Melwood Employee Reviews in United States

the job is good but the people are horrible
floater (Current Employee) –  Upper Marlboro, MDJanuary 4, 2016
Im the type of person that type of person that keeps to himself because i dont like to be in an area with bad negativity. The job is easy and you'll get use to it in a week or so but you might have bad days and good days depending on whats happen im at the FBI site and i consider this to be the worst site to be honest.
Pros
good pay, work is steady and manageable, good hours
Cons
coworkers will tell on you for the dumbest reasons, bad communication, favoritism, bad management
Very Productive and Fun place to work
Development Coach (Current Employee) –  Upper Marlboro, MDMay 28, 2015
A typical day at work is engeging clinet in meaningful activities, learn alot from client about behavioral interventions, management are very supportive in decision making as long as is leading to company goasl and values. Very respectfully co-workers and great team, hardest part of the job is when you have gone above and beyond to help the client but they dont understand while they need to be protect form any danger or harm, the most enjoyable part of the job is watching the client complete a simple activities such as tissue paper art.
Pros
Direct Support Professional, free T-shirt
Cons
No breaks, No pay raise
No Respect
Slave (Current Employee) –  PG County, MDApril 20, 2016
This organization values their system more than the employees. The organization like many is all about the 'haves" and "have nots", lack of career advancement, lack of compensation, morale is low, but the VP's & CEO, make well over $100,000 while the people who are really in the field doing the dirty work are living below the poverty line. This 'non-profit" organization needs to be investigated and the state provided funds should be allocated properly.
Very great place to work if you like to help people
Community Support Assistant (Former Employee) –  Upper Marlboro, MDOctober 30, 2015
I learned a lot about working with people who have developmental disabilities. You have to have a lot of patience and always pay close attention.
Cons
Not much room for advancement
productive nice
Grounds Maintence laborer (Former Employee) –  Upper Marlboro, MDMay 24, 2016
i loved the staff and learning alot. i learned everything in landscaping. u get to meet the crew, the staff works closely with u.
Never a dull moment
Lead Worker (Current Employee) –  Upper Marlboro, MDOctober 16, 2015
A typical day at Melwood as a Lead Worker is very ongoing. Making sure that you check in with your crew making sure that everything is running smooth as far as having all materials or equipment that is needed on a day to day basis, also making sure that everyone is on task and all duties of the day are met. I have learned alot working with Melwood such as having more patience which is required when dealing with individuals who has disabilities.
Pros
Long lunch breaks
One Day
Contributor (Former Employee) –  Main OfficeNovember 13, 2014
Melwood has the typical issues that every nonprofit organization has however the culture of the organization is changing. The new focus is not on its employees but on the bottom line and people are expendable. The new management doesn't care about the well being of the staff that support the individuals and at the end of the day what you do doesn't matter. I was very sad to leave this organization and I wish I could have stayed. But well being is more important than the sacrifice of being made to feel worthless by people who are supposed to help you grow and be something better.
Pros
the ability to help others
Cons
uncaring culture
Cvs
Retention Counselor (Current Employee) –  Upper Marlboro, MDDecember 9, 2015
The job is a good "starter job" for the younger crowd. The hours were the hardest part with the late shifts. The environment was overall enjoyable.
Work place is ok work not hard.
CUSTODIAN (Current Employee) –  Greenbelt, MDJuly 27, 2012
I think my job is easy but would like to make more money. I do cleaning also i pull trash. I learned to be on time and not to miss work goes a long way. Not to judge people we all make mistakes. Just because someone makes more money you dont mean they better. Management is not great but no complaints. Co workers are very funny so many diffrent characters it like a movie. Hardest part of job is cleaning for adults that do very nasty things. Best part of day is end of day or pay day.
Pros
good benefits
Cons
short lunches no room for growth

Comment – August 17, 2012

Oh yes that is so true about that! LOL I sometimes don't know why how some adults can be so darn nasty!

Not a good company to work for.
Manager (Former Employee) –  Fort Meade, MDJune 10, 2014
The working personnel at Melwood are great, The management needs a lot of help on how to deal with personnel and USG contracts. Poor support from the corporate office.
Pros
salary and benefits ok.
Cons
no raises, no bonuses, spotty h/r support
Unorganized
Custodian (Former Employee) –  Washington DCJune 1, 2015
Management completely dropped the ball on certain areas and tasks

Non-Attentive to consumers needs
Not Consumer friendly
Wouldn't return with Agency
Unsatisfied with Customer Service Staff
a different experience for me but i like it
Transportation Van Aide (Current Employee) –  Upper Marlboro, MDApril 10, 2015
Melwood is a great place to work. The people are friendly and very helpful. Its a great place to start out if you have been out of work for a while.
Pros
advancement with the company
Truly a Great Place to Work!!
Employment Specialist (Former Employee) –  Upper Marlboro, MDJune 27, 2012
I really enjoyed working with the people on the Melwood Campus. Everyone was supportive and friendly and truly enjoyed working for Melwood. Unfortunately the salary offered didn't meet my personal needs. But if salary weren't an issue, I would definitely work there again.
Pros
great staff and management
Cons
low salary

Comment – August 17, 2012

Yes I know, the salary is really low. I am currently working for Melwood, but I am looking else where...

A very high paced and stressful job
refuse collection crew (Former Employee) –  Andrew's Air Force Base , Upper Marlboro,MdApril 18, 2013
It is a fast paced and high stress job. I was responsible for 6 to 12 developmentally disabled people which may or may not have behavior issues. I had to maintain their safety first and the safety of other should a behavior happen. My crew collected refuse on the route that the President of the United States take to leave on Air Force One. I learned how to do assessments and attend meetings for the Md State Assessments. The hardest part of the job is to be responsible for so many disabled people at one time. The most enjoyable part was watching my consumers succeed.
Pros
i really enjoyed the people i worked with.
Cons
management was poor.
A learning experience
Foreman/Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Upper Marlboro, MDJune 18, 2015
Pay was good
No weekends
No Holidays
We also had good insurance
Vacation when you wanted
Good work place to grow in the company
Love working with the people with disability
Pros
No weekends
Cons
Driving
ok place to work
Lead Worker (Former Employee) –  washington dcJuly 8, 2013
very normal days, every day brings the opportunity to learn new things. management in few words have there own personality's
some are very live an happy others can be very self preserved an quiet.
i think that the hardest part of my job would be the striping the wax just because of my asma, but the most enjoyable part of my day i must say is reviewing my own work just to make shore i beat my own standers .
My Job Was Better Than Yours!
Custodian/Maintenance (Former Employee) –  Upper Marlboro, MDApril 12, 2015
I loved my job here. The pay was excellent for what I was doing and the hours were beyond my belief. My co-workers were fun and energetic and never had a dull moment.
Pros
wages, hours
Cons
breaks
not a good job
landscape worker (Former Employee) –  upper marlboroApril 18, 2013
this position has been advertised three times now, and there is a reason no one wants this position.
you will not be trained, have more work than one can do in 10 hours, management does not provide support, tools to do job, or guidance.
Melwood is okay for those who want to start off after they finish high school...
Housekeeper (Current Employee) –  Suitland, MDAugust 17, 2012
Melwood is some what a good place to work, but they don't have all the benefits
Pros
take us employees out to eat for lunch every year during the summer and also do christmas party's
Cons
they don't have all the benefits...
Payroll Specialist I
Payroll Specialist (Former Employee) –  Upper Marlboro, MDSeptember 18, 2013
Was a great company to work for, except I worked in Payroll and the supervisor was a bully and a monster. She made my life a living hell.
Pros
good company
Cons
bad management