Medstar National Rehabilitation Network

Medstar National Rehabilitation Network Employee Reviews

Productive, positive, motivating environment
Physical Therapy Aide (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCFebruary 5, 2015
Within The National Rehabilitation Hospital, I learned a tremendous amount working alongside patients with traumatic brain injuries, spinal cord injuries, cardiac patients, stroke victims, amputees, and more. In this setting, I learned how to transfer patients, check vital signs, and operate rehabilitation equipment. I also learned how to perform therapeutic exercises, construct wheelchairs, and create patient feedback forms for inpatients. The hardest part of my job was learning how to efficiently work with patients who suffered from cognitive deficiencies, and working through language barriers. The most enjoyable part of my job was being exposed to so much knowledge and innovation within one setting. I loved the positive environment of The National Rehabilitation Hospital and all of the amazing people within it.
Pros
great management, extremely organized, amazing employees
Cons
strenuous, emotionally draining at times
Great place to get the good and bad of healthcare
Rehabilitation Care Technician (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCDecember 10, 2014
A typical day at NRH involves patient care of patients who partially or completely dependent of staff. It requires patience, compassion, and teamwork. I learned that even when the staff does not recognize your worth or work ethic, the patients definitely see it. It is important to work as a team to complete some of your harder tasks - such as lifting a patient.

The hardest part of the job, is not being appreciated for the work that you have to put in every time you come into work. However, the best part of work is having a patient thank you for helping them when they needed it most. Sometimes all our patients may want is a warm blanket, a glass of water, or to be turned in their bed.

It is moments like these that make you continue to work at an establishment.
Pros
flexible schedule, decent pay, great experience for nursing students.
Cons
poor communication skills of managerial staff.
Great atmosphere to facilitate effective patient care.
Student Physical Therapist (Former Employee) –  Pasadena, MDAugust 19, 2012
Medstar National Rehab Network in Pasadena was one of the best outpatient facilities I've been a part of. I was able to have a manageable patient caseload day to day, state of the art modalities, and excellent and friendly coworkers. I was able to improve on my knowledge of manual therapy techniques, and effectiveness of various modalities. The toughest portion of the day which occurred very infrequently, was completing paperwork for initial evaluations when your caseload for the day was full. During these instances, I felt I've improved significantly in my time management skills. The best aspect of working at the Pasadena office was being able to collaborate with other therapists to improve on treatment techniques/ideas for complex patients.
A productive Medical Records Department
Medical Tech II (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCAugust 28, 2013
I was responsible for handling the medical records for the patients . I filed, made notes, performed data entry duties , and corresponded with various offices within the hospital. Oftentimes, I delivered charts to different departments and on a daily basis, I picked charts up and dealt with them respectably.The management team was full of energy and very professional. This job was fun to report to on a daily and was full of new experiences. Unfortunately, it was contracted out and job security was at risk.I learned that people in the healthcare profession are very compassionate.I enjoyed the workplace environment very much and wasn't displeased with anything. The hardest part of the job was getting there.
Pros
awesome cafeteria with affordable prices
Cons
contract work
A very comfortable and homely environment to work
Registered Nurse (Clinical Nurse) (Current Employee) –  Washington DCOctober 4, 2015
A typical day is to assist patient to get back to their normal life routine or near to normal. The nurse- patient ratio is at most 1:7 and the least ratio is 1:4 when the census is low. Your co-workers are very understanding and cooperative most of the time. The hardest part of the job is when your patients refuses care and their is nothing you can do to convince them to get the care they need. The most enjoyable part of the job is to see a patients who were incapacitated on admission, walk and do things for themselves that they were unable to do on admission.
Pros
healthcare, benefits
Cons
unable to make once schedule
Good Company
Office Assistant (Current Employee) –  Bethesda, MdSeptember 8, 2015
I currently work at the Bethesda location. Fun atmosphere, but VERY BUSY Location. The patients are friendly at times, I'm real close with certain co workers. Great company since it has a lot of locations in the area for patients that can't be seen or anything.

Management sucks, no room for advancement. You have to know someone to move up or be the right "color" if you know what I mean.

Pay is average. Benefits are awesome.

Your off on major holidays. Wish we would close early on Fridays like normal doctor offices would and also receive free lunch, don't see why we can't.
Benefits
fun place to be
Special Police Officer (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCDecember 14, 2014
I have been with Medstar for 10 years now. a typical day is coming to work, securing the building no problems. The one thing I have learned is expect the unexpected. The management is great. they are good people to work for. My coworkers make it so you wanna come to work. The hardest part of my job is getting close to the patients and they end up leaving, weither its thru death or just leaving the hospital. The most enjoyable part of my job is watching patients come threw the doors not walking or talking but after intense therpy they leave the facility walking and talking.
It is nice to work there with a good benefits
Diet Clerk (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCMay 23, 2013
I learned many things such as team work and patience when dealing with patients. The co workers are organized and hard workers. The hardest part of the job was working on the weekend because many workers are off on these days and the workload is upon the individual workers The most enjoyable part of the job is satisfying the patients with good meals.
Pros
some of the benefits has a good health insurance
Cons
there are shortages of workers and the work is overloaded on the other workers on the weekend
Very diverse, I love working and interacting with people from all walks of life
Clinical Assistant (Current Employee) –  Clinton,MdJune 11, 2015
I something different everyday in reference to Medstars spirit value and procedures as well as a typical day seeing between 75-100 patients which keeps us busy The hardest part of the job s standing on my feet for such long periods of time. The most enjoyable part are the patients because everyday is never the same.
Never do Fulltime.
Acute Therapy Aide (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCDecember 16, 2015
The Company does not have enough parking for its employees and makes you park in MD. There are only 3 techs for 50 therapist. The working environment is horrible. Employees never stay longer than a year in the Rehab Dept. I've been with the company for five years and the benefits are great, however, the rehab dept not so much.
Pros
Benefits.
Cons
Parking, Management, Compensation, Respect
Convenient for College Students
Physical Therapy Aide (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCMay 29, 2015
This is a great position for those who are looking into becoming a physical therapist. You will get tons of direct patient care experience that will make you very comfortable being alone with patients. The flexi pool position is a sacrifice of Saturdays but it requires sacrifice to get where you would like to be in life.
NRH is a great place to work
HR Generalist, Data Quality & Systems (Former Employee) –  Human Resources DepartmentFebruary 29, 2012
The National Rehabilitation Hospital makes a tremedous difference for those needing rehabilitation treatment. The atmosphere is friendly, open and encouraging. I would recommend this facility for any person needing rehabilitation services. The live up to their objective of "Patient First".
Clinical Assistant (Current Employee) –  Chevy Chase, MDJanuary 27, 2015
Everyone is friendly, the management is top-notch.

The best part about working at medstar is the company culture. They do a great job of having orientations and parties for the employees and you really feel like a part of something bigger and better than just a out-patient clinic.
Pros
company culture
Cons
pay
a great work place
Hostess/ Food Prep/ Cashier (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCMarch 26, 2012
this had to be my favorite job yet, due to management. All mangers was understanding, and most of all fair. My co-workers became my friends, and it was just enjoyable place. I learned that everyone i management does not have the strong head, and favoritism.
Pros
free lunch, healthcare, dental
Cons
short breaks
Patients Are First Priority
Material Support Manager & Purchasing Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCJuly 8, 2014
The best part of Medstar NRH is working directly with the medical staff, to meet the needs of the patients while providing a fun therapeutic atmosphere to heal, learn, and grow.
Pros
fun team member events
Cons
promotion opportunities
Awesome Place to Work
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJanuary 24, 2012
If the position wasn't for the sole purpose of on-the-job training, I would have loved to work there full time. The people were friendly despite some of their situations, it was very inspiring.
Pros
free lunch, short commute, friendly people
Cons
short term position
Provide secretarial duties
Secretary (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCAugust 6, 2015
NRH is not the greatest place to work. The energy is off it was not easy to work in a environment where people do not say hi. I would say patients are given great rehabilitation activities to assist with recovery. Over all it was not a healthy place to be a employee
Different Environment
Assistant Clinical Nurse Manager (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCJanuary 22, 2016
A typical work day as an assistant manager is atypical. No two days are the same. The most enjoyable part of the job is talking with the patients and working with some of the nurses, who are amazing.
Pros
pay
Cons
no 12 hr shifts for management
Excellent work culture and fostering of growth
Clinical Affiliation (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJuly 30, 2015
Staff at NRH, Medstar in Washington, DC are friendly, personable. Management is there to foster growth and promote a patient friendly environment.
Cons
Large patient population, resources limited by hospital setting.
Travel Agency Clinical Nurse II
Travel Agency Clinical Nurse II (Former Employee) –  Washington DCJuly 16, 2014
Perform independent health assessments of individuals and families by evaluating their physical, mental, social and environmental health status; and provide nursing intervention based on need of assessment.