Menards Employee Reviews

Found 2,460 reviews matching the search
Great place to work!
Morning Stocker (Current Employee) –  Marshall, MNDecember 9, 2016
Lots of fun projects to work on. Excellent store manager. Great co-workers and customers. Good starting wage. Great way to learn about home ownership. An educational experience.
Pros
Lots of hours available.
Cons
Not a photography job.
Loyal customers due to excellent work force
Forklift Operator/Warehouse (Former Employee) –  Toledo, OHDecember 9, 2016
I would arrive at work, clock in, and get a list of duties from the manager. I then would head out to the lumber yard and start working down the list while taking care of any customers that would come out back. Anything they needed I would help find, load, and answer questions about the materials. My co-workers were hard working and helpful, morale was good. Our customers really enjoyed our company and wouldn't shop anywhere else if we carried what they needed.
Pros
10% discount, weekly pay
Cons
Vinyl siding being on the second tier of the lumber barn, it didn't seem to make much sense but I dealt with it just fine.
Nice job
Receiver (Former Employee) –  Muskegon, MIDecember 9, 2016
Fun place to work. Great if you're going to school. Slow down season can make work tediously slow but summer is very busy. Coworkers are great, easy to get along with.
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Princeton, INDecember 8, 2016
Everyone is a team, we work together and everyone is friendly. A typical day for me is greeting guests, checking them out, having a conversation with them and taking money.
Relaxed and fun workplace
Stocker/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Columbus, INDecember 8, 2016
I enjoyed my time at Menards. Overall a good place to work, but they do not pay well at all. They demand neatness in dress and encourage employees to always meet the needs of the guests.
Menards is a temporary gig
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILDecember 7, 2016
Good place for a temp job to get yourself situated while working on your career. Be prepared with schedule conflicts if working in the Front-End department. You are forced to stay an extra hour or so from what you are normally scheduled doing returns. Management does not bother to listen to team members concerns or issues. A lot of attitude and passive aggression is given towards team members as well
Pros
There aren't any
Cons
Fun place and the people I've worked with were great.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Wausau, WIDecember 7, 2016
Work environment was good and safe
Learned many sales techniques
Good leadership from my department manager
Worked well and got along with all my co-workers
When I had to run the department all by myself for a few hours
When I make a big sale and is awarded
Pros
Took lunch whenever I wanted
Cons
Staying longer than scheduled hours
Great first job
Department Manager (Former Employee) –  Bradley, ILDecember 7, 2016
A family-owned company started in 1958, Menards is a chain of home improvement centers primarily in the Midwestern United States. The privately held company, headquartered in Eau Claire, Wisconsin, has approximately 300 stores in 14 states.
They like to crosstrain into all departments
Down Stocker (Current Employee) –  Eden Prairie, MNDecember 5, 2016
I have worked part time for Menards they have Always worked with my full time job. I have the most wonderful boss that works right along side all his employees. The attendance can be rough if you don't like to work. Other wise they are very realistic with the policy
Pros
Super fun place to work
Cons
discounts have to be deducted from your check no cash during time of pruchase
Easy and hard working job
Hardware Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Ankeny, IADecember 4, 2016
Typical day at work consists of unloading pallets and helping the customers.The management is average at best, they care but I know half of them are their for money and not much else. Co-workers are out of this world. Hardest part of the job is and easy one: just be on time. Most enjoyable part would have to be the co-workers.
Fun place to work
Sales (Current Employee) –  Gurnee, IllinoisDecember 2, 2016
Great people to work with. It is good work environment. Management and other team members are always willing to help in what is needed. I have been there for a little over two years and have no negative comments
Fast paced
Sales (Former Employee) –  Effingham, ILDecember 2, 2016
If you like to work with people it is good because you meet a lot of nice people not a good mix of work and family and the pay could be better they do have profit sharing witch was nice.
Pros
Profit Sharing, helping people
Cons
Not enough pay and not good balance between work and family.
Pretty cool job
Assistant Department Manager (Current Employee) –  Indianapolis, INDecember 1, 2016
I like working here the job is very easy and they actually care about the employees they send u gifts on every holiday I love it and if you decide to work there u will too
Nightmare of a work place.
Yard Worker (Former Employee) –  Grand Forks, NDNovember 30, 2016
Menards is one of the worst places I have ever worked at. Basically it's nothing like they try to make it sound during orientation. The points system is flawed to mention a few things. Expect very short breaks and long days after more long days. The work is tedious and lacks serious direction. There was nothing enjoyable at this place. Basically everything is just unorganized and you're expected to learn about everything on your own. You'd be scheduled to work with a ton of other people on the slowest days and only 1 or 2 others on the busiest of days. All in all I think menards is a bad place to work.
Pros
Great co workers
Cons
God awful management, lack of leadership, very short breaks, long hours, poor scheduling, company policies
Great place to work if you dont have kids
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Antioch, ILNovember 30, 2016
If you can work a completely open schedule there are lots of opportunities for advancement. If you are a single parent who has a set schedule to be home with your kids, you can only be classified as part time no matter how many hours you work.
productive work environment
Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  Milwaukee, WINovember 30, 2016
work 6-3 mon-thur, its a steady work place, a lot of different things to learn as far construction and around the house projects. been a good three years of working
Definitely worth a look
Plumbing Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Eden Prairie, MNNovember 30, 2016
Your day will always start with helping guests and then the focus shifts to department maintenance with tasks like price adjusting, stocking and cleaning shelves, merchandising and inventory. I am not sure my experiences are the norm for Menards but ultimately if you want a position in a growing company Menards is pretty solid. I you work hard they will promote you. A lot to learn but studying really pays off.
Pros
store is big beautiful and requires a lot of exercise. you will lose weight.
Cons
Upper management. Flex team.
sales
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Kewanee, ILNovember 30, 2016
is a good quality retail provider that focus on their customers on a daily and solid basis. In regards to building relationships and making sure the customer is able to find what they are looking for
Hard work and need to meet quotas
Wood Inspection (Former Employee) –  Holiday City, OHNovember 28, 2016
Fast paced jobs would make the day go by, but the managers acted like we were just a number and were machines. Driving forklift was the best part of the job.
Pros
Driving forklift
Cons
Not driving will break your back
Great atmosphere, good pay.
Hardware Sales (Current Employee) –  Miamisburg, OHNovember 28, 2016
They give you two 10 minute paid breaks and a 30 minute unpaid lunch, but not many people take the breaks because they seem too short. The overall atmosphere is nice but some people put on fake smiles in order to maintain it. The base hourly pay is low but you get +$2.50/hr for working on weekends, putting it up to average. There is also profit sharing which is basically an extra paycheck each February, and an option of earning $250+ each year in store credit for showing up on time during spring.Good place to start out if you need retail experience. However, their rules and policies don't seem to be set in stone. (aka, not by-the-book) They always have music on but have ads for menards playing about every half hour. They also send you presents for each holiday in the mail.
Pros
manager training program
Cons
many people dont take breaks

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Menards. Our community is ready to answer.