Mercury Insurance Group Employee Reviews in United States

Great benefits, company cares about its employees.
Appraisal Specialist (Former Employee) –  Brea, CAJune 19, 2015
8-5 work schedule with many opportunities for overtime. You learn a lot about the car insurance industry. Management is readily available. Great atmosphere and co-workers. The appraisal specialist position is demanding and stressful. Must be well organized and able to multi-task.
Pros
Benefits, atmosphere
Cons
stressful, very demanding
Not good
Claims Examiner (Current Employee) –  Rancho Cucamonga, CAMarch 4, 2016
not good. The company only cares about numbers, not it's employees.

The company expects you to hit your "goals" every year but doesnt tell you what your "goals" are until February or March. However you are still expected to him them for Jan, Feb, March even though you didnt know what they were/are.
SIU Special Investigator II (Former Employee) –  West Palm Beach, FLMay 3, 2016
Company financial hardship & my position was eliminated. Job atmosphere was enjoyable & they have additional employee benefits for those working inside the building.
Great place to work. Tons of opportunity for growth
I.T. Service Center Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Brea, CAMay 5, 2015
Greatly enjoyed working with all cowokers and management. Management was extremely understanding of work and personal life balance. Great benefit, bonuses and annual raises.
Many changes ahead
Employee (Former Employee) –  New JerseyMay 2, 2016
The company is in a transition at this time in order to improve the entire company and be more competitive nationwide. The company has many dedicated people.
The productivitiy could have been much better and faster with a new computer system.
Claims Representative (Former Employee) –  Anaheim, CAOctober 10, 2015
The people in the office were fun to work with. Management had favorites. The job could have been better with a new computer system.
Was very pleased to learn and understand the auto insurance world.
Subrogation Specialist I (Current Employee) –  Rancho Cucamonga, CADecember 19, 2012
A typical day at work involves working five new files per day and working on your current files and answering any messages from any third party insurance company, customer or lawyer. I learned more about liability, deductible and insurance rates which we all have to know about and very good for my personal life. Management is excellent and they help you with any questions you have. The hardest part of the jobs is timing, there is a million things to be done but also the more work the better job security. The most enjoyable part of the job is working with great co-workers of all ages gender and nationality. Its a great place to work.
Pros
excellent benefits with discounts
Cons
short lunch
Stable environment with committed workforce
Claims Adjuster (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAAugust 18, 2015
Typically handled ~30 incoming phone calls per day.
Learned discipline.
Management varied.
Co-workers were educated and kind.
Hardest part of the job was getting ready to approach complicated claims.
Most enjoyable part of the job was resolving real issues in a fair manner.
Pros
Stability
Cons
Work got stale
out of date
Claims Adjuster (Former Employee) –  Bridgewater, NJDecember 26, 2015
needs to bring the company into the 21st century. needs more mgr employee feedback and communication on what your job description requires and what they need from their employees
Pros
flexable schedule
Cons
out of date program
Good company.
Software Developer (Former Employee) –  Brea, caFebruary 25, 2013
Good company. Mercury is quite the mix of nationalities, as people who have immigrated from all over the world work there, so, the net effect is that of a washing out of the corporate culture. Management can be trying when dealing in such a scenario as some could not speak English well which effects relationships with co-workers. The flip side is you experience work ethics from around the world and meet many interesting people, not to give a negative tone as most were very nice people.
Pros
fair with time off, salary compensation.
Cons
not recognizing skill sets of employees, no culture, favoritism for select employees.

Want to know more about Mercury Insurance Group?

Ask a question
Would Never Recommend
Claims Adjuster (Former Employee) –  Brea, CADecember 11, 2015
I would not recommend this job to anyone. I am a strong believer in hard work and doing everything it takes to get the job done and then some, but this would not even come close to any of their expectations. Sorry.
They try to make it fun with a game system, ping pong, & shuffle board.
Claims Specialist II (Current Employee) –  Camarillo, CAJuly 30, 2015
The work load and stress level are high. I like that you are not shadowed by management and are free to take your breaks as you like.
Pros
Free candy and breakfast & lunch from tim e to time.
Cons
High stress level throughout the whole office.
A great company
Subrogation Specialist I (Former Employee) –  Brea, CAJuly 22, 2013
Mercury Insurance provided a number of opportunities for advancement and education. When originally hired, I knew virtually nothing about auto insurance. I learned quite a bit about the industry and enjoyed my work at-large.

The only negative I can think of is about the level of communication between departments. Customers were often told one thing by claims that contradicted procedure of another department.
Pros
advancement opportunities, competitive salary and benefits
Cons
heavy workload, communication issues
This was a well paid easy to do job.
Customer Service Representative I (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TexasNovember 26, 2014
There was not a lot of motivation coming from management when it came to progressing and promotion opportunities. Overall it was a decent place to work. The building was not cleaned well enough, employees had major issues with allergies and sickness due to vents not being cleaned properly, bathrooms not cleaned properly, rarely ever vacuumed. The only thing any of us saw regularly was the trash being dumped from our cubicles every night.
Pros
free lunches
Cons
short breaks
Greatest company at which to work. Great culture
Senior Claims Specialist (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAMay 27, 2015
I worked there for 8 yeas and have found this company as one that cares for their employees. There have been layoffs but always compensated over and above with severance packages. I am sad I was one of the laid off but I am grateful for my time there! Totally a top notch company!
Pros
Great pay and benefits. family atmosphere ( in the Richmond, VA office)
Cons
layoffs
Bigger company with lots of growth opportunity
Casualty Claims Adjuster (Former Employee) –  Anaheim, CAOctober 7, 2015
Supportive staff and quality was valued far greater than quantity. Company provided all the necessary tools to grow and encouraged continued education and learning, further development of adjusting skills.
Good Company, awful morale
Underwriter (Current Employee) –  New JerseyJune 28, 2012
A typical day at work consists of processing applications, endorsements, as wells as training/ handling agents. Having come from the agency side of the insurance field, I have learned the inner workings of the company side. Management does not appreciate feedback, does not work on improving moral, and does give their employees enough credit. Employees are constantly being micro managed. Employees do not feel appreciated and most of the time are not applauded for their efforts. The hardest part of the job is the morale in the office. I adore my agents and enjoy the underwriting activities. I have worked very hard to encourage agents to write with us, that previously had not before. Something I am very proud of.
Pros
benefits, salary, relationships that have developed with agents
Cons
management
Little Opportunity for Advancement
Subrogation (Former Employee) –  Latham, NYMay 20, 2013
A typical day at work consisted of sitting in a cubicle and sharing common office equipment. There was no training when I started. I had a great supervisor and liked all of my co-workers. The hardest part of the job was not having the proper systems and tools needed to perform my job to the best of my ability. The most enjoyable part of the job was being allowed to work in a relaxed work setting. The communication between the Corporate Office and the Branch Offices was extremely poor and delayed. If you were not working out of the California office, you were an afterthought.
Pros
very relaxed work enviornment, casual dress.
Cons
poor commication between management, very limited opportunity for advancement, unhealthy work enviornment.
Mercury insurance
CLAIMS ADJUSTER (Current Employee) –  Folsom, CAJuly 23, 2015
Mercury Insurance is a GREAT company " family' to work for.

Wonderful employee's and Managemant

Great work life balance
Pros
Work life balance
Cons
Inconsistencies
Don't be fooled
Claims (Former Employee) –  RanchoDecember 2, 2013
The company is not a fair or secure position. The company allows the "you scratch my back" motto in the companies benefit. The company allows managers to self appoint micro management and let's them do what they want, even if it goes against the company rules. Then if bring it up, they will find ways to release you to avoid a whistle blowing law suit. They create a hostile and stressful environment and all they say is "it's job security".
The sad thing is that the CEO/Hr dept and the owner is aware of how horrible the employees are treated and don't do anything about it.
They pay less then other companies at least $10k a year less and are given work of a work load and just says oh well.....
Don't apply or work there !!!!!!
Cons
self created stressful job