Menards Employee Reviews

Found 1,435 reviews matching the search
Never worked for such a disorganized company and a hostile work enivronment in my life!
Full Time Sales (Former Employee) –  Carpentersville, ILNovember 20, 2014
This job is the typical dead end job unless your in corporate. They use IPS and just enough benefits to lure unsuspecting people in, but it doesn't make up for the lack of pay and perks, no work/life balance, and the harassment you have to put up with daily there from rude customers and clueless co-workers/bosses. All their money and benefits isn't worth your time and sanity to stay here in the long run. Management is a joke and most are unqualified for the position. Alot of managers are lazy, liars, lack ethics & professionalism, play favoritism, micromanage, clueless on how to run a business, and don't appreciate & are disrespectable to employees. Few managers have anything positive to say or acknowledgement for things done right, always point out what's wrong using negative reinforcement. Some managers and co-workers are cool though and plotting there way out for something better. There is no accentive to move into management and the contracts managers have to sign are ridiciulous and even break labor laws. In general, management has no life since they work 55+ hrs every week, fined for every petty incident, must relocate stores constantly to move up, and follow ridiculous policies & procedures from the corporate, no thanks! High turnover due to workers being burnt out/overworked, stressed out, and/or no job security from there write up happy policies & procedures for petty things. Corporate runs this place based on fear from them from there crazy policy and procedures which change daily. There is no sense of vision or direction and a lack of accomplishment. Pay is low for  more... the amount of work you do, especially for managers (start at $12/hr) and workers with college degrees. OT and the bounses, if you don't get fined, somewhat makeup for the lack of base pay but not worth getting burnt out for. Likewise, benefits for full timers are sub par, such as no personal/sick days, lack of vacation days your first several years, terrible health insurance coverage and high cost to you, no 401K match, employee discount is out of your paycheck, and any bonus or reward is store credit or clothing instead of money. The issues with the computer scheduling system are ridiculous in a company this size. I had nothing but problems with scheduling when I was there like working 8-10 days in a row. The long hours they schedule you for (10 or more hrs) make you burn out very quickly and they keep the stores understaffed so managers get bigger bounses. This leads to customers not getting helped. GO's give out so many projects and tasks that they are impossible to complete in a timely manor and with limited personel. Menards lacks good job training and they pretty much feed you out to the wolves and let you learn on the fly which again leads to many unhappy customers. For such a disoranzied company and having a outdated management style, I don't get how this place is still in buniness? All in all, Menards is not an employee friendly place and is more like a blend of a Chinese sweatshop and a military lifestyle without the benefits. Stay clear of working here!  less
Pros
ips, weekend pay increase, holiday gifts, some co-workers
Cons
incompetant management, "big brother" corporation, low pay, benefits, job training non-existant, poor scheduling system, no work/life balance, impossible goals in unrealistic timelines, rude customers, leads to high stress and low self esteem

Comment – November 28, 2014

By the way, PLEASE stop playing the Menard's Jingle evey 5 minutes! It gets annoying and drives you nuts. I think everyone knows your slogan. Also, change up the music playlist more often! I was tired of hearing the same melo bubble gum pop and boy band songs played over and over. News flash, they stink, have no talent, and nobody listens to them except teenage and college aged girls! Play some hard music like rock! Your a hardware store, not Hollister.

Worst Place Ever
Morning Stock (Current Employee) –  Ottumwa IowaApril 6, 2013
Start off the day at 5am. Put away freight if there is any. Sometimes there is none at all so you attempt to look busy until they get something which could be later in the day when you are getting ready to clock out. Only one forklift in this whole place to tend to all the departments and guests. They are to cheap to get another forklift evidently so it makes it hard to get anything done however it usually is blamed on me the morning stocker as to why something was not done. They play favorites here in this store,there was two managers who put in word for me to become a sales person whoever that was several months ago and nothing more has been said or even attempted to remind the hr lady about this posistion. The hr lady won't promote you to anything unless you are her friend on Facebook or booze buddy who partys with you then you get treated like a king but anyone else forget it. There is too many people at this place wanting to play "boss man" and take breaks with the "managers" for half hour but yet the people that do this in my department are not "managers" or even "assistant managers" but yet they evidently get the privelege of carrying around the radio and phone and telling me what to do on a daily basis. Must be nice. I am actively searching for another job at this time because they pay sucks, the hours suck, too many lazy people who like to flaunt their weight around and act bossy and do absolutely nothing but stand around and talk to the person down in electrical all morning or go around and talk to their boyfriend on the scrubber who is the janitor. This place will  more... blame the morning stocker if one thing is out of place or missing they will question you several different ways with several different people from accounts payable to assistant manager about the item missing or if you have seen it or do you remember seeing it etc and they won't let this up until it's found. Basically you are the suspect. Sometimes you will get an extra hour say 5-10 but other than that don't count on anything more. You get a 10 cent raise now and then I think every 6 months but that ain't much either. That usually don't take effect right away either. Too many people stand around the front desk and talk all day, receiving people put freight on the wrong carts so you usually end up taking other departments stuff to them because of receivings goof ups. By the time you clock out for breaks in this place you have 10 minute anything after that you lose points and don't get paid for the other minutes you spend on break but by the time you walk to the front to buy your stuff and check out waiting on customers ahead of you to get out of the way and up to the break room that usually take a good 7 minutes of your time another 3 to just walk to the front. Also certain members in my department like to act like they are "smarter" and much more "trained" and "know it all" that they will literally call another person from another department to come help them put away carpet on the machine like I'm some kind of idiot. They never even bother to ask me to help them even cut the carpet or vinyl. They basically talk down to me like i'm a dog. Just mainily one person in general in this case that thinks she knows it all.  less
Pros
easy job sometimes.
Cons
wanna be bosses, people who aren't managers telling you what needs to be done and how to do it, people talking down to you like you are not smart.
Long hours, Low Pay, Long hours, Lack of Work/life Balance, Lack of opportunity for advancement, Poor benefits
Manager (Former Employee) –  Nowhere, OKJuly 14, 2015
This obviously isn't going to be sugar coated but I will tell you how it is.

A typical day as a manager consists of 12+hr shifts sometimes back to back with as little as 3-4 hours between shifts. (When you clopen, Close and open you do not sleep) Every morning as a receiving manager you start by grabbing your radio and phone from the front of the store and then begin to check in equipment and walk the yard to make your to do lists, while servicing customers, while receiving inventory, while delegating to your employees, while doing what needs to get done to keep the GM happy.

What I learned:
Menards is not a place for your typical worker/college graduate. They offer second chances to people who need second chances. If you don't have experience or a degree, this is where you can go to make a living. It won't be the best but you should make enough money to survive. This is not a place for today's recent graduates. Recent graduates will clash with old style management. Mostly due to old management feeling a need to show new managers up. Simply put RECENT college graduates are not a good fit for Menards.

Your Co-workers:

Consist mostly of people who didn't go to college. They have a high school degree or some crippling condition that makes them unfit for your average work place environment or are in college working for extra spending money.

The hardest part of the job:

In the beginning it was the long hours but eventually turned into showing up to work. I was lied to from HR multiple times. Chances are you will be lied to as well. Most people do not promote
  more... out of their position as a manager. Most people quit. This is due to the long hours and below average pay. Most managers today make about $40,000 a year or about $18.00/hr before overtime. Menards at $12/hr is 30% below industry averages. IPS or profit sharing is 2% your first few years which make it undesirable in my opinion. Benefits are so terrible you can buy better insurance plans out of pocket.

Decide for yourself:
I've only told you the truth but go out and look for yourself. When you log in on MYMenards TM or at the store go to I/C opportunites. (inter-company opportunities) Go to your state and look at in store manager opportunities. Mark down when and where openings are. Then check back periodically with the information you wrote down. You should notice that people come and go quite frequently. After some time you'll begin to realize that they didn't promote up. If everyone promoted up they'd need to open about 50 new stores a year.
Pros
It's a good place to work if you need a second chance
Cons
Low pay. Lack of work/life balance, lots of overly inflated egos, point system, 30 minute lunch breaks, poor upper management, work is unhealthy, little opportunity for advancement
Customer orientated business with helpful employees to make their experience better.
Assistant Retail Manager (Current Employee) –  Schererville, INFebruary 14, 2015
A typical day at work involves working on the morning paperwork such as the daily inventory exceptions sheet and the retail check list. I am also in charge of making sure that the morning stockers have directions and guidance as to what is expected of them each day. Another important task is making sure that I am assisting each customer not only in my department, but throughout the store. I also need to make sure that my part-timers and full timers in my department are keeping busy throughout the day. Whether that entails working on the daily to-do list, stocking freight on the shelves or helping guests, these are all ways that I can make sure that the employees stay productive and busy throughout the day. At night as a manager I need to make sure that the shelves are properly stocked for the next day and that everything is cleaned and prepared for the following day. As a manager I have learned that in order to have an effective and more productive day one of the key skills to making sure that happens is by multitasking. I am required to carry a phone and a radio at all times and there are times that I have a customer asking a question in the store and at the same time the front end needs a price check on an item. Although this can prove to be a challenge at times I make sure that I remain calm and that I get each task completed in a timely manner so no one is having to wait for and extended period of time. I have also learned to work with all different types of personalities. Not only with my team members, but also with customers. The key to handling each situation is to remember  more... that if you listen to each person and truly understand what issue or problem they have come across and then you do your very best to resolve the situation, in the end it usually works out. If they see that you are sincere and do care about how they feel then they will know that you are doing your very best to help resolve the situation. The hardest part of my job would be handling a customer who is truly upset and has resulted in screaming and yelling to express their frustration. At that point I know that if you show them that you are willing to listen to them and work with them to help fix the problem and apologize for any inconvenience that this may have caused them they will usually calm down and sometimes even apologize for their actions. The most enjoyable part of my job is when I am assisting customers and you can see it in their eyes and by their actions that they are truly happy and I was able to help them and in return that makes me feel really good. I enjoy helping people and knowing that I was able to make their day a little bit brighter and easier.  less
Menards
Receiving Associate (Current Employee) –  Springfield, ILMarch 29, 2014
Menards is a decent place for first time employees. The company itself is rapidly expanding and sales are steady. Such an environment seems to offer some sort of job security in the sense that employees are not concerned about being laid off. The majority of the positions at a store level are all minimum wage and either casual part-time or regular part-time.

I worked regular part-time for two years in the Yard and during that time was suggested for management and won several awards for guest service, but never did I see any sort of reward or thanks for my hard work. I still earned minimum wage and the managers kept that "Suggestion for management" dangling in front of my nose.

This past year I helped build a new Menards store because management said it was a great opportunity to grow in the company. I now work full time at that new store as a Receiver. I applied for a management position that was open and even with my previous experience, a team member who had only been with the company for six months got the job instead because he was friends with the department manager. Instead as a reward for my dedication I got a $2 pay raise and four times the work load. I am currently finishing up my bachelors in Business Administration/Supply Chain Management. Despite my dedication to this company and being over qualified for management positions there is no future in this company for me. Even at a store management level the pay is barely enough to support a family and it requires that an employee should work at least 50 hours a week to make ends meet.

I enjoy a lot of the people I
  more... work with, but there is a serious problem in dividing the work load between departments within the store. Sales departments are responsible for assisting guests and stocking freight. Receiving is responsible for the same things as sales departments except there are all the rest of the store responsibilities on top of that. Monitoring inventory, overstock, loading/ unloading trucks, etc.

If you are considering a long-term career with Menards I would advise you to look elsewhere simply because there are only about 400 good jobs in the company at the very top that pay enough to support a family. If you are looking for an entry level job that will teach you skills to use in the workforce then I would suggest you go apply. Do not set expectations too high and don't fall for the misleading promises that management will put in front of you.
Pros
relatively easy promotion
Cons
overwhelming work load and always under staffed
Alright, but wouldn't recommend.
Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Antioch, ILMay 1, 2014
I've been here a long time. You don't get paid on the holidays unless you're full-time. The 10% discount is taken out of your next paycheck. So if you buy something that is $20 after the discount, that $20 is deducted from your next paycheck. It's called PRD (PayRoll Deduction) and you can't PRD more than you make. So if you work part-time you can't PRD more than approximately $180. So don't plan on buying a new fridge and getting 10% off.
The Holiday Bonus, they make you claim on your taxes and It's an In-Store Credit. It's determined by how long you have been there. Less than 6 months- $11
Less than 1 Year- $33
Less than 2 Years- $55...etc, I think the max is 6 years.
If your store is profitable and you work more than 1,000 hours you qualify for IPS (Instant Profit Sharing) but they don't tell you that It's 40% taxed. AND if you don't work on December 21st, even if you qualify, you won't get your check. So if you're on Family Medical Leave, you're screwed.
In the summer, you are lucky to get more than 20 hours in a week. It's usually about 12-15 hours, and if they don't need you, they will send you home early.
The breaks are only 10 minutes and they make you punch out.
The healthcare is EXPENSIVE.
You have to wear an apron or vest, and they make you pay for your first one, you do get a free replacement every year anniversary.
The badges get worn out in time (punching in/out, PRDing) but they won't supply a new one without taking $5 out of your paycheck.
You can be there years but they will promote cashiers to Head Cashier who have been there 3 months and don't know anything,
  more... including how to do daily tasks at the Service Desk.
They don't make anyone full-time (except managers), at this store every department only has 1 full-time team member.
They will schedule you full-time hours but won't give you the full-time pay, our stores full-timers make about and extra $2 an hour over the part-timers.
Saturdays and Sundays you do get paid an extra $2.50/ hour.
There is a lot of favoritism. If you get in good with management, you're good to go.
Every holiday and your birthday, Corporate will send you gifts. A lot of times they can be pretty useless.
Management isn't really friendly.
They used to be flexible but over a year ago we got a new manager and basically if your availability changes from what you were hired, they won't give you any hours.
You get a raise (only if you pass the test and your Department Manager and General Manager approve it) every 6 months and It's 10 cents.
Pros
summer hours, weekend pay
Cons
healthcare, breaks, discount, holiday pay
Busy and consistent days with lots of interactions
Morning Stocker/Receiver (Current Employee) –  Spencer, IAMay 11, 2013
A typical day includes arriving at 5 AM and emptying cardboard and trash bins. Baling the cardboard. Filling up a back haul semi truck with pallets and metal cages. Unloading semi trucks and separating freight into different departments by taking boxes off one pallet and setting them on other pallets of the same department. At 6:30 AM guests/shoppers arrive and you help them first until closing time. Enter paperwork from deliveries. Receiving is the heart and brain of the store and so you will do lots of things for all the other departments and when you are done doing their tasks you will do Receiving department tasks. I have learned how to enter paperwork and organize freight. The managers of Receiving are constantly busy being called to do things for other departments and the Receiving department due to a shortage of help in Receiving and in other departments. The managers will try to assist when possible but they are very busy. Sometimes they have to pick and choose what needs to be done, so some things aren't accomplished when they should be. General Managers and other department managers tend to give a lot of the daily work to receiving to do instead of doing it within that department. My co-workers do their best to accomplish Receiving responsibilities after they help guests and do the tasks asked by all the other departments. It can become stressful with the many requests and lack of help but my co-workers attempt to stay positive and we help out each other to get through busy times. They are hard workers and attempt many things with good attitudes. The hardest part of  more... this job is the lack of support in Receiving due to high turn over due to low wages and the high demanding work load on the employees. Thus it becomes very busy and sometimes chaotic in Receiving especially when other departments are asking Receiving to do a lot of tasks. The most enjoyable part of the job is the interactions with guests that truly appreciate your hard work and having a good conversation with co-workers about various things.  less
Pros
decent hours, $2.50 per hour extra on weekends, consistent tasks and responsibilities.
Cons
no vacation for part time or lower, no sick time for any worker full time or lower, high turn over of workers so there is inconsistency in people and knowledge of the work. low wages.
Very good place to learn management skills. Does not allow for time for your family. Great job for single people.
Menards Department, Regional, and Store Management (Former Employee) –  Council Bluffs, IAFebruary 3, 2014
TIme management was imperative. Need to be on top of your game to keep track of facilities issues, communication with other managers and the general office. Working with morning stocking and training them to have product on the shelf to sell. Doing raise reviews and interviewing potential candidates to hire. Getting bids for work that needed done at the store. Reviewing and approving bills to be paid. Training other AGMS and Department Managers. Teaching and instilling Menards values within team members. Keyholders responsibilities also include Securing the store each night and setting alarms. Learning about security systems in your store and the fire supression systems. Coordinatiing delivieries with the drivers and Menards employees. Communicating expectations with the contracted cleaning companies.
Co-workers are loyal and trained to be "Non-Union" and they are typically very green so their success depends on the leadership of other Department Managers and the General Managers.
The hardest part of the job was keeping a balance of all things needing done and keeping the team aggressively tackling their delegated tasks through to do lists and weekly Manager meetings. Team members burned out quickly and there was a very high turnover rate for Assistant Department Managers, due to high responsibility and low hourly rates in comparison to other employers in the market.
The most enjoyable thing was working with so many different managers and learning different sales and managerial techniques. It was nice to be able to move up in the company, but not moving your family with you
  more... and being scared to lose your job for turning down offered positions.  less
Pros
bonuses
Cons
low hourly pay for management, team members are frequently terminated right before bonus time. fines galore, have to be willing to move at their convenience, not yours
Fun place to work with lots of freedom to find ways to get product out the door.
Department Manager Menards (Current Employee) –  Lafayette, INJuly 29, 2014
Start day off by checking emails and payroll. After that I would walk my department and make sure that it was clean and ready for our customers. I would then do the morning paper work which included setting competitive pricing, inventory counts, and marketing (signs). We would have tasks that were also sent down from our corporate office that we would have to complete by a certain deadline as well, so I would either complete them myself or delegate them to my team members.
As a department manager the only people I have to answer to in the store are the three general managers and as long as you made payroll and your department is profitable then you wont have any issues with them. They give me plenty of freedom to try different ways and market product certain ways to move product out the store and make my department as profitable as possible.
The hardest part of the job is dealing with different vendors. Sometimes you need to get a product that was special ordered in, in a certain time and they do not always deliver by the deadline. So being the middle man between the guest and the vendor is the hardest part.
The most enjoyable part of the job would definitely be my team members. I have trained them all very well, and up to my standards. I like to keep my people upbeat and motivated to keep a high level of efficiently. I always tell my people that I will never ask them to do anything that I have not already done myself. I also believe in the Say, See, Do, Inspect model of Management. So I; tell them what needs to be done and how to do it(Say), then I physically show them how
  more... to do it(See), then I tell them to complete said task(do), then I check their work to see if it is up to my standards(inspect). I do this so they will know what is expected of them when they are assigned a certain task and it has made for a very good work environment.  less
Pros
bonuses, great work environment, helping guests make their dream homes
Cons
vacation time, heath care, location
Horrible Place to Work
Hardware Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Somewhere in WisconsinDecember 18, 2012
The guest/customers are the worst; they treat you like garbage. Management is very poor, total lack of leadership. The only way you move up at a store is if you make friends with management.

Scheduling is horrible you will often work nights until close at 10-PM just to have to be there the next day at 8-AM; Often you will work 8 to 10 days in a row before you get a day off. Managers often work 10-14 hour days with only a total of 45 minutes for breaks. 1 unpaid lunch that cannot exceed 35-minutes. If you take 36 minutes and do not call you lose 2 points. If you obtain 10 points you are fired.

Work is much more physical then you would expect.
In the hardware department you stock 125-lb grills 6 feet in the air and you have to get it down for people to buy. Patio furniture comes in boxes weighing between 100 and 250 pounds. Male workers are expected to stack them to the ceiling in the overstock area, they come to the store caked in dirt. You are expected to overstock tool chest weighing 100-200lbs 10 feet in the air on the mega racking using a ladder. It's similar in the plumbing department where they overstock sinks weighing similar just using a ladder and raw strength. You walk around like crazy. It's a non-stop long day. These are just some examples of many.

Unless you befriend management you are in for a rough time. They will treat you like you are nothing. They will give you all the hard jobs. They will punish you for stuff they themselves do. They will believe whatever a customer says about you even if it's not true. Then they will harass you about it and threaten to
  more... fire you. You will explain the situation and even if it's true they will not care. Even if they themselves did exactly what you did in that situation they will not care.

The corporate level is way out of touch with what really goes on in the stores.
Pros
nothing
Cons
customers/managment/random hours
Management needs to change to better the company
Cashier, Head Cashier, Assistant Front End Manager (Former Employee) –  Baxter, MNJuly 10, 2012
A typical day at work would be opening registers, assisting guests and making sure every team member is doing their job to the best of their abilities. I learned at Menards that working as a team is always better when working for a big company, if one person is not doing their job then the entire team can fall apart. I also learned that there is no room for error. Management at Menards can be very harsh on employees, giving everything you've got and working hard does not always mean it's good enough. If the turnover at Menards is getting worse every year it is based partially on the management. The people whom I worked with at Menards were great people for the most part, it made every day go by faster when everyone is doing their job and having a great attitude at the start of the day. The hardest part of the job is working with unhappy co-workers and unhappy guests. Management has high expectations with harsh punishments for failure and expects every aspect of the day to go by without error, they also try to use knowledge of personal lives like blackmail with employees who work under them. Having high expectations is not a bad thing, however, it can be used to break down their employees so that they can get them to do what they want, not what is part of their job. The most enjoyable part of the job was the knowledge gained with experience and working with guests. There are so many great things to learn from such great people and it is very rewarding and can be a great place to work, it has such potential but there needs to be some changes in order for them to be outstanding!
Pros
raises, instant profit sharing, some benefits can also be gained over time such as health and dental
Cons
management can be very harsh, and guests can sometimes be very difficult to work with
Good people, Simple work, Poor management
Delivery Coordinator, Team Member/Mentor (Former Employee) –  Anderson, INFebruary 16, 2015
Started in the Millwork Dept assisting guests with creating custom windows/doors(int/ext)/garage doors to suit their needs. The Dept requires you to complete basic cleaning actions such as dusting, sweeping, picking up trash, organizing displays, setting up new displays. Useful things to know to work in the Dept would consist of knowing how to read a tape measure, comfort in heights, comfort in using a small hand saw and miter box. Best way to learn this position is to literally play with the programs provided on the Dept computers.

I was moved to the Full-Time Delivery Coordinator and this position involved scheduling deliveries for guests and contractors, roaming the store to locate any items inside and providing the Load Pullers with a copy so they may collect the materials from outside, palletizing the items after hand counting each piece for accuracy, ensuring the safety and efficiency of loaded materials onto the proper delivery vehicle. In theory this position is extremely simple, however, when taking in account the difficulty in dealing with drivers who show up for deliveries on their time and other associates(Load Pullers) who don't do their portion, make things stressful and difficult.

This company promotes from within and after X amount of years of service to the company you receive promotions, again this is mainly based off of time dedicated to the company NOT whether the individual is qualified or not. Management was the biggest issue that I had encountered with the company as most of the management had little to no previous management experience and did not receive
  more... the proper training after achieving the position.  less
Pros
promotions, associates, skill broadening
Cons
health care, management, promotions
Strict working environment that offers tremendous opportunities for advancement.
LP-Cashier (Current Employee) –  Pekin, ILMay 30, 2015
For a retail company, Menards offers gernerous compensation benfits to its employees, such as starting pay is well over minimum wage, earning an extra $2.50/hr on Saturdays and Sundays, the opportunity for overtime, and profit-sharing (if you meet specific requirements). Also, the opportunity to excel quickly within the company is apparent with the use of the online training program they offer all employees.

However, a mixture between the stict policies being implemented, create high employee turnover. Some policies shouldn't exist, such as not being able to work over 10 hours in a day, not being able to state the guests total out loud, and being written up if you don't take a lunch within the first 5 hours and being written up if you come back before your 30 minutes. There are several other policies that were or still are really strict, but I hope this gives you an idea.

The hardest part of the job that I've encountered, because you are working with a variety of guests, is communication issues. Most of our customers at my specific location are elderly, and they aren't as familar with the meaning behind some phrases, which creates conflict in communication. Some situations I've encountered is financing options the Menards Card offers, return policies, and rental agreements. A customer has been told one thing or interpreted something differently, but then took it out on someone else.

The part I enjoy most about my job is being able to make customer's and fellow co-worker's day better with simply a smile, eye contact, and a good attitude.
Pros
starting compensation, extra money on the weekend, skill opportunities, profit share, ability to get overtime, advancement, co-workers
Cons
strict policies, work/life balance
Don't get sick!
Sales Floor Associate (Current Employee) –  Oak Park Heights, MNFebruary 10, 2016
I would say Mendards is okay to work at. If you do their 'At Home Training' you can get some pretty good raises. I worked as a stocker, so the morning hours were really nice for me. But that was only good thing about that job. I will warn you, DO NOT GET SICK! They have a horrible point system. If you get sick and come back to work without a doctor's note (Which can cost up to one paycheck) you will have enough points to get fired. I happen to be working during a year we have 40 below freezing weather and my car wouldn't start. They threatened to fire me if I didn't have a note from a mechanic. Which was a little rude, because NO ONE'S CAR WOULD START THOSE MORNINGS! I also had a few times when I got injured (sadly happened during the same month) nothing was broken so I didn't go to the doctor. Well they suspended me for three days, saying that they were being nice because they should of fired me. I also had a time that I had allergic reaction at home. I didn't go to the doctor's because I knew it would go away in a few hours. My mom took video of me having one (I shake pretty bad when having an allergy attack. Barely talk and walk). They wouldn't even look at the video saying that it was 'sketchy'. Also, during the winter months it's hard to find work there because it's their slow season. Even if there is no work at the store, they will not call you the day before to let you know you don't have work and don't have to come in. I worked there for two years now and I've only been called twice for lack of work. When people during the winter go home early (like hours into shift)  more... three times a week or more. Overall, don't work here if you have a life where stuff happens that you have no control over and if you need a steady paycheck all year long.  less
Pros
raises, hours, hire anyone
Cons
sick day policy, management, turn around
Very fun place to work, awesome people!
Cashier/Stocker (Former Employee) –  Ontario, OHJuly 15, 2015
I worked here for a few months before I had to quit to move away. But within the time of working there I really enjoyed it! I worked as a cashier.

Managers there are both fun and respectful. They do listen to your needs but they also have good heads on their shoulders for the needs of the company as a whole. There are plenty of ways to get promotions, fun challenges and meetings every month with great rewards! The meetings always told us exactly what we needed to improve, and let us know what we were doing well in. There are interviews once or twice a year to see who will qualify for raises. The job keeps you busy, if things get slow then you could get sent to help put away returns up front, or to put up the papers in the restrooms. Most customers were understanding and enjoyable to talk with as well.

Best part, working weekends is required BUT for working weekends you get paid extra per hour! so your hours wouldn't be as long, but you'd still get paid well for it.

The only cons I remember was when you needed to check a price on an item that either wouldn't ring up, or didn't have a sticker, you had to ring a bell and flash your row number and wait for a head cashier to help you. Sometimes we got really busy and it was hard to get one of them to help. I worked out in Garden Center a lot so I had a radio to ask the departments I needed for a price check, so it wasn't that bad for me. And the breaks were only 15 minutes long. If you worked an 8hr you got a 30 minute break though.
Pros
Great meetings, good rewards given for those who work hard, extra pay for weekends
Cons
Short breaks, sometimes hard to get a price check especially with wood
Great company to work for
Assistant Department Manager (Current Employee) –  Mundelein, IlJuly 16, 2013
A typical day at work would include me going in seeing what freighgt was left to be put out, check with my morning stockers as well as the opening full timer and see how the morning went. I then verify all the price changes have been done and start doing my inventory exceptions sheet. Following that I check and respond to any emails from the morning. Then I will start doing my task managers and verify the completion of them. I will also check for any outstanding training and have my employees complete that. On Tuesdays' I create the departments schedule while working with the time off requests. Following that I will start out of stocks and inventory, and down stocking as necessary. A large part of my day is spent with guests, assisting the front end with any price discrepencys or guest questions on returns. I will also process special orders and pull guest special orders.
At this company I learned how to drive the forklift and I also go through more training for my managerial position.
The hardest part of the job here is being able to handle multiple price checks, guest questions at the front end of the store for their returns, and have enough time to do all of my regular tasks. However, I manage to do it fairly well.
The most enjoyable part of my job is getting to meet new people and help them fix their problems. I also love being in a management position and having people look up to me and strive to one day be in my place and having them thank me for any promotions due to being trained well.
Pros
lots of guest interaction
Cons
sometimes there are not enough employees for all the guests
Horrible place to work!
Hardware Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Virginia, MNSeptember 2, 2014
Many of the managers and their assistants, located at the Virginia, MN store are not only rude but dismissive and demeaning. I was disrespected whether I was with a customer or not and accused of things that were untrue. Issues were reported to HR but they were dismissed and treated although it was made up. Within a month of working I was called several names, not "retaliated" on but rather "punished" (however clearly retaliation), and threatened by an assistant manager. Regular (part-time, but working 40+ hours per week) sales associates are treated terrible and although they are constantly replaceable and incapable children. Any issues that sales associates reported were swept under the rug, transferred to different departments, and told to keep their head down and mouth shut. Co-workers (on the same level) are nice and friendly with each other and guests, however constantly in fear of catching the eye of the managers or making minor slip-ups and the repercussions they would face. Not only were managers rude to employees, guests would also be mocked to their faces and treated like idiots, whether intentionally or not it would make them feel like a waste of time. Many guests informed me of their intent to never use the store again. Aside from the mocking managers the most enjoyable part was the ability to help and assist customers to the best of your ability. This job is fairly easy but I learned that I would NEVER suggest anyone to this employer ever again and I advise anyone who works there to find a new job.
Pros
great to help people
Cons
the company
Excellent non-union company that handsomely rewards good employees
Electrical Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHFebruary 11, 2014
During a typical day I would clock in and begin working on a department checklist, which ensured any problem areas in the department were touched up and fixed. During and after working on the checklist I would help every guest I came across unless I was physically unable to do so (i.e. working high up on a ladder). Throughout the day I was to walk around the department and restock and/or straighten up any products that required such actions, and at the end of the day I went through and vacuumed, dust-mopped, and fixed up the whole department before the General Manager came and checked it. I learned to multi-task even in high stress situations, cater to the needs of guests in the store to the best of my ability, manage an inventory, meet sales goals, and become an outstanding salesman no matter what department I was in. Management always treated me with respect and acted in a very professional manner. My co-workers were hard-working and well picked by the person(s) in charge of hiring and I enjoyed working with them. The hardest part of this job was trying to stay productive in my department while dropping everything I was doing to assist any guests I came across in the process, but that part was also the most enjoyable because our guests really loved our commitment to giving a truly satisfying customer experience to everyone in the store.
Pros
good management, benefits and bonuses, non-union, good pay.
Cons
difficult to finish long tasks due to the need to stop and help guests.
Very active work environment.
CASHIER/SALES ASSOCIATE (Current Employee) –  Cicero, ILMarch 5, 2013
A typical day at work consists of me punching in and helping out guest as soon as they approach. I have a sales goal to fill for every shift. Working at Menards has taught me a lot about products I never thought I would ever use, such as paint thinner and hardware tools. I work in the paint department so my main priority is to sell paint and paint products. Our department is also responsible for our grocery and pet department. I have three store managers that are always around to help. I also have three department managers that I report to every work day. My relationship with my managers is professional but fun. I feel free to talk to them about my personal problems if they are affecting my work day. My managers are very understanding and cooperative. The department I work in is a department of 10 people. My co-workers and I have developed a relationship both inside and outside of work. We all enjoy working together and know how to separate a professional work attitude with our attitude outside of work. Working with people around the same age region really makes work fun. The hardest part of my job would be some of the projects we have to put together. There is always heavy materials and tools to use. Training and learning about products around the store is also hard. The most enjoyable part of my job is working with my co-workers.
Pros
instant profit sharing, holiday pay and an extra $2.50 on your salary every weekend.
Cons
long night shifts, not having a set schedule
Worst Job Ever
Night Stocker (Former Employee) –  Danville, ILJanuary 9, 2015
This was by far the worst Job I ever had. I was lied to every time I asked about advancement. They did adjust my hours for me so it would be more appropriate for my needs. However the amount of work that was required of me was ridiculous for the low rate of pay I received (or barely received for that matter), and the recognition I received for a "job well done" was very little to none. I worked hard, and I did the best that I could and then some. When I first started I wanted a sales position. I was told that none were available so I took what I could get, just to get my foot in the door. I was told that I could definitely get a sales position as soon as something opened up. Plenty opened up during my time there. Yet I was never given my original desired post. Had I known this I would never have taken the job in the first place. It was not a job that i needed, it was just job that I took for something to do and for a little extra cash. The first manager I was put with was a slave driving tyrant, so I moved to a different department, The manager was awesome. Great guy, fun to work with. But the assistant, I'm pretty sure, was bi polar. You're best friend one minute, jumping down your throat with a vile of acid the next.

p.s. I rarely ever took a break because I didn't see a point. By the time I would get to my destination, it would be time turn turn around and head right back to my post.
Pros
boring, too much work with too little pay. lies lies lies and lies...
Cons
had its fun moments, loved a lot of the people i got to work with. enjoyed helping people