very complex one and it can be both exciting and nerve racking according to the situation.
Still a Great Place to work
Provider/Financial Analyst III (Current Employee), Cleveland, OHSeptember 24, 2013
Changes due to Healthcare Reform have hurt the company and it is in a transition stage.
Good place to work in the United States
customer service representative (Former Employee), Cleveland, OHJuly 20, 2013
Pros: good benefits
Cons: not much
Worked in a variety of places such as customer service phone dept. and correspondence dept. Also worked in the dental claims dept and lastly worked for Orthodontic claims doing all orthodontics.
Culture too rigid and "Old Boys Club" type
Analyst (Current Employee), Strongsville, OHMay 14, 2013
Pros: wellness center and downtown cafeteria
Cons: limited opportunities for leadership roles.
Not very diverse at the top and management style leans more toward Theory X. Processes are way too complicated and most people involved in them are not even sure what the rules are. To advance up the ladder you have to play the "who you know" game rather than be valued by your merit, education and work ethic.
Picker International
Call Center Representative (Former Employee), Cleveland, OHApril 2, 2013
This was a wonderful position! I started out as a Parts Ordering Rep and ended up being an evening Team Leader. It was a great opportunity to move up and earn a great living. I learned a lot from this position.
Work day
Professional Contracting Coordinator (Former Employee), Cincinnati, OHOctober 16, 2012
Solving contracting issues and concerns. Applying the greatest customer service on a consistent basis. Mostly working from a computer, phone or fax machine. I enjoyed helping others but it could extremely busy during the later part of the week.
Pays well but very strange culture
Supervisor (Former Employee), Cleveland, OHAugust 9, 2012
Pros: cafeteria in the hq
Cons: very behind the times technologically and resistant to change
What's good is very good. What's bad is awful.
Some reverse discrimination issues.
Managers are warned not to be "Employee Advocates"?
Complete lack of Team Work between the Cleveland and Toledo office among top Management.
Extremely slow and resistant to change.
Medical Mutual was a fair company to work for.
Sales and Retention Representative (Former Employee), Cleveland, OHJuly 14, 2012
The compensation and benefits were in line with other companies that size.

However I felt in order to advance it was based on who you knew not your knowledge of the job.

The hours were good and over time was offer if you were a hourly employee.

The management team needed to establish more diversity.