Medical University of South Carolina Employee Reviews

Great Learning Experience
Intern (Research) (Former Employee), Charleston, SCJuly 23, 2015
I learned lots of techniques in the lab. I worked with breast cancer cell lines. I have proformed western blot, growth assay, cell culture, cell lysis, BCA assay and bioinformatics.
Employment with a purpose, preserving life
Transplant Program Assistant-Kidney, Liver, Heart (Current Employee), Charleston, SCJuly 22, 2015
Knowledgeable and meaningful place of employment.
Very busy in the healthcare field but has it's rewards of saving human lives.
The hardest part of this job is when someone expires and the aftermath of addressing the families.
The most enjoyable part of my job is knowing I contributed to giving someone a second chance at life.
My fellow employees are caring and responsible individuals who share the same common interests of assisting all of our patients in obtaining a renewed sense of life preservation.
The most enjoyable part of the job.
Supply Specialist (Current Employee), Charleston, SCJuly 21, 2015
Cons: No benefits
The look on the Operating Room's staff"s faces after a successful surgery or implant has been completed. It is a joy to witness that team working as one.
Fair benefits, fair help from supervisors, busy workload
Pediatric Respiratory Therapist (Former Employee), 171 Ashley Ave Charleston, sc 29425July 18, 2015
I received my assignment and started my day. I did morning rounds, treatments, ventilator set ups for the day, and ventilator/ blood gas management for the day. I cleaned up dirty equipment, extubated patients as indicated and ordered and did whatever needed to be completed in a day.
Productive and Rewarding place to work
Certified Medical Assistant (Current Employee), Charleston, SCJuly 18, 2015
They care about their employees. They often recognize and show appreciation for all the love we show to patients, staff, visitors, and physicians.
Working with Suicidal and fall precaution patients in a hospital
Patient Companion (Current Employee), Charleston, SCJuly 10, 2015
Pros: Good at working with scheduling
Cons: Working 12 hours with Suicidal Patients
Working with suicidal patients you have to make sure the patients don't hurt themselves as far as monitoring patients every 15 mins by documenting on what the patient's doing.
PA Student
Physician Assistant - Student (Former Employee), Charleston, SCJuly 6, 2015
Great faculty and staff. Great program with good flexibility. 27 month program; first year in class and second year on clinical rotations. I feel very prepared to begin my career as a PA.
High volume contact center with great partnerships
OPERATIONS COORDINATOR/ PATIENT ACCESS SUPERVISOR (Current Employee), Charleston, SCJune 29, 2015
Pros: Insurance Benefits
Patient advocate in a high volume access center. Requires working with departmental partners to help navigate patients through the healthcare system.
Terrible place to work.
Coordinator (Former Employee), Charleston, SCJune 27, 2015
Pros: The cafeteria at the Main Hospital is good.
Cons: Employees are treated like dirt.
Avoid it if you can. Management is clueless as the whole place is run by nurses who have no business understanding. Employees are treated as disposable, upper management is only out to preserve themselves and increase their paycheck regardless of what it costs the departments they are over seeing.

MUSC is every bad joke you have ever heard about bureaucratic red tape and pork barrel spending. I have never worked at a place where lies where the norm, your manager would lie, your director would lie, and the truth would come out, and they would lie to cover that up.
Caring and team friendly place to work
Staff Pediatric Radiological Technologist (Former Employee), Charleston, SCJune 25, 2015
Pros: Team oriented
Cons: Always short of staff
Fun workplace. The staff is friendly and very helpful. The staff works as a team to deliver the best overall care for the patient. I learned to treat each patient according to their individual needs. What works for one patient does not necessarily work for the next. I learned the key to an excellent patient experience is to listen to the patient. Overall management was good. The only complaint I have is more positive reinforcement was needed. My co-workers were great. We had a lot of fun. We worked third shift so we learned to work together and rely on each other. The hardest part of the job was when a baby I had the pleasure of caring for suddenly dies. I would grow attached to the little ones. It was difficult, but it did not take away from my love of the job. The most enjoyable part of my job was seeing these little acutely ill babies get well and go home.
Excellent place to work
Business Administrator (Current Employee), Charleston, SCJune 25, 2015
Excellent place to work. A lot of opportunities for growth and benefits and retirement are the best along with tuition sponsorship to earn your degree to enhance advancement within the University. Top hospital in the State and level of research is changing what's possible.
First Pediatric Transplant Team
Transplant Patient Assistant/ CMA (Former Employee), Charleston, SCJune 16, 2015
Pros: I had the oppurtunity to meet several families and see the results of transplants.
Cons: Having to place a pt on a Hault list.
Pediatric Transplant Pt Assistant/CMA reported to the transplant team daily. Entered blood values and completed all listings to ensure pt's were enlisted on to the national transplant list for kidney, liver and heart.
Productive and Great place to work
Dietary Aide (Current Employee), Charleston, SCJune 13, 2015
Pros: Nice people, Free Food, Great benefits
Cons: Poor communcation, Lack of employees in-put
A typical day for me as an Dietary Aide usually starts either from the shifts of 5:30am-2, 6am-2:30, 11:15-7:45. I usually would clock in and set my unit that I am assigned to for the day, once I am done with that I will get on the phone and start taking the food orders of the patient. What i have learned from this job has to do with dealing with the different diets that the different patients are on. what they can and cant have and why. Management does try and make an effort to make the company and the employees feel like they do have a voice within this company. The co-workers are great very nice and helpful, they really do welcome you into the job. The hardest part of the job, can sometimes dealing with rude patients or really sick patients that take out their anger out on you, but we are trained to know how to handle situations like that so it does get easier. The most enjoyable part of my job, is when I have made a patients day by basically doing my job and getting noticed for it, knowing I made a difference in someone's life or day is what makes the job so rewarding.
I enjoy my time working there it was a experienced
Phlebotomist Coordinator (Former Employee), Charleston, SCJune 2, 2015
My job duties as the phlebotomy coordinator is to make sure all the coordinators had all the staff they need for the clinic.Responsible for overseeing scheduling and completion of training.What I learned was to be a team player take responsible .I had a great manager the management organization was very professional. My other co-workers we work very well together as a team.The hardest part of my job was to that I was able to piece together coverage with little notice..The most enjoyable part of my job was to take of my patients.
Fun place to work
Patient Care Technician - Neuro Science ICU (Current Employee), Charleston, SCJune 1, 2015
As a tech the job isn't bad. Floating around can suck since you are not sure what your job might entail on the floor or different units. For this position though, MUSC is a great place to work
Great place to work with plenty of educational opportunities
Patient Care Technician (Current Employee), Charleston, SCMay 29, 2015
I got to learn something every time I came to work.

Plenty of on-the-job training and education for future respiratory therapy career.

Hospital staff all works well as one big team with mutual respect.
Overall great experience
PACU RN (Former Employee), Charleston, SCMay 7, 2015
Pros: large hospital- good experience
Cons: management, new computer system
MUSC had an awesome orientation. The only problem I had was with one manager, who unfortunately, was leaving and didn't care about much else. I overslept for my first night shift in 2 years and was terminated. She also made comments about being 6 minutes late 2 times. One of the times was when I helped another patient with directions. It was also when EPIC, a new computer system was introduced, and everyone was on edge. I think that overall, it was a short and sweet experience.
Dependable and Accoountable
Transplant Program Assistant (Current Employee), Charleston, SCMay 7, 2015
I learn my job to the best of my ability and ask questions so I can find ways to be more efficient in my position. I utilize all my resources to learn where to access all my job tools to ensure I am efficient with my time management. I take detailed notes of specific things that are important to my position for reference material that is not in any database to refer to. Also any task that is ask to perform outside of my job duties/ responsibility I will perform b/c I want to benefit the company by knowing more than one job duty and learn more about the company vision and goals so you can help them execute being a great company. Based on the priority of time restrictions and deadlines The multitask depends on the priority of each task. For example, if the big task which takes 45 min is priority then do that 1st however, if all the task are due around the same time then start the small task first so some of the task will be completed and then do the big task.... If there are many small tasks to be completed I will fill in the gaps of free moments to get them done. For example if I have to fax a document I will fax the document on the way to the paper shredded or trash can. I make use of my time effectively.
Beautiful Scenery for a slave
Accounting/Billing Technician (Former Employee), Charleston, SCApril 28, 2015
Pros: City
Cons: no money or real use of expertise
underpaid and over worked...for the one job you had 10 duties that were in many instances not job related....
I have two degrees and was paid close to minium wages....
The staff was friendly but nosey....
No real place to eat lunch and if you did not have a car no real place you could escape to....No motivation to climb the ladder
rewarding in helping maintain and trobleshooting problems for the hospital
Trades Specialist IV (Current Employee), Charleston, SCApril 13, 2015
Pros: very friendly people
Cons: 12 hour shifts, which i did get use to
this job advanced my knowledge and work skills, anywhere from using the metasys system to control air temp and pressures of a room, to writing work orders six zones.