Men's Wearhouse Employee Reviews

Fun job, but poor upper management
Customer Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Niles, ILFebruary 16, 2016
I like this job as a whole and everyone in my store is fantastic, but the upper management is shady. I was promised a pay raise over 6 months ago and despite my best efforts, and the efforts of my store manager, the regional manager keeps making excuses and delaying. So even though I've been with the company for almost a year and a half, with 2 years of tuxedo sales and management experience before that, I am making less money than a new employee who has been written up for tardiness and calling in on multiple occasions. Seems pretty shady to me.
Pros
Laid back, good discount, company holiday parties, fun coworkers
Cons
Poor upper management, low pay
Great company high pressure sales enviorment
Wardrobe Consultant (Former Employee) –  KentuckyMarch 5, 2016
This is a company with a great culture. I just find the sporadic scheduling to be very hard to deal with as far as work life balance. This is definitely a company that will give people a chance to show their mettle but is definitely not for every one. If you can handle the stress and demands of the business environment you will be fine. This company has a very strong work hard play hard mentality.
Pros
company wants you succeed, positive work environment, annual holiday party
Cons
very little growth opportunity beyond store level, work schedule
Mens Wearhouse - Assistant Operations Manager
Assistant Operations Manager (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAMarch 28, 2016
Really enjoyed my time at Men's Wearhouse and enjoyed working there. Management is very supportive and great advancement opportunities for those willing to work hard and give their all.
Great Work environment where you can make good friends!
Men's Wardrobe Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXFebruary 4, 2016
Good work environment where I have made many friends. Good pay as long as you can sell and have good networking skills. You will not get promoted if you aren't the top seller in your store or if you aren't in an "inner circle" with the regional managers as well as store managers. Company is cutting back on things and have lowered discounts for their employees, cut hours for upper management so therefore the Assistant Managers (who don't earn overtime) will have to work over fifty hours a week without overtime.
Pros
Flexible Hours, good pay
Cons
Not much room for promotions
Productive and encouraging atmosphere
Customer Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Sioux Falls, SDMarch 29, 2016
This store had great management, it was an encouraging atmosphere. The team as a whole worked well together and helped each other when necessary.
Pros
positive work place
Cons
no room for promotion at all.
Interesting
Analyst (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXMarch 4, 2016
No training, no development and no leadership and you needed to make sure you didn't make any waves. They also don't understand the companies they bought they just try to make everything the same and TMW when other companies are not that.
Pros
Nothing really
Cons
Management and culture
Awesome place to work
Customer Service Associate (CSA) (Current Employee) –  King of Prussia, PAMarch 7, 2016
Great co-workers, great management, and great customers. Provides the best advice and styling in menswear.
I've learned how to coordinate styles for significant events, and I've learned how to provide the best customer service. The management is always striving for us to reach our goals and to do better everyday. A typical day in the spring is very busy, with weddings and proms occurring around the same time. My co-workers all care about each other and work very hard to keep everything afloat. The hardest part of the job is getting the fitting right. Sometimes the warehouse makes mistakes that are not our fault, but sometimes our measurements just need to be much more accurate. We always fix fitting problems immediately. The most enjoyable part of the job is when customers come for final fitting to pick up their rentals and we get to see how great their look turned out for them.
fun workplace
Wardrobe Consultant (Former Employee) –  Kissimmee, FLJanuary 14, 2016
selling mens clothing
learned how to be competitive
management would pressure you to sell more than one item otherwise you would get in trouble
co workers were very competitive
just selling one item, like one suit only because it would affect your numbers
meeting people from all walks of life
Pros
great sales
Cons
if you didnt sell hat they call Concept which is an outfit, instead of one piece of clothing, you could loose your job. too much pressure
Good Company
Contact Center Rentals (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXMarch 11, 2016
good company to work for once you are high up in the company, for people who are on the bottom, its heard to get to the top. managers come and go, you really never know who to report to. they offer good benefit time for employees
Pros
good benifits
Cons
management
Productive and fun work place
Customer service Associate (Current Employee) –  South Windsor, CTJanuary 2, 2016
Great place
great job
big family
management sets up fundraisers,
suit drives and toys for kids during the holidays.
flexible work place, hands on customer service approach
Great Atmosphere
Wardrobe Consultant (Former Employee) –  State College, PAAugust 4, 2016
This is a great place to work. The ability to meet so many different people that walk through those doors and hear their stories and help them pick out a suit for potentially one of the most important days of their lives. Then the added satisfaction of getting feedback from the customers after their special day makes everything more rewarding. If you are lucky enough to work at a hybrid store and not a cut throat commission store the atmosphere and help form co-workers is very positive.
You will learn great styling tips. The hardest part of the job would be the ability to keep calm after wasting hours of time on a customer trying on everything in the store and then leaving empty handed.
Pros
AMAZING employee discounts and purchasing program
Cons
keeping sales goals
Productive and fun workplace
Director of Construction (Former Employee) –  Fremont, CAMarch 19, 2016
The working environment, management, and employees are second to none. A wonderful place to work. Internal growth and advancement is prized.
goal oriented yet fairly relaxed workplace
Customer Service Associate (Current Employee) –  Fairfield, CAJuly 12, 2016
In a typical day at work I assist wardrobe consultants with sales, ring up customers, and create group and individual tuxedo rentals. That being said my job has its challenges but it is also relatively easy once I got used to our P.O.S. and tuxedo reservation system. I have learned how to properly dress men as well as what to suggest for different weddings depending on roles, season, and wedding colors. Most of my coworkers are very nice and I get along well with them, with the exception of one. The hardest part of the job is getting Brides and Grooms to make decisions especially if we don't have exactly what they want available for rent. The most enjoyable part is meeting people and helping them get the wedding or look they want and watching them leave happy.
fun workplace when old guard was in charge
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Carle Place, NYJuly 31, 2016
1-as an asst manager I had to do a "shoulder" count every morning that means suits and sport coats, and send to corporate.
2-when staff arrived tried to get them up to speed with anything new asap.
3-trying to enforce rules equally but highest producers always got a pass from upper management
4-hardest part of job was leaving for reasons NY State Unemployment dept of Appeals found to be bogus. One man set me up and I was gone. Remember to kiss up to upper management or your career could be cut short.
Pros
annual trips to calif to unwind and learn about new season
Cons
For five years I really had no complaints about MW, . Only when middle management changede did whole mood of east coast stores changed
Very Productive Work Place
Operations Manager (Current Employee) –  Alexandria, VAFebruary 10, 2016
A typical day at work would include interacting with customers and helping them pick out wardrobe for certain events, such as interviews or work, weddings, black tie events, cooperate events, church events. This was the most enjoyable part because I was able to use my knowledge to educate the customer. As an Operations Manager I was able to do things outside of my job site such as bridal show expos and visiting high schools to do Dress for success seminars to teach the students how to prepare for interviews, whether college or a job. In the process of doing these seminars, it also helped me prepare for interviews also, whats appropriate and not appropriate.

In this job you work very closely with co-worker and management, so everyone becomes a family.

The hardest part of my job was learning how to accept that things aren't always going to be perfect and that I can't do everything by myself and that everyone needs help.
Casual and enjoyable work environment
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Columbia, SCDecember 14, 2015
A typical day consisted of setting up grooms with their wedding attire. Fitting and best matching suit options for customers. Troubleshooting and customer service. The hardest part of the job was the lack of upper leadership beyond the store or the ability to advance in the company.
Pros
Employee discount. Helping wedding parties. Enjoyable environment
Cons
Low advancement rate to management, Lack of concern for employee problems by higher managers
Decent Place to Start
Second Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Western Suburbs, Chicago, ILJune 20, 2016
I've been at MW for 6 years, and I've never forgotten the words I was told my first day by one of the best salesmen: "If this job teaches you anything, it's to stay in school." The company has a knack for sucking people away from school by offering a decent pay jump for people with the slightest amount of drive by making them salesmen. Sure, there have been guys who earn $50,000/year doing it, but they're usually the guys who are at the best stores and have been in sales for 20 years. You can make a decent buck working here, but ultimately, unless you want a career in selling men's clothing, get out as quickly as you can. The corporate culture has definitely gone downhill, everyone except Store and Regional managers are underpaid, and it's (usually) a fairly sexist environment.
Pros
Fairly easy advancement, casual environment
Cons
Inconsistent Schedule, mediocre pay, sexism is common
Best place to work!
Operations Manager (Former Employee) –  Erie, PADecember 10, 2015
Laid back environment with excellent training. If you are trainable and driven you will excel here!
This is a fantastic company that really takes care of its employees. Great in-store support.
Fantastic culture. Holiday parties, training trips to California, fun boxes mailed to stores during slow times, the list goes on.
This place was fantastic I wish I never left!
Pros
Laid back, Excellant training, support fro upper management, beautiful stores
Cons
open sunday
Fun Work Environment
Customer Service Associate (Current Employee) –  Anchorage, AKFebruary 11, 2016
I started on as a full time CSA; loved the people I worked with and my manager, for the time being. The manager at the time had relocated from Oregon and come to find out he hated being in Alaska so therefore he wasn't that great to work with or for. He was horrible at communication, he would change the schedule after it had already been posted and not tell anyone, constantly taking sales from Wardrobe Consultants. I'm back now, part time and absolutely love it. The Men's Wearhouse is an awesome laid back place if you have the right management and co-workers.
Pros
Playing Frisbee, Soccer Sundays
Fun, Family-like environment
Retail Associate (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAJuly 22, 2016
Mens Wearhouse is a comfortable exciting place, brings lots of happiness helping costumers plan an important day (weddings,proms,interview,christenings,ect.). The employees all were very nice and easy to work with. an average day was to book weddings by setting up the info for all the groomsmen renting tuxedos, taking measurements,picking styles and color to compliment the bride,groom, and wedding scheme, fitting the men in tuxedos, and taking deposits. the hardest thing to deal with was during prom season when most products are in such high demand, some orders that came into the store for pick-up did not have the correct style,size, or color which does not go well for the costumers; it does teach you how to deal with certain situations so everyone can be happy when they leave the store. management was always nice and respectful to those in position under them; i would just say the actual company higher up who make any changes to the company and its opportunities can tend to get over on you.
Cons
promotions