MedStar Georgetown University Hospital

MedStar Georgetown University Hospital Employee Reviews in United States

Medstar
Claims Staff Support (Current Employee) –  Arlington, VAMarch 28, 2016
working with the people around me is enjoyable but the management needs improvement, more structure, and organization. Benefits are awesome. Work schedule is great.
great place to work
PSS (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCApril 4, 2016
busy busy very busy, able to move through out Medstar, a lot of leadership training, under staffed, cost of living every year
Pros
annual raise
Cons
diversity in Senior Leadership
Magnet hospital and a fun place to work
Linux System Administrator (Current Employee) –  Washington DCAugust 20, 2015
My typical day at work starts with me checking my email and the ticketing system, then I program myself to schedule myself to do the relevant jobs.
I have gained a host of IT related job experience, which will be relevant in my career advancement.
The management is very effective at listening to employee problems.
The hardest part of the job is on a day when there is so my ticketing jobs or deadlines to be met.
The most enjoyable part of the job is when you put a smile into peoples face by meeting their needs.
Pros
Good benefits, and wonderful co-workers
Cons
Can't think of any now.
Exciting and Challenging
Patient Financial Associate (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCMay 22, 2016
Medstar Georgetown University Hospital is my extended family. I spend many hours in the emergency department with administrative personnel, nurses, and physicians, and we all treat each other like mothers and father, sisters and brothers. A typical work day for me is like none other. The hardest part of my day (as a staff with no medical training) is to provide excellent service that require medical care, which i cannot provide. To overcome such barriers, my co-workers ("family"/ teammates) are always willing and ready to assists. Thus, brings me to the most enjoyable part of my job. We are all here to help and heal everyone in very way that we can. Whether it is from registration, to triage, to screening/ tests, to discharge, we not only help our patients but their families as well.
Uptempo, busy, fast paced workplace
Magnet Nurse (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCMay 5, 2016
I have enjoyed the opportunity to work at Medstar Georgetown University Hospital. I have learned so much about myself as well as the profession of nursing. A typical day on my specialty surgical unit consists of a very fast paced, uptempo floor. The patients are going to surgery and coming from surgery, and often times they are in a great deal of a pain. In order to make it on my unit you must be flexible, good at multitasking, and tough. It can be stressful working in this type of environment, but I feel well that this unit has prepared me for just about any other workplace. This hospital does a good job of making the nurses feel empowered.
Excellent experience, worked with renown breast surgeons and providers.
Certified Office Medical Assistant ll (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCMay 12, 2016
My typical day at work is caring for special individuals battling breast cancer or just general breast health. I worked side by side assisting the United States most talented renowned breast surgeons. The hardest part of the job I would have to say is learning the difficulty of some patient's history and battle with breast cancer. At the same time being extremely compassionate and also strong enough to help those women/men going through their diagnosis and treatment. My department went through a lot of transitioning with employees but overall I didn't let that affect my diligence in providing support and care to patients and providers. The most enjoyable part of my job was learning. There was never a day I didn't learn from my surgeons and providers but most of my patients. I am very grateful for my experience at Georgetown.
Pros
Excellent care provided to our patients and the hearts of the surgeons and providers.
Cons
Staff turnover
Was a very diverse work environment
Interventional Radiologic Technologist (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCApril 20, 2016
For the many years that I worked there, I loved the family environment that the staff(Nurses and technologists) exhibited towards each other. They cared about and helped each other whenever possible.

The department performs every possible procedure that any Interventional Radiology Department could provide.

The days are long and seam unending. Sometimes the work flow moves so fast that you are barely able to complete your behind the scenes work between patients and when you don't finish or make mistakes with hurrying up, you are penalized or punished.

During the past three years, over half of the staff in the Interventional Radiology department has left, new hires and most of them don't stay long either due to bad management.

I do not recommend working for this department until the current management is replaced with a management group that considers employee safety and work environment.
Pros
Awesome range of experience and skills sets obtainable
Cons
Extremely long hours, management runs the department as a dictatorship, Mngmt doesn't considering the negative repercussions to the staff
Productive and learning environment
Clinical Technician (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCJune 12, 2016
I have learned a lot being employed at MGUH. The staff is knowledgeable and they encourage questions to aid in your success. It is a team player environment. The hardest part of my job are sad and undesirable patient outcomes. The most enjoyablke part is being able to be a part of something amazing (new life) and working with an outstanding team.
Pros
flexible schedules
Cons
Paid parking
fast paced inviorment
Unit Secretary (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCMay 11, 2016
Responsible for transcription of physician's orders,
Answered incoming calls and answered patient calls by utilizing good telephone etiquette,
Utilized interpersonal and organizational skills to provide an efficient working environment
Processed charges
Handled inquiries diplomatically and maintaining confidentiality by practicing HIPAA
Most enjoyable part of the job was discharging patients
Productive and hardworking company
Exercise Physiologist (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCJune 14, 2016
Busy busy busy!! Ive learned a tremendous amount on the job here at MGUH. The management could be a bit better, however, they do work with my schedule and are flexible with family. My co-workers are like family. The hardest part of the job is patient work flow and time management. The most enjoyable part is patient care for sure!
Productive and fun place to work. Great eclectic people.
Clinical Technician (Former Employee) –  Washington D.C.October 18, 2015
Fun work place with supportive management. Not all about the numbers but how you personally grow and develop. Decent amount of red tape and politics, but this is expected of a teaching hospital.
Elegantly old meets new
Biomedical Equipment Specialist II (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCMay 17, 2016
Overall great healthcare system to work for. They try their best to accommodate their employees. The healthcare is great as well. A lot of older equipment though. Makes it difficult for the Biomed to sufficiently support the facility. Leadership is hesitant to purchasing new equipment for some reason.
Nice place to work if you can deal with the politics
Patrol Officer (Former Employee) –  3800 Reseroir Rd Washington DcAugust 12, 2016
3.5 out of 5 Great top level management but in my opinion to much middle management and to much politics tends to get in the way of Non physician employees.
Pros
Great benifits
Cons
Politics
Fair
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCJuly 28, 2016
There was a bit of inconsistency and disorganization with this organization that makes it really tough to work here. I am looking for a new employer that will help me to grow as a business woman.
Awesome Work Enviroment!
Patient Verification Specialist (Current Employee) –  Arlington, VAFebruary 19, 2016
Working for this company is nothing short of amazing. working here has gave me plenty of knowledge and plenty of opportunities for growth. This company is all for proper knowledge of your job description and the training is phenomenal.
Medstar guh
Cancer Registrar (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCJuly 12, 2016
A great place to work, and we treat each other like family! All of the GUH employees take pride in there work and also caring for our patients.
Pros
great benefit package.
Cons
no cafeteria
Great learning experience during residency year
PGY1 Pharmacy Practice Resident (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCNovember 10, 2015
This is a one-year residency position in which I rotated through different specialties in the hospital, including oncology, critical care, ambulatory care, internal medicine, transplant, anti-infective management, research, project management, and more. It was a great learning experience for me and prepared me to work as a clinical pharmacist.
Great teaching environment
Office Manager (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCJune 5, 2016
I work 10-12 hours days, as the department I work in is utilized my the entire hospital and surrounding providers. Some days are busier than others, but all in all it is very productive.
My tyypical day at work.
Patient Service Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCFebruary 4, 2016
My typical day at work is vey fast paste from start to finish.
I enjoyed my co-workers who work very hard every day.
The hardest part of my job is the compute. The most enjoyable part is the team work and the morale of the department.
Pros
The joy and satisfaction in knowing that every day I am helping otthers.
Cons
Healthcare coverage and the great doctors are Medstar
Great co-workers, Horrible Management
Financial Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCAugust 28, 2015
Employees create a comfortable and family environment. In an admin position, I gained lots of clinical knowledge. Nurses were happy to educate admin and we all worked as a great team. Management, however, remained the elephant in the room. They fail to continue their education on the ever-changing healthcare system and wait for information to trickle down from executives which creates a slow, outdated work environment. Oh- and information can NOT trickle up. I will always remain good friends with many of my coworkers and hope to return to Georgetown once they complete re-engineer their organization.
Pros
Great people to work with

MedStar Georgetown University Hospital Reviews by Location