Mellow Mushroom Employee Reviews in United States

Fast paced environment with too much negativity
Kitchen Staff (Current Employee) –  Tampa, FLAugust 23, 2016
I work in the kitchen. Making food is not necessarily the most difficult thing, but when no one around you will stop chatting, its hard to stay focused. I hear "I dont get paid to do that," too many times. Co-Workers often complain when guests show up 30 minutes until we close. Yes, it can be inconvenient, but the guests still need to be treated properly. Co-workers have very poor anger management and have no concept of how loud they are being. In an open kitchen, the dining room can hear everything.
I have tried to move up to the front of house multiple times, being told "i just dont have the schedule space for you right now. but dont worry! when it opens up, i've got you. you would do well!" There were 5 new hires in the front of house in the next couple months after that.

The best part is that my manager is usually willing to work with my schedule if an issue pops up. A lot of the people are really cool when its slow, but that doesnt mean they have a good work ethic. I'm always having to clean up after people when they slack off.
Its like highschool all over again.
Pros
Management is mostly laid back
Cons
It's very "clicky"
an ok job i enjoyed
Waitress/Hostess (Former Employee) –  South Miami, FLAugust 22, 2016
I really liked working here. The hours were good and I got along very well with all my co workers. A typical day at work was almost barely stressful and fairly easy going. The hardest part about this job was being hurried to get orders out, I would get mixed up every once in a while. However, I still enjoyed it. Management was not the best. My manager was reckless and would make countless mistakes and would blame the waiters for them to the owners.The most enjoyable part of this job was the dynamic the workers had with each other, good communication and a good amount of respect.
Pros
flexible schedule, fair pay
Cons
management
Hostess (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAAugust 21, 2016
I literally had no complaints about the establishment itself. My managers were awesome, easy-going and understanding. My co-workers were always pretty chipper, the morale was always upbeat and fun. I loved that we could wear pretty much anything we wanted. The only thing I disliked was that it was hard to move up. They were almost always overstaffed so we didn't really get a lot of shifts.
Fast, fun and friendly
Hostess/Server (Former Employee) –  Enterprise, ALAugust 15, 2016
Working at mellow was a great experience. started as a hostess then became a server. I loved my managers and other employees.
Pros
employee discount, trying new pizzas
laid back
Dishwasher (Former Employee) –  Charleston, SCAugust 13, 2016
It was a laid back pizza joint my co worker where good people no complaints I didn't learn much for I wasn't there that long
Decent place but terrible management
Server (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLAugust 6, 2016
Easy menu to learn, great food, relaxing atmosphere. Management had no idea what they were doing though. The people I worked with were nice and helpful. I learned how to memorize menu ingredients very efficiently. I didn't like that the kitchen staff was undertrained and didn't care about burnt food or slow cook times. I did enjoy the food.
Productive work place
Kitchen Staff (Former Employee) –  Boone, NCJuly 30, 2016
Made and expedited products on our menu as efficiently as possible. Basic kitchen duties including cleaning and closing the store.
Fun place to work and easy going enviroment
Line Cook (Former Employee) –  Fayetteville, NCJuly 23, 2016
I learned to work in a fast pace kitchen I learned to stand for a long period of time with no breaks. The co workers was fun to work with at times. some of the Management team was not cool but okay to deal with from time to time.
Loved my fellow servers!
Server (Former Employee) –  LakelandJuly 13, 2016
The food at this restaurant is amazing and completely fresh! I loved everyone I worked with and had a great time getting to know everyone while opening up such an exciting new restaurant. Management was not the best in regards to paying attention to basic employee needs. Mellow Mushroom could definitely use more management. Also unideal scheduling.
terible place to work for
Server (Former Employee) –  Chattanooga, TNJuly 6, 2016
this place was the worst company I've worked for. half the workers come in messed up on some type of drug including the management. we were cussed out multiple times in front of guest and were made to feel like terrible right when you walked thru the doors.
Colorful and fun work environment
Line cook (Former Employee) –  Mt. Dora, FLJuly 3, 2016
Working with Mellow was a wonderful experience full of bright faces that help you keep going even when it's tough. A typical day at work started with pulling thaw and helping the line as needed, then cooking food to order, cleaning as needed, and cleaning up at the end of the night. Management would help out when needed and would always be open to hear out employee concerns. Coworkers were always helpful and caring.
very busy college town
Shift Lead (Former Employee) –  Athens, GAJune 17, 2016
management was lackadaisical and young. Very quick churn for workers in front of the house and back of the house. Wouldn't work here again.
Pros
environment
Cons
Very busy college town
Productive workplace
Line cook/ Prep cook (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCJune 11, 2016
I learned the keys to making a good pizza. A typical day at work, busy or not, was always fun. They welcome you with open arms and make you feel at home. Management was great. The hardest parts of the job were the hours. Since it was usually busy, it was harder to learn a lot in a small amount of time. The most enjoyable parts were how they made each person, new or old, comfortable . Also that mess-ups weren't the end of the world.
Pros
great learning experience
Cons
employee discount was too small
great fun atmosphere, competitive work
To-go clerk/Host (Former Employee) –  Johnson City, TNJune 8, 2016
I worked as a To-go/Host and that was my first real time working with the public and i loved it. Management was great the helped everyone. I would have to say that the hardest part of the job was on dollar slice night. The amount of people that would show up was jaw dropping.
Its a fun place to work
Cook (Current Employee) –  Newport News, VAMay 25, 2016
The typical work day can either be slow or steady, i've learned how to master all 3 stations there, the management is okay, my co-workers all work hard, hardest part of the day is not knowing what kind of day we will have, the most enjoyable part of the job is making the customers happy
Mellow place to work, with coworkers that feels like fam.
Server (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZMay 24, 2016
This place really felt like a family to me. I was always tested on my abilities to learn more and more. Even when you think youve mastered something, they switch you possitions to always keep you on your toes.
Easy Work, But Tumultuous Environment
Shift Leader/Server (Current Employee) –  Macon, GAMay 23, 2016
I've worked at two very different MM locations, but here are the similarities. Being a server here is easy, the place is so laid back, you can pretty much do what you want. However, your co-workers are typically young and full of drama, and management is not much better. Overall, MM is only good as an in-between job or a job while you are in school, since they are flexible. However, the attitudes will take a toll on you and you will want to get out asap. Only accept this job while you are still looking for another job!
Helped Pay for College
General Manager (Current Employee) –  Kennesaw, GAMay 21, 2016
Mellow is as it sounds. An atmosphere that's typically very mellow and relaxed. It is not a very difficult job. Work was typically very easy, however, the pay is low.

Management is in charge of nearly everything and are overwhelmingly underpaid for that service. Being a GM and on call 24/7 made it difficult to balance out working and being in school.
Pros
Fun Enviornment
Cons
Low, LOW pay
good workplace fun very productive and exciting
Busser (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLMay 17, 2016
very intresting and co-wokers are helpfull. management was good hardest part was cleaning and most intresting and enjoyable part interacting with new people
Pros
free lunch
Cons
not too many breaks
Good experience
Waitress (Former Employee) –  Lafayette, LAMay 11, 2016
This job offered me genuinely good and pleasant people to spend time with. This job helped me improve my ability to communicate with others and was a good experience to have during that time of my life.

2.8