Mental Health Association of NYC Employee Reviews

There's good, bad and ugly
MENTAL HEALTH COUNSELOR (Current Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 4, 2017
It's a good starting job for recent graduates. Serving anyone in crisis and/or in need of support in NYC is worthwhile. You get to learn and develop crisis intervention/assessment skills. Colleagues are supportive and it's almost a privilege to work with such nice colleagues. Option to work remotely.

However, there isn't much room to grow and no raises/bonuses. Management continuously monitors everything counselors do during their shifts, to catch every mistake counselors make, even very minimal mistakes. It's partly understandable as sometimes it could be a matter of life and death! Most counselors get evaluated biweekly or at least monthly on what they say and did not say during calls, whether they took your breaks/lunch on time or not. Management always emphasizes to plan your vacation and time off in advance, but 90% of the time you request for time-off, they deny and ask to find coverage or swap shift with someone else. For several different, good and bad reasons, there is an extremely high rate of turnover.

Management should be transparent with where the funding they receive from the city government goes, instead of them (management) always promoting each other. Typical non-profit org tactics.
Pros
4 weeks paid vacation, accepts new grads
Cons
Low pay, No raises/bonuses
its a job for a high school student or someone in college
Child Care Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bronx, NYJune 1, 2017
i felt like at that job there was a lot of favoritism. people escalated based on who they knew in the company and not on their hard work. i felt like my supervisor never had work for us to do. we were never given our 22 hours a week. some weeks we made more other weeks we made less money
Pros
good pay
Cons
favoritism, not enough work for us to do
Nice
Mental Health First Aider (Former Employee) –  Albany, NYApril 26, 2017
This program was great! Lots of learning and laughs, but definitely learned plenty of information on how to handle someone who is in need of immediate psychological care.
Lacked Support for Counselors and Case Managers
Intern (Mental Health Counselor) (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 30, 2017
Typical day at work was quite stressful as site leadership was not supportive. There was a lot of underhanded inappropriate interactions in the workplace.
what i learned at this job
Child Care Assistant/ Office Work (Former Employee) –  Bronx, NYMarch 8, 2017
This job taught me a lot of skills such as phone skills and how to communicate with people when they are at their worst moment in life and need the most help. it also made me emotionally feel attached to the kids i took care of and bond with them.
Great Entry-Level Job
Youth Advocate (Former Employee) –  Queens, NYDecember 17, 2016
The Youth Advocate position is a great entry level position for a college student and even a mature and balanced high school student. This is where I got my foundation as a Peer Advocate and it has helped shape me into a great advocate via the trainings I received and the support I got from my co-workers.
The most enjoyable part of my job is team work.
Family Support Worker (Current Employee) –  Long Island City, NYOctober 18, 2015
The company I work for provides the support I need to do my job effectively. Besides the collaboration within coworkers, training is part of on going job learning experience.
It brings me absolute joy to serve families in an appropriate and empowering manner. My respect for families dealing and learning to cope with mental illness, and my firm belief that all people want to be the best that they can be; allows me to work with families from a positive and not judgmental way frame of mind.
Pros
Free Trainings
Relaxing work environment
Senior Accountant (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 1, 2015
The agency provide a relaxing work environment. It is located near Wall Street, a convenient location. Learned a lot about budgeting and projecting future expenses.
Excellent working and supportive environment.
Addiction Specialist Counselor Intern (Former Employee) –  50 Broadway, New York, NYNovember 24, 2014
I learned a tremendous amount of the nuances of handling clients, keeping them engaged during a lengthy assessment that is being done over the phone. These skills will be invaluable in my future as a social worker.

My typical day consisted of talking calls from those seeking referrals for substance abuse treatment. All information is anonymous. Demographic information is taken and a medical and mental assessment is also taken to be sure the person is not have any suicidal/homocidal ideations or actual plans. I am also a mandated reported regarding child abuse/neglect. Should I detect that there are children in danger, I have to delicately get the caller to give me his address and depending upon his or her demeanor, I sometimes have to get 911 on the line with me.

This is a rare occasion, and not a part of my job that I enjoyed. When this type of situation arises, supervisors get on the line with you and so does 911. Depending on how it goes, usually the caller is able to understand he/she can get help and is not being arrested or anything.
Pros
Very supportive, never admonished for a misstep, always used as a learning tool.
Cons
Highly stressful, callers can be abusive
crisis counselor
Crisis Counselor (Current Employee) –  NYCNovember 17, 2014
• Provide supportive counseling to individuals who contact the dedicated clinic crisis phone lines, and internet via chat lines.
• Provide lethality assessment with corresponding documentation and dispatch appropriate level of intervention.
• Provide information and referral to individuals who contact the dedicated clinic crisis phone lines.
• Screen all clinical calls for lethality as per agency guidelines.
• Enter all calls in an iCarol call report, including demographic information and presenting problem. .
• Other duties as assigned by Coordinator of Crisis Counseling program or the Supervising Counselor.
• Helping individuals deal with addictions and substance abuse; family; parenting, and marital problems; suicide; stress management; problems with self-esteem; and issues associated with aging and mental and emotional health.
Challenging but important position
Lead Crisis Counselor, Quality Assurance (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 9, 2014
LifeNet is a 24 hour suicide hotline that assist those in immediate need. Referrals for social servicesare also provided.
Quiet and productive environment
Crisis Counselor (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 24, 2014
Job and colleagues were nice and courteous. Artmosphere was one of happiness and contentment.
Pros
Quiet
Cons
No cons
Very serious in delivering effective service
Parent Advocate (Former Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 24, 2013
Case managing clients with behavioral disorders, planning a coping activities to help the family as a whole. Offering high quality family support services along with strong advocacy for child and its needs
Pros
Above and BEyond the call of duty
Office Assistant, Child Care Taker (Former Employee) –  Elmhurst, NYMarch 7, 2013
• Taking care of children who deal with mental health issues
Initiated an entirely new program within a borough of NYC
Borough Supervisor (Former Employee) –  New York, NYDecember 30, 2012
Initiating a new program for an entire borough was rewarding and reached multiple clients through the coordination of different agencies. Hardest part was initiating program to those who were unfamiliar with it. Most rewarding was seeing the program's success post-initiation in the community.
Pros
development of a new program
Cons
challenges of a start-up

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Mental Health Association of NYC. Our community is ready to answer.

Mental Health Association of NYC Reviews by Location