Mental Health Partners Employee Reviews

The opposite of employer of choice
clinician (Former Employee) –  BoulderMay 29, 2016
Management and MHP executives have noted the higher than average turnover rate and the turnover rate has been expressed in meetings. This is not the employer of choice. This is not a healthy work environment--high case loads, stringent policies, and a culture where communication is not encouraged amongst staff. Clear signs of little or no training amongst some management team staff.

The manner in which performance is measured borders on being illegal, the benefits are sub par, and because of the high case load/low pay many staff members are very stressed and can make for a toxic work environment . Isn't this ironic that this is a mental health facility?
Pros
Gain supervision hours for licensure, other team members to commurserate the bad work environment
Cons
Shorts breaks, low chance of getting a raise
Cannot retain talent and qualified staff
Intern (Former Employee) –  Boulder County, COFebruary 5, 2017
MHP does an excellent job in hiring excellent and qualified candidates (if not over qualified). However, MHP could work better in supporting employees and retaining individuals. The turn over rate is very high. The "revolving door" aspect of employee turnover rate is not supportive to clients who need services and not supportive of the budget and work environment.

Being short staffed is very stressful. The case load is very high, and as a result, the qualify of client care. I would also recommend that MHP reevaluate individuals who work in management as the quality of individuals who are in charge of supervision was very poor and feel this is a contributing factor to the high turn over rate.
Pros
opportunity to gain supervision hours and hours towards license
Cons
high turn over rate, poor management
Horrible
Ex-Employee (Former Employee) –  Boulder, COMay 13, 2016
Do not work here. You will regret it. It used to be a great place to work but has steadily gone downhill since the hiring of a clinical psychiatrist into the Chief Strategy Officer role in 2013. Management is out of touch and there is a culture of elitism and secrecy. Technical decisions are made by non-technical people and large scale projects frequently fail. The organization is top heavy and needs a haircut and a shake up to oust the entrenched. They claim to want to be the "employer of choice" for Boulder County. Laughable comedy. Save yourself headaches and heartaches. Skip over this company and aim higher.
Pros
Nice campus location in Boulder
Cons
Management, Elitism, Out of touch, stale, parking
'Elite' Top Heavy Management not clued in to employees or clients
Psychiatrist (Current Employee) –  IrisApril 6, 2016
Top Heavy Management concerned more with their job titles (VP's and Directors) than providing a constructive work environment for their employees interfacing directly with clients. Management has created a segregated 'elite' group. One recent example is they renamed the Sr, Systems Administrator (IT position) to Director of IT because they could not find anyone to accept the Sr. Systems Administrator position. Non-technical management can not make decisions. Don't waste your time here if you want a long, fulfilling career.
Pros
Understaffed, highly stressed employees get the job done regardless of Managment
Cons
focus too much on nonsense job titles; separation of Management and Employees
A good place to get started and learn
Internship (Former Employee) –  Boulder, COJune 1, 2016
The very high caseload, the lack of communication from management, concerns constantly being ignored, and the pressure to manage many cases has lead to an unsatisfactory feeling of "burnt out" (I am happy my internship is over) . In my short time, I observed staff members frequently quitting.
Pros
Passionate coworkers, good place to start career
Cons
Turnover rate seems high
Can not attract enough good talent
House Manager/Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Longmont, COAugust 5, 2016
I wouldn't recommend working here long term. Too much turmoil and understaffed. Skip this place and look elsewhere. Very Liberal environment creates folks that get sidetracked and can't focus on the critical issues. Cutting costs is more important to executive staff.
Pros
help for folks with mental issues
Cons
Unliked CSO, low moral, high turnover, understaffed
Community Mental Helath
Clinical Mental Health Counseling Intern (Former Employee) –  Broomfield, COFebruary 6, 2017
MHP is a wonderful organization with a dedicated and very intelligent staff. They are committed to providing the best possible service to each client and working hard to contribute to the community it serves.
Active environment with a lot of freedom for creativity. Support from team members and other staff when difficult situations arose.
Recovery Care Coordinator- Case (Former Employee) –  Longmont, COAugust 24, 2015
The work day included charting, meeting with multiple clients for hour long sessions, organizing for groups and or helping in the milieu.
MHP was a place where I learned about the Psychosocial Rehabilitation Model, Assertive Community Treatment Model, Motivational Interviewing, Dialectical Behavioral Therapy, Cognitive Behavioral Therapy, and other evidence based practices.
I enjoyed and appreciated my co-workers and supervisors and the amount of support they were always willing to provide.
Difficult situations would arise with clients from time to time and having minimal resources could often be a struggle.
The most enjoyable aspect of this job was seeing clients succeed and simply being able to spend time with them.
Pros
Supportive, flexible, creative environment
Cons
Salary, minimal resources
Low pay, constant threats of job cuts, budget cuts and poor moral
House inpatiemt manager (Former Employee) –  Boulder, CoSeptember 27, 2014
After 6 years of hard work in difficult work environment I lost my job due "budget cuts". Working directly in an inpatient environment certainly had its moments as well as very fullfilling knowing you are helping those with extreme mental illnesses.
Working with tight budgets was very difficult knowing Center spends money in other unnecessary ways. Upper management's remarks were but you're helping people get better. Hmmmm they all seemed to be living very well.
Was good experience along with stressful times.
Luckily I got a much better paying job, enabling me to move out of the trailer park. Yup that's right, most of the therapists lived in low income housing. I hope they also found better work.
Pros
helping people with extreme mental illnesses
Cons
low pay, poor benefits, stressful environment with constant threats of budget cuts
Serious Management Trouble
Anonymous (Current Employee) –  Boulder County, COMay 17, 2016
I agree with other reviews saying there is an "Elitism" attitude with upper management. It started in 2013 when the Chief Strategy Officer came on board. He was a very poor selection for a position that is not even needed. He unfairly eliminated very talented technical people that were leading MHP in the right direction. MHP has been wavering ever since with no technical leadership.
Pros
help to needy people
Cons
over worked, understaffed, no technical leadership
focus is on cutting cost, low pay, part-time positions, eliminating workers
Sr Network Director (Current Employee) –  Boulder, COSeptember 12, 2014
Seems like the emphasis here is not on "Mental Health" but more on cost cutting and reduction of staff and/or hours. The hardest part of the job is remaining focused when all the people around you are overworked and stressed. Senior Management is pretty incompetent (not skilled in people management). In my opinion .. If you are an RN you are better off elsewhere
Pros
excellent benefits, working with people
Cons
overworked, underpaid, age discrimination
Very Positive Environment
Nurse (Current Employee) –  Boulder/LongmontNovember 20, 2013
Currently working at MHP and enjoy working with other mental health professionals that are truly dedicated to their jobs, and the welfare of our clients. Working with families and individuals to improve their life circumstances is very rewarding. Helping the clients/families in the same communities that we live in, is empowering for both our clients and staff. Love my job! Wonderful team and management support. Good hours and benefits!
Pros
Great work environment!
Cons
none at this time
Don't send your child here! What kind of place is this?
Assistant (Former Employee) –  Denver, COApril 10, 2016
Not surprising this place has bad reviews.
Requiring:
Bachelor’s Degree in Education, Special Education, Psychology, Social Work
Also required: Two to five years relevant experience in traditional and non-traditional youth service setting and...
Need to have:
....Experience working with students with severe emotional and behavioral problems, empathy for mood and personality disordered teens

The pay rates $12.76 to $17??!!

No parent should send their child here when the salaries for this type of skill level is this low! Stunned.
Frustrating, disheartening, toxic work environment
Outpatient Counselor (Former Employee) –  Longmont, CO 80501March 28, 2016
Caseloads were through the roof, clinicians were constantly quitting due to burn out, management ignored our concerns and basically told us we weren't working efficiently enough. People (like me) were referred to (by our CEO) as a "negative Nellys" for bringing up legitimate concerns about the ethics of what we were being asked to do.
Pros
They paid for CAC classes
Cons
See above
Outstanding Way To Grow In Knowledge
Case Manager II (Former Employee) –  Boulder, COFebruary 19, 2015
I worked for this company for about 15 months and loved being here. The management is wonderful and really aid in your professional growth. The weekly supervision meetings help with your growth as a professional with honest feedback and wonderful support for what you are doing well. The company encourages a balance between professional and personal life as well as encourages you to enjoy what you are doing with your professional life.

The only flaw in this company, that I had found, is they do not reward good work with promotions. If you want to move up within this company, they post ads on job boards as well as accept resumes and applications from within. There is no special consideration given to current employees over outside applicants.
Pros
Wonderful environment. Great people. Work/Life Balance
Cons
No Promotions
low employee moral, no technical leadership in IS Dept, lacking obtainable goals
IS Project focus (Current Employee) –  Boulder, CODecember 13, 2013
Mental Health Partners was a great place to work. Now, however, the work environment has changed significantly since the layoff of the much loved Director of IT. A Clinical Psychologist acting as the Cheif Strategy Officer has decided to take over the IT department and micromanage it and therefore, eliminated the Director's position. This new guy is difficult to deal with because he expects too much, has no real management experience and has very little technical knowledge. Job security and future outlook do not look very good.
Pros
small company good cause
Cons
low moral, lack of technical management, overworked, hypercritical
not a good work environmnet for anyone with excellent IT experience
IT (Former Employee) –  BoulderFebruary 8, 2015
I wouldn't recommend anyone who is good technically and looking for a long term IT career work here. It would be too frustrating. The management is inexperienced, non-technical and has no long term planning or prioritization skills. Both deadlines and workloads are unrealistic since they are driven by nontechnical Psychologists.
Pros
friendly people, located in Beautiful Boulder
Cons
lower pay, disorganized & inexperienced management, limited career opportunity
A productive and encouraging learning environment for youth
Behavioral Specialist (Current Employee) –  Boulder, CODecember 9, 2014
Assist in the development of the treatment plan with the identification and implementation of behavioral rules and consequences
Design and conduct daily group activities proceeded by the documentation of progress notes
Monitor, analyze and collaborate with teachers, therapists, mental health workers and students in developing, implementing and monitoring individual student academic and behavioral progress
Participate in program development, case management and milieu supervision
Implement specific behavior management techniques to obtain behavior modification
Utilize appropriate therapeutic interventions designed to help students practice coping skills and achieve academic success
Interventionist Counselor
Interventionist Counselor (Former Employee) –  Boulder, CONovember 7, 2012
I worked with students at both Erie Colorado Middle and High School. I was providing support and confidential counseling for the students as part of Mental Health Partnership, a third party agency and thus exempt from the policies that the school counselors had of sharing all information that students shared with the rest of the school system. I was required to keep notes on all interactions with students and fill out ongoing progress notes as well as confer with a Mental Health Partnership supervisor on all of the students that saw me.
I learned that the open policy of the school system harbored distrust from the students and that many of them felt I was the last resource available to them. I also saw that many of them were dealing with issues that required services which exceeded what the school or in some cases state could adequately provide and that in many instances my ear was the only saving grace at their disposal. I felt it an honor to have had that opportunity and had the funding been available past the month contract date which I had signed I would have gladly stayed longer.
I suppose the hardest part of the job was hearing some of the stories that the children shared. They told stories that bordered on abuse and neglect and in only one instance met with standards that were sufficient for me to break my confidentiality and seek aid on the child's behalf.
That being said the children also shared the high points of their lives. I found that after the first week and a half they were divulging their hopes and dreams as they learned to trust me and some of them began to
  more... do some wonderful and heart felt work. In addition though I could not share their stories I as able to help some of them reframe their own stories and to then share their experiences with other counselors and or teachers from their schools. In this way a few of those students were able to take power back over their lives.  less
Pros
my own office, wonderful school employees that cared about the students
Cons
being a contract job there were no benefits.
Poor Exec Management
Clinical Psychologist (Current Employee) –  Boulder, COJune 13, 2015
Good place to work if you like to help people but get paid very little. Everyone seems to be over worked, under paid and highly stressed.. High turn over, poor direction from CSO focused only on money. It would be nice to hire some experienced business people instead of psychologists... the executive team has been in place too long so there are no new ideas, very stagnant.
Pros
Helping people
Cons
Poor leadership, Lack of Direction, Focus is on cutting budgets and laying people off, High Stress

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Mental Health Partners. Our community is ready to answer.

2.5