Mercer Employee Reviews

Horrible place and rude managers
Customer Service Rep (Former Employee) –  West Des Moines, IAJuly 14, 2017
Can't find help if you need it and they don't want to. The requirements to get bonuses are obserd, if you challenge a review you will get dismissed. Even if you prefer request time off 3 months in advance they won't more than likely won't comply.
Casual workplace but slow moving
Client Services Analyst II (Current Employee) –  Norwood, MAJuly 14, 2017
This is a very casual workplace that suffers from it's slow moving processes. Advancement can be difficult due to the limited budget and length of training new employees.
Pros
Job security
Cons
Compensation, advancement
Over worked, under payed
Participant Services Representative (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXJuly 13, 2017
This review is based on my experience which was during the recession and the company had a high rate of attrition. My job was helping customers from different companies(clients) with their annual insurance selection during open enrollment. The rest of the year was about answering benefit questions and submitting life change events. Initially everyone had one client which we were supposed to help exclusively. As more and more employees left the number of clients we all helped increased. Breaks were removed. There was a freeze on raises and absolutely no overtime allowed. Managers looked the other way as we worked through our lunches and stayed after hours to work off the clock. I'm sure things are better now.
Pros
Helping people with their benefits.
Cons
Working 15 to 20 extra hours each week without pay
Good work life balance, poor compensation
Client Services Analyst (Current Employee) –  Norwood, MAJuly 11, 2017
Can be very stressful. Much of your work life depends on the teamm that you are on. Good news is you will most likely be out the door at 5:pm 90% of your days.
Pros
Good hours
Cons
Poor compensation. Stress.
Good Place with Good People
Implementation Analyst (Current Employee) –  Louisville, KYJuly 11, 2017
Mercer is a good place to work with good people. There are not a lot of open opportunities for (monetary) vertical movement. Every 2-3 years, there are (expected) layoffs. It is overall a good place to work with some minor complaints.
Pros
Good friendly people
Cons
Layoff prone
Fun place to work
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAJuly 10, 2017
Mercer Philadelphia office is a great office to work in. The colleagues are very professional and pleasant. It is a very positive atmosphere in the office. Would love to work at that location again.
Stressful Work environment
Client Services Analyst (Former Employee) –  Brecksville, OHJuly 6, 2017
A definitely "Sink or Swim" environment.

There was very little support available for new employees.

Process documentation was poor or non-existent.
Not engaging
Retirement Consulting Actuarial Associate (Current Employee) –  Rochester, NYJuly 5, 2017
The actuarial work that I do is not engaging enough for me. There is little room for creativity as most of my day to day responsibilities involve checking others work.
Mercer is a Great place to work
Technical Support Analyst (Current Employee) –  Work from homeJune 28, 2017
Working from home is a great adventure and requires a great team. Technical support is for an software application for Employee benefit enrollments. The training at this company is min and needs improvement but a lot is learned on the job.
Great work Place
Participant Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Norwood, MAJune 28, 2017
This job taught me everything i needed to know about Call Centers.
I had a few Leads and they was all different and taught me how to lead my team.
On-broading and Training
Senior Client Implementations Analyst (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXJune 26, 2017
On-broading and training are areas needing improvement. The health and welfare line of business was a "sink or swim" environment, which made the learning more complicated than necessary.
Pros
Workout facility in building
Cons
Due to the nature of the business, our peak season was during the Thanksgiving and Christmas holidays
Ever Changing
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Johnston, IAJune 25, 2017
Never a dull moment. Everything can change on a daily basis. You are never able to tell a customer that their benefits are promised to remain the same
solid company
Senior Associate (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAJune 12, 2017
Great place to get experience in the insurance and consulting industry. Not a great work/life balance however because they have a ton of meetings you have to attend and it takes unnecessary time away from productivity. Everything is done their way so not a lot of thinking outside the box for the very creative types unfortunately.
Pros
a lot of vacation time & great benefits
Cons
The long bart commute. The parking situation.
Challenging, exciting fun enviornment
Participant Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXJune 6, 2017
Mercer Human Resources was a job that offered great opportunity to learn while having fun. Work day was very structured and organized. I learned about how the benefits offered by a company vary from company to company. Increased my natural multitasking skills and challenged me each day. Very diversified environment and well managed. Company often rewarded the environment with incentives for employee appreciation and
Pros
hours, enviorment, fitness center and challenging
Cons
time allotted for learning the information
They offer excellent benefits but no work life balance
Associate (Current Employee) –  Norwood, MAJune 5, 2017
There have been a lot of changes at Mercer and morale has suffered extensively. Everyone is unhappy and aside from the benefits, not much else is offered. Work life balance is nearly non-existent, working from home occasionally is no longer an option and micro-managing has taken the place of trust. I can not, in good conscience, recommend this employer. Hopefully something changes soon.
Great Place to Get in the Field
Participant Services Representative (Former Employee) –  Norwood, MAJune 5, 2017
A day at Mercer in my role was come in, log in to your systems, then calls would come flowing in. Learned a lot about 401k's, pension plans, and health care insurance. I enjoyed all of my different Team Leaders. During the time that I worked there, I was switched to 6 different teams. The workplace culture was quite prissy and inauthentic. The hardest thing about my job was waking up in the morning feeling unfulfilled and unmotivated due to the trauma of being a temp employee who constantly promises to made permanent. The most enjoyable part of the work was having a sense of being part of a team working towards an objective.
Pros
Great Cafeteria with Great food
Cons
Lack of integrity
Great place to work.
Principal Consultant (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLMay 31, 2017
Great company with many experts on staff, easy to contact various market leaders for assistance with clients and prospects. CEO on board 5+ years and is driving the company ion the right direction.
Very challenging, sometimes chaotic
Manager, IT-QA Manager (Current Employee) –  Norwood, MAMay 23, 2017
Mercer is a very challenging, dynamic place to work. Their compensation is average, but their benefit package is good. They also have a very robust diversity policy and actively support local community programs.

This is a global firm, with colleagues around the world. They also work with major consulting firms.

Mercer's client base ranges from very large international clients to 500 participant plans.
Pros
Solid benefit package, strong commitment to diversity.
Cons
No work life balance.
An experiencec
Senior Actuarial Analyst (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMay 23, 2017
Mercer was not the greatest company. They over-worked and expected a lot, however, even if you delivered, they failed to compendate or advance your career. When asked why I wasn't promoted, they told me I had to exhibit skills that I had already been showing for 6 months.
I would not recommend
Benefit Counselor (Licenses (Former Employee) –  Norwood, MAMay 23, 2017
I learned that a call center is not for me personally. If you like to be micromanaged at every turn and told that you are working for them and not the client, then you might enjoy working at Mercer. The best part about working for Mercer for me were my colleagues. The worst part was dealing with management and their constant threats to your job. Good Luck!
Pros
Colleagues are great!
Cons
Ascending the corporate ladder depends on if management likes you.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Mercer. Our community is ready to answer.