Memorial Hospital Jacksonville Employee Reviews

Great job with even better learning environment
Patient Transportation (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLJuly 10, 2017
In my opinion the best job I've had. Each day my job was to take patients from their room, to the specified procedure from their doctor. I was to take either a stretcher for non- walking patients, or a wheelchair for walking patients. Transfers would be complete when the nurse signs off and then the process continues from there via radio contact to the route coordinator. The hours were very consistent and the benefits were great as well.
Pros
hour break, great hours, benefits, lifelong connections
Cons
didnt transfer with move
Fast-paced. Can be stressful.. Great Team-work
Certified Respiratory Therapist Technician (Former Employee) –  HCA Memorial Hospital Jacksonville FloridaJune 8, 2017
I worked with some of the most wonderful and dedicated Nurses and Respiratory Therapists in the world. I cherished my time there.
A typical day for me was arriving to work and receiving a thorough report from the previous CCC or OHR therapist. We provided vent weaning, assessment, placing patients back on resting night time settings. We performed vent checks q3hrs and p.r.n. as well as answered all vent alarms, Codes, Support Teams, ABG's,Compassionate weans. Respiratory was responsible for Hemodynamic monitoring.
It could be a VERY fast paced environment with incredibly sick people.
We had good close relationships with our nurses and supervisors on night shift and a certain amount of autonomy. Our intensivists and most of our Critical Care Physicians listened to our opinions and took action based on them.
CCC therapists were provided the opportunity to stay in the unit with our patients, their families and our nurses providing good opportunities for pt education and continuity of care.
I also have tremendous respect for the intensivists and for the head of our Critical Care Team ...
Pros
Teamwork, Continuing education. On-site intensivist 24/7
Cons
Under-staffing at times.
A culture of intimidation and mistreatment
Administration Manager (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLMay 9, 2017
Mistrust, verbal abuse, low morale prevail everywhere in the hospital. Still there are good people trying to do their part while working in a hostile environment. Just give it six months and you will see it and feel it. Worst yet, top administration seems to condone it, encourage it or remains passive at best.
Pros
All and all there are great people providing good care.
Cons
Awful working atmosphere.
Great Staff, Great Opportunity
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLMay 3, 2017
It felt like a family everyday I was there and I worked there for over 4 years. I left and came back to HCA because I missed it so much. The opportunity with HCA is vast and the culture is phenomenal... can't be beat!!
Pros
Friendly, caring coworkers
Cons
Admin can sometimes be out of reach with lower level employees
friendly place to work
Front office Unit Secretary/Nursing Support (Current Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLMarch 28, 2017
I had a fun job being able to see the new moms and babies as I worked in labor and delivery
Typical work day would be checking in new patients for inductions and OB/Gyn surgeries and c-sections
Pros
job close to work
Cons
healthcare benefits could be alot better priced
Staff is friendly.
ICU RN (Current Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLMarch 21, 2017
Memorial hospital has great potential. Staff is friendly and welcoming for the most part. Management does what they can but are often pushed down by administration. Every department is understaffed. Hospital is often overbooked.
Pros
Staff friendliness
Cons
Administration
Mhj
Registered Nurse, Charge Nurse (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLFebruary 24, 2017
This hospital is where I started and can honestly say it was a wonderful stepping stone into nursing. I learned a tremendous amount while working at MHJ
Pretty good work environment
TPN/PRN Technician (Current Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLFebruary 12, 2017
As an Infusion Compounding Pharmacy Technician I work with cutting edge technology compounding specialized and complex therapies. Using clinical and IV/TPN/Chemo knowledge along with the pharmacist to provide specialty infusion services administered to patients throughout the hospital. The key responsibilities
good work place.i worked with the safety and security Dept.
Security Officer (Former Employee) –  JAX, FLJanuary 6, 2017
Good work place i was with safety and security. We patrol the exterior and interior patrol and stood baker act watch.Property pick up each day with patients personal belongings,and control the morgue for body count.The enjoyable part was having fire drills and safety checks.
Registration
Registrar, 3625 University Blvd S (Current Employee) –  Jacksonville, FL 32216November 28, 2016
Greets, collects and processes all incoming patients to gather the necessary demographic information required in accordance with all regulations and hospital policies to provide care for the patients, procure reimbursement verification from third parties, and maintain records appropriately. Has a willingness to be cross-trained and will float to other areas or departments if the need arises.
Pros
Interactions with patients
Cons
pay
Nursing Staffing Services for assignment
Sitter (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLJune 7, 2016
Did not know where I was being assigned until I arrived. My calm demeanor let me deal with patients easily.
I was the only sitter in a room. So, did not get to interact with co-worker much. When we did get together we enjoyed ourselves.
The hardest part was with dementia patients. Trying to assure them that they were in a hospital, not at home and could not 'go to garage to ice cream out of freezer' etc.
I enjoyed keeping my patients happy by getting them thing they wanted or needed,
My most rewarding experience was getting a note from a Nurse saying: Thank you! You've exceeded expectations in providing friendly, compassionate, quality care for every one, every time.
"Very attentive to patients' needs, helpful to the nurses. And an all around joy to be around".
This was from J. B. RN BC 4 West who left to work with Baptist Downtown
Pros
Close to home
Cons
No benefits at all
Look elsewhere
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLApril 22, 2016
Poor staffing, poor morale. Certain cultures dominate. Administration just manages, leadership is lacking. Money and patient satisfaction surveys are most important, not the staff. Communication is horrible between providers and staff. New graduates should go to other hospital systems that are not for profit. I would not recommend working for HCA if you value morals, true team work, your health and your license (if you are licensed).
Pros
Some people who work there are truly caring; if you like overtime it is more than available
Cons
interupted breaks if you get them, micromanagement; poor staffing; tough patient load; poor communication
Leadership by fear and negative reenforcement. Do not care about family life, only what is necessary for the department.
Quality Assurance Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLJune 1, 2015
This is one of the worst employers I ever had. The C-Suite people are money hungry individuals that care only abut the profit. Employees' moral is always low, high turnover even with upper management positions. Job Work/Life Balance is non existent. If you try to enhance your education they will do their best to block your educational goals. No paid holidays, it comes from your vacation time, and vacation is granted if the manager agrees. Health insurance is very expensive. Suggestions about changing your physicians if they do not work after business hours or Saturdays. Medical appointments need to be scheduled after work hours.
Pros
Cons
Too many to list
Excellent place to work, an employees individual input valued and heard. Felt like part of a team.
Computed Tomography Technologist (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLMay 28, 2015
Although a very busy work environment, daily job tasks were not encumbered with counterproductive workflow steps. The physical structure, CT equipment in relation to the ER, the computer program, necessary forms, filming system even though not digital at the time was organized for optimum workflow and productivity. The manager and supervisor were active in treating each employee, shift, and or departmental issue, with attentiveness and followed through to resolution. Ancillary services such as EVS were approachable, considerate and thorough with the cleanliness of the facility. Ample training, education and assistance by the employment of a patient care tech/transporter for the individual department was an additional benefit of the overall work experience.
Pros
Well organized, central easily accessible breakroom
Cons
Dual Film Processors printed films out of order
I would recommend Memorial to someone seeking employment.
Registered Nurse- Cardiovascular (Current Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLMay 26, 2015
I have enjoyed my experience here at Memorial Hospital and have been provided with a wonderful opportunity. I have learned so much and expanded upon both my skills and knowledge base greatly. For several reasons however, I am however exploring other options at this time.
Overall I enjoyed working there.
Anesthesia Technician/ CNA / Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLFebruary 10, 2015
I would go in to work with a positive attitude knowing that those who i worked with were dependable people that I could learn from and I was given the opportunity to learn so much from them. I joined the OR as an orderly and i asked the manager for every learning opportunity and She took me up on it by pairing me with surgical techs who taught me equipment and instruments needed for various surgeries. I was later paired with the Perfusionist to learn their equipment and took over some of the ordering responsibilities. After a few weeks of becoming familiar with that I was given the opportunity to learn to become an Anesthesia Tech by hands on training. I was paired with the best teacher and some of the most demanding Doctors and I loved it.
Pros
discounts in the cafeteria and lunchens given by appreciative doctors
Cons
too many demands on a already shorted staff and too many travelers to have fluency and stay on task
Good job and good teamwork
Central Supply Technician (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLJuly 30, 2014
Good job, good team work, and good surpervisors, work was steady, but not overwhelming, clean working conditions
Pros
2nd shift
Cons
distance from home
Productive and Caring Facility
Patient Care Technician (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLMay 9, 2014
A typical busy day on average. Whether it was working in Critical Care or Cardiovascular ICU there was also something to do. Learned to how care for the ill in depth, new medical conditions, treatments, and prognosis. On average co-workers were team members. Everything that occurred in the unit was handled as a team to care for our patients. The job was a little stressful being that it was a 12.5 hour shift inside a building. Most enjoyable part of the job was the progression health status of the patient and being able to help patient family and visitors. Also, SAVING LIVES and improving healthcare.
Pros
Benefits, pay, promotions, opportunity to work over-time, shift-differential pay, activities
Cons
Long shifts, stress
Productive and very busy CVICU
Critical Care RN (1988) (Current Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLApril 11, 2014
My typical day at work is twelve hour day shifts in the CVICU. I usually work three to four shifts per week. The most enjoyable part of the job is caring for my critical care patients and witnessing them get well. The hardest part of the job is when patient's do not do well.
Pros
I have a job
Productive and fun environment
Registered Nurse - ER (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLApril 6, 2014
I enjoyed working in the ER here until our management changed and the way we were treated declined to childish.

This was my first job as an RN. I started in t he ER with my GN and had an awesome preceptor that taught me the real life skills to go with what I learned in school.

My co-workers worked in a team environment as much as possible with how busy the ER was in a day.