Menards Distribution Center

Menards Distribution Center Employee Reviews

Fun place to work okay people
Assistant Department Manager (Current Employee), Northwest, OhioJanuary 22, 2015
Okay place to work, busy. upper management has a problem with communication at times.
Okay place to work just don't plan on making it a career
Team Member (Former Employee), Plano, ILJanuary 13, 2015
Pros: decent money for entry level job, extra 2.50 an hour on saturdays and sunday and if you work past midnight on fridays, day goes by fast when there's a lot of work to do, you get to meet a lot of different people, a lot of overtime when it's busy in the spring and fall
Cons: cold weather, expensive insurance, weak managment, low raises, low chances for promotion
I must say that the way this place operates, at least when I worked there 7 years ago, is very weird. About 90% of the people that work there smoke and I didn't. The thing that was unfair about it is that the smokers seemed to never get in trouble for going over on break times whereas I was always getting in trouble for it because I didn't smoke. The hours are really weird. If you work second shift like I did, you work from 4:00pm until 2:30 am. All the full timers work 4 ten hour shifts. It sounds good at first but you get so worn out on the days that you work that you usually spend at least one of your days off just catching up on rest. When it's real busy they make you work 5 ten hour days. I thought about working day shift at one time but the hours for that shift are weird too from 5am until 3:30 in the afternoon. You basically show up to your building, you clock in at the time clock inside the warehouse area, then less than a minute later you have to punch a clock to get into the break room where you put your lunch and other personal belongings. You have to punch in and out of that break room so that they can make sure that you're not going over otherwise it gets deducted from your pay. You get a half hour lunch that is taken out but if you go over by just two minutes they deduct that out of your hours. Same thing with the two paid for 10 minute breaks. It may not seem like much but a couple minutes here and a couple minutes there pretty soon adds up to be some pretty big money. Who wants to go on break and have to watch the clock the whole time or set a timer. They also – more... only have bathrooms in the break rooms so anytime you have to go relieve yourself you're off the clock for that too. The one thing that is nice is that when they are real busy you can work unlimited overtime and make some pretty fat cash. I knew a guy that put in 90 hours one week. You also get an extra 2.50 an hour every Saturday, Sunday and anytime after midnight on Friday nights. And I must say, take advantage of that overtime while it lasts because once it gets slow around there they cut your hours back big time and you'll need the extra money to make up for it. They told me when I started that even when it was slow that I was guaranteed 40 hours but that was obviously a big fat lie. And make sure to have extra clothes at all times in your car or locker (gloves, socks, hats, coat, sweatshirt, thermal clothing, etc.) because it gets real cold in there in the winter time and even on some cooler evenings in the summer when the sun goes down. They do have heat but with all the docks open and the cold air coming in through the gaps it is very minimal. You can always take the extra clothing off if you get hot, but if you're cold and you don't have any of that stuff to keep you warmer you're pretty much destined to freeze all day. Trust me I got sent over to 278 which is the outdoor lumber yard twice and wasn't expecting to go over there because I usually worked inside. Anyway I wasn't dressed for the conditions and froze for 10 hours twice. So the bottom line with the weather is be prepared because you don't always know what the weather will change to, your assigned department, or assignment for the day. They tend to send you around to different departments when they're shorthanded and to also make you more universal. The raises aren't much at all. You get a 10 cent raise after your 3 month probation period then after one year and every year after that only get 10 cents. And it doesn't really pay to move up because even the supervisors and managers don't make much more than the team members. And if you do move up you'll have to work a lot more hours and it won't be optional it will be required. The one thing that's really weird is how people get away with so much there. You can have like 30 write ups in a 3 month period before they start to take disciplinary action against you with eventually being suspended and/or possibly terminated. You can have no-call no-shows and all they do is write you up. Most jobs i've had, if you do a no-call no-show you're pretty much fired right on the spot, no excuses and no explanations. And you don't really have to be qualified to move up to a supervisor or managment position. Most of them just have high school education and that's it. All you have to do is fit into to their group of friends and cliques and everything else is a piece of cake as far as that goes. Best advice I can give is that it is a great opportunity if you're just looking for a part-time job while you're in college, a second job if you have another professional full-time job, a summer job if you're in college, or just a temporary job if you're unemployed or right out of college and just need something to keep you afloat until you find a real job. Don't expect to make a career out of this place especially if you have a mortgage to pay and a family to support, because once they cut your hours, it will cause complications if you're depending on a fixed income. – less
Great work environment was team members worked
Team Member (Former Employee), Plano, ILOctober 30, 2014
Pros: great benefits
Cons: was too far of a drive for me.
It was a nice environment that I would have to work hard.
Team work is a great way to get a job done.
Management we great.
Co-workers was awesome.
Getting vans that weren't up to pair.
Throwing pallets.
Great co-workers, Fast paced, Long Days
Pallet Builder (Former Employee), Eau Claire, WISeptember 25, 2014
Pros: great pay
Cons: too much overtime
Nice place to work. Great pay and guranteed 40 hour week. Management was Good and co-workers were great. Very physically demanding job but days go by fast. Best part about this job is the pay
Always work to do.
Warehouse forklift operator (Former Employee), Shelby, IAAugust 18, 2014
Pros: two 15 minute brakes and one paid lunch break
Cons: they could order you to transfer to other buildings even if no experience.
Clock in and head straight to a forklift and log in to the computer system. Drive down to the supervisors desk and see what is on the daily agenda. Sometimes I would be unloading trucks or rounding up inventory and transporting it to cross docking. Did a lot of special orders and putting materials on the conveyor.
Repetitive work, poor management
General Laborer (Former Employee), Holiday City, OHJuly 1, 2014
Pros: good coworkers ensured training was thorough
Cons: very poor management
Each task was very repetitive; it was demanding at times, such as if you were unloading backhauls and exposed to the elements. Very poor management lead to a strong dislike of working in this environment. Management hardly done their job and did not ensure that the facility was orderly (I myself came up with a few ideas to improve work quality and speed, but fell of deaf ears). On a good note, coworkers were kind and trained the newcomers (as opposed to the management as the workers themselves could perform better than management at the various tasks)
Its a decent job
Truck Unloader (Current Employee), Eau Claire, WIJune 25, 2014
Pros: profit sharing available and easily attainable
Cons: not available
Its a good job that offers plenty of hours of over time during busy parts of the year.
A typical day at the job you will be unloading a trailer or moving product around the warehouse.
Good Place to work.
Maintenance Technician (Former Employee), Eau Claire, WIMay 19, 2014
Good place with good people the equipment was esy to work and easy to lock out
No one seemed to want to be there
employee (Former Employee), Holiday City, OHMay 16, 2014
Pros: friendly people
Cons: short breaks, no reasonable schedualing
Was easy work, a bit mind numbing, people where friendly but it was very tiring and stressed
It's an ok place to work
Fork Lift Operator (Current Employee), Plano, ILMay 11, 2014
Pros: good people to work with
Cons: very poor training
The place has good people who are will to work with you if you need help, the thing that bothers me though and the reason i want to quit is because they don't train you hardly at all, just give you basic instructions and assume you can figure it out. I don't like that.
picking ordered items for Menard stores
Order Puller (Former Employee), Eau Claire, WIMarch 27, 2014
Pros: hoilday pay, pay
Cons: heavy lifting, they do not rehire
Good hours, order picker, fast pace, attention to detail and accuracy. Lots of heavy lifting. Treated like numbers instead of people. Co-workers friendly, Most enjoyable part was the people and order picking, I love the fast pace. Hardest parts where heavy lifting.
good people
Distribution Center Manager (Current Employee), Sterling, ILMarch 4, 2014
good hours could have better benfits. can be stressful. great people
It's a warehouse
Shipping/Receiving/Material Handler (Former Employee), Plano, ILJanuary 31, 2014
Pros: excellent benefit package
Typical warehouse job
Shipping/Receiving
Hardest part of the job was dealing with the drug addicts
The enjoyable part of the job was that once you learned it, it became second nature
Management was very helpful
Warehouse
Conveyable Shipping/Office Assistant (Former Employee), Eau Claire, WIDecember 27, 2013
Favorite job
Learned how a warehouse works
Management was good
Liked my coworkers
Great job to have in college
Forklift Operator (Former Employee), Eau Claire, WIDecember 10, 2013
Pros: cool people
Cons: low pay
I met a lot of great people there. The pay was low but not bad for someone with no skills.
Bad
Warehouse/Forklift Operator (Current Employee), Plano, ILNovember 1, 2013
Pros: pay
Cons: management
Terrible management, long hours, terrible co-workers,dirty warehouse
wonderful office environment
o Secretary (Former Employee), Shelby, IASeptember 18, 2013
Pros: hours, bonus program, job duties
Cons: little advancement in the office
a typical day involved processing driver paperwork for merchandise dropped off at the Distribution Center, assigning docks, empty trailers, data enty, emailing, answering phones, working with competent people in a positive environment. Also, walked paperwork to departments when needed, filed and organized paperwork and assisted in other departments/buildings when asked.
Fast pace work environment, enjoyable to work at.
Sortation, Product Runner, and Machinery Operator (Former Employee), Yorkville, ILJuly 24, 2013
Pros: welcoming environment, structured management
A typical day at Menards DC consists of wrapping pallets, unloading and loading trailers, and keeping up with the orders needing to be shipped, if you enjoy a fast pace environment that requires to be on your toes at all times, this is your place. I've learned the basics of running a forklift here and a powertug. Management is a tight well structured team. The co workers were very welcoming. The hardest part of the job would be making sure your team kept pace ensuring the lines kept running. The most enjoyable part of the job would be operating machinery such as forklifts and power tugs.
Great Starter Job
Trainer (Current Employee), Plano, ILJuly 19, 2013
Pros: starter job.
Cons: lack of common sense and safety. no balance of family due to mandatory overtime.
Show up and do your job and you will do fine. Management is young and in experienced as well as fellow co-workers. The weather is the hardest part of the job. If you do your job you usually get left alone.
A company that does'nt care about its employees
Forklift operator (Former Employee), Plano, ILJuly 15, 2013
Pros: driving a forklift all day
Cons: healthcare through the company was expensive
Start time was 5am, end time was 3:30pm. I would load flatbed trailers or vans all day sometimes having to tarp them. Some days I would unload flats, vans or train cars. I learned to be very cautious and productive forklift driver over my ten years of operating one. the management there is terrible. None of them seem to know what is going on, or, how to actually manage anything. They give no incentive or compliments for work done. They only care about their bonuses. My co-workers for the most part were a great group of guys. The hardest part of the job was working outside year round and getting paid the same as other employees who worked inside. Also, how often they would changed the schedules, start times and rules. The most enjoyable parts were overtime and instant profit sharing.

Menards Distribution Center Salaries