MEDLAB Employee Reviews in United States

Fast pace
Phlebotomist (Current Employee) –  Louisville, KYJune 27, 2016
We goo to nursing home and draw blood. Most of us have 5 home. After we draw the food we have to get it back to the lab by 9 am
Management is good. They praise you when it is needed.
My co workers are great. They try there best to help each other
great
phle (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHMay 4, 2016
I love my job as a phlebotomist and working with patients and co workers everyday. Even with small children and babies I enjoy drawing blood.
Pros
lunch time and bathroom breaks
Cons
not getting off on time
na
Phlebotomist (Former Employee) –  Dayton, OHJanuary 1, 2016
long hours, good pay, nice staff, easy work environment due to kindness of staff. Drove a lot but made the day fly by much faster. Supplies are always plenty, hours are known from day 1.
If the staff fails leadership has failed
Phlebotomy Supervisor/Facility Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Ocala, FLSeptember 15, 2015
The best company to work for. Great co-workers and patients. The pay is above average. The work environment was exciting and change with the seasons.
Medlab
Phlebotomist (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OhioJune 25, 2015
I loved my job. The hours were perfect, free independent work. I loved my facilities I did everyday, the only reason I left was because MedLab went bankrupt and the new company changed to many things, including pay and insurance.
Pros
hours, independce
Cons
wear and tear on your own car, lots of dangerous weather related driving.
It could be a keeper, but....
Phlebotomy Team Lead (Current Employee) –  Greenwood, IndianaMay 15, 2015
Typical day started at midnight and hopefully ended by 3pm. No joke, worked several days like this. No one ever said thank you for your hard work.

I learned absolutely nothing from this employer.

Management at the corporate level is out of touch with the actual work force employed. Horrible lack of communication.

Co workers are great...especially when they would show up.

The sheer volume of hours worked and meeting the unbelievable demands of upper management, is the hardest part of working for American Health Associates.

The best part of this job, the team I led. Awesome group of very hard working and dedicated phlebotomist!
Pros
plenty of overtime
Cons
toxic work environment
Fasted pasted!
Phlebotomist (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INMay 10, 2015
Lots of moving around and driving.Different management, very funny co-workers almost like family. Its a lot of interacting with many people some very nice some not so nice. But all in all you will learn a lot.
Pros
nice people
Cons
high health care
I really enjoyed working for this company, getting to do what I loved was also a bonus.
Traveling Phlebotomist (Former Employee) –  Dayton, OHApril 8, 2015
Great coworkers and managers that are there to help if needed. Drove to nursing homes to collect specimens, then to the lab or hospital to drop them off. Loved getting to stick people, knowing that i'm a part of being able to help them and make sure their medications were at the right dosages.
Discouraged low paid phlebotomists and depressing environment
Phlebotomist (Former Employee) –  Louisville, KYApril 1, 2015
First of all, this is a very bad place to work at. Pay is ridiculously low for the responsibilities, and the job is disorganized and very stressful. I only survived there for about six months, which was heroic because most of the employees don’t last that long. It is just a horrific place. The company got out of bankruptcy and every day it feels like they are going to fall off the boat again. They are saving every possible cent, most of it from employees. Everything is about clocking out on time and preventing overtime. The company has a new owner, who is very shady company and overstates its role as a lab in different states. They don’t want to pay per hour anymore, but per route served, so they can force phlebotomists to work more for the same pay, and not to pay them overtime. It did not feel like a normal job, but more like a detention center. There are two supervisors in Louisville, and it is not clear who is responsible for what. If you go to talk to one of the supervisors, you might be sent to talk to the other one until you completely give up, so in the future you feel that there is no point to try to talk to anyone at all and problems pile up. Management is completely disconnected from employees, because they feel that employees are just dumb idiots who are hired to be exploited and they are easily replaceable. There is only one way of communication, from supervisors to employees. They don’t care to be proactive in relationship with phlebotomists, because they feel like they are the smartest people in the company and they should only give orders. Most of the communication  more... is very stupid over text messages that annoy everyone. Messages are always the same and they start with: “We appreciate you and the work you are doing” and they end with “If you don’t do this.... and this, according to company rules, your employment will be terminated.” Yeah, I appreciate you too.
The rule that the client is always right is very true in this company, as it is true that the phlebotomist is always wrong. As a phlebotomist, I had to work directly with nurses in nursing homes. Many of the nurses were quite mean and ignorant and used to blame us for stuff that we were not responsible for. Then the clueless supervisors called to harass us about the problem. It was very abusive and we were humiliated although we had no idea what was going on. It happened on a regular basis. Manager of operations reports directly to VP of sales, which means that he only cares about the sales and nursing homes satisfaction, but not about employees. If I have to advise someone about employment with this company, it will be a big NO! Please, stay away from it, unless you want to feel abused, ignored and humiliated every work night, and get paid only a fraction of what you work for.
Pros
What pros?
Cons
Horrible, horrible, horrible!
Awful...especially when AHA bought company.
Phlebotomist (Former Employee) –  Greenwood, INMarch 30, 2015
Management has NO leadership skills - not supportive at all. Very negative environment. Benefits are awful. Patients abused regularly. Possible Medicare fraud implications, DOT violations, and federal tax issues. This company is a mess! Was at least tolerable when still Medlab, became absolutely ridiculous when American Health Associates purchased company...went from bad to worse. Whistleblowers were retaliated against viciously. Steer clear of this employer - American Health Associates, as well - if you wish to excel in phlebotomy or adjoining careers. There are better places that will invest in their people, this isn't one of them.
Pros
Cons
See review...
Fun atmosphere in the lab, after a hard days work
Phlebotomist (Former Employee) –  Greenwood, INFebruary 24, 2015
As an employee of Medlab, I had the pleasure of going to work to meet interesting people on a daily basis. I enjoyed my job my co-workers and the management team. I also enjoyed the fact that as long as you came to work and did your job you were rewarded with an appreciated comment such as great job today team.
It was a very comfortable atmosphere and I really wish circumstances were different and I could have stayed. May God Bless all of the American Health Associates especially the Greenwood Indiana Team
I loved takeing care of people
traveling phlebotomist (Former Employee) –  Centerville, OHFebruary 15, 2015
I would clock in from my phone from home, go to the lab get supplies, then drive 300mils a day going to various healthcare facilities and mrdd homes as well as jails obtaining blood specimens per dr orders. I had the same route everyday therefor I became close to the people i interracted with at the facilities staff and patients.
Pros
i was my owwn boss. i knew what i had to do and did it the best i could.
Cons
supervisor wasnt much help
worked alone
Phlebotomist/Lab Tech (Former Employee) –  Uniontown, OHJanuary 12, 2015
i feel that i was not employed long enough there to really give a good review.was at this job for 10 months and was mostly independent worker didnt like it for the most part,it just wasnt for me.
Cons
use your own car, very very early in the morning and not much communication with other workers
Company in constant transition
MLT(ASCP) Generalist (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOJanuary 11, 2015
Company has been in constant transition due to Medlab filing Bankruptcy to be sold. Company bought last December and it has taken a year for all sites to be brought under new ownership of American Heath Associates. No security, safety, or affordable benefits at this company any longer.
Pros
use to be a very laid back atmosphere
Cons
unprofessional tactics now prevail with no protection for employees
How to charge the taxpayer twice!
Phlebotomist (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHDecember 31, 2014
It is a very creative company. The company doesn’t want to have its own vehicles, so it reimburses employees for the use of their vehicles. Reimbursement is far below the normal wear and tear of employee’s cars ($0.25-$0.29), but then employees get the difference as a tax credit next year. Genius. Once the company is already paid by Medicare from the taxpayer’s money, it steals most of the mileage reimbursement as a profit instead of reimbursing employees. Thus the taxpayer has to reimburse employees again for the mileage as a tax credit. So, without knowing, the taxpayer pays twice for the same thing. Whoever came up with this idea, should be a president. Profits, baby, profits! Who is dumber, FBI or IRS?
Cons
using employees' cars without paying enough, and when employees can't pay for repairs and quit, the company hires new suckers to steal from. someone needs to explain to employees what strike is.
Calm at times but too much micro-managing
Team Lead Phlebotomist (Former Employee) –  Louisville, KYNovember 21, 2014
A typical day at work involoved getting up before midnight and driving 125 miles to a nursing home in the rural towns of Eastern Kentucky. Drawing blood on geriatric patients and relying on the staff to assist with combative patients was about it. Management was not so hot. Unfair to certain people and played favoritism a lot. Coworkers were great. Some were lazy and some weren't. The hardest part was the demading hours and time restraints between facilities. The most enjoyable part was the traveling.
A job that enjoy drawing blood in the wee time in the morning and being call all kind of names. Not appreciating the precious blood.
Phlebotomist Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Cleveland, OHNovember 17, 2014
A typical day at work will start off completing mileage sheets from the day before. Scanning over for corrections, matching punches also putting in miss punches. Then faxing them into the Esker system. Sorting house calls to be distribute to phlebotomist. Checking in on team for update, to make sure phlebotomist is moving and not needing any help. Any write-ups/disciplinary actions that my be needed. Evaluations if needed. By that time the phlebotomist are rolling in from the am draws. I help accession or label the specimens. I forgot to mention that I may have to go out in the field to draw blood or do a QA on a phlebotomist. When needed I have to hire or fire. When hiring I must do orientation with the new phlebotomist. I'm sure I missed something I'm consistently doing something. I would say the hardest part of my job is when I have to discipline a phlebotomist. I most enjoyable part of my job is being around people that has the same goals that I have.
Productive at times
Phlebotomist (Current Employee) –  Parma, OHOctober 30, 2014
I've better myself as a phlebotomist working here and meeting patients from all works of life. I was use to doing out patient lab verses going to facilities to draw. At first I was concerned but this has taught me that there is so much more to learn and how to perfect difficult draws. My level has went from phlebotomist ll to phlebotomist practitioner. Some the employees that use to work there were good and family like, but the newbies don't have the drive to help one another or be a team. I do love somewhat the flexible hours but I'm glad to have experience what I have to improve my skills
Pros
traveling
Cons
underpaid
Medlab taught me everything I know
Traveling Phlebotomist II (Current Employee) –  Euclid, OHSeptember 9, 2014
I have the best team to work with. The job is not easy only the strong survive. I can say working for this company for three years gives me the confidence of drawing or working any where
Pros
the hours
Cons
the hours
Worst Company
Team member (Former Employee) –  Detroit, miJune 24, 2014
I have worked for this company and I must say the management is very not organized. I also felt insecure working. On top of that, salary was below average. Also they have gone through bankruptcy many times. They were named under different names.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at MEDLAB. Our community is ready to answer.

2.5