Menards Employee Reviews in United States

Found 2,060 reviews matching the search
Great place to be at,
ASSISTANT DEPARTMENT RECIEVING MANAGER (Current Employee) –  Avon, INMay 2, 2016
Customers are friendly, hard to find things if you are new, yearly bonuses are worth working for. I shop there constantly even if im not working
average
Load Builder (Former Employee) –  Homer Glen, ILMay 1, 2016
This was an average retail job and it is not the best place to work but also not the worst job I've ever had. Made life long friends
Shipping and receiving
Shipping and receiving (Former Employee) –  Rhinelander, WIApril 29, 2016
Worked in shipping and receiving unloading trucks, sorting out freight, and loading trucks for shipment. I drove forklifts when loading and unloading trucks.
Okay at first
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Glendale Heights, ILApril 28, 2016
When I started out at Menards it was great. I loved my co workers and I had 2 managers that were great. But as time went on, the job became very demanding. They get angry if you request days off. And if you close, dont expect to leave before 11 on week days and 12:30 on weekends. One manager & Head Cashier are VERY unpleasant to work with & make coming into work a nightmare. You also get nit picked constantly for everything. But on the plus side, co-workers are very nice, we were pretty much one big family and I loved it.
Pros
Co-workers, Discount
Cons
Short lunch
Productive and they teach you something new everyday
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Saint Joseph, MOApril 27, 2016
Everybody was very friendly and you learned to work with others to get the job done. I leaned how to organize, open the store, work with others, and how to deal with people on a daily basis. I checked out guest, opened all the cash registers in the morning, and printed off all reports and signs in the morning.
producive and very physical job
Building Material Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Madison, WIApril 26, 2016
this job required a lot of physical lifting and a lot of social skills when interacting with customers. not hard hours and had a very good management and staff.
Pros
co workers and management
awful
Head Cashier (Former Employee) –  Lafayette, INApril 26, 2016
just awful. don't do it. manager was awful and the gm was awful. its impossible to want to do better when your gm does not care about you or your position.
easy going workplace
Head Cashier (Former Employee) –  Sidney, OHApril 26, 2016
As a cashier there is a lot of responsibilities but I enjoyed helping the customers in any way that I could. All of the co-workers seemed to work well together which made the work environment easy going on most day.
PIT Operator (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INApril 26, 2016
Great company for anyone who is willing to work. Excellent training programs, and truly an open door policy style work place.
Don't stay too long
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  MNApril 25, 2016
I feel bad saying this because the environment at meandrous is usually quite positive, but do not stay longer than a few years at menards. You will be forced to work 50-60 hour weeks to make the same money you can in other places.
Pros
Weekend bonus pay
Cons
Bad regular pay, long hours, sometimes very uncultured and uneducated coworkers
Good place, poor upper management
Receiver (Current Employee) –  Indianapolis, INApril 23, 2016
Typical day involves unloading DC trucks with forklifts, breaking down freight and taking it to sales departments, assisting guest with orders. Being able to stay patient and fluent with the task at hand is always crucial since forklifts can sometimes be not-so forgiving. Also having a guest becoming impatient can become unnerving. Upper management (store managers) have chased off so many team members and have lost respect from department managers and it shows. Hardest part is when previous shift workers do not do as told and makes the next persons job harder.
Pros
decent pay, steady work environment
Cons
upper management micromanaging
Experience in customer service
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Griffith, INApril 21, 2016
Typical day of work depending on your position would be assisting guests in finding products, checking them out at the register, and or processing returns.
there is a sense of loyalty to one another that you wont feel at any another job
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Detroit Lakes, MNApril 21, 2016
Its a corporation people fall through the cracks but what else does one expect the company does the best that it can. great place to learn costumer service.
Pros
everybody has your back
Cons
short lunches random hours
productive and friendly atmosphere
Night Stocker (Current Employee) –  Valparaiso, INApril 21, 2016
My typical day is taking freight off pallets that were delivered today and stocking those items on the shelves. If a product is unable to fight on the sales floor then we make an over stock tag with the product SKU number and quantity of the product. I must also make sure all the shelves are full and products are faced to provide the best store we can to our guests. I don't just handle product though. I also help guests with any questions they may have. We offer friendly and efficient service to our guests for the best experience they can have at our store. The coworkers are really great. It is like we are all one big family. They work hard and are always on the job. Not only are my department managers excellent bosses but the store managers are as well. They are always making sure our store is the best it can be and they are the reason our store runs smoothly. The hardest part of the job is not being on the job. At the end of the day I love working at Menards. It is like a second home.
Pros
Friendly atmosphere, paid breaks, premium pay on weekends
Cons
Not offered full time or part time
It was really fun,and i gained valueable experience working for menards,and i feel it will only help me on my next job.
Building Materials (Former Employee) –  Sandusky, OHApril 20, 2016
A typical day at work would consist of being on time and completing my job to the best of my ability which includes working well with my co - workers,and customers . I learned you dont have to do everything by yourself if you communicate in a positive manner with your team and pay attention detail. I feel manangement is very important because they are always there to help,and assist you in anyway that can make your daily operation run in a professional way.The hardest part of the job is thinking you have to be perfect and do everthing by yourself, when you have your your co- workers ,and management to help,and assist you in any way to help you get the job done.The most enjoyable part of the job has to be being around a group of productive peolple,and doing my job to the best of my ability to ensure the customer is satisfied.
Pros
Lunch, gain more experience, able to pay my bills.
Cons
smoke-free
productive place to work
Lumber Yard Associate (Former Employee) –  West Saint Paul, MN 55118April 20, 2016
busy all the time, loading, lifting, stacking. hardest part of the job was getting everything done. i learned a lot of my customer service skills working there, they really drive that into you.
positive workplace
TEAM MEMBER (Former Employee) –  Lima, OHApril 20, 2016
learned the importance of working in groups to receive a common goal. • Prioritized helping customers over completing other routine tasks in the store.
• Professionally and patiently addressed unsatisfied customers’ feedback.
• Built relationships with customers to increase likelihood of repeat business.
• Completed all cleaning, stocking, and organizing tasks in assigned sales area.
• Wrote sales slips and sales contracts.
Pros
annual bonuses, raise, weekend pay, management training
Good and Bad
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INApril 20, 2016
the Job had great benefits but there were a couple bad apples in management. overall great place to work. They have a great break schedule and raise schedule.
Pros
room for advancement
Cons
favoritism
Enjoyable workplace environment and staff
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Anderson, INApril 19, 2016
I enjoy working with most co-workers. Some of the management is too laid back, some is too strict. The management program at Menards could use some adjusting. Often managers (and other team members) are not trained properly, which results in lost sales. A typical day at work is usually not bad. Busy days are difficult because the store is often short staffed. There is always plenty of work to be done, which makes the work day more enjoyable and pass faster. I also believe Menards compensates its employees very fairly.
Menards Cashier and Yard Worker
Cashier and Yard worker (Former Employee) –  North Platte, NEApril 18, 2016
I feel like they need to reevaluate and add some job enrichment to the cashier position often times they are not helping customers and are stuck in their "Line" like a jail cell and not being productive. The compensation is good depending on your position. The cashiers can make up to $11 an hour on the weekend pay, while the harder working receiving workers make only $12 so I felt the compensation system needed attention. Often times our managers wouldn't fix our machinery because it took money out of their bonuses so we were operating on half hazard units.
Pros
Work Experience
Cons
Poor Management, Poor Compensation