MedStar Washington Hospital Center Employee Reviews

Productive & safe work environment
Unit Clerk (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCDecember 3, 2015
I enjoy working at mwhc. I am looking for full time employment. At present I am prn pt unit clerk . I would like to remain at the hospital if all possible with a full time position in a different dept.
Pros
POSITIVE WORKING ENVIRONMENT
Cons
NONE
positive place to work
Oncology Nurse Navigator (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCNovember 30, 2015
Duplicate review of what I have done, I am a Nurse Navigator at MedStar Washington Hopital Center. I provide care for a multidisease group of patients
love patient first and caring to help others.
Transporter,unitclerk,housekeeper, (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCNovember 1, 2015
working at this hospital was a great reward for me I've learned so much at this hospital its a great place to work. and also patient care and inner acting with the patients , showing my care for the patients was a great experience and plus for me.
Pros
patient first
Fun and productive
Emergency Response Operator (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCOctober 22, 2015
I worked at Medstar for 18 years and it is a wonderful place to work. Management was easy to talk to, they tried to address your issues and assist as much as possible.
Always something new in the ER
RN, Emergency Department (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCOctober 3, 2015
Currently I work as a nurse in an inner city emergency room. I love the fast paced environment of the ER, but also open to other options. I am a quick learner - you have to be in the emergency room! I work well with others. I have learned so much during my time at WHC the past three years. I have seen everything from a sore throat to an aortic tear to gun shot wound(s). You never know what will walk (or be brought) through the door next. The most enjoyable part of my job is treating the critically ill and seeing their improvements. I also have amazing co workers and that always is a plus to have. I love it because if you ever have a bad day, you know that there are your co-workers there to build you back up.
Cohesive and efficient working individual
PT Trauma Unit/ ED Service Assoicate (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCSeptember 16, 2015
From the moment when I walk through the door there is always something that has to be done. Maybe paperwork from the previous days has to file or the phones are ringing from request line. Once I do finally have a seat at my desk there are documents that I must review and also make a evaluation depending on what the paperwork states.
I have learned that a good working environment is the best on to be in. I also feel that have a complete understanding for the type of work you do, will show that you actually are good at what you do. So I take notes, I thoroughly listen. In the case that I don’t understand something I use my resources to finding/seeking an answer.
Management is where I should be able to take constructive criticism, and improved my daily work flow. They are managing my form of work, and that allows me to show my skill set for multitasking. But I feel that management should be well chosen leadership individuals that understand the duties of their peers.
My co-workers/Colleagues are individuals that often come together to get the job done. My colleagues are individuals that I can rely on in case of danger or distress. My colleagues are individuals that don’t caught up on perfection but definitely dependable when it comes to getting the job done.
The hardest part of what I do is the level of patience that the average person must have to be successful. Sometimes speed isn’t most key, but instead accuracy is the most important piece.
The most enjoyable part is just seeing the looks on the patients face from knowing that you have done a good job.
Medstar
Medical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCSeptember 9, 2015
I enjoyed working at the facility, but there were too many employee changes within the practice (very high turnover). The last individuals were easy to work with, they were a great team. The management weren't so great. Most of the patients were very nice and respectful. Overall it was a good practice except for the treatment we received from some of the phycisians.
Pros
LOCATION, MOSTLY ENJOYABLE JOB
Cons
SHORT BREAKS, MISTREATED SOMETIMES
working together and helping each other is fun
RN (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCSeptember 4, 2015
some times it is busy and some times it is not that busy on the unit but we all work together and I am really happy about it every day I learn some thing new and our management is very helpful and supportive in everything hard part of the job is some time you don't get help when you needed and the most enjoyable part of job is to see a baby comming out crying and see the mother also crying with happiness to see her baby and all the family screeming with joy to see the new baby
Pros
we get free lunches on holidays
Cons
we get 30 min breaks
Fun place to work
RN (Current Employee) –  WASHINGTON DCAugust 24, 2015
Ive loved working on this hospital, loved the people I worked with over the years. Great team work. I go in usually 30 minutes before work, review my patients chart before I get report. My mornings are filled up with huddles, from my managers and the medical team. I go and see my patients from critical to stable, do what need to be done based on priority. I would assess my patients, and based on those assessments, I would find out what needed to be don e for each patient. My day is surrounded by assessments, implementations of nursing care and evaluations.
Pros
ITS A CHALLENGE AND I LOVE THE LEARNING ASPECT OF IT
Cons
TOO STRESSFUL
The company was a great learning experience
Food Service Worker I in Nutrition Services (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCJuly 30, 2015
I learned to repair several pieces of Durable Medical Equipment and I also gave in-service classes on how the DME worked and to troubleshoot
great job with lots of issues to work through.
Emergency Medical Technician (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCJuly 10, 2015
Job is great, learned a lot about critical care, management is horrible.
Co workers are very smart.
Getting held over for late calls is the hardest part.
Diverse patient population with ample opportunities for nurses
Clinical Nurse (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCMay 20, 2015
Not for everyone. Fast paced level one trauma center in DC. Patients are sicker on regular floors in comparison to smaller community hospitals. Great learning experience. If you can work here, you can work anywhere as an RN. Management really varies from unit to unit.
Great place to work!
Medical Office Assistant III (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCMay 17, 2015
Overall, this is really a great company to work for. The benefits are great and the pay scale is even greater. I would work for them again if the situation arises.
Customer efficient and high performing workplace
Floor Technician (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCApril 23, 2015
Most enjoyable part of my job is knowing that patients and their families are being taking care of in a hospitable and professional manner. Ensuring customer service and satisfaction are given to all employees, doctors, nurses,patients, families and visitors.
Pros
high performing teammates
Productive and Fun place to Work
Central Financial Clearance Rep./ER Registration (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCApril 10, 2015
I have met some wonderful and knowledgeable people here. Everyone is super polite and very efficient. Great place to work.
Overall good place to grow
I transported patients by assisting patients (Former Employee) –  Washington,DCMarch 29, 2015
Its a good place to grow but the job security is not good. They have a union who sometimes does its job. The staffing there is good . They have tuition reimbursement for those who are in school or wants to attend .
Productive work place and great for learning.
Medical Office Assistant II (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCMarch 13, 2015
Great team players and everyone always put patients first mind set. The company is well to teach and educate their staff.
Conducive work environment
Clinical Nurse (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCMarch 11, 2015
On a typical day at work, i received reports on my patients, logged into the phone system, determined which patient to see first based on severity of condition, assessed my patients, addressed patient needs and did the necessary follow up.
I walked to a patient's room and the patient was lethargic, i quickly checked her blood sugar and learned that the patient was hypoglycemic. I stayed with the patient and called my coworkers for help. My coworkers were very helpful, we revived the patient as quickly as possible. The hardest part of the job was that i had floated to a new unit and did not know much about the unit, however my coworkers were there for me at all times.
The most enjoyable part of the job is that i was able to determine the problem and had it solved as early as possible.
Pros
free lunch ticket on my birthday
Cons
patient load, taking late lunch break
Great environment for learning. Great environment for advancement
Flight Nurse MedSTAR Transport (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCFebruary 19, 2015
Medstar Washington Hospital Center is a large tertiary care hospital in the Nations Capital which makes the possibilities for nurses endless. Tuition assistance and clinical support make this environment a great place to start and grow in your nursing career.
Pros
tuition asistance, high acuity clinical experience
Cons
diminishing benefits, short staffing
Challenging, Rewarding Position
Senior Communications Specialist (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCNovember 17, 2014
This is position where no 2 days are ever the same. Early in the day I could be flying a sick patient from a small community hospital up to our facility for a life-saving intervention, and later in the afternoon I could be arranging a fixed wing flight for a surgical team going to harvest organs in Kansas.
Pros
great benefits, friendly coworkers
Cons
long hours, sporadic schedule