We are looking for a Bioinformatics Scientist to join our team conducting chemical and genetics R&D to develop products for crop improvement. As a scientist you will be responsible for executing a wide range of core computational tasks and must be an expert in the bioinformatics analysis of DNA and protein sequences.
- Design, implementation and support of internal sequence database infrastructure;
- Curation and maintenance of automated database update and BLAST-related resources;
- Maintenance and extension of internal Galaxy bioinformatics platform;
- Execution of ad hoc sequence-analysis requests such as promoter identification, cloning primer design, etc.;
- Preparation of phylogenetic trees, alignments and other analyses to support patent filings;
- Discovery and characterization of sequences of functional orthologues across multiple targets species;
- Discovery and characterization of sequence motifs related to loci of interest;
- Development of novel algorithms and methods for the analysis of genomic data, including ORA, GWAS and eQTL analysis;
- Maintenance and extension of automated multiple-genome primary analysis pipelines for next-generation sequencing data;
- Integration and analysis of data from disparate sources, including public, commercial and proprietary datasets and;
- Development of models of interaction and regulation based on these data.
- PhD or equivalent qualifications in bioinformatics, biostatistics, computational biology, or related field;
- 3-5 years of relevant work experience;
- Excellent problem solving and programming skills. Able to develop innovative solutions to solve large-scale and complex computational problems in bioinformatics software development and genomic analysis;
- Broad understanding of core bioinformatics techniques and algorithms;
- Understanding of current NGS algorithms and analysis tools for alignment and comparative analysis, including Illumina GA Pipeline software, Tophat, Cufflinks, and Bioconductor libraries;
- Excellent programming skills in Perl; proficiency or familiarity in other languages such as Java, shell, R/Splus;
- A wide variety of computational skills, such as shell scripting, statistics and the R environment;
- Solid understanding of SQL and fundamentals of relational database design as used in bioinformatics and sequence analysis;
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills and;
- Authorization to work in the U.S.
Indeed - 15 months ago
Mendel is a private agbiotech/agchem company developing solutions for the sustainable production of food, fiber and fuel. We have had...