Merchants Bank Employee Reviews

The Bedwells are great people
Teller/Customer Service Rep (Current Employee) –  Jackson, ALJuly 16, 2017
Not always fair in their decisions when it comes to promotions. A lot of favoritism. Very understanding when it comes to children and family situations.
Pros
You are supposed to get 2 breaks and a 45 minute lunch
Cons
You do not always get to take break or lunch
acquired by Community Bank 05-2017
Corporate Accounting Manager (Current Employee) –  South Burlington, VTJune 28, 2017
Merchants Bank was acquired by Community Bank N.A in 05/2017. I no longer work there due to the acquisition. My finance job was relocated to Syracuse NY as part of the merger.
Worked close with the public via the phone assisting them with banking questions
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  South Burlington, VTJune 16, 2017
This was a position that required a polite and understanding individual. You had customers that had easy requests and then you had the customer who did not listen or understand what you told them because they knew it all and you knew nothing,
Pros
Free checks
Cons
work hours
fun respectful workplace
Loan Servicing Specialist II (Former Employee) –  South Burlington, VTMay 15, 2017
fast paced environment which encouraged learning and provided training. I loved my position and my coworkers. The work environment was positive, respectful and fun.
Merchants Bank is about to merge
Loan Officer (Current Employee) –  Rutland, VTFebruary 3, 2017
Responsibilities Experienced with VA, FHA, VHFA, Freddie Mac and Fannie Mae guidelines • Originate mortgages for home purchase, refinance, home equity, and new home construction • Review and analyze loan transaction packages for preliminary approval or denial in accordance with lender's guidelines • Assemble all required documents for processing and underwriting each transaction • Prepare and present all related deal points to lender when required • Assist clients with insurance and financial needs • Responsible for shopping out loans and locking in interest rates • Solidify contacts with local realtors, contractors, financial advisors, and other referral sources and meet all potential borrowers • Maintain strong customer service orientation in high volume environment
Fast paced drive in bank to the main bank
Lead Teller (Former Employee) –  Winona, MNOctober 21, 2015
I enjoyed being the Lead Teller there. Which meant I was able to help the tellers perform their job to their full potential. Help them in any way I could. I also enjoyed having the vault duties and ordering and selling of the currency and coin orders. I stayed very busy. There was always something to be doing.
Pros
I enjoyed helping the tellers and also the customers.
Cons
It was becoming a very sales focused enviornment.
Excellent Place to Work
Loan Servicing Representative (Current Employee) –  Winona, MNAugust 21, 2015
I have worked here for almost 10 years and have been thankful for the opportunities I have been given. Merchants if very family and community oriented and really make everyone feel appreciated.
Pros
Great benefits, family oriented, gives back to community
Cons
Hard to advance due to longevity of employment
Great work place
Statement Processor & Deposit Services member (Former Employee) –  South Burlington, VTApril 22, 2015
I had a great time,

the employees were fantastic and always in great spirits

the atmosphere was always business witch I liked.
Poor culture in back office, bad attitudes in branches
Service Center employee (Former Employee) –  S Burlington, VTMarch 1, 2015
I'm very disappointed to see how this place treats people. Long time employees are paid well below market, are made to feel like they could lose their job at any time, particularly if they make a tiny, everyones human, mistake or if they don't have a perfect relationship with Sr. Management. There it's all about playing the corporate game. No work life balance or concern for it or the welfare of each employee. All the management changes and shake up have made for a LOT of unhappy people! They are too worried about meeting certain profitability metrics than to be a good company. No room for advancement. Smoke and mirrors is the norm.
Pros
co-workers nice
Cons
pay for long time employees, work-life balance, Sr. mgt, culture
Merchants bank was a great place to work.
Personal Banker (Former Employee) –  Burlington, VTNovember 12, 2014
I learned a lot of valuable information and skills while working at Merchants Bank.
No longer in business
Assistant Supervisor of Accounting Department (Former Employee) –  Allentown, PAAugust 14, 2013
Nice place to work, bank bought out by another institution
Promoted to Assistant Manager afte a short time
Merchants Bank is a good institution to work at.
Assistant Branch Manager (Former Employee) –  Cullman Office hwy 157April 4, 2013
A good institution to work at. Small town bank, therefore hard to move up within.
Great Company
Human Resource Officer & IRA Officer (Current Employee) –  Jakcson ALFebruary 19, 2013
A very busy place where one can learn anything and everything they want to regarding banking. Great opportunities are here, but one must be willing to push themselves to the very edge to absorb all the learning tools.
Relaxed yet professional atmosphere.
Item Processor (Former Employee) –  South Burlington, VTAugust 29, 2012
Verified the day's transactions and posted to the banks accounts.
Pros
part time hours, with really good (performance based) pay.
Cons
part time hours.
Community Bank
Financial Analyst (Current Employee) –  Bangor, PAMarch 12, 2012
Small bank, great opportunity for gaining experience. Management is very friendly and supportive. Good tuition reimbursement program. Willing to work around schedules when necesseary. However, limited opportunities for growth. Small pay ranges.
Pros
good work environment
Cons
limited opportunities for growth
Merchants Bank review
Branch Manager (Former Employee) –  bangorMarch 11, 2012
Merchants Bank allows drunks to come to work smelling like old booze. This person works in Loans and is very knowledgable, but cant go through the day without shaking, she has been written up for causing problems in the branches and also for yelling at employees, but upper management sweeps those issues under the rug. Which makes a bad work enviroment for the others.
Cons
upper management, ceo needs to be more aware of whats going on