Mercury Payment Systems

Mercury Payment Systems Employee Reviews

Excellent Company
Technical Support (Former Employee) –  Durango, COSeptember 24, 2015
I thoroughly enjoyed my time at Mercury Payment Systems. The work was not excessively demanding, but presented a unique challenge on a day-to-day basis that left me feeling satisfied with my work. Tons of opportunities for advancement within the company. Management was friendly, approachable, and handled any issues that needed to be addressed professionally. Co-workers were fantastic and it felt like a family at work.

They also provided an excellent life/work balance and it was clear employee morale was a priority. Decent breaks and manageable hours, company lunches, company picnics and events/parties where food and drink would be provided, and plenty of recognition for hard work.

On the downside, the Inbound Customer Support seemed to have a higher workload and it was a more stressful environment, but they were still some of the friendliest people I've ever worked with.
Pros
Good management, Company Events (Parties, picnics, free lunches, etc), Unique and Challenging Work, Solid Benefits, Paid Time Off
Cons
Cranky Customers, Compensation is below national average
good
Network Engineer (Current Employee) –  Durango, COJuly 18, 2015
Located in the beautiful Durango CO. Near La Plata Mountains, Telluride and Silverton. Main building right by the Animas River.
good company
Sales Operations Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Denver, COApril 15, 2015
I liked working for the company. The people in my department were enjoyable to work with. I go back to read about the Mercury from time to time. I wonder how things might be different if they didn't merge with another credit card processor.
A true maverick in the payment processing industry
Manager of Channel Development (Current Employee) –  Denver, COJanuary 7, 2015
Very collaborative and open office culture with a strong entrepreneurial feel.
Pros
Healthy culture and strong support of philanthropy
Stay Far Away
Sales (Former Employee) –  Denver, COSeptember 15, 2014
Used to be a great company when the Katz brothers were involved. They brought in a bunch of non-mercury folk to help with a potential IPO (eventually was bought privately) who ripped every bit of culture and positive energy out of this company.

Employees are leaving by the handful and management doesn't seem to care. But why should they, they cashed in their stock options and thats all that matters.

Stay away, far away.
Pros
Solvent, your paycheck won't bounce
Cons
Everything else
High stress place of employment
Manager (Current Employee) –  ColoradoJuly 9, 2014
Lots of uncertainty today in the workplace. Work with amazing people but most are teetering on burnout.
Pros
Work With Great People
Cons
Once you get to management, most positions are hired externally
Great place
Customer service, Enter data, assist merchant (Current Employee) –  Durango, COMay 13, 2014
Mercury is great and busy place to work, it is always evolving and is always interesting. The people are a lot of fun as well.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
N/A
Employee Oriented
Regional Sales Coordinator / Account Manager (Former Employee) –  Durango, COApril 17, 2014
Mercury was a very employee oriented company. They served everyone lunch or breakfast once a month and always gave Christmas bonuses.

I enjoyed being able to work from home a few days a week.

Really enjoyed the people I worked with, we were more like family.

Typical work day was always busy with a variety of duties, assisting merchants, dealers and working closely with numerous departments to ensure merchants and dealers were set up, enrolled and processing.
Worked with dealers to grow their business and assist with obtaining more business, answering commission questions and assisting their merchants with any processing or business issues.
Pros
Free lunches and working from home
Cons
Not always promote from within
A very fun place to work.
Customer Service Agent (Former Employee) –  Durango, COMarch 23, 2014
This job was really enjoyable because everyday was different and I was always learning something new. They provide an individual warm welcome to every new employee. My favorite part of the day was providing a portal walk through so the merchant could get logged into there account on our website.

Management was terrific and was always there to lend a hand or there when you needed them. They all worked towards helping you with your goals or advancing to the next level. All the co workers were enthusiastic and always willing to give a hand. There were lots of perks and awards for every occasions.

The hardest part of the job was learning the different point of sale systems and processing terminals and how to troubleshoot them.
Pros
Monthly lunches, Christmas party and allotted work time to volunteer for non profit organizations
Cons
No break room for smokers.
Observing and learning from wonderful team members to further my skills.
Provided Quality Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Durango, COJanuary 1, 2014
Typical day = 9-5
What I learned depends on the job. Although they are transferable to many types of jobs requiring soft skill ability.
Management= none
Co-Workers = Get along fine in a team envirroment as well as working with little supervision. I do extremely well whatever the task .
Hardest Part of Job(s) - example- Hospital setting very sad when patients pass.
Enjoyable part of job= getting a job well done in the time frame expected.
Pros
Free lunches and celebrations.
Cons
Short breaks.
Graduating from a start-up to a major processing player in the industry
Director, Reseller Partnerships & Sales (Former Employee) –  Durango, COJuly 18, 2013
*Fast growth company
*Very independent driven management culture
*Great future possibilities
Pros
Great culture
Cons
Productive and supportive work place
Loyalty Sales Executive (Former Employee) –  Durango, COJuly 3, 2013
I enjoyed 6 years at Mercury and would go back if I were not leaving Durango.
Fast paced growth company.
Merchant Account Specialist Support (Former Employee) –  Durango, COJune 13, 2013
Mercury is a fast paced fast growing credit card company, as such it comes with its fair share of growing pains. In my 7 1/2 year tenure I was able to see Mercury move up in the ranks of credit card processors to become one of the top processors in the nation. Mercury has a lot to offer the right people in a small community.
Pros
Health benefits, great co-workers
Cons
Poor management, poor planning, diminishing customer service.
A sinking ship
sales executive (Former Employee) –  durango/denverMay 18, 2013
What they do to their merchant base is awful. So many rates and fee increases, 4 and 5x a month to just one merchant account. Data security fees and regulatory fees and you name it fees are everywhere on merchant's credit card statements. I once had another processor say that when they go up against Mercury it is like Christmas day with all the increases they show the merchant. What once was a respectable company is now just greedy.
Pros
located in Durango
Cons
stress, overworked, angry customers, angry partners, leadership, no heart
Durango is filling up with "former employees"
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Durango, COApril 25, 2013
Company is fast-growing, has a successful business model that is slowly being grafted by competition.
They prefer to hire new or less experienced people to keep pay scale low, while promoting "Durango Discount"- IE- quality of life in small CO town.
Durango cost of living is closer to Denver, CO (337 mi away) than Farmington, NM (50 mi away).
Promoted-from-within managers can "make or break" you, lack true innovation or experience in leadership.
Company is extremely sales-driven, makes an enormous profit which is nether reported, because they are privately held, nor shared with employees, who are pushed to do more and more the longer they are there.
Good corporate learning experience for someone who is just starting out.
Pros
pizza once a month
Cons
treat employees like kleen-ex
Typical Finnacial Services Industry company
Network Administrator III (Former Employee) –  Durango, COApril 5, 2013
It was a great experience to work for a company in the Financial services sector. Mostly a sales driving organization, and the cheaper the ship the better. Fast growth has resulted in inexperienced management and bad employee retention. Feel valued by peers, but not by management.
Pros
free lunches and good team building
Cons
the cheaper the ship the better
Good working environment
Lead Merchant Accounting Specialist (Current Employee) –  Denver, COMarch 26, 2013
The company is growing very fast. I spend my days creating reports to monitor department fee losses for management as well as tracking work progress of the department/individuals on the team I lead and coach. I also create and work processes related to the department.
Pros
i have very productive work days. i enjoy working with my colleges.
Cons
director i report to inc. other managers have left the company.
Having struggles as a growing company
Would rather not disclose (Current Employee) –  Durango, COMarch 3, 2013
I've worked for Mercury for a few years and they are having some struggles as a growing company. Pay is good to start, but raises are few and far between ( if you even think that 3% is worth your time... ) and completely up to management/executives that don't "know" what you do/take on... on a regular basis. Promotions are also slim... They would rather hire outside the company than give anyone a chance to excel. Reviews are only done after the first of the year.. Never when your personal year happens. Also no 60 day or 90 day reviews to start. The culture used to be the main reason to join this company, but it is dwindling fast!
Pros
good benefits, but this is changing next year
Cons
raises, appreciation, constant changes, large turnover
Exceptional company to work for with great people.
Inbound Customer Service Agent (Former Employee) –  Durango, COJuly 31, 2012
I enjoyed working with all my coworkers including mgr, admin, and executives.

Typical day was answering phones and assisting merchants with processing credit card transactions. Creating tickets on their own programs. Used many different ones. Had one for answering calls-Cisco, one for looking up info on merchant accounts and creating tickets for each call-CRM, one for verify settlements of transactions to their bank accounts-Global payments, and outlook for emailing.
Learned the above programs and more about credit card processing in general.
Hardest part of the job at times was staying busy when calls were not coming in, so I would go into the open queue to find tickets or email request to assist merchants that way.
Most enjoyable was interacting with merchants that were having a good day, and being able to assist a caller completely on that call.
Knowing that I helped them was rewarding for me.
Pros
free lunches each month, great coworkers, mgrs, etc.
Cons
the job would not be as challenging once i had learned and understood all my training, i was ready to move up, but there werent any other departments with this company that interested me enough, the pay was good, but raises wouldnt happen when i think they should
Young company on new growth path
Sales Executive (Former Employee) –  ColoradoApril 30, 2012
The management which brought this company to where it is now has done an excellent job and should be commended. Now they need to change and redevelop themselves or get out of the way.
Hopefully the VC will make changes at the head and they will make the necessary changes to propel them to the next stage.
Pros
technology is great
Cons
management lacks training, coaching and communication skills.

2.8