Memorial University Medical Center Employee Reviews

Great hospital but Poor Management
Technologist (Former Employee) –  Savannah, GASeptember 19, 2015
I worked here for 8 years, Its a great hospital to work at and you get to see lot of things and can get great experience for starters. The management and administration sucks very bad, once you are in you are doomed. No rases in 8 years and they spend more money on constructions and beautification of the hospitals but do not care for the working staff. I wouldn't suggest this place a great working place until management fixes things.
Pros
Great hospital, great staff, great care
Cons
Administration sucks, Management sucks, No compensation for the amount of work, No rase
Fun place to work
Therapy Aide (Former Employee) –  Savannah, GAAugust 30, 2015
All I have to say is that the patients made everyday worth it. The smile they would put on your face daily made you melt. The people you work with would build bonds that will last a lifetime.
Working in the ER
Patient Access Rep II/Team Leader, PA (Current Employee) –  Savannah, GAAugust 29, 2015
When working in the ER, you learn to manage your time wisely. You work as a team to get patients information and assist the clinical staff. Some days are harder then others, but we all work together well.
Cons
no breaks and only thirty minute lunch
worked in a relatively small area (about 15 people) who made a great team.
Medical Technologist, Microbiology (Former Employee) –  Savannah, GAAugust 15, 2015
A typical day of work was walking into the walk-in incubator and preparing your petri dishes and paperwork. Every culture was different, because if you were working the "urines bench", a urine culture on an 80 year old is worked and reported differently than that of a newborn. All microbiology, but all with a twist. I learned to not work in a vacuum and not be cocky and to ask for a second opinion when needed. Management varied, but we all got along if you did your work. My co-workers made a great team. Sure there were personality differences, but those should be left at the door and professional attitudes prevail in the workplace. The hardest part of the job was finding sexually transmitted diseases in children as young as one month. The most enjoyable part of the job was knowing I was helping someone feel maybe just a little better.
Pros
I enjoyed the diversity found in one discipline - microbiology
Cons
By the time you got to the cafeteria, you had 10 minutes to snarf food before walking back to the lab.
Great place to start out as a new grad nurse
Registered Nurse, Orthopedic Trauma Joint Center (Current Employee) –  Savannah, GAJune 9, 2015
I can't say enough about the management support I receive here. Ortho floor's team work is also second to none! The days are long and sometimes hectic but I always feel like there's someone who has my back when the going gets tough,
Very busy and hectice
Registered Nurse ER (Former Employee) –  Savannah, GAApril 22, 2015
Each day nurses were assigned a group of patients. During most shifts multiple times nursing to patine ratios would exceed 5 to 1 with high acuity patients. This didn't bother me much. I loved the excitement and challenge.
Pros
Lots of autonomy
Cons
almost no breaks due to busy nature of department. Breaks were offerred but there was never time.
Working in the ER
Patient Access Rep II/Team Leader, PA (Current Employee) –  Savannah, GAApril 16, 2015
They hardest part of my job is to make sure that all the patient information is right and if it is not it could really hurt that patient and the care that we provide them. Working in the emergency room at memorial can be very rewarding and stressful at the same time. Everyday is a different day.
Pros
Team work
Cons
no breaks
Na
Program Coordinator & Recruiter (Current Employee) –  Savannah, GANovember 19, 2014
Typical day-demanding
Learned-management qualities, and leadership capabilities
Co-workers: Excellent
Cons
pto
Great time off, won't see a raise
Maintenance (Current Employee) –  Savannah GAOctober 22, 2014
Memorial could be a great place to work for but there is too many politics to deal with in the everyday operations. A company of this size also has way too much of the "good ol boy" system, and fraternization going on with it. The good part is you get alot of time off per pay period, but don't expect getting a raise. With Memorial supporting indigent care, raises are non-existent.
Pros
lots of time off
Cons
no raises, fraternization, to many shop politics
Poor Management, cuts of employees by consulting companies that are now involved in running Memorial
Financial Counselor (Former Employee) –  Savannah, GaSeptember 13, 2014
Worked with Memorial for 8 years and loved my job working night and day but all sorts of consulting companies came in and cut positions without looking into what the staff really did. I have applied several times for positions recently ( the same position) spoken to the Recruiter & she reports that the Manager has been too busy to interview anyone. I gave up on Memorial even though I really wanted to return .
Cons
no lunch breaks, worked overtime, low moral, no praise from higher bosses
this is a fun place to work at
Patient Care Technician (Current Employee) –  savannah gaSeptember 11, 2014
i have learn a lot a memorial medical center,this is a great place to work,you can learn a lot here,and the worker are great.
Wonderful Float Pool Manager
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Savannah, GAJuly 25, 2014
Can be very hectic at times being a Level One Trauma Center. I enjoy working for Memorial and take my job very seriously. I do miss having patients for longer lengths of stay so that I can further build rapport with patient's and their families. I do miss that time that I used to be able to devote to therapeutic communication, and the documentation is a lot of additional work when you have a lot of patient's discharging and many new admissions on most given days. I enjoy the flexibility of my schedule and many of the people I work with. I have a wonderful manager who I'm eternally grateful for. She's very helpful and supportive at all times. I just wish I had more time to devote communication with my patients. It is very high paced, which I am accustomed to, just looking for something that allows me to further my skill set, while allowing me the time to give the emotional care to my patients that I feel like sometimes, I don't have time enough to do, because we stay so busy! Love my job, just looking for a little change.
Pros
great pay for float nurses
Cons
very fasted paced and high patient turnover rate
Excellant work environment
Patient Care Partner - Emergency Department (Former Employee) –  Savannah, GAJune 12, 2014
Provided direct and indirect patient care as delegated and supervised by the Registered Nurse and/or physician. Performed duties such as Foley catheter insertion, care and removal, 12 lead ECG, CPR, simple dressing changes, basic splinting, I.V. catheter removal, suture removal, assisted with medical procedures, blood glucose checks, phlebotomy, transporting patients, weights, vital signs, specimen collections, responded to call lights.
Pros
pay, positive work environment
Cons
facility needs updating
Detail oriented, problem solving and great orginazational skills
Medical Record Analyst- H.I.M. Physician Services (Current Employee) –  Savannah, GAJune 3, 2014
Love my co workers BUT they do not promote from within very often
Pros
love the people i work with and flexible & understanding management
Cons
no room for growth and pay is not great
Clerical Support (Former Employee) –  Savannah, GAApril 3, 2014
Great place to work.
Great people to work with
Pleasant in environment
Productive and great learning environment
Nursing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Savannah, GADecember 11, 2013
A typical day at work was filled with teamwork. I learned the importance of time management and being competent in every nursing skill. My co-workers were very helpful and polite. We all were like a family. The hardest part of the job was seeing someone die. The most enjoyable part of the job was seeing a patient smile.
Pros
training, gift shops, programs
Cons
worker shortages
self reliant
Surgical Technologist (Former Employee) –  Savannah, GADecember 6, 2013
very great hospital
i enjoyed working here
gained a lot of confidence and accountability
Typical hospital corporation.
Business Office Associate I (Former Employee) –  Savannah, GANovember 23, 2013
a typical day at work
what you learned
management
your co-workers
the hardest part of the job
the most enjoyable part of the job
Nice place to work but feeling effects of federal payer cuts
Lead Polysomnographic Technologist (Current Employee) –  Savannah, GAAugust 25, 2013
Community facility struggling with changes on financial side due to high number of poor and uninsured customers.
Cons
poor financial forecast
Best Healthcare Facility for Trauma
Administrative Coordinator Perioperative Services (Former Employee) –  Savannah, GAAugust 13, 2013
Very busy work days but very exciting. Have to keep up with the pace!
Learned extensive healthcare setting and services provided.
Management and co-workers very friendly.
Very stressful environment.
Interacting with patients, phycisians and staff.
Pros
postive working atmosphere.