Memorial Health University Medical Center Employee Reviews

Terrible place to work
RRT (Former Employee) –  Savannah, GAJanuary 9, 2016
The pay is terrible because there is a repiratory school in town and the director knows she can fill the palce with cheap, entry level therapists.
Also, there was one raise in the 9 years I worked there.
The fellow RT's backstab, backbite, and complain about each other. Worst attitudes I have ever come across.
It's a teaching hospital but don't expect to learn anything...the residents do everything from intubation, arterial lines, and ventilator management. You cant even change FIO2 without having to call a resident. And as we all know, they are idiots.
Pros
NONE
Cons
Eveything
Great Place to Work
Emergency Room Technician/Health Unit Clerk (Former Employee) –  Savannah, GAOctober 22, 2015
Function as integral part of the emergency care team during traumas and codes. Responsible for triage of new patients to ascertain and record accurate vital signs while reporting any abnormal findings to primary care nurse or charge nurse. Assist nursing staff in gathering information pertinent to the patient's care including the patient's physical needs and functional status,
Pros
osts of training and educational opportunies
Cons
Short breaks
The opportunities in the medical field are endless.
Patient Transporter (Current Employee) –  Savannah, GAOctober 9, 2015
A stressful work place that takes some getting use to. Everyday will be different. Memorial University Medical Center is the region's only Level 1 trauma center. That means we provide the highest level of emergency care as established by the American College of Surgeons. It also means our board-certified trauma surgeons and our designated trauma operating room are available around the clock. There are a lot of opportunities you can be apart of.
Pros
Discount on lunches, great benefits, flexible scheduling.
Cons
Non-cooperative patients, most visitors are sad or angry.
Mediocre work environment with questionable management
Perioperative Services Business Manager (Current Employee) –  Savannah, GAOctober 2, 2015
The jobs themselves are fine, but the management stifles creative thinking and you never really feel secure in your job.
Worked very hard with great teamwork in place
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Savannah, GAJuly 8, 2015
Worked close to 13hours a shift. I worked Night shift weekends. We took care of 2 patients each on average. Once a Huddled report was given we then each got a detailed report from the nurse going off duty. Then we would go into the room together and check the IV pumps where correct. I would then assess my patient change infants diapers and positions and have a chat to the parents in the room of the plan of our day. This time always gave me a good connection to the family and find out further info that might be helpful in my nursing care. I would check all my emergency equipment and monitor settings are correct and age appropriate for each patient. I would check on the ventilators setting are correct to the orders. Once that was done I would start with any drug administrations that where due. We had a list of what was due and when. Same for the blood draws on some patients they where scheduled with the frequency that was required.
I would then chart the assessment on the patient and plan of care and double check all the orders.
We do hourly vitals and intake and output and would have to continue updating the computer with all this information.
There is no typical day in an ICU most days are a challenge as patients are in unstable conditions. We had such a variety of cases and each required different monitoring and interventions.

I learned so much that I cannot begin to even put it together. I had to learn everything about ventilation. The frequent codes we were in, gave me a great insight to the preparation for it, and the constant daily stress of it.

My co-workers
  more... were great, very supportive of each other and great teamwork in the unit.

The hardest part of the job, Dealing with a death of a child is always traumatic to everyone. We never want to lose a child.

The most enjoyable part of the job, is having a great laugh and comradeship among my co-workers. Also this job can be so rewarding when a child survives against all odds.
Pros
Excellent Teamwork and comradeship with my co-workers.
Cons
The long shift hours with minimal normal breaks.
challenging
Bio-Specimen Technician (Current Employee) –  Savannah, GeorgioaApril 23, 2015
More work somedays it can be a challenge, and some days stressful when one person has all that to do. Somedays it is more walking and picking up specimens, the processing of the specimens, which can take aleast 2 hours to process the blood specimen.
Pros
good food
Cons
under staff
Somewhat positive workplace. Tons of work for all shifts.
Hardeware Inventory Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Savannah, GAApril 3, 2015
Not a bad place to work. Pay just needs to be increased to be competitive with the other hospitals. Company is gearing towards Patient and Family Centered Care which will hopefully make everyone a little bit happier. People are easy to get along with, management has made strides to better our department and update our processes with that of the AORN and AAMI standards.
Operations Manager, Perioperative Division (Current Employee) –  Savannah, GAJanuary 15, 2015
Great people and very fast paced. Lots to learn and constant change.
Fast pace and constantly changing workplace.
Operating Room Specialty Technician (Current Employee) –  Savannah, GANovember 6, 2014
Great place to start as an entry level job into the medical field. People are great to work with and very strong team work to keep the work caught up.
Pros
free gym membership.
Cons
non flexible schedule.
I will never regret a day of becoming a nurse. It has been the best choice I have ever made for myself and my family.
STAFF NURSE (Former Employee) –  Savannah, GAOctober 15, 2014
I enjoyed approx. 25 years of learning and growing at MHUMC. I learned a lot and accumulated friends for life. I spent many years as a part of Shared Governance and served as chair of the Med/Surg committee. I got an inside view of how decisions are made concerning the directions and plans for future nursing practices for the facility.
The hardest part of the job for me was not allowing myself to become attached to the people I served. The most enjoyable part of my job was gaining wisdom from the environment around me.
Pros
the opportunity to meet and work with different cultures of people.
Cons
not enough time for breaks most days as related to patient care.
good facility with open door policy
Staff CT Technologist (Former Employee) –  Savannah, GASeptember 27, 2014
Good place to work.pay could be better.management seemed to genuinely care about the workers
Pros
decent management
Cons
lower pay
Good opportunity to learn about different aspects of healthcare.
Representative Document Imaging (Current Employee) –  Savannah, GASeptember 25, 2014
A typical day at work requires getting the patients EHR completed in a timely manner so that the facility can be reimbursed.
Pros
flexible scheduling
Cons
short lunch break
good job
Food Service Attendant I (Former Employee) –  Savannah, GAJuly 28, 2014
no leadership support, Cooked for all patients in hospital
Switchboard operator (Former Employee) –  Savannah, GAJuly 22, 2014
Assist patients and patients family on a daily basis. Transferred calls to correct departments. Assist doctors and staff memebers with paging systems.
Pros
health benefits
Cons
n/a
Interesting place to work at with a variety of people
Patient Transporter (Current Employee) –  Savannah, GAJuly 14, 2014
Great work environment that alllows you to meet different people everyday
busy days
Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Savannah, GAJune 25, 2014
Fast paced busy moderately stressful. Gained clinical knowledge and valuable experience.
Pros
job security
Cons
long days
Productive and Fun Place
Practice Rep II (Former Employee) –  Savannah, GAMay 9, 2014
Loved my experience at this hospital. I enjoyed working with all the patients and families. The doctors I worked for were amazing.
Great Hospital great Team Members
Telecommunications Operator (Current Employee) –  Savannah, GAMay 7, 2014
I have enjoyed my time here at Memorial. I has been an interesting time working here. Especially with all the changes in the Healthcare field as it relates to insurance and reimbursements.
An awesome hospital.
Staff RN (Former Employee) –  SavannahFebruary 3, 2014
I am proud of the people I worked with, the care I gave and the experience and learning gained early in my career.
Best Place I have Ever Worked
Pediatric Staff Nurse/Charge Nurse (Former Employee) –  Savannah, GAJanuary 26, 2014
Memorial is without a doubt the best Hospital I have had the opportunity to work in. Very positive environment with dedicated staff. Many opportunities for advancement.