Senior Linux System Administrator
Senior Linux Administrator
Medical Science & Computing, Inc. is searching for a System Administrator to support the National Institutes of Health (NIH). This opportunity is a full-time position with MSC and it is on-site at NIH in Bethesda, MD.
Full-time, Senior level UNIX/Linux systems administrator.
How clever are you? Are you a proponent of automated approaches to helping organizations grow? The candidate will operate, maintain, upgrade, and troubleshoot a large (1,500 server) base of Linux servers at the NCBI/NLM.
Responsibilities include hands on provisioning of services, monitoring, upgrading hardware and software, configuration management, and understanding and maintaining peripheral services and software.
Install, configure and maintain CentOS and associated applications in an automated puppet environment
Will take direction from the team lead and will work within a team-environment to achieve organizational goals.
Will provide technical solutions to a wide range of problems and user request through an established trouble ticketing system.
There are other teams responsible for Storage, Networking and Infrastructure, so this position does not require primary responsibility in those areas, but knowledge and experience in these areas are expected.
- Must have significant Linux system administration experience (likely 5+ years)
- Need to be a team player that can take direction and work closely with peers
- Must be highly versed in Linux administration and best practices
- Familiarity with enterprise network architectures
- Knowledge of monitoring toolsets and configuration management (puppet) is a plus
- Programming/scripting skills for automation including bash, PERL and Ruby
- Bachelor’s Degree in computer science, information systems, engineering or equivalent professional experience.
This position needs to be someone who is a Senior Level Linux Administrator. A college degree isn’t necessarily required. Some key words to look for puppet, CF Engine, Chef, and Bcnfg 2, these are all systems automation tools. Person needs to be someone who has been an administrator for a large number of computers, not just 5 or 10. This is a more hands on job. Someone who has only worked on the help desk, is likely not a good fit. They should know Perl, Ruby or Python reasonably well. They should be comfortable in Shell Scripting (Bash). Familiarity with CE important as well. . Past history in Bioinformatics would be a plus.