MedStar Health

MedStar Health Employee Reviews

great
Revenue Control Associate (Current Employee), Nottingham, MDJune 24, 2015
Pros: convienent, flexible, friendly
Cons: benefits
good company to work for but some benefits can be revise and vacation, personal time should be separate. Medstar is a great company to work for. I am relocating that is why I am looking for other employment.
My opinion
Medical Collections Specialist (Current Employee), Baltimore, MDMay 1, 2015
Pros: Some try and some do not
Cons: occurances for everything
This employer is okay. The people I have encountered have been great, the company as a whole is a good company. However some of the people chosen to be management attitudes don't reflec what they ask for in return from the other employees.
This has been my place of employment since graduation from x ray school. So.. it's kinda like home to me. I'm still working here. Worth the commute
PRN (Current Employee), Baltimore, MDApril 11, 2015
Pros: They don't force their employees to pay to park in the garage, To me I feel that they value their employees more by not taxing them on top of what Uncle Sam takes.
Cons: I remember when I first started working there, there'd be "incentives" to take the extra shifts, Depending on the day/evening/overnight status, You'd be able to make a bonus on top of the extra shift, That was taken away, I am sure it was due to the budget which sometimes, you can't budge it.
Typical day of work includes the feast or famine, sometimes more of one than the other, but never too dull a day. Patients and coworkers keep it interesting.
I've learned that there are things I can – more... learn from everyone... Some like to teach. some don't like to be bothered. It's working for people with people. I'd like to think we can all get along and for the most part, we do!
Management is sometimes a bit removed from the actual front lines... I've worked at two hospitals and there may be this type of mentality of an (us vs them) that is realized at ANY place where the administrative and managerial staff aren't all that "present" unless there is some perceived reason whether handing new policies out or other "delegated work". I'd like to think that we are all links and that as long as we are all connected, the wheel keeps going. When a link gets a bit stuck or rigid , some lubricant may need applied to operate smoothly again. Sometimes the link wants to abandon the others and then the wheel no longer is moving as the chain is no longer effective. One link does effect the rest of the chain. Problem is it doesn't matter if it is a "master" link or not. Same result happens. Anyhow.
My coworkers are great! At least I think they are. If I'm wrong... I'll let them tell you. ;>)
Hardest part of my job is that it hasn't quite raised the salary to accommodate the raising in prices all over the place elsewhere... I don't like that the Orthopedic folks like to have lots of connected exams. For example... someone may come in with elbow pain... the Orthopedic staff would like to see wrist, forearm, elbow, and humerus films as well. I'm thinking that there should be some way to actually hold up to our ALARA (as low as reasonable achievable) standard. To me it seems that there is a bit of unnecessary films, when 9 times out of 10..if there is a problem, it was where the pain was initially described by patient. The only other gripe is when you are on portable exams... we use a pager to respond back for folks that need stat portable x-ray exams. Multiple folks have paged for the same person to be done and when you are the tech and you have to stop what you're doing just to get the same information you already knew to be true prior seems to be non productive. This was addressed (by me) and for some time it got better. Sometimes things change, sometimes they stay the same. Sometimes... it is a back and forth thing.
The most enjoyable part of my job is doing my job. I love what I do and I can't necessarily force my happiness on folks. I do treat others as I would like to be treated. I like when someone who came in upset can leave encouraged cuz there ARE people that still caring and respectful of other people. I tend to share my faith in Jesus. He IS for everybody, but not everyone sees Him the same way. I don't think that will change before He comes back and clears things up. We can't force belief, just like we can't force x-rays. The receiving party will feel violated, (exposed), no pun intended with the x-ray thing...okay, maybe just a little.. ;>) I don't have too much negative to say actually. This is a well known hand/wrist trauma clinic as well as a great heart and spine hospital as well. I have never wanted to leave this place no matter how busy it got. We weren't made to be lazy. I'm hoping this review didn't get too off the topic. But I do like to add they have a digital portable machine for shooting portable x-rays. I like that! They are keeping up with the nicest stuff to work with. Good people, Good tools, Good results! – less
great learning enviorment
Medical Assistant (Current Employee), Washington, DCApril 8, 2015
Pros: Good Money
Cons: No real lunch breaks or set time to get off
Medstar is an overall good company to work for. Just got to watch out for co workers. They will through you under the bus. They will work you until you fall..
Good Company to Gain Skills With
Analyst (Current Employee), Columbia, MDMarch 25, 2015
I work at the Corporate Office in Columbia. Long hours doing interesting work, but somewhat underpays relative to comparable work at other entities. Depending on your department, few opportunities for – more... "middle-management," and they don't always retain/kindle talent like they should. Overall, a good place to work with a great vision, but career progression within the company is not always possible, depending on the department you work in. – less
A day at medstar
Supervisor Clerical Support (Current Employee), Washington, DCMarch 9, 2015
Working for this company can be described as a great experience. Everyday one learn new things about the hospital and policies
Great Place to Work
Executive Assistant (Former Employee), Columbia, MDMarch 4, 2015
Happy to have had the experience to work here within a great healthcare system with awesome people and fair management.
I loved interacting with the patients
Financial Assoc/Insurance Spec (Oncology) (Former Employee), baltimore,mdJanuary 27, 2015
lockbox, creating patient statements, posting payments and rejections to patient accounts, customer service, filing
hospital pharmacy
Pharmacy Technician CPhT (Former Employee), Baltimore, MDJanuary 8, 2015
We start our day by receiving inventory pulling drugs to fill script that are one order for the day. we take prescription in thru all form and fill them in a timely manor cashing patient in out all day taking in prescription typing them up looking up insurance info
A Day in the Life at MedStar
Insurance Verification Specialist (Former Employee), White Marsh, MDDecember 27, 2014
Pros: great atmosphere
Cons: short lunch breaks
Working at MedStar I learned that if you did not understand something someone was always there to help and assist. They took the time and explained what to do and how to do the task at hand.
Productive company to work for, very professional (Corporate atmosphere)
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee), Columia, MDDecember 23, 2014
A typical day for me would be scheduling meetings for the execs, handling the directory line for all MedStar locations, covering other desk with in the corporate suite during lunch breaks, opening and – more... closing the office, handling all email correspondents.

My management while with Medstar was fair. My direct supervisor wasn't always present and when she was she would usually be occupied with other issues so often times I found myself supervising myself but when her present was made she did make sure to assist and make sure all my needs were met.

I enjoyed my co-workers and even learned how to use software that I wasn't as advanced in such as Excel. They were very pleasant to be around, understood proper team work, and they were professional. – less
Very committed and professional organization.
Senior Financial Analyst (Current Employee), Columbia, MDDecember 2, 2014
Pros: good industry, great work ethic and good location.
Excellent organization, dedicated professionals committed to excellence.
Beautiful learning enviroments for new grads
Certified Medical Assistant (Current Employee), Silver Spring, MDNovember 29, 2014
Pros: free speech during staff meetings
Cons: 30 minute lunches
Assisted PA and MD weekly to engage and assist with maintenance of patients overall health
Good Hosptial
Clinical Staff Nurse (Former Employee), Washington, DCNovember 12, 2014
An employee there for 20 years, saw many improvements made with the building of Washington Heart and the new garage. Have made great improvements in mother/baby units. Staffing has improved on some units but continues to be great need on others.
Medstar
Patient Financial Access Specialist (Current Employee), White Marsh, MDOctober 27, 2014
We have a very comfortable work environment. This is a great job.
practice manager
Practice Manager (Former Employee), BaltimoreOctober 15, 2014
Pros: colleagues
Cons: hospital location
great place to work with fantastic employees. would recommend Medstar to others.
The employees at Medstar come together and do what must be done to get the job completed.
Accounting Associate (Former Employee), White Marsh, MDOctober 6, 2014
I compliment my fellow employees that I had an honor to work with while employed at Medstar. What ever differences one might have, when it came down to getting the job done . . . Everyone worked very hard – more... together as a team. I am glad to have been a part of such a hard working group of women. As for management, I don't agree with their thought process when the time comes around for raises. For every person in that office building did above and beyond our daily requirement and met all deadlines, yet corporate did not recognize what it took and what was given from each employee to finish these projects. My overall review is that I enjoyed what I did and the women that I worked with. It was truly a challenge (which I enjoyed) . . .The manager would say, "Don't bring her a problem unless you have an answer to the problem". I would do this on a regular basis, due to the fact that my job was trouble shooting ! – less
Would NOT recommend this org or dept
Corporate (Former Employee), CorporateSeptember 18, 2014
Pros: high salary, good work-life balance, healthcare
Cons: short breaks, little chance for growth, poor management from the top down, untrustworthy, high turnover
The department is poorly managed and has a high turnover rate. There are no team building and camaraderie amongst management and the staff. The opportunity for promotion is very low. The organization is – more... decentralized and there are different rules, policies, and processes across the organization which makes working effectively much more difficult. Although the work-life balance was great, I often brought the "stress" home with me. – less
Always busy
Medical Biller (Current Employee), Baltimore, MDSeptember 11, 2014
There is always something to do so you are never bored. The staff is great and wonderful to work around.
enjoyed the job
Reimbursement Specialist (Former Employee), Elkridge, MDAugust 31, 2014
Pros: wonderful place to work
Cons: turn over rate was high
I love collections, always to help the patients out. I worked with the Florida branch. I had lots of sick kids. There passing was hard. It was like I knew my patients.

1 2 3 4