MedStar Health Employee Reviews

Fun productive work enviroment
Senior Technical Service Analyst (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDDecember 17, 2015
Good Company to work for. Challenging projects and nice co-workers. My manger was very nice and flexible. Tuition and Certification reimbursment.
Pros
Good Enviroment
Cons
No Overtime
Always interesting projects
Systems Engineer (Current Employee) –  White Marsh, MDOctober 26, 2015
I love to solve technical puzzles, and with 60 systems feeding into our medical record, there are always new and interesting challenges. I especially enjoy analyzing solved problems for possible monitoring in the future so we be proactive with similar issues. The piece de resistance, is being able to script solution as alert triggers so problems are solved automatically. The freedom to take initiative like this is really what makes MedStar so unique among large companies.
Pros
Work from home, and smart coworkers.
Cons
New projects can be implemented without proper analysis
Great Company to work for
Coding Specialist II (Current Employee) –  RemoteOctober 14, 2015
Flexible work hours, work remotely, great pay, awesome benefits, great management and support. Great all around company and feel blessed to be a part of this team!
Pros
everything
Cons
nothing
Fun people to work with
IT Project Lead/Network Analyst (Current Employee) –  Olney, MDAugust 21, 2015
Very good work environment with so many opportunities to relate . With over 10000 associates, there is a large pool of talent to learn from and grow technically though vertical professional growth in Information Technology is limited. Compensation also can be better.
Organization with lots of opportunities
Director of Business Development (Current Employee) –  Columbia, MDAugust 19, 2015
Great company with lots of advancement opportunities across the system. They're definitely a major player in the region. Next to the federal government, they are the biggest employer.
Pros
Advancement
Cons
Restructure
Medstar Health
Patient Access Specialist (Former Employee) –  Nottingham, MDAugust 18, 2015
Working at Medstar Health I did learn a lot. Everyone was great to work with. Not a lot of room for advancement. However if you want to learn a lot about the front end part of verifications and insurance information than this is the place to be.
Pros
Excellent health benefits
Cons
No room for advancement
Productive and Motivating Environment
Clinical Data & Analytics Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCAugust 16, 2015
This organization cares about its employees. Everyone I have worked for always motivated me to further my education and move up within the organization.
Excellent Place to work
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJuly 24, 2015
Medstar was a excellent place to be employed at. The management team ensured that each employed received the quality training need to function in every aspect of there job duties.
Productive, Fun to work in the summer
Database Information Specialist (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDJuly 23, 2015
MedStar can be a nice facility to work at. I love the summer casual dress code. But need a longer lunch break. And a more flexible work schedule.
Pros
Business Casual Attire with every Friday Jeans, T-Shirts and all summer Jeans and T-Shirts, Flip Flops
Cons
Short Lunch Breaks, very low flexibility with schedule. Sometimes they have no compassion for for their employees.
Working Relationships with Entire Hospital/System
Supply Chain Analyst - Franklin Square Hospital (Current Employee) –  White Marsh, MDJuly 8, 2015
My primary job responsibilities include database management for our inventory, reporting and analysis, project management, end-user support and training. As a result, I get to support not only the Supply Chain Management department, but all areas of the hospital like Med/Surg Nurse Managers, NICU, Emergency Department, Lab, OR, Corporate offices, other MedStar Hospital/Facilities, etc. I strive to understand the different areas of the hospital and their responsibilities because what they do ultimately impacts my job and better enables how I support them.
n/a
Insurance Specialist (Current Employee) –  Nottingham, MDJuly 8, 2015
overall great place but compensation could be better
job is more so about who you know vs. what you know
hardest part of the job is dealing with people that's in leadership and they don't know very much about the job
great
Revenue Control Associate (Current Employee) –  Nottingham, MDJune 24, 2015
good company to work for but some benefits can be revise and vacation, personal time should be separate. Medstar is a great company to work for. I am relocating that is why I am looking for other employment.
Pros
convienent, flexible, friendly
benefits
My opinion
Medical Collections Specialist (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDMay 1, 2015
This employer is okay. The people I have encountered have been great, the company as a whole is a good company. However some of the people chosen to be management attitudes don't reflec what they ask for in return from the other employees.
Pros
Some try and some do not
Cons
occurances for everything
This has been my place of employment since graduation from x ray school. So.. it's kinda like home to me. I'm still working here. Worth the commute
PRN (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDApril 11, 2015
Typical day of work includes the feast or famine, sometimes more of one than the other, but never too dull a day. Patients and coworkers keep it interesting.
I've learned that there are things I can learn from everyone... Some like to teach. some don't like to be bothered. It's working for people with people. I'd like to think we can all get along and for the most part, we do!
Management is sometimes a bit removed from the actual front lines... I've worked at two hospitals and there may be this type of mentality of an (us vs them) that is realized at ANY place where the administrative and managerial staff aren't all that "present" unless there is some perceived reason whether handing new policies out or other "delegated work". I'd like to think that we are all links and that as long as we are all connected, the wheel keeps going. When a link gets a bit stuck or rigid , some lubricant may need applied to operate smoothly again. Sometimes the link wants to abandon the others and then the wheel no longer is moving as the chain is no longer effective. One link does effect the rest of the chain. Problem is it doesn't matter if it is a "master" link or not. Same result happens. Anyhow.
My coworkers are great! At least I think they are. If I'm wrong... I'll let them tell you. ;>)
Hardest part of my job is that it hasn't quite raised the salary to accommodate the raising in prices all over the place elsewhere... I don't like that the Orthopedic folks like to have lots of connected exams. For example... someone may come in with elbow pain... the Orthopedic staff
  more... would like to see wrist, forearm, elbow, and humerus films as well. I'm thinking that there should be some way to actually hold up to our ALARA (as low as reasonable achievable) standard. To me it seems that there is a bit of unnecessary films, when 9 times out of 10..if there is a problem, it was where the pain was initially described by patient. The only other gripe is when you are on portable exams... we use a pager to respond back for folks that need stat portable x-ray exams. Multiple folks have paged for the same person to be done and when you are the tech and you have to stop what you're doing just to get the same information you already knew to be true prior seems to be non productive. This was addressed (by me) and for some time it got better. Sometimes things change, sometimes they stay the same. Sometimes... it is a back and forth thing.
The most enjoyable part of my job is doing my job. I love what I do and I can't necessarily force my happiness on folks. I do treat others as I would like to be treated. I like when someone who came in upset can leave encouraged cuz there ARE people that still caring and respectful of other people. I tend to share my faith in Jesus. He IS for everybody, but not everyone sees Him the same way. I don't think that will change before He comes back and clears things up. We can't force belief, just like we can't force x-rays. The receiving party will feel violated, (exposed), no pun intended with the x-ray thing...okay, maybe just a little.. ;>) I don't have too much negative to say actually. This is a well known hand/wrist trauma clinic as well as a great heart and spine hospital as well. I have never wanted to leave this place no matter how busy it got. We weren't made to be lazy. I'm hoping this review didn't get too off the topic. But I do like to add they have a digital portable machine for shooting portable x-rays. I like that! They are keeping up with the nicest stuff to work with. Good people, Good tools, Good results!
Pros
They don't force their employees to pay to park in the garage, To me I feel that they value their employees more by not taxing them on top of what Uncle Sam takes.
Cons
I remember when I first started working there, there'd be "incentives" to take the extra shifts, Depending on the day/evening/overnight status, You'd be able to make a bonus on top of the extra shift, That was taken away, I am sure it was due to the budget which sometimes, you can't budge it.
great learning enviorment
Medical Assistant (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCApril 8, 2015
Medstar is an overall good company to work for. Just got to watch out for co workers. They will through you under the bus. They will work you until you fall..
Pros
Good Money
Cons
No real lunch breaks or set time to get off
Good Company to Gain Skills With
Analyst (Current Employee) –  Columbia, MDMarch 25, 2015
I work at the Corporate Office in Columbia. Long hours doing interesting work, but somewhat underpays relative to comparable work at other entities. Depending on your department, few opportunities for "middle-management," and they don't always retain/kindle talent like they should. Overall, a good place to work with a great vision, but career progression within the company is not always possible, depending on the department you work in.
A day at medstar
Supervisor Clerical Support (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCMarch 9, 2015
Working for this company can be described as a great experience. Everyday one learn new things about the hospital and policies
Great Place to Work
Executive Assistant (Former Employee) –  Columbia, MDMarch 4, 2015
Happy to have had the experience to work here within a great healthcare system with awesome people and fair management.
I loved interacting with the patients
Financial Assoc/Insurance Spec (Oncology) (Former Employee) –  baltimore,mdJanuary 27, 2015
lockbox, creating patient statements, posting payments and rejections to patient accounts, customer service, filing
hospital pharmacy
Pharmacy Technician CPhT (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDJanuary 8, 2015
We start our day by receiving inventory pulling drugs to fill script that are one order for the day. we take prescription in thru all form and fill them in a timely manor cashing patient in out all day taking in prescription typing them up looking up insurance info