Meggitt Employee Reviews in United States

Extremely frustrating, poor working conditions
Supply Chain (Former Employee) –  Millwaukie, ORMarch 30, 2016
The OECO site in Milwaukie Oregon was very frustrating to work at. No processes or procedures, senior leaders and directors change and are out the door every 3-6 months, limited resources and no prioritization of projects and objectives. Everyone is massively stressed out and leaders and stakeholders are hostile. Requests from engineering and sales are unreasonable which has led to significant supply chain problems. 30 plus people have been laid off or voluntarily left since beginning of 2016. Worst working conditions I've experienced in my 24 year professional career. Especially in operations and supply chain. Recommend do not work here unless a gluten for punishment.
Pros
Good pay
Cons
No work/life balance, draconian leadership, no recognition for contributions, hostile environment
Beware of Management
Quality Assurance Engineer (Former Employee) –  Rockmart, GAJune 3, 2016
Great co-workers. Good engineering work. Impressive floor workers. Most workers do their best. Work load is heavy. Good job satisfaction. Good challenges. Management is usually not qualified. Even senior management is poor. Frequent personnel changes. Frequent manager changes. Many good engineers have left. Management is often more concerned with keeping their job rather than doing the job right. I'm sad to report that. You could eliminate some managers and would never know the difference. The company has made more than its share of bad hires (i.e. of Directors...) due to quotas, or friendships....
Pros
Good challenges. Responsive work force.
Cons
Many upper and middle managers are not qualified to do their jobs
Good personal in all departments, easy to work with while doing my job.
Document Controller (Former Employee) –  Saginaw, MIFebruary 23, 2016
A typical day at work was full with documents to review and update/type as needed. After 2:00 p.m.I went to the Metallurgy Lab for the part file documents to be scanned to my drive for electronic placement into the designated part numbered folders for the engineers, clients, and trade compliance officer to view, print, and/or fax.

I learned how procedures are to be written, what the Metallurgy lab was, how when parts were made which ones needed to be forwarded to the Trade Compliance officer. This is just a little of what was learned in the time I worked for the company.

The Management personnal always had a lot of work to do and didn't hesitate to ask for my help with their different projects from time to time. I also liked meeting people from different cultures around the globe as they came into the plant for one reason or another.

I got along with everyone I worked with on the factory floor and the 18 different Department Managers I met with from time to time.

The hardest part of my job was chasing down the writers of the procedures, forms, and work instructions when finished with the scrubbing of the newly written or re-written documents for errors then re-typing for approval. I either had to leave and come back for the document at a later time or wait for a rewrite to be done, make the changes then return them for signatures again.

The most enjoyable part of my job was I was constantly learning something new about what Meggitt/Thompson Aerospace & Defense did, how they did it and being a world wide business, I learned about ITAR, Trade Complience, FAA
  more... complience, and what the DOD required for making of parts for their military watercraft or planes. Always something new and interesting to be learned.  less
Pros
Good working conditions, easy to follow proceedures, work instructions and forms to be filled out.
Cons
Sometimes the communications between departments is not clear on what is needed.
Don't recommend
Senior Mechanical Engineer (Former Employee) –  Irvine, CaliforniaFebruary 15, 2015
This (Irvine location off Muirlands) just isn't the place to go to as a senior level engineer or above. Prepare to be severely micro-managed upon joining and then ostracized for not working independently enough. Expect to be abused and bullied by engineering management as a tool for their advancement and personal agendas. Turnover has been high among senior level individuals due to this recently. Expect long hours and subpar pay raises and advancements regardless of your actual performance. Expect to carry on the work of others who have learned to work the system to their advantage and watch them receive the credit.
Pros
located in a nice area
Cons
management
Good product base and company history
Prototype Specialist (Former Employee) –  Milwaukie, ORMarch 17, 2016
The company has been around a while, and through all the various mergers with other companies and mixed product types, the overall atmosphere at the company is muddled and slightly hostile - way more noticeable than other companies I've worked for.
Great Benefits, Team Oriented Environment
Customer Service/Lead/Manager (Former Employee) –  McMinnville, ORMay 22, 2015
Customer Interfacing was a daily exercise, as well as lead team meetings daily and monthly. Report to management key indicators regarding order book status, customer notifications, and forecasting.
Enjoyed leading a small team of customer service representatives and interacting with outside sales team. The company was very much involved in individual success and offered many types of training.
Pros
Benefits, team oriented, company activities
Cons
Constant Leadership changes, overtime
Not organized
SYSTEMS ADMIN/HUMAN RESOURCES/PAYROLL (Former Employee) –  Rockmart, GAApril 11, 2016
Manage the daily workflow between orders and plant, process payroll and accounts recievable and payable. Process Purchase orders for company
Pros
little or no supervision, work at own pace
Cons
not much time off or breaks
Friendly company
Accounting Clerk (Former Employee) –  North Hollywood, CAMarch 13, 2016
I really enjoyed my job at Meggitt.
I was there for 18 years and had hoped to be there longer but unfortunately the company decided to out source our jobs so a few of us had to be let go.
I miss my job there. I had made many friends over the years.
Good Job
Accounting Clerk Sr. (Former Employee) –  Rockmart, GAApril 9, 2016
Good place to work at.
Co-workers are really great to work with.
Work hours are good and pay was good.
Management are good to work with you.
Good pay, work hours and benefits
Stock Clerk for Aerospace parts distributor (Former Employee) –  North Hollywood, Ca.October 8, 2015
I liked my work shift hours in the morning and my hourly pay.
We were able to work overtime Monday thru Saturday if we were available.
We had good medical and dental insurance.
Our 401K plan was great
Pros
Holiday days off with pay
Meggitt Aircraft Braking, Akron Ohio
Electrical Engineer (Current Employee) –  Akron,OhioJanuary 2, 2013
Meggitt as a whole is a good company. The facility in Akron is just a horrendous place to work. It is horribly mismanaged at the mid-level. They are set in there way, unwilling to change and adapt and force inefficient processes to be followed. They also love to promise customers unrealistic deadlines. Its always crunch time and things are always hitting the fan. Most employees have learned this and adapted with an attitude of apathy. There is no advancement internally, they prefer to hire from outside. In Akron, Ohio expected to be hired into a dead end job. A major overhaul is needed to bring this location to its full potential.

Company culture is non-existent. You come, work and leave. There are no company events or picnics. They do nothing for their employees other then provide them pay. In engineering, overtime is expected almost required (paid though). Also in engineering there is very little creativity or intellectual stimulation.

I've seen other Meggitt business units and they are good, but Akron is not.
Pros
paid overtime in engineering
Cons
horrid company culture and grotesquely mismanaged.
Stay away from McMinnville
Administration (Former Employee) –  McMinnville, ORJune 4, 2014
Quite simply the worst work experience I have ever had. Agree with previous reviewer regarding complete lack of ethics and integrity at this site. Supervisor was a command and control hypocrite who nurtured a culture of fear. There is no apparent interest in effective communication, cost control, or excellence. The offsite leadership lends itself to an environment with little oversight and accountability. Stay away from this place!
Pros
not much
Cons
poor management, toxic culture
All and all the attitude is good and people are willig to tolerate the bad and make the best of their jobs and make it home for them.
assembler (Current Employee) –  Milwaukie, Oregon 97222April 1, 2014
While doing my job I was being subjected to stray chemical vapors from other production lines and sensing a loss of breathing and headaches and nausea. No hoods for ventilation , respirators, or a way to contain the bad fumes for the workers. Long hours and poor scheduling by managers to get the product out.
Pros
bonus every quarter
Cons
heath benefits fair
Great if you like overtime.
Quality Tech (Former Employee) –  Milwaukie, OregonDecember 10, 2012
No job security. Can be fired at the drop of a hat. Push very hard to work all the overtime they can get. This is needed due to poor planning on their part to get product in the door on time. They can't keep good vendors due to lack of paying them on time. People working there is great. They all seem to maintain a positive attitude in spite of management.
Pros
will pay for schooling.
Cons
no time to take advantage of schooling, too busy working.
Bad reputation in McMinnville
Many Areas from molder to mid-level manager (Former Employee) –  Mcminnville, ORApril 13, 2013
Employees are not respected by management. Pay is ok but stress and bad politics are not worth it. There is an odd culture because of the mixture of UK and American philosophies. Questionable ethics and integrity of mid & upper managers. Environment is unhealthy with poor ventilation many different chemical. Do yourself a favor and avoid this place.
Pros
pay was ok
Cons
poorly managed sweatshop
Bad work environment
Machinist-Grinder (Former Employee) –  Saginaw, MIMay 9, 2013
I worked at Meggitt for about 6 years and this is not a good place to work. The management work force is worse that I have ever seen in the 30 years I have been employed. They can not schedule jobs correctly to insure on time delivery and they pressure the hourly workers to work beyond their means to compensate for their poor judgement. This is a union shop (UAW) and there is constant friction between the union and management which causes for a very stressful work environment. The company does not want to provide the proper tools to the hourly workers so as they can complete their jobs in a timely manner. The major of the machinery is so old and constantly breaking down, leaking oil all over, and they do not repeat on holding the tolerances required which results in defective parts and lots of scrap. It just makes you not want to go to work every day. Life is too short to have to go into work in a very unpleasant and stressful environment..
Pros
insurance is pretty good.
Cons
bad work environment.
I look forward to paydays
Reverse Build (Current Employee) –  Rockmart, GASeptember 13, 2014
The company would be better if they implemented a no family rule. Everyone that works in this particular location are related. The only way you advance in this company is if you know someone or if your family, nothing is based off what you know. The hardest part of the day is dealing with the people and management. I enjoy paydays!!!!!!!! The union is terrible, and upper management is completely clueless to the troubles that plaque their workers
Pros
other than payday
Cons
everything
Review onworkplace
floorworker (Former Employee) –  Rockmart, GAAugust 13, 2012
A typical day is going in at 6:30 am and starting to work on fuel atnks. I repair them. The hardest part of my job was to learn everything at a quick pace and adjusting to it.I've learned that no matter what it is that I have to accomplish I have to give my all and best effort.My co-workers are pretty nice; I try to get along with everyone.The management is very efficient and courteous. The part most enjoyable of my job is when i feel satisfied and proud of the work I accomplished.
Poor
floorworker (Current Employee) –  Rockmart, GAAugust 8, 2014
I have worked for this company for 7 years. The management from the top down to the area supervisors do not know how to run anything. I don't know how they have stayed in business this long. The working conditions are horrible. No air conditioning in the summer and freezing in the winter. Poor ventilation even though there are dangerous chemicals in the building. Old equipment and useless tools.
Pros
regular breaks, decent pay
Cons
no sick days
Never a day with out learning something new.
Trade Compliance Administrator (Current Employee) –  North Hollywood, CASeptember 17, 2012
The typical day involves communicating with all departments and providing service to inquiries and request. Management is alwys involved and looking for new ways to improve policy and production. Co-workers are dedicated. The hardest part of the job is telling myself to stop at the end of a business day. Helping individuals and building a team relationship.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Meggitt. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9