Melmark Employee Reviews

Excellent Organization
Assistant Director - Adult Residential Programs (Former Employee) –  Berwyn, PASeptember 28, 2016
one of the best places to work. Excellent company and lots of benefits for employees. pleasant and professional Culture and environment
Very proud of the work done at Melmark
ABA Counselor (Current Employee) –  Berwyn, PAMay 3, 2016
The recent leadership changes have resulted in many positive outcomes. Although it did not affect me directly, I feel good knowing that the lowest wage was raised to $12/hr which is hard to find in other similar agencies. Other reviews are kinda offensive as far as how they speak of the children. The residents and students are not dangerous. They have needs that are met by myself and my talented co-workers. There are many opportunities for training and we are all taught how to keep ourselves safe. The jobs may not be right for everyone but it is really rewarding to work with the residents.
Pros
$1 lunches, opportunities for advancement, tuition programs
Cons
essential staff must report during snow but it is a fulltime job- not fee for service!
MelMark
Lead Behavior Tech (Current Employee) –  Berwyn, PANovember 13, 2016
facility demonstrates team work within the employees. Also they do what they can to help the students becomes as independents as possible. staff is responsible for the level of supervision over the client and run client goals according to the behavioral support plan of the client. you will have your good and bad days but Multi-tasking and teamwork are the things I learned. Co-workers are supportive and very helpful in time of client challenging behavior. the hardest part of the job is de-escalating a client from crisis to normality. If you love working with individuals with intellectual disabilities MelMark is good start.
Highly Dangerous/Toxic management
ABA Counselor (Former Employee) –  MassachusettsJune 6, 2016
The residence is a highly dangerous place to work extremely aggressive students, numerous staff injuries, 14 hour shifts with no lunch breaks, harassing staff to come in on their day off due to MASSIVE shortages in staff and massive staff turn over. Staff are unable to to take vacation time as the houses are so short staffed, management is hostile and extremely dismissive. Severe staff injuries have occurred with little to no sympathy from management. A girl I worked with was out injured from work, management called her primary care physician looking for her personal records, he of course declined and rang her to alert her. Other staff have been out on light duty (resigned to office work), and told to return to work as they where so short staffed. There is a reason this place is giving a bonus
Pros
Great training
Cons
Highly dangerous environment/toxic management
Melmark provides lots of opportunities for staff development
Applied Behavioral Analysts-Counselor (Current Employee) –  Berwyn, PAAugust 23, 2016
A typical day at work is one that have a client assign to a staff on a one-to-one basis. The staff is responsible for the level of supervision over that client and run client goals according to the behavioral support plan of the client. Multi-tasking and teamwork are the things I learned. Co-workers are supportive and very helpful in time of client challenging behavior. the hardest part of the job is de-escalating a client from crisis to normality. This is something that must be done with respect for the dignity of the client. The most enjoyable part of the job is seeing the client happily responding to goals and activities being demanded by staff.
Pros
Melmark incorperates professionalism and passion in her services to the individual served
Great Work place
Resident Support Specialist (Current Employee) –  Berwyn, PADecember 19, 2016
Its a good starting job. Great teamwork throughout this job. I've learned great supervisor skills with Melmark, The RTF program in Melmark is one great way to get experience for ABA based applicants.
Vocational workshop teacher
VOCATIONAL WORKSHOP TEACHER (Former Employee) –  Berwyn, PADecember 19, 2016
Great place to work if you really need employment to make ends meet. Great experience a wonderful way to be introduced to the mental health field. Very nice holiday parties and they make their employees feel wanted.
Dedication does not go far
Primary Care Nurse (Former Employee) –  Berwyn, PAAugust 22, 2014
I spent a decade with this company and worked in many positions due to advancement. I was very successful and left on good terms. Pay is dismal. Management culture is reprimand first ask questions later. (I was in management for a long time) If your heart and soul is not completely in this company you are sub par. Lower management run around like chickens afraid of any possible mistakes they or their staff will make. "just make it look good on paper" They like to reorganize to give you a new position. Double your responsibilities and cut 25% of your pay. Give you a raise then increase you portion of the health care costs.
Pros
discounted meals, VERY diverse cultures
Cons
Always looking to assign blame
Pay is great but the communication is horrible
Residential Aide (Former Employee) –  Berwyn, PASeptember 3, 2016
I loved working for Melmark but when my 90 days was up they didn't allow me to to switch from residential to day program which was clearly allowed from reading their handbook
Love to help IDD population needed
IDD/MH Assistant Workshop Instructor (Former Employee) –  Berwyn, PAJuly 22, 2016
This job is one that can be taxing on your body and emotions but if you keep the perspective of how you are contributing to those who need significant help, you will succeed and be rewarded.
One of the most rewarding careers anyone could ever ask for!
Recruiter - Human Resources (Current Employee) –  Berwyn, PAOctober 25, 2013
I have worked as the Recruiter in Melmark's Human Resources Department for close to two years; from start of my shift to finish, there has yet to be a day that I left Melmark without a smile on my face. While building friendships with staff from all of our varied programs is amazing, the true reward of working at Melmark is the extraordinary interactions with the individuals that we serve.

To anyone who has a genuine interest in making a difference in the lives of children and adults with intellectual disabilities, I strongly encourage you to consider a career at Melmark!
Pros
• Rewarding career opportunities, friendly work environment, promote from within, generous tuition reimbursement benefits, comprehensive benefit program, $1 lunches.
Applied Behavior Analysis Counselor
ABA counselor (Former Employee) –  Berwyn, PANovember 27, 2015
Do not work for this company as a resident aide or aba counselor. Even though you are tought extensive ways to restrain and redirect students it does not work. Very dangerous place to work. This was the worst job I have ever had. I got hurt on the first day in the classroom and was out on workman's comp for a year and resigned due to a injuries by a student. The students are very aggressive and dangerous!!!!! Employees are not helpful to new staff and do a lot of gossiping with management.
Pros
Extensive Training on Behaviour
Cons
Dangerous and aggressive students. BeWare!!!!!
Residential living
Residential Applied Behavior Analysis Counselor (Former Employee) –  Berwyn, PAJanuary 25, 2016
Melmark is a non profit organization that primarily deal with autistic and other intellectual and development disorders. The management staff and those higher up do not care much about the well being of the employees. Clients often attack staff and even if injuries are sustained they expect you to return to work under "limited conditions".
Okay place to work for first job
ABA Counselor (Current Employee) –  Berwyn, PAAugust 2, 2013
When you first start working here you will like it because the pay isn't bad until you realize what comes along with the job.
Poor management and unorganized. Management doesn't care about anything but money. They don't care for the individuals they serve or their staff.
Watch out because you can get written up or even fired for anything.
With this job I feel like its not all about work ethic but favoritism if a supervisor likes you your safe but if not make sure you don't ever mess up cause you may it may cause your job.
This job is not promise you can get employee of the month one day and get fired the next.
Pros
Pay rate, individuals you serve
Cons
Unorganized, short staff
Dedicated and Caring work place
Healthcare Specialist (Current Employee) –  Berwyn, PAMarch 14, 2016
Very structured facility, that demonstrates great leadership skills and team worker within the employees. Also they do what they can to help the students becomes as independents as possible. The hardest part he watching one of the individuals severe behaviors because they don't mean any harm but sometimes the outcome can be very dangerous. However you grow to love the students and gain a better understanding of each of them.
Great place to work and grow if you are like by the managers.
Applied Behaviors Analysis Counselor / Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Berwyn, PAOctober 4, 2014
It use to be a great place to work, the clients are the reasons why many of the worker would wake up everyday to go to work. The management did not care much about the staff. They would terminate your employment for any reasons. You have to be part of a particular cycle in order to get a promotion. Great worker were past on for promotion because they were not part of a class group.
Helping others have a fulfilling life, self-rewarding
Applied Behavioral Analysis Counselor (Current Employee) –  Berwyn, PAMarch 28, 2013
At melmark i work 2nd shift from 3-11pm/40 hours a week with a double shift on Sunday. I work with individuals with mental disabilities using applied behavioral analysis. I collect data both clinically and academically on these individuals in hopes of improvement behaviorally and in basic fine motor and academic skills. I am certified within the company to administer medication to the residents. I also am responsible for case management work which requires entering the data into the database, parent contact, and maintaining the overall well being of at least one of the residents. The management can be unprofessional at times, but there have been instances of good management skills and leadership. I enjoy working with my co-workers because everyone has great teamwork and communication skills. The hardest part of the job is dealing with the politics that go on within the company and dealing with challenging behaviors that often times lead to injury. The most enjoyable part of the job is simply building close bonds with the residents.
Pros
free food, company outings, residents, overtime
Cons
politics, strict rules
Good place for young adults to work out of college
Clinical Associate (Current Employee) –  Berwyn, PAJanuary 5, 2016
I learned that even though the job is hard, you will love every moment on it. Management is knowledgeable of all there have to do with autism and the job. Very great atmosphere.
Productive and Full of Experience
Applied Behavior Analysis Counselor (Former Employee) –  Berwyn, PAJuly 21, 2015
Not much room for advancement, great compensation and benefits package, supervisors pick favorites, very money hungry company. does not value employee opinion.
Great Place
Vocational Instructor/ Residential Aide (Former Employee) –  Berwyn, PANovember 13, 2012
I was there for four years. This company helped me grow alot. I started as a residential aide and became a supervisor in a short time. Beside personal feelings making alot of the choices in the company it is a great place to start your career.
Pros
advancement, family'staff, clients
Cons
management

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Melmark. Our community is ready to answer.