Menards Employee Reviews

Found 2,214 reviews matching the search
Good prospects if you like the work
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Maplewood, MNMarch 13, 2016
With any degree, or a few years of experience, it is easy to become a manager. If you work hard, and your department is profitable, you can make a great living.

The main problem is that managers are required to work a number of opening shifts and closing shifts each week, so you never really get a consistent sleep schedule. The culture is definitely blue collar, which may or may not conflict with people who are college educated. You are also disallowed from working as a contractor, which kills any option of having a profitable side job.
Pros
Opportunities for advancement
Cons
Questionable job culture, hard schedule
Poor Care for workers
Sales Associate/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Johnson Creek, WIApril 5, 2016
Although Menards is a great place to shop, they lack in overall care for employees. The pay is great, along with the availability to have time off every other weekend. The downside is the fact that you can be great in your department, but moved at no notice at all. The management is not family oriented, but the coworkers were quite nice. The hardest part of the job was having to put up electrical displays alone, with no room for error due to the nature of the display. The most enjoyable part of the job was the information learned while there.
Pros
Room for advancement
Cons
Poor scheduling
Good work environment, with good people
Assistant Floorcoverings Department Manager (Former Employee) –  Forsyth, ILApril 5, 2016
Management can improve, I felt I was demanded to do more then my job title, and pay grade. There are a lot of opportunity and room for promotion. co-workers are nice for the most part.I learned a lot about guest service, and how to manage. The hardest part would be holding my tongue when a guests insists they are always right. I would say the one thing I enjoyed the most was the IPS checks each year.
Pros
There are none
Cons
Management doesn't care
Not great
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Plano, ILMarch 31, 2016
Some supervisors hardly work, Some managers are even worse. Most team members are great people and a joy to work with but the management has some of the most unreal expectations and push everyone too hard. Hours are tough, 1st shift begins at 4:45am and second shift ends at 2:30am. Pay is mediocre compared to other warehouse jobs around the area. Warehouse even lacks equipment needed to get the job done. Many team members have to work on foot all day.
Cons
Benefits, Hours, Management, lack of equipment
Productive workplace with great career opportunity
Management Trainee (Current Employee) –  Wichita, KSFebruary 10, 2016
If you are looking for challenging environment with great career opportunity, Menards offer everything. Starting from every day training, we have to go through test and in home training to learn more.
Co workers are really fun to work with. Most of the managers have experience of working 5 to 7 years with Menards. Everyone is happy with wages and benefits. The hardest part is staining for a long time, which I guess you have to face everywhere.
Pros
Adjustable schedule, career opportunity, on the job training
Corporate Structure with Private Control
Assistant Department Manager (Former Employee) –  Burnsville, MNJanuary 12, 2016
Stereotypical corporate retail company.
Privately owned and operated so employees are treated like pawns with little respect.
Pathetic and over emphasized profit sharing and bonus structure that preys on those with feeble minds who fail to understand opportunity cost.
Less than ideal hours and a requirement to work every other weekend once your in management or as a full-time employee.
Selling poorly made Chinese junk is there specialty.
The hardest part of the job is showing up everyday pretending that you actually enjoy the work.
Pros
If you can stay dedicated for a decade you could possibly become a GM
Cons
It is retail. The format for compensation is disappointing
Was good for a couple years, but not a career!
Hardware Department Manager (Former Employee) –  Eden Prairie, MNJanuary 21, 2016
There is a complete disconnect between the stores and corporate. At the store level, for the most part everything was fine. Corporate has unrealistic expectations and are very frustrating.

You will literally live your entire life at Menards. There were weeks that I worked over 70 hours. More typical is about 55-60. They do pay hourly at least so at least you get paid for it. When I went through the Manager in training program they told me there is potential to be a general manager and making 6 figures within 5 years. That is a bold faced lie. In fact they blocked me from several promotions that I was qualified for because they wanted me to move out of state. I'm sorry, but this job is certainly not worth uprooting your family and moving a few states away for.

It is not uncommon to work a shift like 10 am to 10:30 pm or even 8 am to 10:30 pm and then you're expected to be back there to start at 6:30 am the following morning. When do you sleep?
Pros
I learned a lot about home improvement, profit sharing
Cons
long hours, no sleep, thankless job
Educational and great experience
1st Asst. Manager (Former Employee) –  Wichita, KSApril 5, 2016
I would go into work, open the day, put all the drawers out, make sure my employees who open are here, set the daily schedule on who all Is coming in, check emails, make sure the money is out, once the morning paper work is given to all managers I will go to Account payable, order money if needed, work with customers solving problems, assign work to all my employees as they come in normally around 8-Noon my bulk of employees are clocking in. My assistant manager or the Manager will come in and we will both do half duties for day. if I close I clean up all money and get employees out as quick as I can to save payroll and meet our numbers and guidelines, make sure all departments are gone money secure, closed the day out, all doors are locked by GM then close the store and lock up.
Pros
Great communication and long time friendships
Cons
short breaks, healthcare benefits are not good
Overall great working experience
sales man/ kitchen designer (Current Employee) –  Aurora, ILNovember 3, 2015
Great work place, management are extremely patient with workers by working with us and improving workers work ethic. I'm currently a computer kitchen designer, I've completed a preparing for advancement course. The most difficult part about working at Menards is not being able to help a customer due to availability. Im eager to say the most enjoyable part of my job is learning new about the company and learning how to better my guest.
Pros
laid-back work area, very friendly and supportive co workers
Cons
Not many benefits, hard to advance in company due to limited positions availability.
Great Company with Opportunity for Advancement
Team Member (Current Employee) –  Defiance, OHOctober 11, 2015
I typically down stock any overstock items or products in the mega racks so that the shelves are full and the items rotated and faced. I will also help with morning stock when needed but our first priority is to make sure our guests get great customer service. Management is divided up by departments so I typically interact more with my department manager than any other manager. As a large store there are some co-workers that you sometimes see in passing and others that you work with on a regular basis. Working with other team members and improving my problem solving skills is the most enjoyable part of the job. Job is usually pretty monotonous.
Pros
Great advancement opportunities, benefits, team work
Cons
Monotonous, sometimes physically challenging
Run by Adolescents
Manager (Former Employee) –  IndianaSeptember 19, 2015
Menards paid very well when I worked there, but you had to sacrifice work/life balance to get that pay. I resigned just after opening a new store. At the time I had gone three months without a day off. During my last week with the company, I worked 94 hours. Every other weekend I worked a 17 hour Saturday and then a 12 hour Sunday. It was fine at the time because I was young and wanted the money, but it wasn't a viable career option long-term. The most difficult part of working with Menards was the atmosphere created by the upper management. Unless something wasn't going right, they were a lot of fun - but in the way that being a teenager sneaking out of the house was fun. I once followed a member of high level management on a tour of a competitor's facility and witnessed him stealing a list of contacts from an unattended desk. This behavior would have been funny if I'd seen it on tv, but it was far less charming in real life.
Pros
Easy to rake in a lot of money
Cons
terrible work/life balance, bizarre culture
Fair job for college students, not great for a long term career
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Morton Grove, ILDecember 18, 2015
I have worked for Menard's Inc. for about eight years now, before and during college. The only pro of this company is that it pays decent for a part time job, but management at the levels of the departments as well as general management are often very rude, disrespectful, and cruel to their employees. You are expected to take the abuse and shut up. If you have a family emergency and cannot work on a day that you were scheduled, you are not excused and will receive points which add up until you reach 10 and face termination. The same goes for car breakdowns, traffic, whatever the case may be.Don't expect to leave on time when you're closing, they keep you very late. During the slow seasons, they could care less if you have hours, they'll cut your hours and send you home constantly. The only pros are the Instant profit sharing at the end of the year if you've worked 1,000 hours and the flexibility for part times, but part times get no benefits or vacation time.
Menard's was a pretty good place to work that had it's share of both good days and bad days.
Retail Sales Associate- (Former Employee) –  Mount Prospect, ILMarch 20, 2016
A typical day at work started with making sure all freight was done by 9 a.m.;trucks would show up at all hours of the day.Management was fine up until about 6 months ago,then new asst.manager was hired to come in and shakes things up.I learned how to manage time,depending on what needed to be done(freight,etc.) My co-workers were for the most part,very cool,and easy to get along with.The hardest part was trying to understand some of the customers who didn't speak or understand English.The most enjoyable part of the job was a feeling of accomplishment at the end of the day.
Pros
Instant Profit Sharing, every other weekend off.
Cons
A one-way 401(K) situation(did not match employee's contribution), had a pretty fair share of employee turnover.
Could be better
Delivery Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Superior, WIJanuary 9, 2016
Company wants you to eat, sleep, and breath Menards without much compensation. Upper management never takes responsibility but doesn't mind dishing out blame to others. Upper management at Menards usually consists of high school educated people or ex-military people that don't have the ability to come up with an original thought. Only thing that makes this place somewhat enjoyable is good employees that you wont see in a year because they are smart enough to get a better paying job elsewhere.
Pros
read above
Cons
read above
General Management doesnt take job seriously at all
Delivery Coordinator and Sales Team Member (Former Employee) –  Tipp City, OHDecember 3, 2015
Menards is supposed to be a company where guests are first and money comes second. However the head GM and 1st assistant at the Tipp City Menards walks all over other team members and makes coming to work something to fear and dread. There are plenty of capable leaders and managers within the departments and the 2nd assistant GM, however they are powerless against the two higher ups making it impossible for anything good to come out of a days work. They keep their workers late after closing hours even when they could of been more prepared and done their duties throughout the day rather than pick on singular team members and singling out departments. They wonder why so many left the store. but the answer is obvious.
Pros
I liked being able to help others
Cons
bad management, only two 10 min breaks, long hours even as part time and not set schedules
part time sales associate
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Evergreen Park, ILMarch 21, 2016
Working for Menard's was awesome job, and while there I learned so much about each department. My stay with Menard's was a great experience and I received high recommendations from management, also customers favored me because of my willingness and my going the extra mile to find there needs. I was a great team member because Im witty and had a understanding of what needed to be done and by what time it had to be done; I was there seasoned leader. The hardest part of my job was taking the blame for my team members and telling a customer I'm sorry for their mistake, but it seemed to work every time because the customer always thanked me and came back.
Pros
incentives, move up within the store
Exciting place to work for
shipping receiving (Current Employee) –  Columbus, INNovember 16, 2015
A typical day at Menards is there is something always going on from breaking freight when the trucks come in and we unload them and break them down. Some days there wont be any trucks we usually clean around make everything clean that's Menards biggest aspect is cleanliness it is always clean. I have learned a lot working at Menards from how to greet customers how to approach them in a positive way. The management at Menards is terrific they work with you they talk to you they help you and they work hard for you with out them it would be so difficult to work with out any guidance from the mangers. My co-workers are great there always on time and they appreciate what they do. The hardest part of the day is rushing to get things done at the end of the day. You don't know if another truck is coming in guest might need help getting something down there is so much stuff that we have to do at the end of the day. The most enjoyable part of my job is helping guest without the guest we wouldn't have a job so I make sure every guest I meet I will make sure they will have the best experience at Menards.
Pros
Its a wonderful place to work at you get good benifits
Cons
i cant start my 401k till i reach 21
Fun job and great people
Cashier, Service Desk Cashier (Former Employee) –  Winona, MNJanuary 7, 2016
I loved my coworkers so much, and the guests that came into the store were awesome. My problem was with management. They were disrespectful and had favorites, and it was really hard to deal with guests when they go over your head and allow things that are against policy. When they have a problem with you, they never tell you. They just talked about it behind your back.
Pros
Lunch, discount, awesome benefits and gifts
Cons
Managers, you have to always do more and you get no thank you or anything.
Fun for the most part. Great for learning things I would need to know for the future
Floorcoverings Team Member (Former Employee) –  Apple Valley, MNMarch 20, 2016
The hour shifts would go by in a breeze because there is always something to do.

I learned a lot about Floorcoverings because I worked in that department and about window shades because that was part of the department for some reason.

Management was not that good. They would pick on specific people about things and not other people when they would do something wrong because they were buddy buddy with them.

The people who I worked with directly were great and really was really great to learn from them.

The hardest part of my job was the physical labor which (at least to me) wasn't really that bad.

The most enjoyable part of my job was selling a product that I knew to people who needed it. Leaning the product I was selling was extremely important because it was all home improvement items so if it didn't work, they would know immediately and would come blame me (rightfully so.)
Pros
Great people in my department and others
Cons
Management for the most part
Very flexible with hours
Morning Stock (Current Employee) –  Fort Wayne, INAugust 18, 2016
Here at Menards there is always something to do or work on. You will never have an excuse to run short on funds because if you need the money, you can work more hours.

Not only that, but if you so desire, there are a few new Menards stores opening every year somewhere on the country. After you have worked for Menards for a couple years, you could opt in to advance into a management position.

I myself have opted not to go for management because I have been putting the vast majority into my schooling so I can finish strong.

Excellent employer. If you are going for your first or second job, I would highly recommend this company.

The Morning Stock hours are very early but it's kind of nice to go in really early, work seven or eight hours and get off at noon or one.
Pros
Very flexible with hours
Cons
The inventory system is definitely ineffective.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Menards. Our community is ready to answer.