MedStar Washington Hospital Center Employee Reviews

typical day at work
Patient Care Technician (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCDecember 8, 2017
a typical day at work would be good. its like a second home once used to it and your employees. Its amazing when we all work together as a team, and perform the work well done.
Pros
paid school
Cons
n/a
A day at WHC
Medical Office Assistant (Current Employee) –  Washington City, DCDecember 6, 2017
What I have learned is that there is always something to do. If you are bored or there is downtime remember that there is always something to do. I have been in the practice of making improvements to my department's appearance or tools utilized by the department.
stressful place to work .very diverse.
Senior Cardiovascular Technologist (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCNovember 13, 2017
Assist physician with routine and complex invasive diagnostic and therapeutic cardiovascular procedures, review and documented patient histories and supporting clinical data. Responsible for operation and monitoring of cardiac imaging equipment and preparing supplies required to conduct procedures. Insert IABP,Swan Ganz catheter. Monitor patient hemodynamic during cardiac catherization procedure,continue a through knowledge of technology, equipment and departmental processes and procedures
Pros
working with a diverse group of people
Cons
no cons, its a great place to work.
Very Attentive
Medical Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCNovember 1, 2017
I'm a temporary employee and since I started, I've had all good experiences with everyone I encountered. Management has been communicated effectively and efficiently. I would recommend anyone to work here who loves to help people.
Knowing the Job
Medical Assistant Clinical (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCOctober 25, 2017
Needed a manager/ Management with a better understanding of how the clinical side operates. Being evaluated on your performance by someone who does not know what it is that you are required to do is not comforting nor does it make you feel secure in you job.
productive hospital and doctors
Medical Assistant, Externship (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCOctober 25, 2017
good for internship and/or exterernship great doctors and staff . Washington hospital is in the the top 5 Ratings for best hospital. great on surgeries and rehabilitation for patients . top north Surgeons
Pros
great food
Cons
nothing wrong
satisfactory
Nurse Practitioner (Current Employee) –  Washington City, DCOctober 10, 2017
Little opportunity for career advancement- this is the main reason for leaving. Hours are good and work life balance are good : 8-4. Management is poor.
Fast Paced, and stimulating
RN Case Manager (Current Employee) –  MWHCOctober 8, 2017
WHC is a large teaching hospital. The pace is fast, the learning opportunities are endless. A great place to work and great department staff, and management.
Pros
Benefits, job satisfaction, helping the patients and families.
Cons
Parking.
A good place to work
Unit Clerk/Secretary (Former Employee) –  4H Burn and Trauma ICUOctober 8, 2017
Medstar Washington Hospital Center is a good hospital and a very good place to work and to get the training you need to start your new career. I learned a lot from Medstar Washington Hospital Center when I worked there and I will love to work there again but have a different manager/director.
Average Place to work
Instructor: Information Technology- (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCOctober 4, 2017
The benefits offered are good, the culture is good, however for non union employees there is no job security as it relates to issue you might encounter with your direct manager. The manager are given to much authority with the decision on how a employee should be discipline employees.
Pros
Good Benefits
Cons
lack of support by HR for non union employees
Friendly and Productive Workplace
Operating room Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCOctober 3, 2017
Everyday is a learning experience and the workplace culture is diverse and welcoming. The most enjoyable part of the job is knowing that I made an impact by helping and caring for patients.
Mwhc job review
Registered Nursing Informatics (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCSeptember 23, 2017
Typical day at work is busy, fast-paced, and never boring.
What I learned: Leadership, team work, great critical thinking, prioritization of care, triage, time management, good verbal and written communication skills.
Management: is efficient and reliable.
Workplace culture: Patient and Safety first; Diversity, Respect.
Hardest part of job: Unpredictability of critical patient status given the high acuity of patient population.
Most enjoyable: Knowing that all efforts to save a life is worth it when it yields good results and patient is satisfied with job done.
Pros
Very much room for a professional to learn and grow
Cons
Work might become overwhelming to some.
Productive and very balanced
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCSeptember 22, 2017
It's always something to do at Miss. Washington hospital dealing with patients. And you have to be very fast and very patient with working there and you will always get attached to the patience and the employers that work there
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
Hour breaks
Good place to learn
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  DC - District of Columbia, DCSeptember 17, 2017
Good place to learn as its a teaching hospital. Staff development and education very important here. Doctors are however not always very respectfull of the nurses.
Face paced and challenging
CLINICAL NURSE, CARDIOVASCULAR INTENSIVE CARE (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCSeptember 11, 2017
We face many challenges in a typical day. Our patients are extremely acute and their conditions can change in a short amount of time. The most enjoyable part of the job is when the patients begin to recover and no longer need ICU care, the challenging part is watching a patient transition from life to death. We have excellent teamwork, and strive to make staff feel supported.
This hospital is more run as a business as opposed to a hospital
Clinical Resource Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCSeptember 11, 2017
Leadership lacks knowledge of their roles. Management fails to advocate for staff making it almost impossible to practice holistic care, which is a pillar to the delivery of quality healthcare
Everyday was a adventure.
Patient & Guest Service Rep. (Former Employee) –  Washington City, DCSeptember 7, 2017
Most days you would encounter the calm before the storm. I learned to appreciate my life to the fullest. Without being sick or any type of illness. Most of the managers are very helpful and available anytime of the day. The culture @ WHC was very diverse and friendly. The most difficult moments were, when patients expired whom you would grow to know and care about. The most happiest would be seeing patients over/come their illness.
Pros
Working with people in need and being rewarded in benefits for your dedication.
Cons
Budget cuts.
Excellent care for patients
Level 1 Trauma Center On-Call Chaplain (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCAugust 29, 2017
A high quality of care provided at this Level 1 Urban trauma center. Job very fulfilling.A great place to work and be with colleagues who provide such caring,compassionate service.
Pros
Parking
Cons
Only one chaplain on duty after 7 pm
Fast Paced, Productive and Team Playing
Hospital business office specialist (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCAugust 23, 2017
Med-Star entails on a typical day fast paced and never boring. There is rarely down time which is great because the day goes fast. I enjoyed working with patients and attending to their needs as necessary to best of my ability. There are times when it can get so overwhelming that I can not take care of patients efficient and in a timely fashion.The culture at Med-Star is a team playing one that each employee helps the other. Employees in other departments assist as needed to get the patient to where their appointments are. I enjoyed my time there and would still be employed there if it was due to the outsourcing of departments. I was dedicated employee from up to the time and was an employee for twenty four years.
Pros
Travel distance, Excellent Wages and Benefits
Cons
Expensive Parking and rotating shifts
Really for the young and restless
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCAugust 22, 2017
The atmosphere was stressful. It was very fast paced and on top of that, some of the nurses were either too hyper or too chill. There was lack of coordination between bed management and ER, so we often have patients waiting in the hallway for a ready bed, and on top of that, there's always some sort of a code going on.
Pros
Job security
Cons
Understaffing