Medline Industries Employee Reviews

Political Pressure Cooker
Pricing Manager (Former Employee) –  Mundelein, ILOctober 8, 2012
A typical day of work would include reactive fire fighting because of inefficient processes and poor planning. You're typically expected to arrive early, skip/work through lunch, and work late. Especially when in a role that deals directly with the sales force, you should expect to receive irate phone calls from sales reps because they "run" the company.

There is no system of accountability for how sales personnel treat operations and support employees, but the operations and support employees are expected to treat sales personnel with the utmost respect regardless of how they have been treated. In this aspect, the culture is quite toxic and stressful.

Mid level and upper management is purely a game of cutthroat politics. The more people you can manipulate, the more control and power you will have. Most of upper management has no clue of the discontent at lower levels of the company, resulting in high rates of turnover. It's commonly known that management often hasn't the slightest idea what their employees are actually supposed to do. Lower management is called "the working managers'. This is where the disconnect happens. The "working manager" role often is a salaried position in which you are required to work no less than 50 hrs per week. Other than the functions of their department, they have a full time work load and have no time to deal with their employees. In the common event that this "manager" was hired from outside of the department, they have no knowledge of the department's functions and almost never learn. I've seen this lead to expanding departments of people
  more... who either a) do little work to almost nothing b) are overburdened with an excessive workload.

Typically, co-workers at the low levels within the company have a supportive "we're all in it together" mentality. This is often an "us against them" mentality because of an abusive sales force and cutthroat management personnel. If you're in management, your coworkers should be viewed as adversaries and never trusted.

The hardest part of the job is coping with political pressures. There is no training process implemented and you have to figure things out on your own. All training, is hands on. Usually, jobs are not difficult but a large amount of tedious tasks is assigned.

The most enjoyable part of the job, by far, is the cafeteria. Good food is offered for breakfast and lunch for very reasonable prices. There are always a lot of options, healthy and vegetarian alike. You can develop some meaningful friendships because there are a lot of good people in the trenches.
Pros
cheap lunches, free employee gym
Cons
no work/life balance, highly political, management does not respect workers, no training process
Not the best place to work. The executives couln't care less about the employees making decission that affects the personal life of the employees.
SR QA Technician (Former Employee) –  Waukegan, ILNovember 15, 2011
The divison that I am working is moving from the Medline SPT Building located at 1170 Northpoint Blvd in Waukegan, IL to the Corporate Building Complex Located at One Medline Place, Mundelein, IL. The distance between the two locations is 13.42 miles approximately , which is about a 30 minutes drive depending on traffic and weather conditions.

This re-location of my workplace is causing me a lot of stress, anxiety and depression. I have transportation challenges that make this move very hard on me.

This decision was driven by business needs without considering the impact on the people that makes this business successful (its employees). Besides my transportation challenges this move will arbitrary take away at least one hour of my personal time per business day due to the extra 13.42 miles of commute each way; that would be about 29 days per year ! Additionally that will include an automatic cut on my paycheck due to the increase in transportation costs (if I figure that out) and an increase on daycare and afterschool care for my two children.

In addition to the above, this move also affects the distance of my children location. Currently I am 15 minutes away from my daughter’s school and less than 10 minutes away from my son’s daycare. This means that in case of an emergency, like it has happened before, I can be with my children when they need me in a short period of time. This is very important to me because I don’t have any family here in IL to help manage this type of situation.

Medline has been my workplace for the past 7 yr and 7 months. I truly enjoy my job and its
  more... challenges, but the executives do not care about how their business decision affects the employees personal life. They made this decision that is going to cost me more money. You go to work to earn money not to pay more than what you already have. I have requested a re-assignment to stay in the facilities that work at and no action has been taken.  less
Pros
vacation, sick & holiday time
Cons
not so good expensive medical insurance, poor pay
wont stand up for employees at all, 100% not looking out for drivers,
Driver (Former Employee) –  Katy, TXAugust 6, 2015
Transportation supervisor is a joke. He is only out to make his bonus, absolutely wont stand up for his own employees, he is on a power trip, and wants to show his drivers he is in charge. Complains about hours worked, wants everyone off the clock asap, asks why you are driving 63mph instead of 65mph, Company policy is "no using electronics of any sort while driving". no phone, no bluetooth, no CB radio, if someone calls in and even says you were on the phone, your suspended immediately, you have to give your phone records or loose your job. Warehouse is a joke as well, inexperienced warehouse workers dont wrap pallets correctly, they fall over causing more time for drivers, which in turn gets you asked about your hours. When you explain that the pallets fell over or were messed up, you hear well work with us on that they are new!
BIG BROTHER WATCHES EVERTHING YOU DO, they know EVERY SINGLE MOVE YOUR TRUCK MAKES,
I learned that they will take away your bonuses quicker than a blink of an eye, which is their claim to fame about pay being so well. One of the two lead drivers is a great person to work with, he will help you with anything, the newer lead driver, will be your friend to your face, but will stab you in the back quicker than most backstabbers.
Huge company, with tons of money, not afraid to share if you earn it, but, they cant keep drivers because of the way that they treat employees,
Hardest part of the job isnt the actual work, its wondering if you have a job when you get back to the yard everyday.
They will change your logs in the computer and if
  more... you dont catch it you wont get paid for it.
These guys are all from other states, NY, GA, AL, they dont understand that word travels fast in the houston trucking community, they think drivers shouldnt talk to each other, so if you want a job where you feel like the management is only out to line their own pockets, and really dont care about you as a person, well then sign yourself right up.
Pros
if you can keep from getting your bonuses taken away, they are nice.
Cons
no job security, they will fire you for anything, dont trust what you say
Productive and fast paced workplace
Warehouse Operator (Current Employee) –  Romulus, MINovember 11, 2012
Medline is a decent company to work for. A typical day you will get on a machine such as an order picker or forklift whatever you need for your job. I worked in shipping so I often used either an order picker or walkie. You'll pull orders all day building pallets and dropping them off to be wrapped to eventually be loaded on trucks. The work can be the same pretty much every day so if you're looking for a different work day each day this place may not be for you. Management was all right, easy to talk to but sometimes seem that things went into one ear and out the other and they just told you what they thought you wanted to hear. Hardest part of the job was you're timed on everything you do so you're constantly going all day long as fast as you can. Since you're being timed there's no time for relaxing for a minute here or there. It can wear on you. I know you may be thinking well you are there to work, but if you don't hit your numbers which means going at a good fast pace you can be eventually terminated. I do consider myself to have a very good work ethic as well. If you have to use the bathroom and it's not break or lunchtime you're still being timed on your work. The positive about constantly working throughout the day is you're not clock watching which can help make days go by quicker. They do have bonus opportunities and one of them is how fast you get the work done. So at least there is some incentive to work like you will there. They also have an accuracy, attendance and group bonus too. The pay is not that great but if you do well on the bonus' your pay checks end  more... up being decent. You get paid every other week so your bonus' are on every other paycheck except for the attendance bonus which is quarterly.  less
Pros
bonus opportunities
Cons
constantly on the go, health care not the greatest.
Your experience depends heavily on your manager
Quality Engineer (Current Employee) –  Mundelein, ILMay 23, 2013
I have read a lot of negative reviews but must say I truly enjoy my job. I am lucky and am in a good division who cares deeply about their employees and is at the forefront in the company for improving work-life balance, increasing pay for those who deserve it, and developing great employees.

I do understand the negative reviews though. Many of my friends have had terrible managers who will throw them under the table in their zeal to advance, or who are just horrible managers in general. Also, pay starts low because of the bonus program. You can get heavily bonused but they consider your base and bonus as your whole salary; when comparing your salary to the industry standard, it will be lower, but your bonus will put you on the high end of the range. Depending on your position your bonus could be in your control or not at all, so be careful. The higher you get in the company, though, the more incentives you get, so if you can stick it out and move up they will really make it worth your while.

Overall it's a good company where you can go far in the right situations. I learned more in my first year here than in any of my other jobs combined. As a whole they are making strides to be more balanced, but it will take time to change the culture of work first, life later.
Pros
free shuttle from city, free shuttle from metra station, free gym, good cafeteria with discount on food, good team feeling in most divisions (especially quality)
Cons
bonus is considered part of your salary but is not gauranteed, work-life balance is not so balanced (getting better every year though), heavy work loads, experience is very dependent on managers
Good place to work, though job security is quite an issue the job offers fair compensation and benefits.
Warehouse Operator (Former Employee) –  Prattville, ALMarch 24, 2012
A typical day at work consist of picking orders through the warehouse and placing them on different docks in order to be placed, wrapped and then shipped out to medical facilities. At Medline, I learned how to operate the forklift, order picker, floor-forklift (walkie) i also learned a bit about warehouse operations. My coworkers were very helpful and hardworking individuals who stayed over hours to get the job done! The management team was not as upfront about company policies before I got hired and it wasn't until after I received the job i became aware of them. Nevertheless, management did provide adequate help in particular circumstances. The hardest part of the job was the constant intermingling of my role in the warehouse. One moment i picked orders for shipment the next moment i was on the dock making sure shipments were staged and going to the correct hospital/nursing home. The most enjoyable part of my job was working with incredibly hard working employees that would help me if i needed.
Pros
fair compensation, benefits, friendly staff
Cons
job security, constantly unannounced shift differentiation
Medline in Canton, OH is a better place to work for Medline.
Warehouse Operator (Former Employee) –  Canton, OHOctober 4, 2015
Working for Medline Canton, OH for two years has a better workforce and knows how to balance work/life, even though they have schedules like the hospitals do. Medline does push for the weekend off for their employees and they don't want push mandatory overtime. They work their employees until the job is done for a five day work period, they value their employees, their are no barriers but improvement. Overtime may exceed for two hours a day, but you do have your two day weekend.

As for transfer to a location (e.g. moving to California) I did not get my position back and this was the same position. I was out of a job for nine months. Human Resource did not even say as to why I did not get my position back. I would have to say, California job process was just going through their process of policy. Maybe it's because they couldn't give the position because I was making more than their employees in California. I earned it with Medline, I worked for them for two years and was hoping to eventually grow with the company...loyalty! Not in California!
Pros
Medline, Ohio we got free lunches that was provided by the company
Cons
Wish they had building for smokers.
Accomplishments
Quality Assurance Tester (Former Employee) –  Mundelein, ILAugust 10, 2015
• Participated in requirements and design reviews to thoroughly understand business needs to ensure comprehensive testing scenarios were performed
• Reviewed functional/design specifications, and other project documents to extract test requirements for the account information functionality
• Analyzed and reviewed business requirements, technical designs and functional specs into test strategy and test plans
• Created functional and user Interface test cases based on the project requirements
• Worked closely with development teams to troubleshoot, investigate, identify and fix application defects
• Reported the defects in Quality Center to development team on periodic basis and performed regression testing to ensure the functionality did not introduce new defects
• Performed functional, user interface, end to end and regression testing and generated test metrics
• Validated reporting features that allowed users to view equipment repair histories by instrument or by category, providing valuable information for budgeting and planning of surgical instrument needs
Good luck with any type of life away from here
Receiving warehouse (Former Employee) –  Canton OhioAugust 6, 2012
I was let go from this company because I told them I didn't have a sitter for my newborn for 1 week, I repeat 1 week, of starting 2 hours before our normal start time. They called it insubordination. They care zero about you or anything beyond the walls of the place. Most companies have the good sense to hide this fact but Medline doesn't even bother to put up a front. The pay is bad for this type of work in this area. You'll do better with a temp service. They tease you with a bonus system that no one can ever achieve. They'll show you numbers of guys that "max out every month" but none of those people work in canton.....because they aren't real. They talk about advancement but there isn't any unless you want to uproot yourself and move 1000 miles away to rural Alabama or Arkansas and just when you think it couldn't be worse middle management is encouraged to throw the hourly under the bus to save their own sorry hides. Do yourself a favor and stay away at all costs!
Pros
i don't work there anymore
Cons
i used to work there
Gratifying in knowing that you are helping other with health and medical life-saving products
Warehouse Shipping Lead (Current Employee) –  Allentown, PaJuly 18, 2014
During 2nd shift operations you would hit the ground running faced with the challenge of carrier pick-up dead-lines. Time would pass quickly and there certainly wasn't any room for boredom. The management always had an open-door policy and made room for ideas and suggestions for improvement in safety, quality and productivity. Some of the more challenging aspects included meeting targeted productivity standards that didn't seem to include all the variables that were faced during the picking process. The satisfaction of getting a compliment from a sales rep or customer for going above and beyond their service expectations made all your hard work pay-off.
Pros
free lunches for meeting safety goals, employee appreciation week, benefits, vacation time from the get go
Cons
productivity standards for certain functions seem unrealistic, workload overload prior to, during, and after holiday weeks
Great Company, Poor Management, Zero Job Security
Account Manager/Outside Sales (Current Employee) –  MidwestJanuary 10, 2016
Medline is an amazing company, forward thinking and well paying if you're hard working. Management is oblivious to what is going on in the field and with the end users. There are more levels of management than there needs to be. "Too many chefs in the kitchen" so-to-speak.... Quotas are increased by a minimum of 15% every year, regardless of the territory or economy and if you don't make it, you might not have a job the following year. There is a lot of pressure and little support. Medline used to be a family company but since they've grown so much they have definitely a more corporate, cut-throat culture. The best part of the job is the people you grow to know and like. You have the same customers for years and get to develop great relationships with them. What I've learned from working at Medline, is that you are just a number and sometimes your best will never be good enough.
Pros
No cold calling, good pay, benefits
Cons
Poor management, long hours, no job security
For high school kids, not a long term career
Warehouse Operator (Former Employee) –  Allentown, PAApril 16, 2015
Don't BOTHER! Upper Management (DO's on up) is clueless on what it takes to get the job done in a warehouse at Medline. They rely on what the genius engineers develop and dictate as the best procedures to get the job done. In many cases making certain jobs take longer and less efficient. Good Job!
This company is in the process of shutting down long time branches and opening up a new branch near by.By doing this they can ditch long time reliable higher paid workers so they can start over at the new branch with newbies for $11.50 per hour, sweet!
Medline's way of putting themselves in line with the Amazon's and Walmart's of the world. Work harder for less pay! This is a job for kids right out of high school.
This was once a great company to work for, but the influx of engineers have ruined the Medline experience.
The only silver lining here is the benefits and vacation time.
Pros
Benefits and time off
Cons
long hours low pay, engineered work procedures poor management
Job was ok.
Material Handler (Former Employee) –  Lithia Springs, GAJuly 6, 2012
My typical day at Medline Industries would start at 1500 with a small team meeting to discuss the agenda for the shift. I would then locate a lift truck and move various materials to various points of the warehouse depending on usage requirements. I learned from my experience at Medline Industries that it is not very wise to go into a start up company (Medline Production was less than three months along when I was hired on) expecting everything to have a sense of order. Management was and is very fresh and lacking what my previous job had. That was experience. My co-workers were all hard workers and worked together. The most difficult part of the job was trying to get things done in a simple format and not having procedures to follow. The best part of my job was seeing a completed product at the end of the assembly line.
Pros
good location, nice people and being a part of a product made in america
Cons
lack of direction within the production and warehousing areas.
I QUIT THE "BILLION DOLLAR COMPANY"LOL
Machine Operator that never got trained (Former Employee) –  Kansas City MoOctober 20, 2012
I worked at Medline in Kansas city mo and it was the worst job ever the management don't care if u have babies at home or not they always have FEDX leaving late its no organization in that place the management is leading at its worst they don't take time out to train u they just through you in there show you the job and go from there they don't have people that works with you for a day or two they expect you to stop what your doing and find someone to help you I was the only black female at that job and they would talk so nasty around me I just quit. I SAY NO TO MEDLINE INDUSTRY, I kept my shirts cause they are thick and is made with good material that keeps you warm or soaks up the sweat.
Pros
insurance, 401k, dental etc.....
Cons
short breaks, no time and a half, they work the mess out of you, talk bad to you, and its hot n the summer and cold in the winter, a billion dollar company.
Good and dependable company to work for, good bonuses.
Account Manager/ Sales Operations (Former Employee) –  Waukegan, ILFebruary 18, 2015
Hectic and overwhelmed is the norm, you have to be a hard worker to make it whith these company (no joke) they do provide good training and classes to keep you up to date. Beware HR is a joke.
Did enjoy making friends with co-workers but since you are not even allowed to have a conversation during the work day, that was useless. The office was dark, dirty, dingy and put toguether from scraps, every cubicule was a different color and size and the cafetia served the worst food ever, and broken chairs were put to good use by employees that spent way more then 8 hours a day on them.
After years of making million of dollars the office was finally remodeled in early 2014, and every cubicule matched and everyone got a new chair!!!
Pros
benefits, paid vacation and 401k
Cons
managers showed favoritism
A learning expereince taken to the top
Warehouse Associate (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TennesseeJune 21, 2013
A typical day at work for me was a learning experience everyday.
I learned a lot of skills from the jobs that I worked including better customer service skills that can prepare me to do the best at my next position. The different co-workers that I have worked with were terrific, at Medline we all became a family working together to help achieve the best service for the company and most important the customers. Also, I would say the hardest part of one of my jobs was working 14 hours a day and the most enjoyable part of my job was learning about different tools, machines, and other things that could be used to develop my personal skill level.
Pros
there were lots of things that i was taught that could be used to my advantage in the future.
Cons
not really easy to get a permanent position at the company.
What I learned and experienced in the past nine years was gold
Account Manager, Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Mundelein, IllJune 24, 2012
Ive worked for a company based in Mundelein Ill, for the past the 9 years. I have adquired many experience in the medical sales industry in all areas. I have been trained to take a product to customer, detailed it , get it to evaluation, get quote and close the sell.

My typical day of work could have started at 4am like at 9am, it all depends on presentations and duties. My hardest part of the was to be traveling almost 100% and plus....of the time. The most enjoyable-part was the job itself...I loved my job I believe Im an excellent candidate since my proficient, knowledge and experience is vast, I am a excellent candidate for this kind of job.
Pros
free trips with quota achivements, traveling outside pr for meetings, meeting new people
Cons
no vacation, bad management
micky mouse circus, no leadership
Machine Operator II (Former Employee) –  Lithia Springs, GAJuly 24, 2012
understand concept of startup company, but mangements cockinesses prevents growth, and encourages employees to doubt themselves and prevents personnel to speak up. They will work you 6 days a week and if holidays approach you will work 7 days so they dont need to pay ot. Have issues with hiring female operators, only 3 maybe 4 women operators. Only positive is for the area pay is good.
No training, S.o.p's, and everyone gives a diffent answer to a question. Management always assumes the negative and is quick to displine but not to praise. Whats up with the lousy dresscode. I mean really everyone wears the same shirt day in and day out. Even maintenance and engineering. Go figure Glad to be gone!
Pros
pay, vacation time 1 week at hiring
Cons
training, management leadership, assumption, promotions

Comment – August 2, 2012

Once hired on -ended up working 13 days in a row. Sometimes worked 21 days without a break. Lots of pressure. Lack of leadership in warehouse. No plan of action. No written procedures to follow. Long hours with very little rewards. No training plans. Always in fear of losing your job due to unattainable management goals. Poor working conditions and equipment. Circus at times. Negative attitude across the board with co-workers. Most employees are killing time at Medline waiting for other opportunities to become available. Great place to leave.

not the best paying job I've ever had
janitor (Former Employee) –  Mansfield, MAFebruary 2, 2016
Did Janitorial for medline mansfield. Plenty of parties with food, pizza etc. Pay was low. When you normally make 20 an hour and medline pays 11 its quite pitiful.
Upper managers there are great. Warehouse floor managers have a personal vendetta for some reason.
I had no issues there however it was not so for some.
If a floor manager dislikes you then they will ride u.

Most employees are great. Some are very unhappy and you will encounter them in narrow aisles while both of you are riding a machine. Not a good combination. Benefits are great. Company is good but they are a mill for humans to do their slave labor. There isn't much of a ladder to move up. It's more like a step ladder and there isn't a ton of money to be made.
Pros
occasional pizza and lunch. very good food
Cons
demeanor is low. people are not happy there.
Great work place to work with great benefits
Shipping/Receiving Clerk (Current Employee) –  Durham, NCMarch 14, 2015
Start at 6 am with having a morning meeting. I have to do a checklist on my cherry picker to proceed to work. Locate items to be putaway and other tasks such as taking items that don't surrpose to be in slot,cleaning making sure things are not in the floor like object such like trash,pallet or any other objects. Making sure other in the work enviorment are safe. I learned how to be more effective as a order pick and how to be a better co-worker. It is good to have good management it made me a better employee. The hardest part of my job was that I wanted to put more effort in to my job but could not because I am only one person. I enjoyed my job my work place and the co-workers that work with me.
Pros
gives bonuses like production and employee of the month.