Merced County Office of Education Employee Reviews

Decent pay hateful admin
Special Education Teacher (Former Employee) –  Los banosAugust 24, 2016
I really enjoyed my students and most of the people I worked for. A huge problem is internal politics, many many people are related and they do not hesitate to gossip and use there connections to try to hurt people they don't like. Administration was on a total power trip more concerned with money and liability than student safety or education. I have worked at 6 schools and been in special education for more than 15 years and have never seen such systemic disregard for students with blatant legal violations and constant confrontation with parents. This county could be a career killer, be very very cautious. I was nonreelected without a contractual evaluation or any feedback on how to improve except for incompetent statements from an administrator that told me she had no sped training accusing me of not teaching because I was implementing student accommodations for their disabilities and never even bothered to look at my extensive data on student work and progress or student plans and then went on to attribute my students success to my aides that I trained. I've never seen such incompetence and would never wish the experience I had or what I saw others go through on my worst enemy.
Pros
Great students, decent pay, some good coworkers
Cons
Spiteful backstabbing administrators, takes the joy out of teaching
Decent job if you don't have a personal life
Assistive Technology Technician (Former Employee) –  Merced, CAAugust 8, 2016
management is horrid
everything is disorganized
co-workers are untrustworthy
only enjoyable part of the job was benefits and pay
productive and clean
Preschool Teacher (Former Employee) –  Merced, CAApril 20, 2016
It was overall a happy place to be, Lots of smiles in the workplace.
Most coworkers were nice and likeable. I would recommend working in this place because it gives you an opportunity for advancement.
Pros
free breakfast and lunch
Cons
short breaks, no luncheon area, toothbrushing was insanitary
Advancement good, Great Atmosphere, really enjoyed working there.
Financial Advisor over 22 school district. (Former Employee) –  Merced, CaliforniaFebruary 16, 2012
If you do your job to the best of your ability you can get moved up with more pay. The Company provided coffee and tea for breaks and people were allowed to bring in food for everyone. Pay was ok and the benefits were good. People went out to eat together. Really enjoyed the ability to make other people look good in their ability to do their job.
Pros
good atmosphere, advancement possibility.
Cons
long hours, at times i worked close to 14 hours a day.
Good place to work, not always a lot of room for advancement
Behavior Support Intern (Current Employee) –  Merced, CAFebruary 17, 2016
I enjoy the atmosphere for the most part, but there tends to be a lot of unnecessary drama. The people in charge do not necessarily like to listen to the individuals doing the work and make decisions without understanding what is really happening. I like that I have the ability to attend events with my children's school with out being reprimanded, in fact the promote involvement in school activities (i.e. field trips, parent teacher conferences, etc.)
Open tutor position
Tutor/Supervisor/Office Aid (Former Employee) –  Merced, CAJanuary 5, 2016
This was an old program that was revived by employing a new supervisor.

I went to a local high school and was an available tutor in different classrooms for different periods. My tutoring field then was Mathematics up to Trigonometry and Statistics. I was placed with Math block students who did not feel the need to learn Math. The hardest part about my job was trying to get these students interested in Math, because it was crucial and urgent for them to learn algebra and geometry which would be the next steps up.
Pros
Flexible hours, high school of choice
Cons
Wage requirements low and hours degraded
my position was temporary
After School Program Assistant (Former Employee) –  Merced, CAApril 6, 2016
my position was temporary helped prepare snacks . supervised outside and indoor activities. Assisted students with homework.
Was an okay place to work, very dirty.
Custodian (Former Employee) –  Dos Palos, CAMarch 2, 2016
I did not enjoy working for this company, the teachers were very dirty and rude. The main office is wonderful and all of the employees in the HR department worked very hard, but the teachers for head start did not keep their classes or offices clean.
Always a surprise
Sub Aide (Former Employee) –  Merced, CAJanuary 28, 2016
This was an on call position. I never knew where I was going to work just for how long. I learned that we really need to be thankful for being able to function in a normal capacity. I got along with everyone I worked with . The hardest part of the job was seeing the kids with disabilities. I loved seeing them smile even about the simple things.
Pros
off by 3pm
Cons
on call work only
Great place to work for. Very good work life balance
supervisor (Current Employee) –  Merced, CAJuly 10, 2013
It is a great place to work at. Very low stress and management is very understanding. Work and life balance are great
Pros
Great work schedule awesome life/work balance
Cons
compensation and benefits
Productive and Professional working environment
CAL-SOAP Program College Advisor & Tutor (Current Employee) –  732 W 13th StreetJune 20, 2013
Wonderful job, staff, and co-workers. Every day of work is filled with positive energy since we work with High School students. At the end of the day, it feels good to know we have impacted at least one or several student's career path. This job is such a eye-opening and valuable experience that I believe will help me continue to succeed in whatever I do as long as I am committed to helping our community.
place where you get to know about yourself
Instructional Aide (Former Employee) –  Merced, CANovember 13, 2015
the job was very good, but all depends on the teacher. some teachers are bette than others, for example, if you go to a class that is mad crazy then horrible teacher.
Pros
free lunch and paid well.
Cons
some of your employees don't care.
Merced County Office of Education
Substitute Teacher (Former Employee) –  Merced, CAMarch 14, 2013
Merced County Office of Education is an employer that has good stability, a variety of jobs, and good benefits package.
Kids are cool.
Substitute Instructional Aide (Former Employee) –  Merced, CAJune 14, 2012
Management did not apply in that position. I had a different teacher every time I worked. I enjoyed working with the children, and having a different environment to work in everyday.
Pros
the kids, never the same day twice.
Cons
i
Good for growth
Recreational Leader (Former Employee) –  Merced, CAFebruary 8, 2014
Typical day at work is fast pace. Management team is unfair with the team members.
Pros
great cusotmers
Motivator and mentor that gives 100%
ROP Career Technician (Current Employee) –  Merced, CAMarch 25, 2014
The best part of my days is being able to work closely with students and staff. I have learned so much from the students, and they have taught me to be a more compassionate and caring person. My goal is to try my best to reach every student that I work with and give them 150% of myself, and to teach them to be the best they can possible be. My motto is to never give up and try your very best.
Pros
Being able to touch other peoples lives
Cons
Not enough work hours to help the students succeed
I have an outgoing personality who enjoys the outdoors, snow skiiing, boating and any activities that involve being near water. I am an animal person.
Substitute teacher for Merced (Current Employee) –  Merced, CAMarch 6, 2014
Although my experience has been in teaching, my personal goals were also fulfilled. I accomplished my goals by taking seminars in business start up, classes in grant writing, seminars on corporation and non-profit organization start-up. Through research I have helped small business owners apply for Trade Mark on their business logo.
Enjoyable, productive experience as a first time job.
Secretary (Former Employee) –  Merced, CAMarch 26, 2012
I worked 0800-1530 Mon-Fri which consisted of answering phones, scheduling meetings, setting up arrangements for meetings, typing memo's, filing, faxing, copying, typewriting, making posters, attending events at local high schools. I can honestly say there weren't any hard aspects of the job. I absolutely loved everything about it!
Pros
responsibility at a young age, experience.
Cons
there were no cons!
Great job to experience the education system
Sub Instructional Aide (Current Employee) –  mercedNovember 30, 2012
This job includes working with various kinds of special needs students, assiting in projects in the classroom, and working one on one with the student to expand their learning experience. It was so much fun connecting with the children and teaching them everyday life skills. This job definitely taught me a lot about patience and leadership skills.
I learned a lot and became confident in Group Facilitation
Nurturing Parenting Facilitator (Current Employee) –  Merced, CAMay 21, 2015
It was a great work environment. The location was good. I had everything to succeed. I had great support. Excellent Pay. I had a great team. I felt secure.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Merced County Office of Education. Our community is ready to answer.

Merced County Office of Education Reviews by Location