Mental Health Partners Employee Reviews

Able to utilize skill set, organization resistant to change
Customer Service Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Boulder, COSeptember 8, 2015
Two stars. Able to utilize skills. Passion for client quality of life and recovery mid level staff and down. Upper management lack of client focus.
Pros
Able to utilize skills, client focused mid level staff
Cons
Upper management lack of client focus
Not The MHC it used to Be
Supervisor- Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Boulder, COAugust 31, 2015
Management heavy, clients come second, HR is there for the upper managers only in personnel issues.
One of the most stressful environments I have ever worked!
Active environment with a lot of freedom for creativity. Support from team members and other staff when difficult situations arose.
Recovery Care Coordinator- Case (Former Employee) –  Longmont, COAugust 24, 2015
The work day included charting, meeting with multiple clients for hour long sessions, organizing for groups and or helping in the milieu.
MHP was a place where I learned about the Psychosocial Rehabilitation Model, Assertive Community Treatment Model, Motivational Interviewing, Dialectical Behavioral Therapy, Cognitive Behavioral Therapy, and other evidence based practices.
I enjoyed and appreciated my co-workers and supervisors and the amount of support they were always willing to provide.
Difficult situations would arise with clients from time to time and having minimal resources could often be a struggle.
The most enjoyable aspect of this job was seeing clients succeed and simply being able to spend time with them.
Pros
Supportive, flexible, creative environment
Cons
Salary, minimal resources
Poor Exec Management
Clinical Psychologist (Current Employee) –  Boulder, COJune 13, 2015
Good place to work if you like to help people but get paid very little. Everyone seems to be over worked, under paid and highly stressed.. High turn over, poor direction from CSO focused only on money. It would be nice to hire some experienced business people instead of psychologists... the executive team has been in place too long so there are no new ideas, very stagnant.
Pros
Helping people
Cons
Poor leadership, Lack of Direction, Focus is on cutting budgets and laying people off, High Stress
Joyless unfriendly place to work
Substance Abuse Counselor (Former Employee) –  Longmont, COFebruary 21, 2015
The AOP Program in Longmont is chaotic and unorganized. The manager and supervisor have no sense of humor and are heady and unfeeling. They cannot find anyone to fill the substance abuse counselor there, so asked me to do a month's documentation backed up because the other people before me were "mishaps". Mental Health Partners (MHP) is not interested in hiring people who have warmth and good clinical skills. It's about overkill in paper work for job security. There is a lot of judgmental people in the management structure too. For example, at the last new employee orientation, we were watching a video on cross-cultural sensitivities. A man addressed that it is going to be tricky for him because he is going to work with law enforcement, which may be a culture of punishment, while he comes from a more treatment point of view. I have over 15 years working with offenders in community corrections. I stated that I too had some struggles when dealing with the criminal culture, as well as a culture of punishment in the half-way house program where I worked. When I expressed that, I was shot down by the presenter, an unfriendly aggressive woman who judged me and my opinion and experience. I dare say she never worked with manipulative criminals or sociopaths. MHP is a culture of stoic unfeeling aggressive women. I was let go after a week because I struggled to learn the hundreds of guidelines to make even a simple note in a timely manner. I passed the Spanish proficiency test, but they are not committed to reaching out to monolingual Spanish-speaking consumers. Bilingual clinicians are  more... hard to find, and they could care less. HR is maxed out and looks down at you if you are struggling. IS too. They're probably over-worked and under-paid. Anyway, I wish any new employee in this culture good luck. They take a lot of money from Medicaid and provide terrible treatment.  less
Pros
nothing
Cons
unfriendly management
Outstanding Way To Grow In Knowledge
Case Manager II (Former Employee) –  Boulder, COFebruary 19, 2015
I worked for this company for about 15 months and loved being here. The management is wonderful and really aid in your professional growth. The weekly supervision meetings help with your growth as a professional with honest feedback and wonderful support for what you are doing well. The company encourages a balance between professional and personal life as well as encourages you to enjoy what you are doing with your professional life.

The only flaw in this company, that I had found, is they do not reward good work with promotions. If you want to move up within this company, they post ads on job boards as well as accept resumes and applications from within. There is no special consideration given to current employees over outside applicants.
Pros
wonderful environment. great people. work/life balance
Cons
no promotions
not a good work environmnet for anyone with excellent IT experience
IT (Former Employee) –  BoulderFebruary 8, 2015
I wouldn't recommend anyone who is good technically and looking for a long term IT career work here. It would be too frustrating. The management is inexperienced, non-technical and has no long term planning or prioritization skills. Both deadlines and workloads are unrealistic since they are driven by nontechnical Psychologists.
Pros
friendly people, located in beautiful boulder
Cons
lower pay, disorganized & inexperienced management, limited career opportunity
A productive and encouraging learning environment for youth
Behavioral Specialist (Current Employee) –  Boulder, CODecember 9, 2014
Assist in the development of the treatment plan with the identification and implementation of behavioral rules and consequences
Design and conduct daily group activities proceeded by the documentation of progress notes
Monitor, analyze and collaborate with teachers, therapists, mental health workers and students in developing, implementing and monitoring individual student academic and behavioral progress
Participate in program development, case management and milieu supervision
Implement specific behavior management techniques to obtain behavior modification
Utilize appropriate therapeutic interventions designed to help students practice coping skills and achieve academic success
stressful overworked environment, low pay, good benefits
Social Worker Emergency Services (Current Employee) –  Boulder, CONovember 14, 2014
Interesting work but very stressful. Lower pay, constant threats of budget cuts; don't feel appreciated or valuable as an employee. hate to see other folks laid off
Pros
pro- lesbian, gay, transexual orientation; very liberal; new emergency facility staffing yp
Cons
understaffed, layed off age 50+ people and replaced with younger, constant budget cuts
Demanding job
Intern (Former Employee) –  Boulder, COOctober 24, 2014
This was a demanding job requiring a lot of paperwork. I enjoyed working with clients at the front lines of their recovery from mental illness, however, found the agency as a whole was bogged down with too many clients and not enough clinicians, making the workload heavier on all parties.
Happy
Disaster and Emergency Response Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Boulder, COSeptember 29, 2014
I am happy to work at Mental Health Partners. My supervisor is incredibly supportive, and my colleagues are kind and helpful. My work is meaningful, and I get to work independently and participate in various committees.
Low pay, constant threats of job cuts, budget cuts and poor moral
House inpatiemt manager (Former Employee) –  Boulder, CoSeptember 27, 2014
After 6 years of hard work in difficult work environment I lost my job due "budget cuts". Working directly in an inpatient environment certainly had its moments as well as very fullfilling knowing you are helping those with extreme mental illnesses.
Working with tight budgets was very difficult knowing Center spends money in other unnecessary ways. Upper management's remarks were but you're helping people get better. Hmmmm they all seemed to be living very well.
Was good experience along with stressful times.
Luckily I got a much better paying job, enabling me to move out of the trailer park. Yup that's right, most of the therapists lived in low income housing. I hope they also found better work.
Pros
helping people with extreme mental illnesses
Cons
low pay, poor benefits, stressful environment with constant threats of budget cuts
focus is on cutting cost, low pay, part-time positions, eliminating workers
Sr Network Director (Current Employee) –  Boulder, COSeptember 12, 2014
Seems like the emphasis here is not on "Mental Health" but more on cost cutting and reduction of staff and/or hours. The hardest part of the job is remaining focused when all the people around you are overworked and stressed. Senior Management is pretty incompetent (not skilled in people management). In my opinion .. If you are an RN you are better off elsewhere
Pros
excellent benefits, working with people
Cons
overworked, underpaid, age discrimination
Low pay, poor executive management - seems disorganized & not consistent
Sr. Clinical Specialist (Current Employee) –  Longmont, COAugust 27, 2014
Fun place to work to help indigent clients. Upper management is focused on money more than employee loyalty. low pay, limited job security due to budget cuts - currently expanding but may cut back later due to budget constraints
Pros
help indigent clients, independence
Cons
low pay
Professional workplace and positive work culture.
Filing Clerk (Current Employee) –  Boulder, COAugust 9, 2014
I enjoy working at Mental Health Partners. It is an excellent non-profit organization. It offers help to a large population in healthcare.
Pros
positive workplace.
Cons
not enough hours.
good
Clinical Counselor Substance Abuse Specialist (Current Employee) –  Hickory, NCFebruary 3, 2014
The hardest part of my job is not being able to truy help some one face to face otherwise it is a good place to work.
Mental Health
Account Receivable Specialist (Current Employee) –  Boulder, CoJanuary 23, 2014
I enjoy that this company takes care of mental health patients no matter what there ability to pay is.
low employee moral, no technical leadership in IS Dept, lacking obtainable goals
IS Project focus (Current Employee) –  Boulder, CODecember 13, 2013
Mental Health Partners was a great place to work. Now, however, the work environment has changed significantly since the layoff of the much loved Director of IT. A Clinical Psychologist acting as the Cheif Strategy Officer has decided to take over the IT department and micromanage it and therefore, eliminated the Director's position. This new guy is difficult to deal with because he expects too much, has no real management experience and has very little technical knowledge. Job security and future outlook do not look very good.
Pros
small company good cause
Cons
low moral, lack of technical management, overworked, hypercritical
Hostile work environment brought on by non-technical, micro-management from Chief Strategy Officer
IS Tech (Current Employee) –  Boulder, CODecember 12, 2013
A new Chief Strategy Officer (a clinical psychologist) came aboard in April and changed the work environment from cooperative to very hostile. No one seem to care for his management style. He has to take control and micro-manage employees which is very counterproductive to getting work done. This Strategy Officer is very unapproachable, non-technical and has obviously never managed before. Seems he has taken on more work than one human can successfully handle.

Employees were in disbelief, shocked and angered when the Chief Strategy Office eliminated the Director of IT's position because allegedly he wanted to be able to micro-manage the Director of IT's direct reports. Apparently they clashed because the Strategy Officer is a non-technical dreamer and the Director of IT focuses on practical implementation and commitment to maintaining the budget (comes from experience). The Director of IT was highly experienced having 20+ years of technical directorship. Everyone loved and respected this Director. He acted as mentor and confident and always went to bat for his direct reports. He was a highly valuable resource.

The Chief Strategy Officer seems to have too high of expectations (due to lack of experience) and seems very critical of employees. It appears very doubtful that he will appreciate employees and even write positive reviews. There doesn't appear to be any future under his direction. Employees are in fear of their own jobs being eliminated since they have already seen it happen. Some are now looking for other opportunities.
Pros
producing a quality product for health care
Cons
micro-management, ill treatment of respected employees, fear of job elimination
Very Positive Environment
Nurse (Current Employee) –  Boulder/LongmontNovember 20, 2013
Currently working at MHP and enjoy working with other mental health professionals that are truly dedicated to their jobs, and the welfare of our clients. Working with families and individuals to improve their life circumstances is very rewarding. Helping the clients/families in the same communities that we live in, is empowering for both our clients and staff. Love my job! Wonderful team and management support. Good hours and benefits!
Pros
great work environment!
Cons
none at this time

2.8