Melton Truck Lines Employee Reviews

Melton Is an unsafe company
Consultant (Former Employee) –  Tulsa OKNovember 21, 2014
I am aware that "Melton Truck Lines" has a right to be a safe company but at what cost? Melton's "back-up" beepers are waking drivers up in truck stops. We have the right to a good day or nights sleep. Drivers using back up beepers moving up and down trying to get into parking spaces are hindering our right to sleep. This makes us unsafe drivers do to a lack of sleep. I submit to Melton this information. When a Melton truck wakes up four drivers in the four spots next to the space, he is trying to occupy as much as 120 drivers per day per truck are upset with Melton. In an industry where good safe drivers are hard to find and getting much tougher to enlist this would to kill Melton recruiting efforts in five years. I have an excellent safety and on-time record and would never call Melton for a job after being woken up three times this month by their "back-up" beeper. I know other drivers feel the same as I do. 3. We all know that drivers take a lot of stuff out here. Companies expect us to get things done. Professional drivers go to great lengths to get good sleep. Displeasing a driver by "pounding on his door" or using a "back-up" beeper will upset an operator at the very least. I have seen trucks towed out of a truck stop because a new driver riled other drivers off. We all know there at least nine things a driver can do to a truck at a truck stop that will disable a truck from leaving that parking area. Sabotage that is expensive to fix and will hinder a driver from making his appointment on time. The last thing I would do if I owed a trucking company would be to put something  more... on my truck that makes other company mad.  less
Cons
their trucks annoy other drivers
Physical and Attention to Detail
Flatbed Driver (Current Employee) –  Tulsa OKAugust 31, 2015
While working there I was provide with excellent training my first week. Then, I was provided with a trainer for three weeks and then moved into my own truck. It was a intense and fast paced environmetn which I was okay with. I was happy with my job until I requested time home and was told that I could only take two of my five days I had banked home. When hired I was told for every week I was out was a day home I earned and I could take them all at once or I could take a couple of them at a time. I had to talk to my Driving Manager's boss in order to get home after being out for 6 weeks when I was told I was only going to be out 4 weeks at the maximum. They also tell you that you get all around mile but you are actually only getting miles zip code to zip code.

I feel that for a person starting out with a family and being over the road this position probably isn't for you. But, if you don't care about home time and mile pay then the company is overal great.
Pros
Great healthcare, superb terminals, Free hotel and bus ticket for orientation.
Cons
Fight for home time, zip code to zip code miles.
Long-haul flatbed carrier with six terminals in the Mid-South and Ohio
truck driver (Current Employee) –  Tulsa, OKJuly 17, 2012
The average driver stays on the road for 3-6 weeks running the lower 48 states. Trucks have a governor of 65 miles-per-hour. Company drivers are forced dispatched from 7a.m. to 4p.m., usually after emptying out. The fleet drivers there are typically of a higher quality workplace ethic. Experienced drivers try to share knowledge with newcomers. One of the most difficult parts of the job is tarping freight outdoors during extreme weather conditions. They hire drivers with 6+ months experience from all over the country but hubs are concentrated in Tx, Alabama, Oklahoma, OH.
Pros
newer equipment, knowledgeable mechanics and maintenance, health and wellness programs, 24-hr person on duty
Cons
home time program, out-of-touch office culture, no terminal in fla. or ga
Perfect Security for a job!
Driver (Current Employee) –  Dallas TxJanuary 30, 2013
It is what it is!
This company was a dream come true.
paid really well, People are friendly and understandable.
They treat you as they need you as a driver.
I went to a cupple of orientations looking for Job security and
I can say this is a great place!
Nothing like stevens transportation or Werner or anything else out there.
I enjoy working here home every two weeks for two days.
Allways having money and making allot.
This place is the place to be.
Worth all your time.
Come check it out, I wish i knew about meltons before
Pros
highest paid, you can take truck home, home every two weeks, 34-38 cents a mile
Cons
little physical. flat bed ect..
great company if you work hard the Melton way!
flatbed driver (Current Employee) –  Tulsa, OKMarch 15, 2015
I have been at Melton for 4 months I have zero issues with this company. I am a very hard worker who enjoys difficult tasks if you are not like me DO NOT WORK HERE. This company expects you to do your job the MELTON way if you can't do that this is not the right company for you. If you work hard you will make really really good money. 80% company paid benefits and one of the highest pay scales in the industry enough said...they will go the extra distance to get you home on time even if that means screwing someone else's miles so don't be mad if it happens to you...
Pros
miles miles miles 80% paid benefits
Cons
ryan floyd
hard working job, you will sweat
Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Tulsa, OKOctober 1, 2015
You will drive several miles a day to get that loads there on time. You will use all your driving skills to drive for this company.
You will strive to drive and secure your loads Legal and safe.
Electronic logs is a Must in all the trucks, and even though you may use a GPS you will still need to use a Map or two in order to get to your next destination safe and on time.
I've met several other good drivers with this company and I even mentored a couple of drivers out on the road.
The hardest thing about this job is tarping the loads...cause they come in all shapes and sizes.
The best part of the job was Home time with family and friends.
Very productive place to work
Flatbed OTR Driver (Former Employee) –  Tulsa, OKApril 6, 2015
Melton is a nice outfit to work for . I enjoyed my time there. I had a nice truck and they kept me moving. The draw back of course is they tarp 90 percent of their loads. I probably wouldn't have a problem with that except for they only gave me $40 to tarp them. I'm certain that the tarp job paid well over that but they decided not to give it to me and I don't think that was fair. The pay wasn't that great either. They micro manage you at Melton also. I will not be returning to Melton. Thanks for the memories!
Pros
Well maintained trucks
Cons
tarp 90 percent of the loads
Driver (Former Employee) –  Tulsa, OKMay 26, 2015
Melton is an awesome business for the most part. The equipment is very well maintained. The company seems to care about there drivers and change things accordingly. They have a great training program and continuously attempt to move forward with the economy. Pay is based on CPM , so amount of money made is based upon the ability to move. Most loads are in the southern parts of USA.
Pros
Great benefits, 401k, Medical / Dental, CPM increases, equiptment replacement.
Cons
CPM wage, Much sit and wait time.
I love this company and I would not want to work for another OTR company other than this one.
OTR Flatbed Driver (Current Employee) –  Tulsa, OKMay 12, 2015
A work day consists of strapping or chaining my load and also tarping. Driving up to 11 hours daily.
I learned how to do my job safely.
Hardest parts of the job were tarping and being away from home for so long.
The money and freedom are the mosy enjoyable parts of the job
Pros
Pay, treated well by my driver manager and all of management, Good equiptment
Cons
Being away from home for months at a time
Psychopath is First Challenge
Driver (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALDecember 24, 2015
Your first challenge will be to get past a psychopath who will do your orientation. It is a roll of the dice whether you will be targeted by this goon and sent home, or whether you will go on to become a driver. My advice is don't waste your time and money, find a company that wants you as a driver without risk of being eliminated because you don't laugh at some jerk's jokes!
Pros
Not many - most company drivers quit.
Cons
People running the company think you owe them.
check load securment and drive from shipper to receiver.
Over the Road Driver (Former Employee) –  Tulsa, OKOctober 18, 2015
although the company has a high pay scale they dont give miles to make the money promised. when i was recruited i was promised all kinds of miles. when i started i was given all the miles i was promised after i was there for a couple months i was dropped down to about 1200-1500 miles.and was told that it was just because freight was slow, but when i spoke to other new drivers they were getting 2200+ a week
Well run privately owned company.
Regional Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Tulsa, OKAugust 10, 2014
I worked several different regions with this company. Southeast ( MS LA), Western Region ( Western 11 states)

One of the top rated companies in their field. Excellent management, best work tools available.

Lots of travel involved, but met new people/customers every week.
Pros
good working conditions and great sales staff, inside and out.
Cons
none.
be careful choosing this company
driver (Former Employee) –  ohio/arkansasSeptember 19, 2014
These people do not care about you or your family.Lies lies lies,thieves.If you quit melton they whip up some technical bs claiming you owe them money.The worst truck company I've worked for.I will not recommend anyone to work for Melton.Stay away from Melton
Pros
if you want the miles they got it
Cons
they don't care about the drivers
Great Company
Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Tulsa, OKApril 23, 2015
Driving for Melton is just like most driving jobs. You spend a lot of time away from home, but you get to see and visit a lot of different places.
Melton really cares about their employees and their equipment.
Pay and benefits are decent.
Hardest part is having to tarp almost every load. Tarp pay could be better.
Pros
Decent pay and benefits
Cons
Time away from home. Excessive tarping
A good company
Flatbed Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Tulsa, OKOctober 21, 2014
Its a good place to work if you don't mind staying out. I stayed out between 8 and 10 weeks at a time. Lots of micromanagement. They might as well just have management ride in the truck with you. Pay was great, but wasn't home enough to be able to enjoy it.
Good paying job as long as you're willing to work
Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Tulsa, OKJuly 23, 2014
I can honestly say I had very little problems with this job. In fact the only reason I left is because I needed to be home on a more regular basis. The work was consistent and the pay was good. I would highly recommend this employer to anyone who is willing to put in the hard work.
They sure pay the top in the industry but also give you the less miles in the industry
Otr flatbed (Former Employee) –  Tulsa okMay 6, 2015
Was treated horrible since day one. But what I really didn't like was sitting all the time didn't really make any money. I love flatbed been doing it all my life but there is way better companies out there.
Pros
Cons
Driver managers
Overall good company
Driver (Former Employee) –  Tulsa, OKApril 25, 2015
It was a good experience got the opportunity to see most of the united states, the people at the office and the drivers i got the pleasure of meeting were great.
Pros
Very likable people all round good company.
Cons
have to spend a lot of time away from home and live in a 3 x 6 truck cab
Great company for otr job seekers
Truck Driver (Current Employee) –  Tulsa, OKSeptember 23, 2012
Flat bed jobs are hard work but the work is rewarding. Its an honest living . Its not the cleanest tho. The tarps are big heavy and most of the time very dirty.
Pros
new equipment, still ran by the original company buyer
Cons
no home time
Excellent company to work for with excellent benefits
Commercial Class-A Hazmat OTR Driver (Former Employee) –  Tulsa, OklahomaSeptember 6, 2013
The most excellent company to work for as flat-bed operator. I offer the following advice to new drivers: “Take your time doing this job, pay attention to the details.”-
Pros
travel and good pay
Cons
away from home for too long