If you live in the Austin, TX area and have 1-2 years of insurance experience, this position is the perfect opportunity to advance your career! Mercury Insurance’s Underwriter Trainee program provides you with the training and skills necessary to advance to an Underwriter role within 6-9 months. If you enjoy analyzing data, evaluating risks, and making business decisions, this is the role for you!
During your formal training period, you will partner with seasoned Company underwriters to learn Mercury’s philosophy and best practices for underwriting automobile and homeowner insurance. You will hone and develop your analytical skills when reviewing applications for insurance, and understand how to evaluate and identify the potential risks associated with insuring our customers. These skills will allow you to determine whether or not the Company should insure a risk, as well as the appropriate premium to be charged.
You will also learn how to cultivate and develop relationships with Mercury’s independent agents, who are instrumental in growing our book of business. In partnership with the Company’s marketing representatives, you will work with our agents to help them identify and understand the types of risks the Company desires and those it wishes to avoid.
Completion of the Underwriter Trainee program prepares you for transition to a full-fledged Underwriter role, and a successful career at Mercury Insurance!
- Worker characteristics are normally acquired through completion of a Bachelor’s degree (BA, BS).
- Analytical skills – Identifies and evaluates risks and exposures to the Company. Gathers the necessary facts and relies on logical reasoning in assessing the level of risk. Determines and articulates the best solution for the customer and the Company
- Interpersonal skills – Communicates professionally and diplomatically with Company employees and business partners. Builds relationships to create Mercury Moments for customers, agents, and Mercury personnel. Effective written and oral communication skills are essential in this role
- Collaborative skills – Shares ideas, knowledge, and solutions to ensure the highest quality of service for all. Partners with teammates and other departments to provide a helping hand when needed.
- Time management – Balances multiple priorities with ease and provides timely follow up to internal and external customers
- Computer skills – Strong proficiency with Word and Excel
- Flexibility- Ability to work a schedule between the hours of 9am-7pm, M-F
Location: Austin, TX
Compensation: starting at $35,000/yr.