Mercury Insurance Group

Mercury Insurance Group Employee Reviews in United States

Employee satisfaction
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  United StatesMarch 25, 2016
Employee satisfaction is below average. Lack of teamwork and management support. Over the years many changes which have hurt growth.
Engaged management. Significant assistance with leads
Claims Branch Manager (Former Employee) –  Clearwater, FLJune 20, 2016
Rapid growth of subprime and 125 mortgages left the bank overextended and operations were shut down. Management and coworkers were helpful in securing new loan prospects.
Do you hate yourself and others around you? Join Up!
Claims Specialist (Former Employee) –  Rancho Cucamonga, CAMarch 29, 2016
A typical day as an auto adjuster is showing up early to get to your desk to clock in on time. massive load of new claims throughout the day while also dealing with all the pending claims you have. Organization is outrageous as they transition from paper files to e-files and programs to run both. You will never have a free moment where you are not apologizing to someone or working erratically to try to catch up with your caseload.

When you call the insured parties for the most part they will be angry liars when and if you can find the responsible party as they may not answer any correspondence or have a insurance company that does not actually exist. Your insured may become rather irate at the slow pace of the claim for this discouraging fact.

Management and supervisors are not about helping you in the job and will berate you if you cannot make all your claims current by the end of the month. Easier said than done, especially if they also berate you for any overtime. Morale is terrible and the stress is putting people in an early grave, I guarantee it. The pay is sub-par for this but is the best thing about the job. The only one you help in this position is the company and they are never satisfied.

So to recap: The people you call will make you feel less than human, and management will too. You will pray to a higher power for the weekend to give a fleeting 48 hours of respite. Co-workers are like war buddies when you can speak with them on breaks.

I have worked for other superior insurance companies, and Mercury is no way to run a business. I do not regret in the
  more... slightest resigning from this position.  less
Pros
State mandated Breaks, Co-workers
Cons
Management, Workload, Insureds, Terrible Morale, Company Culture
Great place to work. Tons of opportunity for growth
I.T. Service Center Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Brea, CAMay 5, 2015
Greatly enjoyed working with all cowokers and management. Management was extremely understanding of work and personal life balance. Great benefit, bonuses and annual raises.
Awesome
Senior Marketing Representative (Former Employee) –  Home in Charlotte TxMarch 16, 2016
A typical day would involve seeing several insurance agents and doing some training and informing them of what Mercury had to offer them. On some days I would attended a luncheon for agents or a seminar or even put on a CE class.
Pros
Setting my own schedule for the day
SIU Special Investigator II (Former Employee) –  West Palm Beach, FLMay 3, 2016
Company financial hardship & my position was eliminated. Job atmosphere was enjoyable & they have additional employee benefits for those working inside the building.
Was very pleased to learn and understand the auto insurance world.
Subrogation Specialist I (Current Employee) –  Rancho Cucamonga, CADecember 19, 2012
A typical day at work involves working five new files per day and working on your current files and answering any messages from any third party insurance company, customer or lawyer. I learned more about liability, deductible and insurance rates which we all have to know about and very good for my personal life. Management is excellent and they help you with any questions you have. The hardest part of the jobs is timing, there is a million things to be done but also the more work the better job security. The most enjoyable part of the job is working with great co-workers of all ages gender and nationality. Its a great place to work.
Pros
excellent benefits with discounts
Cons
short lunch
Not good
Claims Examiner (Current Employee) –  Rancho Cucamonga, CAMarch 4, 2016
not good. The company only cares about numbers, not it's employees.

The company expects you to hit your "goals" every year but doesnt tell you what your "goals" are until February or March. However you are still expected to him them for Jan, Feb, March even though you didnt know what they were/are.
Many changes ahead
Employee (Former Employee) –  New JerseyMay 2, 2016
The company is in a transition at this time in order to improve the entire company and be more competitive nationwide. The company has many dedicated people.
Work Place
Data Modeler/ Data Analyst (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CANovember 17, 2015
Work with friendly nature, games, cultures activities.....
Work on time, scrum meetings, Testing, etc.,
work with team members and management every day activates, meetings, friendly co workers most of the time in job design part and scripting process.
Pros
Games, free lunches
Cons
healthcare
Good Company, awful morale
Underwriter (Current Employee) –  New JerseyJune 28, 2012
A typical day at work consists of processing applications, endorsements, as wells as training/ handling agents. Having come from the agency side of the insurance field, I have learned the inner workings of the company side. Management does not appreciate feedback, does not work on improving moral, and does give their employees enough credit. Employees are constantly being micro managed. Employees do not feel appreciated and most of the time are not applauded for their efforts. The hardest part of the job is the morale in the office. I adore my agents and enjoy the underwriting activities. I have worked very hard to encourage agents to write with us, that previously had not before. Something I am very proud of.
Pros
benefits, salary, relationships that have developed with agents
Cons
management
Good company.
Software Developer (Former Employee) –  Brea, caFebruary 25, 2013
Good company. Mercury is quite the mix of nationalities, as people who have immigrated from all over the world work there, so, the net effect is that of a washing out of the corporate culture. Management can be trying when dealing in such a scenario as some could not speak English well which effects relationships with co-workers. The flip side is you experience work ethics from around the world and meet many interesting people, not to give a negative tone as most were very nice people.
Pros
fair with time off, salary compensation.
Cons
not recognizing skill sets of employees, no culture, favoritism for select employees.
great place to work I took for granted
Claims Adjuster (Former Employee) –  Rancho Cordova, CAFebruary 18, 2013
process bills, handle new claim (interviews/set appointments,reserves)review old/unfinished files, pay bills, answer calls as they come in,I learned the professional language of auto insurance, how to evaluate body damage and responsibility for an accident without being there, I learned that what i bring to an employer is not just my education but who I am,Management went above and beyond to train, help and accomadate to my needs and learnining skills,proper note taking was difficult to evaluate how much to do, most enjoyable part was helping others and feeling appreciated as an employee
Pros
benefits, work hours, compensation
A great company
Subrogation Specialist I (Former Employee) –  Brea, CAJuly 22, 2013
Mercury Insurance provided a number of opportunities for advancement and education. When originally hired, I knew virtually nothing about auto insurance. I learned quite a bit about the industry and enjoyed my work at-large.

The only negative I can think of is about the level of communication between departments. Customers were often told one thing by claims that contradicted procedure of another department.
Pros
advancement opportunities, competitive salary and benefits
Cons
heavy workload, communication issues
Great Place To Work
Claims Specialist II (Current Employee) –  Tempe, AZFebruary 8, 2013
A typical day at work includes about 4 to 10 new claims, answering phones, returning calls, checking emails and responding, investigation, making liability decision, collecting evidence, recorded interviews, talking with attorneys, resolving bodily injury claims. Working a Mercury helped me develop my communications skills to better resolve injury cases at a fair values. The people that I work with are a pleasure to work with. The people have strong family values and great work ethics. The hardest part of the job is keeping up with the heavy workload of daily and active claims. The most enjoyable part of my job is helping people and resolving the claims as soon as possible so they can be in a better place soon.
Pros
benefits and work schedule
Work there at your own risk, you won't get the loyalty return you may think
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAFebruary 10, 2013
After over 20 yrs of loyalty, this company has had laid-off its employees, twice! Both times without any warning, and appears to still be closing out other offices and/or moving them to other locations. Could this possibly be affecting even more employees jobs? There appears to be some serious management incompetency with this company. One day you're going to work and next day you are unemployed, it's that simple.
Pros
benefits, flex time
Cons
no employee loyalty, upper management can't be trusted, hr useless, lots of favoritism, and very low morale
out of date
Claims Adjuster (Former Employee) –  Bridgewater, NJDecember 26, 2015
needs to bring the company into the 21st century. needs more mgr employee feedback and communication on what your job description requires and what they need from their employees
Pros
flexable schedule
Cons
out of date program
Productive and clean workplace with large kitchen and ample parking
Subrogation Payment Specialist (Current Employee) –  Latham, NYJanuary 31, 2013
A typical day at work involves posting payments received from other parties, negotiating payment agreements with claimants when they are having trouble getting payments in on time, copying files and referring them to various collections agency when claimants/insureds have ceased payment and are unresponsive, and helping co-workers out with their letters.
Pros
ample parking, quiet environment with helpful co-workers
Cons
healthcare benefits are lacking
fair company
Senior Claims Adjuster (Current Employee) –  Folsom, CAMay 9, 2012
quality company that cared very much for their customers, not as much for their employees. 2 major layoffs in the last 3 years. Job security was always an issue because you never knew when the next round of layoffs may take place. Co-workers morale is low, and due to the layoffs, the company has very little, if any, room for movement. Customer service was priority #1, as it should be.
Pros
compensation
Cons
no room for advancement
Would Never Recommend
Claims Adjuster (Former Employee) –  Brea, CADecember 11, 2015
I would not recommend this job to anyone. I am a strong believer in hard work and doing everything it takes to get the job done and then some, but this would not even come close to any of their expectations. Sorry.