Medical University of South Carolina Employee Reviews in United States

Educational
Floor Technician (Former Employee) –  Charleston, SCJuly 18, 2016
I learnt how to be a team player. Having high customer services by serving the patients and staff members in the hospital. i learnt how to work in different floors where high risk patients were roomed. I worked in a high pressure and fast pace environment. I learnt to stay focused under pressure.
Heart and Vascular Technician (Current Employee) –  Charleston, SCJuly 18, 2016
This is a great atmosphere to work in especially if you want to continue a medical based education. The pay will be lower than other places but it's because your in the greatest place in the country to live, Charleston SC - everybody wants to live here so regardless of what industry/marketplace you are in the supply of available workers/applicants is very high. You will deal with the same bureaucratic BS here as you will any big state or federally run organization.
Cardiovascular ICU
CVICU RN (Former Employee) –  Charleston, SCJuly 14, 2016
The CVICU is a great environment for those RNs willing to learn and give their best efforts in providing quality patient care. Coworkers are willing to help, as it is part of the team culture at MUSC.

The best part of the job is having the ability to respond to emergencies safely while also having a different experience every shift.
Great place.
Unit Secretary (Former Employee) –  Charleston, SCJuly 7, 2016
Great typical day.
I learned my job.
Great management.
Great c0-workers.
The hardest part was walking.
The most enjoyable part was doing my job.
Dept. doesn't have a good integration/collaboration, poor in research funding..
Staff Scientist (Former Employee) –  Charleston, SCJune 29, 2016
Faculty are not happy there: insufficient institutional support, individual faculty don't have enough extramural funding (so they don't collaborate much, feel insecure).
Currently, under an interim-like chairman.
Clinic is doing well, but the academic dept that I belonged wasn't great; frequent employee turn over rate, etc.
Good working environment
Graduate Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Charleston, SCJune 20, 2016
I like the working environment, including location, co-worker, and benefits. Personally, it is superior to any other hospitals in the Southern countries.
Pros
Good working environment
Cons
Not applicable.
Great place to work; co workers are great and the atmosphere is awesome
Administrative Assistant II (Current Employee) –  Charleston, SCJune 10, 2016
Productive workplace; patient driven but not employee driven. Wonderful co-workers. I think that there could be some improvement on the supervisors listening more to the workers and doing more to improve on the relationships between supervisors and employees.
Did not enjoy
Referral management specialist (Former Employee) –  Charleston, SCJune 8, 2016
Management was not helpful. They do not properly train you to schedule, you will just be listening to calls at first then they will throw you on the phones. Supervisors are obnoxious and condescending. If you ask for help with something they may take 20+ minutes before they assist you and then they will most likely tell you that they have no idea.
Pros
consistent work schedule
Cons
short lunch breaks, training could be better, needs better management
Great hospital for medical needs but not so great employee treatment
Nurse (Former Employee) –  Charleston, SCJune 5, 2016
This is a great hospital for patients to receive medical treatment. Their teams of doctors, midlevels, nurses, CMAs, and other staff are wonderful. The issue with MUSC is their management. They do not show much respect for their staff, do not respond to concerns addressed within the worksite, allow bullying, and tend to listen to hear say rather than concrete facts.
Pros
Great medical care for the patients
Cons
Poor Management
Musc
Patient Care Technician (Former Employee) –  Charleston, SCJune 3, 2016
I loved working at MUSC and I greatly miss it, but management needs to show more concern for the staff. I really felt overworked many days.
Pediatric Echo Lab
Pediatric Echocardiographer (Former Employee) –  Charleston, SCApril 29, 2016
Be very careful. The Medical Director and Supervisor are bullies. If you are on your gae 100% of the time, it is an opportunity for the medical director and or the Supervisor to embarrass you in front of your teammates, ridicule and prompt your teammates to talk negatively about you.

Micromanaging is prevelent.
Lots of opportunity
Risk Management Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Charleston, SCApril 7, 2016
MUSC is a great place to work. I have held many different positions since I started here in 2009. My co-workers are excellent and we always help each other to get the job done. I am working to make this hospital a safer place for everyone.
Pros
great benefits
Cons
parking
Love this place
Night Time EKG Technician (Former Employee) –  Charleston, SCMarch 21, 2016
Even though you work long hours at times and have the typical work flow drama, this is a great place to work. The pay is fair and the benefits are the best. But you will work. This is not a place that you can just get by, you have to do your job or you will not have a job.
Research focused university
Post-doctoral scholar (Current Employee) –  Charleston, SCMarch 5, 2016
Extremely research focused. Excellent teaching university. Quality of staff interaction varies by department. Respect of younger trainees varies by department.
Registered Nurse II (Former Employee) –  Charleston, SCJanuary 23, 2016
I highly recommend the Medical University for new nurses to get their foundation. It is a great place to work and learn. Try them out.
Riding the bus was very enjoyable. Over the years we all get together every couple of months and have dinner.
sterile processing technician (Former Employee) –  Charleston, SCJanuary 19, 2016
Working at the Medical University of South Carolina was one of the most uplifiting experience I've had in sometime. Working in the Sterile Processing Department with a team young adults who was good at what they did.The sterile processing department received over 300 items and cases from all over the facility in one eight hour shift. Keeping up with the hight volum of over 300 items and cases entering the department was a task in itself. Using the computer information system we were able to track all cases and items to be sterilized. This was a every day work level and at the sametime employees were not geven any think yous. Instead employees were hassle about taking schedule leave or hassle about being sick and taking unplanned leave.

Bus riding to MUSC was the best part of starting my day and ending my day. I have met Doctors, Scientist Nurse managers and others who work at University.Talking with one of the nurses I told her that the OR would call my department and requeat an insterument that required a longer period of time to be sterilize but never said when they needed it, and would be upset when they didn't get it.

She informed me that the new nureses were to rotate through my department. This was the bast thing to happen to our department due to the work load. This was just one of two groups that came through our department. They learn quickly and came with good ideas, they were smart they were a blessing. I took pictures of each group. I talk with my manager and ask him if we could contact our local Medical University news paper and highlight our department
  more... with our new nurses. His answer was he did't know how to do that he took no further action.

I believe in having the right tool for the right job and being a manager is a tool but when you faild to use it properly you can have disastrous results such as having a hight rate of attrition. You must lead by example all the way down to the supervisor. We must learn to manage for the 21st century and employees who are looking to become supervisor should be requires to show that they have management experience as wall leadership. Remember we get what we pay for.
Pros
Working with good people
Cons
Better Pay
Fun Work Place
Innovation and Entrepreneurship Coordinator (CIE) (Former Employee) –  South CarolinaJanuary 13, 2016
The Medical University of South Carolina is a wonderful place to work. I learned how perfect my presentation and management skills by being exposed to many different environments.
Musc great company to work for but managment is poor and bad communications
admin (Current Employee) –  Charleston, SCJanuary 12, 2016
At first, I enjoyed working at Musc Physicians at Parkshore location. Job that I was hired for was part time but they pushed you with full time work load. You had to make the revenue quoto and key so many batches within a week. Management in my opinion was very poor and unprofessional at times. Communication was very poor. They would tell you one thing and the next day it was someone telling you something else. You make one mistake and you will be constantly throw under the bus literally by coworkers, etc. I wanted to find other career opportunities outside of Parkshore but no luck. Even tried within the company but they seem to hire friends and wouldn't give you an opportunity
benefits
Cons
no adancement opportunies, poor management and communication
Research Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Charleston, SCDecember 11, 2015
I learned a lot about cancer research but had to learn a lot on my own. My supervisor was not supportive in teaching me or letting any one help me in my work since she thought I had so much experience. I had experience but not in cancer. I loved working with the patients and the physicians.
Medical University of South Carolina
Patient Care Technician (Current Employee) –  Charleston, SCDecember 7, 2015
I work on the stroke unit and MUSC. I get to work and get report from the previous CNA. I then get the patients vitals at 8am, 12pm and 4pm. Since this is a step down ICU unit I have become very knowledgeable in many different neurological orders. We see patient's that have had strokes, aneurysms, traumatic brain injury, brain tumor and sometimes we see patients with spine problems like scoliosis. I have learned many skills like EKG, phlebotomy and straight catheterization. This unit has taught me how to properly care for an acute care patient. I have gained god communication skills and have become very passionate about the nursing field. The best part of my job is to see a very sick patient have progress and improve. One of my patient's that had a brainstem stroke came back into see me not to long ago and to see how far a log he had come was the best feeling that I have ever felt. The worst part is to know that there are some patients that we have done all we can for and there is nothing else that the medical team can do. Its hard to see a family hurt but I am proud and happy that I can be there for those families during those hard times in their lives.

Medical University of South Carolina Reviews by Location