MedStar Harbor Hospital Employee Reviews

Non stop work environment in the emergency room
Registered Nurse Post Anesthesia Recovery Unit (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDNovember 14, 2017
you don't get lunch breaks if you work in the ED, plan on having multiple ICU patients at once, patients are just shoved into your rooms no matter what is going on because of patient volume and lack of staff. However, if you can work there and handle it any other place you go will be a breeze, good experience, just very stressful and hard work environment. Coworkers are awesome
Great management with some advancement opportunity
Diet Clerk (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MD 21225November 7, 2017
I work with Morrison Healthcare, a nutrition and food service contractor of MedStar. I'm in school to be a Dietician which currently limits me to a part-time role. I enjoy most of the people I work for and with. Most of the time, my managers are flexible around my school schedule, but its challenging (not unattainable) to transition into a supervisor or managerial role. Patience and persistence is key.
Pros
Flexible schedules, good communication, good benefits (when elligible)
Cons
Power in administration, not physician or clinical
N/a
Care Associate (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDOctober 23, 2017
I have had awesome experiances at Medstar Harbor Hospital the staff are very friendly and show team work skills .The patients are critical and non critcal care patients but no matter thier level of care our staff is always friendly and reliable to get the job done .
Life in the ER
Patient Care Technician (Emergency Department) (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDOctober 2, 2017
A day at work is a busy sick babies,cardiac arrest, patients with broken bones.I have learn to start an IV on a baby and administering CPR to restart a patient's heart,management can be seen
Working together, when we lost a patient, when we save a life.
Pros
Great benefits
educational experience
Supervisor - Phlebotomy & Specimen Processing (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDSeptember 18, 2017
interesting and learning environment. diverse working culture. patient oriented and quality health care. opportunities for employee advancement are provided by medstar health.
Ok
Systems Analyst (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDSeptember 5, 2017
Interesting experiences. Co workers were easy to work with. Work is not challenging enough. No job security with a revolving door of staff. Benefits are great.
harbor hospital
Medical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDAugust 2, 2017
it was my first job after 2 years of working at the peds dept and i fall in love in ob/gyn dept. the office was externally busy would see 50+ patient a day which was really busy but over all i got the experience of life time.
great view
Patient Care Associate (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, MDJuly 26, 2017
Harbor hospital has a great view but they have shut down so many floors that you can never know when your job will end. Only three floors left. Time to job hunt
Enjoyable work environment
RN (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDJune 5, 2017
The opportunities to learn are endless. Very fast paced work environment. Management is excellent. Everyone is always willing to help. Doctors are readily available and extremely helpful.
Administration not always focused on care of patients
Staff RN, Women and Infants Center (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDMay 18, 2017
Poor management of OB unit. Patient care not priority of administration. Focus was on money. Often worked in unsafe conditions because of inadequate staffing at night.Poor performing staff not handled well. Some instances of age and ethnic discrimination
Pros
good pay and benefits
Cons
Often worked with inadequate staffing
Not a bad place to work
Psychiatric Counselor (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDMay 6, 2017
Great for learning new experiences in a hospital setting. Depending on your team, you will gain knowledge in multiple departments. Nice view of city..
Fast Paced
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDApril 25, 2017
Fast paced fluctuating patient care load. The staff is very friendly and teamwork environment. Hospital takes pride in it's cleanliness and overall appearance.
Pros
Hard working staff
Cons
Lack of upper management decision transparency
This is just based upon my department
Medical Assistant Ob/Gyn (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDApril 25, 2017
I can only speak about my current department. Employees seem to come and go. HR and the higher ups need to look into why people leave in less than a years time. The management is terrible.
A place to work
Telecommunications Operator (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDMarch 31, 2017
You go to work and do your job, and leave and go home.
There is always something to learn working at Harbor Hospital if you want to. I always said I learned something new everyday I worked.
I think if they had more skilled management it would be a better place to work. There are some very nice people working at Harbor and there are some that just shouldn't be working with sick people at all. The hardest part of the job is working with people that just want to pick up a check and don't want to work. I enjoy working with all kinds of people and I like to help people so I loved working there as a part of a team.
Pros
Enjoying what you like to do
Cons
Getting laid off
godo place to start
Clinical Externship (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDMarch 27, 2017
Harbor Hospital is a good place to gain knowledge and experience needed to go further in your medical career. Though the job may not always be glamourous...and at times you may feel like you have bitten off more than you can chew; it is all preparing you tobe a better MA.
Scheduling sucks
Phlebotomist/Lab Assistant (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDMarch 21, 2017
if your not in someones click your hours are pretty much what they want to give you. Younger people are given more hours and on days you cant work they schedule you but days you're available they don't.
Pros
experience is gained in he workplace they train well
Cons
Scheduling has their favorites
good for first position but not long term career
Physician Assistant-Certified (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDSeptember 14, 2016
short commute
free parking
individuals in our field do not stay long
small community
good for new graduate
keep your privacy because it has the small town culture
good for first position but not long term career
Pros
free lunch
Cons
no opportunities for advancement
Great crew of people
Phlebotomist (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDMay 22, 2016
When I arrive at work I prepare myself for the first morning draw, checking my phlebotomy cart for adequate and necessary supplies to do my job as a phlebotomist on the first morning draw I usually have around 20-30 patients, once I complete my floor I return to the lab drop off my specimen collections, then return to the floor to assist any coworker who has not returned to the lab. My day working in the lab includes processing specimens, answering the dumwaiter, ed tubing system, accessioning specimens dropping off specimens to the appropriate department for testing, answer the phone, give results to physicians, stock supplies and collect specimens to our outpatient walk-ins. The most enjoyable part of the job is that I am assisting with providing patient care and helping with getting the patients on the road to better care, the hardest part is learning that a patient has expired. I have great co-workers and we all work well as a team.
fair
Team Lead/ Operations Manager (Current Employee) –  Hanover, MDFebruary 18, 2016
fair with no advancement opportunities.
We work all day without the proper coverage on the floors and some of the workers don't act like team players.
Pros
pot luck
Cons
no enough workers
Productive and learning experience
Certified Pharmacy Technician (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDFebruary 8, 2016
come in start he shift off with duties that have to done before day shift leaves.
learing experience is how to manage time and duties because I work alone on fridays and weekends
the hardest part is gage when to know what is important when a busy spell comes and what floor is more critical for needs and care
the most enjoyable part comes when a problems are solved