Meijer Employee Reviews in United States

Found 3,371 reviews matching the search
Was a great place at first
Softlines Team Member/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Dayton, OHMarch 5, 2016
Management favored only certain employees, even ones who would cuss at the customers and had bad attitudes. No switching departments without jumping through a billion hoops and managers to get there. Team member discounts were a joke. My main reason for leaving Meijer was because I was injured on the clock doing my job and even had 2 witnesses but yet the corporate still said that I had insufficient evidence to file a claim 3 weeks after I filed. Meijer called the ambulance and never gave me the workers comp paperwork at first I had to go back to get it. Insurance was the only good thing about this company. If not for it I would have had to pay the full hospital bill, all my doctors visits, and the ambulance service even though Meijer is supposed to pay it no matter what. I went back for 3 weeks 4 months after the injury and they put me back on truck in the backroom even though the doctor said no.
Pros
Insurance, pay raises based on time worked
Cons
Managment, Career growth, Teamwork, Everything else
Its retail
Receiving Clerk (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHMarch 15, 2016
Meijer overall is an OK company to work for, but once you get under the surface you discover more and more of their flaws as a company. They value themselves as a competitive and family orientated organization but took away part time health care and are no where near in other major departments stores when it comes to getting out there for the community or running advertisements. They demand that we take a health screening but then only offer fried chicken at he delis hot case. Major problems that are obvious to even the most basic new team member are overlooked by management and above. Retail has the highest overturn rate yet they reward their team members by topping out their pay once they get about $3 in raises. After you are topped out you get a standard $.25 each year IF it is negotiated that way with the union contract. Meijer needs to stop acting like their way is better because they are still privately own by their founding family and realize that this word is ever changing and worry more about the condition of its stores and the happiness of its workers rather than whether or not they have an app that can show you where things are in the store.
Productive and fun work place with ood benefits to fit all human needs.
Receiving Clerk (Former Employee) –  Woodhaven, MIMarch 8, 2016
A typical day at work is, 10 am until 630 pm or later or earlier.
I heave learned how to enjoy the little things in life or at a work place more than I use to. The management wasn't all that great because majority of the time they blames the receiving clerk associates for other things that employees in different department did. I did like 2 out of the 4 managers that were worth my time, money and my benefits.
Pros
Expereince was great, the food was good, and all of our lunches could be extended 15 mins.
Cons
Short breaks, point sytem and finger print system.
Short-term work place
Deli Clerk (Former Employee) –  Dublin, OHFebruary 2, 2016
For a typical day in the deli, it depends on which shift you want/get; for the morning you have to do 10 things in a span of about 30 min, which of course is impossible.For instance, the salad case might have half the salads expired and the rotisserie chicken have to be cooking beginning at 9, also the hot case has to be up at 10. For the evenings it is a little more easier but not by much, especially since the morning people have no time to do dishes. Management is kind of a joke cause the deli manager doesn't stay in deli unless he has to. Another thing is that the supermarket manager changes every 2 months or so, and that makes it harder for employees who have problems/complaints cause they don't know which manager to go to. Now when it comes to co-workers it will be like most places you will like some and hate others, and I am talking about the whole store not just the deli. I would say the hardest part about the job is just getting everything done on time.
Pros
Health benefits, Union
Cons
Good place to work if you can make it work for you
GROCERY CLERK (Current Employee) –  Rossford, OHJanuary 23, 2016
Retail has always been known as a fast-paced environment and this company is no different. It can be a fun, lucrative experience if you can find a way to make it work for you. Retail life can be ruthless and more so if you work an overnight shift. Raises are at set tiers, so there is no wondering if you'll get a raise. You get a pre-defined raise at certain hour thresholds. Some departments are paid more than others. All in all, not for the faint of heart. If you're easily stressed, retail in general may not be for you.
Pros
Paid holidays, some vacation time
Cons
Wonky scheduling, uneven management
Decent
Meijer deli (Former Employee) –  Howell, MIJanuary 25, 2016
Deli -

The typical day at work was help customers for 6-7 hours then clean up the department. The Clean up on average could last 1-4 hours depending on how much staff you have that day. If you are under staffed or someone calls off you can exspect overtime. Not half bad, as your pay goes up during overtime by 50% ish.

I learned a lot of life skills from this job and would recommend it too anyone looking to get a good grasp to learning people skills and team working effort.

I liked the management of the store. I always admired most of them.
Pros
Steady hours, cool co-workers
Cons
Not much benefits or room for advancement.
Not a great company
Retail Associate (Former Employee) –  Noblesville, INJanuary 21, 2016
From my experience, The management staff is so-so. One of my bosses picked people to give a rough time. Which is entirely my reason for quitting. He had come to me four times in one month over the same issue. I know for a fact that there were several other people in my area that wer not doing this task he had yelled at me about. The task is a simple task and required task for ALL grocery team members to do. I knew for a fact two or three others were not doing so, because they told me "I never do that". Overall they ask you to do too much and pay very poorly, and only offer benefits after you've been there for a full year.
Growing company with kind and supportive management and coworkers
Cashier/Service Desk (Former Employee) –  Fort Wayne, INDecember 3, 2015
A very open-minded company with supportive management who are willing to work with employees as far as scheduling, grievances, etc.--at least as far as the "lower management", ie team leaders. The upper management are much busier and less concerned about the day-to-day but still willing to lend an ear if necessary. The open-door policy is nice and makes an employee feel as though they are actually being listened to.
Pros
Paid breaks, discount on general merchandise, good work environment, competitive but still friendly
Cons
Some positions are "promotions" without pay raise, customer service-oriented to the point of being detrimental at times
What working there is like
Receiving Clerk/Greeter (Former Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIMarch 15, 2016
I started there in the receiving department, which I really liked, as you needed stamina to keep up with the job, at first the job was just pricing products that would be put out for sale on the floor. They then changed it to having receiving unload general merchandise trailers and grocery trailers, which is where I got the most exercise as we used a conveyer belt onto the trailer, and a person on trailer would put things on it, when it was out where we could touch it, we would take it off and put it on the skid, of the aisle it belonged in. I learned how to work as a part of a team, to get done by 6 pm, which was our out time, and if not done with the trailer we would have to stay until the trailer was done. I really liked my co-workers, they were all nice and easy to get along with. The hardest part of the job was when some people did not do their job and it made it so everyone would have to stay late, when people had families to go home to. Most enjoyable part was all the friends I made over the years, when I go into the store now to shop for food, I know most of the people working there.
Pros
Healthcare benefits, breaks and lunches, co-workers
Cons
No Union coverage for me when I was transferred to being a greeter.
Learning experience, humbling work environment
Module Selector (Former Employee) –  Lansing, MIDecember 10, 2015
A typical day as a module selector was difficult, no doubt. But this job had more to offer morally than it did contractually. The contract is entirely too strict and flawed. I learned that in most adult work environments, you have to earn your money. You don't get paid just to show up and slack the whole day. Management was very hands-on. As a laborer, they always had a microscope on you. My co-workers were the only thing I found vastly enjoyable in that work environment. All of us had something singular in common; we didn't like our jobs, so we were just there for the money. The hardest part of the job had to be staying within the confines of the contract. Everyone in management was too strict about the contract, and not lenient enough with morality. The most enjoyable part of the job was being efficient enough at what I did to have downtime to spend with friends for the last fifteen-thirty minutes every day.
Pros
If we outperformed expectation, we'd have a pizza party
Cons
Short breaks, expensive benefits, strenuous labor
Fun work environment, friendly co-workers and management staff.
Service Clerk (Current Employee) –  South Haven, MIMarch 8, 2016
Since I have been employed at Meijer, I have been trained as a cashier, service desk clerk and most importantly, in the cash room.
Pros
Benefits are available to full-time employees, employees receive two paid breaks (15 min./ea.), and a 1/2 hour lunch (unpaid).
Cons
Employees do not seem to stay with Meijer - (my observation) possibly due to the point system, or the low pay scale.
Meijer Grocery Clerk Review
GROCERY INVENTORY ANALYST (Current Employee) –  Mokena, ILOctober 20, 2015
Personally, I believe what you put into your time at Meijer is exactly what you will get out.I went to work everyday with a goal to help whatever department was in the worst condition. I offered to run different departments and in this act, I quickly became a right hand man for the managers. They trusted me to get the required jobs done by the end of my shift. They also began trusting me as an acting manager at times to close down the departments while we were short staffed. I really enjoy working here, the pay and benefits are fantastic, They were very flexible with my school schedule and this allowed me to work as often as I could for them without interfering with school.
Pros
Incentive bonus checks, consistent raises
Cons
Management takes good workers for granted
love them but needs work
Grocery Assistant (Former Employee) –  Rossford, OHOctober 29, 2015
I stocked at meijers for 9 months had one raise i ended at 11.45 an hour at full time. How ever I wee fired because I had my concealed carry weapon on me one day while I was shopping on my day off. I was suspended for 3 weeks without pay and told by my local management I would most likely keep my job because it was taking so long. But the end of my three weeks I was fired for having a weapon on the property and denied unemployment, after they kept me on the hook for 3 weeks. 10 discount is nice but only works on general merchandise which they charge 75% over store price.
Pros
co workers and customers
Cons
managers who dont work or help
Was a fast paced place to work with many oppertunities for advancement
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Jackson, MIFebruary 29, 2016
Enjoyed interacting with the public. Was able to wear many hats throughout the 31 years. Made hundreds of friends between co-workers and the customers themselves. I loved the challenge of getting what sometimes seemed like the impossible done.
Pros
Benifits and wages
Cons
Never getting a weekend off
Fun working place when interacting with customers
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Charter Township of Clinton, MIFebruary 28, 2016
I learned that company policy is not good management, breaks and lunches was always late, never enough cashiers on hand bad turnover, bad compensation..
Pros
overtime
Cons
late lunches and late breaks, early start shifts
Iga
Loader (Former Employee) –  Tipp City, OHFebruary 18, 2016
This place is an okay place, you start out making minimum wage. you rarely get raises and when you do its less than 30 cents. Its just a job for when you're in high school.
Pros
Nice high school work
Cons
Pay, Benifits, Managment
I met a variety of different people daily.
Service Coordinator/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Ludington, MIMarch 7, 2016
I was able to advance quickly within the company, but was not able to earn full time while working under a union. I was working full time hours, but still received state benefits.
Dead end, low paying job, but easy to work at.
Produce Clerk (Current Employee) –  Woodhaven, MIJanuary 21, 2016
The tasks are easy not too physically demanding and anyone can get a grasp of the mental aspect of the work. Unfortunately, there is not real movement or compensation to be had here.
Pros
Easy, Low-Key
Cons
Bad pay, limited advancement, mostly part-time
Decent place to work but not a life long career for most
Customer Service Retail Worker (Current Employee) –  Lexington, KYSeptember 21, 2015
The work itself is easy but you are expected to do a wide range of additional tasks to your specific job. If those additional tasks stop you from finishing your specific job you get in trouble. The breaks and lunches are okay and the medical benefits exist but are not good. Management gets worse the further up the chain you go. The corporate office does not understand how the stores really work or operate. All in all its not a bad place to work if you are a teenager or college student and the pay is good enough that at full time you can manage to squeeze out a living but its not a place to work for your life long career.
It's a big box retailer...
Cashier/Gas Station Attendant (Former Employee) –  Greenwood, INMarch 7, 2016
Just like any other retailer. Pay isn't much. Sometimes hours are not much either. No real benefits. Supervisors and manager tent to tow the company line with no real regard for reality.