The Melita Group provides comprehensive HR and benefits consulting services to clients of all sizes. We are currently searching for a Director of Education to fill the following opportunity for one of our clients.
Our client, the Youth Science Institute (YSI), an equal opportunity, non-profit employer, is seeking a Director of Education to join our team. YSI’s mission is to inspire enthusiasm for science and a love of learning. YSI is a nonprofit Silicon Valley leader in hands-on science education. We teach science to 30,000 pre-school through 8th grade students annually. YSI school programs, family weekend programs, community events and summer camps develop the critical thinking skills necessary for inspiring imagination and academic success.
The Director of Education is a key leadership position at YSI reporting directly to the Executive Director. It is a full-time, exempt position and offers competitive benefits. The Education Director is responsible for the overall strategic vision, management, and integration of school programs, nature center and animal programs, summer camps, exhibitions and events.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Develop and execute a strategic education plan to support YSI’s mission to inspire enthusiasm for science and a love of learning.
- Plan and direct programs to support an informal education community (pre-school groups through grade-8) by developing experiential and inquiry-based, standards-based science curriculum while ensuring engaging content and delivery.
- Oversee all annual programs such as the Wildlife Festival, Insect Fair, school and group activities, and the summer science camp program.
- Engage and manage a dynamic, flexible workforce, and ensure the proper education staff is in place to run all weekday and weekend programs.
- Collaborate with internal staff and third party to develop and implement an analytical framework with metrics and processes for evaluating the impact of YSI’s educational programming. Analyze results and make appropriate program changes to improve.
- Design and deliver interactive hands-on science programs, events and exhibits at YSI facilities and in the community. Ensure new and rotating exhibits are available for the public on a regular basis.
- Hire and manage seasonal staff for summer programs.
- Bachelor’s degree in science, environmental studies, education, engineering or related field. Master’s degree strongly preferred.
- Minimum of 10-12 years of overall experience
- Minimum of 5 years experience managing staff of 20+, including hiring, reviewing performance, training and terminating.
- Knowledge of Next Generation Science Standards (NGSS).
- Interest in technology and the desire to integrate technology into existing and new programs, events, and exhibits.
- A sincere interest in children, education, science, nature and animals.
- Ability to influence staff and interact with co-workers and the public in a positive, professional manner; ability to work with people of diverse backgrounds and circumstances.
- Excellent organizational skills.
- Ability to adapt and be flexible as priorities shift.
- Able to travel locally between the 3 YSI locations in Alum Rock, Vasona and Sanborn Parks.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to do the following:
- Sit or stand for prolonged periods.
- Perform some repetitive motion activities.
- Lift up to 20 pounds.
*Local applicants only please; relocation is not available for this position
To apply for this position, please submit a cover letter with salary expectations and resume to http://hire.jobvite.com/j/?cj=osdyXfwU&s=Indeed_(Sponsored)
Indeed - 19 months ago
The Melita Group provides comprehensive HR and benefits consulting services to clients of all sizes.