Mental Health Association Employee Reviews

Good enough if you need a job
Pool Staff (Former Employee) –  Tulsa, OKJanuary 18, 2017
The good thing is that people with mental illnesses do get to work there. There are sometimes petty arguments. Not much job security. An employee who was there 10 years was let go because of his bad back.
Pros
You do get free food
Cons
the food most of the time is not very good
Everything is outstanding and great.
peer to peer with mentally ill person in crisis. (Former Employee) –  Mountain Lake, NJJanuary 17, 2017
The most enjoyable part of my job was talking and having conversation with my patients especially the elderly. i learned to be patient.Treat every individual with respect.typical day at work is when we have a difficult patient that is unco-operative with anyone.
Flexible Workplace
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Southeastern, PAJanuary 4, 2017
A typical work day includes evaluating youth behavioral health programs in order to foster positive changes advocated for by the youth and parent/caregivers who use the services. Through these projects, you learn much about the programs available to families with youth who have mental and/or behavioral problems. It involves independent and collaborative work with time and project management mainly left up to individual employees.
Horrible pay but great experience.
Residential Assistant (RA) (Former Employee) –  Springfield, MAJanuary 2, 2017
This was a great place to work for when trying to get into the mental health field. Learned a lot and was very interesting. Loved working with and helping the individuals. I would recommend this to anyone although you will not get rich.
wonderful workplace
Direct Support Professional (Former Employee) –  Middletown, NYDecember 22, 2016
one on one care with children. community outing and enjoyable workplace. boss is great and flexible hours. wide age range and verbal to nonverbal.
Very caring group of employees for clients.
Family Advocate (Current Employee) –  Southeastern, PADecember 18, 2016
A typical day of work is very fast pace and busy. Since I have been working there. I have learned that mental health comes in different forms and I have learned to respect more and look at it differently.
educational and fun place to work
Better Days Ahead Family Support Network (Former Employee) –  320 N Goodman St Rochester NY 14607December 17, 2016
family oriented, task centered goals and peer advocates all help to provide Wellness... for Monroe County residents
Worked with families to help engage, educate and follow up with them regarding goal oriented case management service and advocacy.
Village Gate Square, Rochster NY
Pros
great place to work, very friendly people
Cons
no room to advance
Non profit organization
Administrative Assistant/Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Washington, PANovember 12, 2016
The Mental Health Association is a non profit organization that provides multiple services for those with a mental illness.
Pros
community support
Cons
funding
Never a dull day
Case Manager / Team Member (Former Employee) –  Southeastern, PAOctober 3, 2016
MHA was learning experience. I enjoyed working with my co workers. I loved teaching the clients about: budgeting, sewing, cooking, cleaning, and shopping.
Pros
Never boring
Cons
Down sized and some programs were eliminated
A fun place to work
Rehabilitation Assistant, Personal Care Aide (Former Employee) –  West Jefferson, NCJune 26, 2016
A typical day began with the menu for that day. I would with the help of my coworkers collect the vegetables, meats, rolls and any other ingredients needed to prepare the menu. Everyone worked together at different times to accomplish our time schedule in having the meal ready to be served by lunch time. Also made food trays for our adult and children daycare's. Prepared lunches for meals on wheels program for the elderly in our county. We were always trying new recipes for our people who enjoyed eating at the senior center, to add a variety of options. The hardest part of the job was making sure we had everything ready by lunch. And the most enjoyable part was pleasing the people who enjoyed our meals and meeting new people.
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
Time schedules to be met.
Taught advocacy skills to consumers and helped on a Taskforce to bring services to the city of San Francisco
Advocate (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAJune 2, 2016
Worked on the Mental Health Service Act which empowered people with disabilities to receive the assistance to be productive and to manage their diagnoses. Taught clients public speaking to address legislative staff for program to operate in the City of San Francisco.
Good
Vocational Specialist Qualified Professional ACTT (Former Employee) –  North CarolinaMay 12, 2016
Good place to work, nice people, enjoyed working with clients, helping them reach goals. Hardest part of the job waiting for a crisis bed to come open at the hospital
Great place to start
Shift Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Springfield, MA 01109May 8, 2016
This is an excellent agency to start your career in the human service field. Management is helpful and there are many opportunities for to learn (trainings).
Cerfied Forensic Peer Specialist (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAMay 5, 2016
great with in-service training, allow me to work independently with little supervision. patient and supportive co-workerrs
Cons
Fun, challenging, a lot of trainings which you need to take every one you can.
Residential Assistant (Former Employee) –  Springfield, MAMarch 7, 2016
MHA always let me know that there was a place for me back there when I advanced to my next job. A staff that did meetings once a week at the house saw my potential referred me to my next job but I never felt like I was "at home after that". MHA keeps its staff very well taken care of with the benefits and always has upper management on site frequently to make sure things are being done correctly.

I miss it but I always knew after giving my 18 day notice and staying on per diem for a while that I wanted to keep the lines of communication open for future positions. I am going to school. I have been in school 5-1/2 years. I will be in my masters in counseling psychology next year and my doctorates in clinical psychology in 3 years. MHA gave me a good start, gave me what I need to progress, I did twice, and now I want to take all tha knowledge and really help.

A typical day at work when I worked there was the client was number one. Are they safe, are they setting goals and are they realistic goals? Are they achieving them? If not, why? Taking very small steps to get to another small step. Patience is a big one in residential.

It is not a job. There are two kinds of people, some there for a paycheck and it is just a job and others to move forward always and to learn.

The most enjoyable part of the job: Watching individuals start to get jobs or start to shower on their own. Watching them smile or even just succeed at something that is huge to them and to you-because you understand. .
Pros
It gave me the skills I needed to advance, great benefiits
Cons
Full time supervisor there for wrong reasons, but she is no longer with the company
Great pay not enough hours
Recovery Assistant (Former Employee) –  Litchfield, CTDecember 27, 2015
I was paid well but felt 15 hrs a week wasnt enough was ready to take on more hours but just not enough client base the company hired to many people which shortened hours for everyone.
Pros
paid weekly.
Cons
not enough hours
Great company to work with. I love working here.
Administrative Assistant/ Billing Clerk (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PADecember 15, 2015
Great company, very close net. Everyone is always will to help, over all just a real fantastic place to work. The company give back to it's participants by hiring the ones that has completed a program.
Pros
Making project management decision on my own.
Cons
The fact that the company is a non-profit.
help people
Assist consumers (Current Employee) –  Hempstead, NYNovember 12, 2015
the most enjoyable part of my job is helping people less fortunate then me. My co-workers are very supportive and we work well together as a team. The hardest part of my job is traveling to the different apartment sites in Nassau county in bad weather. Also it gets a little stressful when you have to contact 911 when one of our residents becomes symptomatic
Pros
free trainings.
Cons
no raises, horrible medical insurance, no lunch breaks
Multi-Faceted
Account Specialist (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAOctober 23, 2015
It is an excellent place to work. It has diverse of populations it services. An individual will get a wealth of experience and exposure.
I liked working here
Residential Assistant (Former Employee) –  springfield, maOctober 21, 2015
I fell in-love with the participants that I took care of, as long as you keep them happy the job is easy. Passing the meds was way easier than the training made it seem. There are a lot of trainings but the trainings are very knowledgeable.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Mental Health Association. Our community is ready to answer.