Meltwater Group Employee Reviews

great culture
Managing Director (Current Employee) –  New York, NYMay 5, 2015
fun office culture;
a lot of changes because it's a start up trying to figure out what works;
needs better management training;
Fun, dynamic environment with lots of hands-on experience
Account Manager (Current Employee) –  New YorkOctober 9, 2013
A typical day of work consists of answering client requests via email and phone calls; consulting on media monitoring and social media strategies, as well as press release pitching and distribution, and researching appropriate journalists to reach out to; negotiating contract renewals; managing team members; brainstorming ways to bring more value to clients, as well as bring back clients that cancelled within a 90 day window; preparing forecasts and reports for management.

Everything I know about business, I've learned thanks to Meltwater. The hands-on experience has been phenomenal, from managing client expectations in a respectful and thoughtful way, to onboarding new clients, setting up their accounts from scratch, providing insights about different industry trends so as to improve their communications and marketing strategies, to negotiating short and long-term contracts with VPs and CEOs. I've also learned how to manage different personalities within my teams and exceed results, both personal and on a team level.

At Meltwater, management is extremely accessible and open to feedback. Most managers are also pretty good at implementing the latter, and they also give great suggestions for one's own personal growth. I've had a few issues with Managing Directors that prefer a micro-managing style, to which I don't respond well. Otherwise, I've learned a lot. My co-workers are the main reason why I enjoy going to work each day! We have a great culture, very hard-working yet fun.

The hardest part of my job is dealing with constant product issues (as often happens with
  more... Internet-based softwares) and a slow response from our tech team, which then leads to many client frustrations.

The most enjoyable part of my job are the people and their openness and willingness to help.
Pros
Fun and dynamic environment, hands on learning experiences, accessible management
Cons
Work-life balance is not great, compensation is a bit low for the amount of work, our internal metrics change often
Good for Sales people, Bad for anyone else
Sales Consultant (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 15, 2013
As a "sales consultant" you reach out to businesses over the phone to try and showcase whichever Meltwater product you work on. From there you try to sell them the SaaS.

You will need to find your own leads and control the whole sales process pretty much by yourself.

You do have a fair amount of help in the beginning but it doesn't get much easier as time goes on.

The good thing is that everyone around you is in the same boat so you get to be close to your coworkers.

There is a $48 K base pay on top of which you get commission and bonus depending on how much you sell, how much your team sells, etc. If you are good/interested in sales, this is a good place for you.

This is mainly phone sales so if you are not interested in making the next sale regardless of whether you need to make 100 phones calls over the next 2 hours, then this is NOT the company for you.
Pros
fun work environment, comradeship with your coworkers, smart/ambitious coworkers, pay structure that rewards results
Cons
long hours, own lead gen, very "sales-y", little job security
Fun work place, good people
Media Sales Consultant (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJuly 3, 2012
This is a job for phone professionals. All work is done on the phone from cold call to close.
Pros
great work environment, good people, good product
Cons
all work is done via telephone