Mental Health Association Employee Reviews

Great place to work and help people
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Wichita, KSOctober 3, 2017
Wonderful place to grow, learn and apply life skills. Working with
Senior citizens at a time of need to provide assistance with whatever they might need.
Poor management. Great colleagues and time off.
Counselor (Current Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 29, 2017
Working at the mental health association is rather draining and lots of things come off as unnecessary. You will come to learn that most of your job is babying clients who reach out to you on a daily basis to talk and less about cultivating your mental health experience. Since working here I have gained knowledge and appreciation from those I directly work with rather than from the management team who only care about the numbers of calls they are able to pull in. People come and go here and the turnover rate is something they sweep under the rug. Great for entry level candidates and you get four weeks of paid time off although it is hard to use them due to lack of coverage but the atmosphere is one that has been dwindling over time.
Pros
Great colleagues, lots of paid time-off
Cons
Lack of appreciation, revolving door, horrible management
Mhac
Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Torrington, CTSeptember 27, 2017
A great place to start helping those suffering from mental health issues. Good collaboration between staff and clinical teams. In order for this company to succeed there would have to be changes in management.
Pros
Staff, helping clients
Cons
Provide care to clients requiring psychiatric needs
Mental Health Counselor (Former Employee) –  Springfield, MASeptember 24, 2017
typically clients required structure and organization.Management was neutral. Some clients went to programs during the day. while others went to work. after programs work, counseling occurred throughout the night. then reevaluation of treatment provided.
Pros
perks such as holiday gift certificates were offered
Cons
not enough pay
interacting with the members
Health Aide (Current Employee) –  Gulfport, MSSeptember 17, 2017
assisting with breakfast and lunch. Group meeting walking with members. Playing bingo. lend a listening ear. interaction with members. Playing cards. Special projects.
Pros
frre lunch
Cons
would like more hours
Mental illness
Residential Care Worker (Former Employee) –  Wichita, KSSeptember 16, 2017
Unless you're an academic or have background in handling mentally ill individuals, one will struggle in this occupation. Patience is very necessary and important.
No one should have to experience a horrible place like this
Outreach Worker (Former Employee) –  Springfield, MASeptember 10, 2017
Staff is overworked, underpaid, and treated horribly. The CEO, and her partners below her are evil, heartless, and money hungry.

Outreach workers are given a caseload and expected to manage it with minimal support. As soon as a mistake is made, management berates them and punishes them until they either quit or are fired.
Pros
weekly pay
Cons
everything besides weekly pay
This was an awesome place to work with a diversified staff who were all very supportive and experience in the field.
Patient Advocate (Current Employee) –  Norristown, PAAugust 29, 2017
I enjoy working for the Mental Health Association. This job enabled me to help people with mental and behavioral health challenges with finding the resources in the community that could assist them with managing their illness as well strengthening their support network. The company empowered staff by offering a series of training classes geared toward helping us better understand mental health diagnosis and their most common symptoms. There were also other resources made available to assist with helping individuals meet their short term goals. Management allowed staff to utilize the office space for therapeutic group activities to keep individuals engaged. I believe that the hardest part of the job was when folks reached their participation goals and eventually graduated from the program. It was at this point that management restricted staff from communicating with individuals .
Residents were great but management was not
Residential Counselor (Former Employee) –  Fonda, NYAugust 28, 2017
I loved the agency and working with the clients but management were often unfair and unaware of things going on within the residences. Ir was nice to know that the work i did made a difference.
Pros
Making a difference in the lives of others
Cons
Management, lack of training
Fun
Parent Coach (Current Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 5, 2017
The Mental Health Association of New York City has great trainings and the work is flexible. the pay is not that great and the work environment is a disaster.
Pros
flexible
Cons
salaries
Good individuals
Residential Assistant (Current Employee) –  Springfield, MAAugust 3, 2017
It's sometimes scary to whirl at mha. But it's my job and I well do my best to help the I individuals that need us. I work to help the people in need. Mha doesn't see the people that are there to help the individual. I live my job and helping others
Abundance of creative activity.
Supervisor of Volunteer Services (Former Employee) –  FloridaJuly 30, 2017
1. Supervised janitorial & maintenance activity
2. Management was fair & supportive
3. Environment-relaxed & cheerful
4. Great people to work for.
Residential Support Staff (Current Employee) –  Longmeadow, MA 01106July 28, 2017
Great company to work for. Participants are well taken care of. The core values are compassion, dignity and respect. The management team is organize and well put together
work ethics
Children's Attendant Care Worker (Former Employee) –  Wichita, KSJuly 24, 2017
This is not a place to work if you want to be a robot and if you think that you are able to have a relationship with your clients you have another think coming. They do not want you to be able to be close to the clients so therefore how are you supposed to be able to teach them anything and help them with their problems and be able to work out their issues, not a great place to work.
Pros
Cons
too many to list
Great place to grow and learn
Therapist/Screener/LCSW (Current Employee) –  Vero Beach, FL 32960July 5, 2017
Very micromanaged. You can grow and learn from many great professionals. Easy to transition into intimate treatment team. Counseling is the priority. Very good model for clients.
Pros
Outpatient. Great hours.
Cons
Micromanage
Very easy going job
Residential Support Specialist (Current Employee) –  Springfield, MAJune 19, 2017
This job is a very rewarding and simple job, on most days. It is rewarding making an impact on these individuals lives each and every day, but sometimes it can become complicated due to things that may come up. I learned in this company that you must retain a lot of information. There are some things that managers may not reiterate, but it is much needed sometimes. It is very important to love the individuals you work with, and have much paitence
You get to help!
Program Assistant (Former Employee) –  Fort Lauderdale, FLJune 5, 2017
An organization that actually really cares about the community and it's workers. The management team will listen to those on any point in the totem pole.
Pros
Good work environment
Cons
Slow paced
N/a
Certified Peer Specialist (Current Employee) –  2709 N Broad Street Philadelphia, PA 19132May 9, 2017
I love my job and the co-worker are very professional. The workplace is very peaceful and enjoyable. We are a team and we learn from each other. The pay is good but I believe that me being bilingual they could give me a little bit more. The good thing is that I love what I do and that is why I am not desperate. I just want to grow more and be able to participate in and with the community without restrictions.
Pros
N/a
Cons
N/a
Stressful, poor workplace quality, but revolved around improving family functioning
Childcare Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bronx, NYMay 1, 2017
What I found astounding was the way they kept children's interest and safety a priority. Also, they began a program that focused on educating mothers on the importance of parent-child relationships to improve their own relationships with their children. My job was as a childcare assistant which was to care for the children while the parents are in the class. The management for the childcare assistants was not appropriate, there was terrible schedule management and employees had to wait longer than normal for checks.
Eye opener
Suicide/Crisis counselor (Former Employee) –  Waukesha, WIApril 25, 2017
I would recommend working at MHA for anyone that wishes to see the world in a new light. You will not be coddled by normal society as you will be dealing with everyone that is struggling in one way or another.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Mental Health Association. Our community is ready to answer.