Memorial University Medical Center Employee Reviews in United States

Management is horrible. No raises or promotions.
Business Office Associate (Former Employee) –  MHUPApril 4, 2016
Physician's Billing part of Memorial has terrible unskilled managers. They have their favorites and it doesn't matter that they never do any work because the manager will promote them and give them higher pay and she will retaliate and heap more work on those she sees as a threat. She is causing the company to lose money and the good workers are leaving because of her. Her supervisors are also unskilled in managing workers. They all just want the management pay and don't care about the employees or getting the work done correctly. It is a power trip for them. Training sucks too. No one knows what they are doing there. They make up unreasonable and unattainable goals and write workers up if they complain or don't meet these lousy goals.
Pros
some benefits
Cons
holiday, Sick time and vacation time all combined. no raises. no company match for 401k. the list goes on
Great hospital but Poor Management
Technologist (Former Employee) –  Savannah, GASeptember 19, 2015
I worked here for 8 years, Its a great hospital to work at and you get to see lot of things and can get great experience for starters. The management and administration sucks very bad, once you are in you are doomed. No rases in 8 years and they spend more money on constructions and beautification of the hospitals but do not care for the working staff. I wouldn't suggest this place a great working place until management fixes things.
Pros
Great hospital, great staff, great care
Cons
Administration sucks, Management sucks, No compensation for the amount of work, No rase
Working in the ER
Patient Access Rep II/Team Leader, PA (Current Employee) –  Savannah, GAAugust 29, 2015
When working in the ER, you learn to manage your time wisely. You work as a team to get patients information and assist the clinical staff. Some days are harder then others, but we all work together well.
Cons
no breaks and only thirty minute lunch
Fun place to work
Therapy Aide (Former Employee) –  Savannah, GAAugust 30, 2015
All I have to say is that the patients made everyday worth it. The smile they would put on your face daily made you melt. The people you work with would build bonds that will last a lifetime.
worked in a relatively small area (about 15 people) who made a great team.
Medical Technologist, Microbiology (Former Employee) –  Savannah, GAAugust 15, 2015
A typical day of work was walking into the walk-in incubator and preparing your petri dishes and paperwork. Every culture was different, because if you were working the "urines bench", a urine culture on an 80 year old is worked and reported differently than that of a newborn. All microbiology, but all with a twist. I learned to not work in a vacuum and not be cocky and to ask for a second opinion when needed. Management varied, but we all got along if you did your work. My co-workers made a great team. Sure there were personality differences, but those should be left at the door and professional attitudes prevail in the workplace. The hardest part of the job was finding sexually transmitted diseases in children as young as one month. The most enjoyable part of the job was knowing I was helping someone feel maybe just a little better.
Pros
I enjoyed the diversity found in one discipline - microbiology
Cons
By the time you got to the cafeteria, you had 10 minutes to snarf food before walking back to the lab.
Great place to start out as a new grad nurse
Registered Nurse, Orthopedic Trauma Joint Center (Current Employee) –  Savannah, GAJune 9, 2015
I can't say enough about the management support I receive here. Ortho floor's team work is also second to none! The days are long and sometimes hectic but I always feel like there's someone who has my back when the going gets tough,
Very busy and hectice
Registered Nurse ER (Former Employee) –  Savannah, GAApril 22, 2015
Each day nurses were assigned a group of patients. During most shifts multiple times nursing to patine ratios would exceed 5 to 1 with high acuity patients. This didn't bother me much. I loved the excitement and challenge.
Pros
Lots of autonomy
Cons
almost no breaks due to busy nature of department. Breaks were offerred but there was never time.
Working in the ER
Patient Access Rep II/Team Leader, PA (Current Employee) –  Savannah, GAApril 16, 2015
They hardest part of my job is to make sure that all the patient information is right and if it is not it could really hurt that patient and the care that we provide them. Working in the emergency room at memorial can be very rewarding and stressful at the same time. Everyday is a different day.
Pros
Team work
Cons
no breaks
Great time off, won't see a raise
Maintenance (Current Employee) –  Savannah GAOctober 22, 2014
Memorial could be a great place to work for but there is too many politics to deal with in the everyday operations. A company of this size also has way too much of the "good ol boy" system, and fraternization going on with it. The good part is you get alot of time off per pay period, but don't expect getting a raise. With Memorial supporting indigent care, raises are non-existent.
Pros
lots of time off
Cons
no raises, fraternization, to many shop politics
Poor Management, cuts of employees by consulting companies that are now involved in running Memorial
Financial Counselor (Former Employee) –  Savannah, GaSeptember 13, 2014
Worked with Memorial for 8 years and loved my job working night and day but all sorts of consulting companies came in and cut positions without looking into what the staff really did. I have applied several times for positions recently ( the same position) spoken to the Recruiter & she reports that the Manager has been too busy to interview anyone. I gave up on Memorial even though I really wanted to return .
Cons
no lunch breaks, worked overtime, low moral, no praise from higher bosses
Excellant work environment
Patient Care Partner - Emergency Department (Former Employee) –  Savannah, GAJune 12, 2014
Provided direct and indirect patient care as delegated and supervised by the Registered Nurse and/or physician. Performed duties such as Foley catheter insertion, care and removal, 12 lead ECG, CPR, simple dressing changes, basic splinting, I.V. catheter removal, suture removal, assisted with medical procedures, blood glucose checks, phlebotomy, transporting patients, weights, vital signs, specimen collections, responded to call lights.
Pros
pay, positive work environment
Cons
facility needs updating
Level I Trauma Center, OR busy.
Surgical Specialty Supervisor, ACI/Trauma/Vascular (Current Employee) –  Savannah, GeorgiaApril 19, 2013
Work with vascular, trauma, and surgical oncologists in the operating room. Responsible for necessary supplies and instrumentation to complete these cases while providing responsible patient care as the patient is under anesthesia.
The team is professional and caring and consists on nursing, scrub technicians, anesthesists and the surgeon. The most diffecult part is realizing a patient's situation is worse than first believed after visualizing tumor, aneurysm, trauma results, etc.
Busy and Energetic
Surgical Technologist (Current Employee) –  Savannah, GASeptember 18, 2012
Various shifts available in the Operating room. Great exposure to various services and specialties, including the Davinci robotic system. Management is professional and efficient. Most enjoyable part of the job is the invaluable exposure and training. Work load is heavy so I would recommend careful consideration on the shift you chose because more than likely yo will be on your feet the entire time(not including govt. mandated brakes.)
Pros
opportunities for continuing education
Cons
unfair work distribution

Comment – January 4, 2013

BRAKES???? Do you mean breaks?

Excellent place to work!!!
Float pool rep (Former Employee) –  Savannah, GAFebruary 4, 2013
I worked in the newly formed float pool for the front office personnel. I would work when needed and where in the 13 satalite offices and the business office when needed. I mainly worked the check out desk and entered all claims for the day and balanced each day . Made sure the coding was correct before submitting to insurance companies for payment. Loved going to work every day.
Pros
flexable schedule, different office every week
Cons
no benifits

Comment – February 7, 2013

Hi, I'm actually applying for a different position at Memorial, Security Officer. Do, or did you know of any officers there during your employment time. Can you tell me a little about any experiences/encounters you had? I've been doing a lot of research on the job description, but can't seem to find much helpful information. Thanks!

Productive and great learning environment
Nursing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Savannah, GADecember 11, 2013
A typical day at work was filled with teamwork. I learned the importance of time management and being competent in every nursing skill. My co-workers were very helpful and polite. We all were like a family. The hardest part of the job was seeing someone die. The most enjoyable part of the job was seeing a patient smile.
Pros
training, gift shops, programs
Cons
worker shortages
Close knit office like a family.
Accounts Receivable Representative (Former Employee) –  Savannah, GAFebruary 21, 2013
Wished I was able to stay but needed full time position with more compensation per hour. Learned medical ambulance billing and coding for Ground and Air Emergency Transportation.
Pros
free employee benefits such as immunizations, etc....
Cons
med star life star dept was closed shortly after i left their employment
Best Healthcare Facility for Trauma
Administrative Coordinator Perioperative Services (Former Employee) –  Savannah, GAAugust 13, 2013
Very busy work days but very exciting. Have to keep up with the pace!
Learned extensive healthcare setting and services provided.
Management and co-workers very friendly.
Very stressful environment.
Interacting with patients, phycisians and staff.
Pros
postive working atmosphere.
I enjoy my job. I started in 2006 and became a team member in every since of the word
Patientcare Technician/Unit Coordinator (Current Employee) –  savannah, GAOctober 2, 2012
wonderful place to work and have a career. I have learned a lot since working for Memorial. HealthCare is one of the largest job markets out there. It is a secure profession and you get to help people.
Detail oriented, problem solving and great orginazational skills
Medical Record Analyst- H.I.M. Physician Services (Current Employee) –  Savannah, GAJune 3, 2014
Love my co workers BUT they do not promote from within very often
Pros
love the people i work with and flexible & understanding management
Cons
no room for growth and pay is not great
L & d
Surgical Technologist (Former Employee) –  Savannah, GAAugust 13, 2012
A lot of unnecessary work. A lot of lazy nurses. A lot to add to my resume because I was a surgical tech, PCT, receptionist, and stocker. I had great work experience, but not a great co- worker experience. The hardest part being more than one place at the same time.
Pros
workload
Cons
co- workers