Merced County Office of Education Employee Reviews

Facilitator/ Instructor (Current Employee) –  Merced, CAOctober 30, 2017
Love the interaction between teaching and engaging people in the community and assisting them with learning how to better help themselves and others. Great management team and staff to work with.
Love my job
Vocational Instructor (Current Employee) –  CAJuly 17, 2017
Love working there. Clients are great and my co-workers are too. Its a comfortable working environment. Very professional company that takes pride in its employees at times.
Learning a lot and have great supporters
Instructional Aide (Current Employee) –  Merced, CAJune 25, 2017
My typical day starts with checking emails, then our first class comes in. They are two hour blocks so we stay busy. After lunch we will have another class come in. Once all the classes are finished for the day, it is time to catch up all the other work and get ready for tomorrow.
Always fun
Head Start Associate Teacher (Current Employee) –  Merced, CAJune 7, 2017
There is not really a typical day at work some days are better than others. I've learned that all that matters in making a difference in the kids lives even if just a smile or a hug. Management we all worked as a team. Always fun and stressful at the same time stressful because every day counts for these kids and making they are responded to you and the material being taught. Hardest part of my job I would say making sure these kids are learning and having fun doing it. The most enjoyable part of my job is knowing that you are making a difference in these children lives.
Pros
The kids
Cons
End of the year
Nice place to work.
After School Teacher (Current Employee) –  Merced, CAApril 18, 2017
If working with kids is something you want to do this is a great place to get your start. When working with students you are in complete control of the class and how you maintain order. You also get to work closely with the parents.
Fun place two work for students
CHILDREN'S ACTIVITY DIRECTOR (Former Employee) –  Merced, CAFebruary 13, 2017
I learned great office skills, customer service and how to deal with different situations when it came to students and parents.
Pros
Good first office experience
Cons
to short
Very professional
SH Teacher (Former Employee) –  Merced, CAFebruary 8, 2017
Nice place to work. Everyone is very professional and willing to help you out if you need help. Some driving is required when going to meetings with parents or other staff members.
fun and educational
School Van Driver (Current Employee) –  Merced, CADecember 16, 2016
great place to work with co-works that help make your day better.the pay is good. you get holidays off and your off by 3pm every day. driving students to school and back home. doing mail every day lets you enjoy the company of others.
Pros
get off holidays
Cons
no pay during holidays
Decent pay hateful admin
Special Education Teacher (Former Employee) –  Los banosAugust 24, 2016
I really enjoyed my students and most of the people I worked for. A huge problem is internal politics, many many people are related and they do not hesitate to gossip and use there connections to try to hurt people they don't like. Administration was on a total power trip more concerned with money and liability than student safety or education. I have worked at 6 schools and been in special education for more than 15 years and have never seen such systemic disregard for students with blatant legal violations and constant confrontation with parents. This county could be a career killer, be very very cautious. I was nonreelected without a contractual evaluation or any feedback on how to improve except for incompetent statements from an administrator that told me she had no sped training accusing me of not teaching because I was implementing student accommodations for their disabilities and never even bothered to look at my extensive data on student work and progress or student plans and then went on to attribute my students success to my aides that I trained. I've never seen such incompetence and would never wish the experience I had or what I saw others go through on my worst enemy.
Pros
Great students, decent pay, some good coworkers
Cons
Spiteful backstabbing administrators, takes the joy out of teaching
Decent job if you don't have a personal life
Assistive Technology Technician (Former Employee) –  Merced, CAAugust 8, 2016
management is horrid
everything is disorganized
co-workers are untrustworthy
only enjoyable part of the job was benefits and pay
productive and clean
Preschool Teacher (Former Employee) –  Merced, CAApril 20, 2016
It was overall a happy place to be, Lots of smiles in the workplace.
Most coworkers were nice and likeable. I would recommend working in this place because it gives you an opportunity for advancement.
Pros
free breakfast and lunch
Cons
short breaks, no luncheon area, toothbrushing was insanitary
my position was temporary
After School Program Assistant (Former Employee) –  Merced, CAApril 6, 2016
my position was temporary helped prepare snacks . supervised outside and indoor activities. Assisted students with homework.
Was an okay place to work, very dirty.
Custodian (Former Employee) –  Dos Palos, CAMarch 2, 2016
I did not enjoy working for this company, the teachers were very dirty and rude. The main office is wonderful and all of the employees in the HR department worked very hard, but the teachers for head start did not keep their classes or offices clean.
Good place to work, not always a lot of room for advancement
Behavior Support Intern (Current Employee) –  Merced, CAFebruary 17, 2016
I enjoy the atmosphere for the most part, but there tends to be a lot of unnecessary drama. The people in charge do not necessarily like to listen to the individuals doing the work and make decisions without understanding what is really happening. I like that I have the ability to attend events with my children's school with out being reprimanded, in fact the promote involvement in school activities (i.e. field trips, parent teacher conferences, etc.)
Always a surprise
Sub Aide (Former Employee) –  Merced, CAJanuary 28, 2016
This was an on call position. I never knew where I was going to work just for how long. I learned that we really need to be thankful for being able to function in a normal capacity. I got along with everyone I worked with . The hardest part of the job was seeing the kids with disabilities. I loved seeing them smile even about the simple things.
Pros
off by 3pm
Cons
on call work only
Open tutor position
Tutor/Supervisor/Office Aid (Former Employee) –  Merced, CAJanuary 5, 2016
This was an old program that was revived by employing a new supervisor.

I went to a local high school and was an available tutor in different classrooms for different periods. My tutoring field then was Mathematics up to Trigonometry and Statistics. I was placed with Math block students who did not feel the need to learn Math. The hardest part about my job was trying to get these students interested in Math, because it was crucial and urgent for them to learn algebra and geometry which would be the next steps up.
Pros
Flexible hours, high school of choice
Cons
Wage requirements low and hours degraded
place where you get to know about yourself
Instructional Aide (Former Employee) –  Merced, CANovember 13, 2015
the job was very good, but all depends on the teacher. some teachers are bette than others, for example, if you go to a class that is mad crazy then horrible teacher.
Pros
free lunch and paid well.
Cons
some of your employees don't care.
I learned a lot and became confident in Group Facilitation
Nurturing Parenting Facilitator (Current Employee) –  Merced, CAMay 21, 2015
It was a great work environment. The location was good. I had everything to succeed. I had great support. Excellent Pay. I had a great team. I felt secure.
Local Education Agency
Instructor/Writer (Former Employee) –  CANovember 2, 2014
A typical day of work consisted of teaching 5-7 sections of high school language arts to students, by staff meetings and trainings for curriculum writing and English language development.
fun work place keeps you busy
Afterschool Program Assistant (Current Employee) –  Merced, CASeptember 15, 2014
an average day at work is finding new ways to keep students engaged in what ever activities we are doing for the day.