MEMIC Employee Reviews

Extremely productive work environment. Employee friendly
CLAIM ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  Portland, MEFebruary 14, 2017
Extremely productive work environment. Always something to do. Employees are treated very well. Management is relaxed as long as goals are being met. Advancement in the company is encouraged.
Club membership required for advancement
Accounting dept (Former Employee) –  Portland, MEJanuary 31, 2017
Decent pay and benefits. Promotions were not based upon skill rather favoritism . Management Is demanding yet provides no leadership so they can relax and gossip about the employees
Pros
Benefits and location
Cons
Lack of caring for the little people
IT (Current Employee) –  Portland, MEJanuary 2, 2017
MEMIC tells you they care but it is very obvious if you are not one of the money makers you are expendable. IT is in the mist of a complete reorganization and there is no sense of caring for those who always put in the extra time and effort. Instead they keep a director around managing a new team who knows nothing about what her team does, they push until people quit, they keep individuals who have complaints against them, and they only promote those who kiss but
Great company with an awesome atmosphere
IT Support Specialist (Current Employee) –  MaineJuly 14, 2016
Working in IT for MEMIC is a blast. The best team I have worked with in my career hands down. Everyone has something to bring to the table and will go out of their way to help one another. From the CIO down everyone is treated with respect.

The company as a whole is great. Being in the Maine building has it's perks because all the different departments as housed within. I can go to lunch with someone in claims and underwriting without going out of the way.
Pros
The people and benefits
A horrible experience...
Quality Assurance (Former Employee) –  Portland, MEJuly 11, 2016
This was a terrible experience from start to finish. You're told everyone works 40 hours, then after training you find out its more like 70 hours because everyone's salary. My manager was a coward who took 2 hour lunches almost daily. If you tell your supervisor that you don't understand something, they'll pile more work on you. The managers provide no support. A lot of eye rolling, a lot of extremely dull people. You'll be spoken to about your commitment to the job if you leave the building for lunch breaks. What a joke. MEMIC is where dreams go to die.
Pros
No longer working there.
Cons
Working here.
Ego Driven Management that cares little about production employees
Loss Control Consultant (Former Employee) –  Outsied of MaineJuly 5, 2016
My 10+ years with the company found that the CEO has a "management by discomfort" technique. In 2010 a major exodus of founding managers were forced out by the current CEO and replaced by "yes" men. (note no woman). The culture is one that thinks they are better and different, but yet, they have no discipline outside of Maine in terms of business focus or consistency. This results in field personnel being embarrassed by the whimsical decisions of managers.
Pros
Cons
Management lacks skill, direction and focus
Exemplary place to work
Human Resources (Current Employee) –  Portland, MaineFebruary 23, 2016
MEMIC is an exemplary organization top to bottom. I have been very happy in my position and feel very fortunate to be working for such a great company. This is the exact kind of company that I want to spend the rest of my career working for. Overall a great corporate culture. Where else does the President and CEO take the time to get to know you? Aside from the impressive corporate culture, MEMIC promotes career development through tuition reimbursement opportunities and also growth opportunities within the company. I cannot speak highly enough about MEMIC. If you are reading this review with the thoughts of applying, I highly encourage you to take the leap of faith. You will not regret it.
Pros
Great leadership, generous paid time off, affordable benefits, 401k with company matching
Never bored. There was always something to do in claims.
Workers' Compensation Claims Specialist (Current Employee) –  Portland, MEJanuary 7, 2015
Worked as a resident adjuster handing claims from the beginning to the end. Also handled mediations. Was lucky to have supervisors that understood the role of a resident adjuster and worked well with us.