Mercy Ambulance Employee Reviews in United States

Relaxed environment
Critical Care Paramedic (Current Employee) –  West Des Moines IAMay 22, 2014
Relaxed environment with decent benefits. Good management in place.
Apply with caution
Paramedic (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CADecember 27, 2013
Working for this company was the worst employment experience I have ever experienced.This is a small company ran by a married couple who has already failed with 2 other former ambulance companies. Starting from the interview, the company will lie about providing you with medical benefits and state that they are "on their way." As a paramedic, you will primarily be running dialysis and BLS transports. The company is understaffed with units, so the call volume is almost always high. Because of this, they give their customers false ETA's and then put the blame and stress on their field crews to make unrealistic pick up times. The ambulances are purchased out of state and "modified" personally by the owner who has little mechanic experience. Because of this, the rigs are often unsafe, though you will be forced to run calls in them anyway. The owners micro manage the inventory themselves and do not let anybody else handle supplies. ALS units often do not have LA County mandated supplies (i.e. medications, functioning ekg/o2 sat monitors, blankets.) The company requires you to purchase your own uniforms and map books with no reimbursement. There is no 911. The ALS calls are ran through insurance contracts and seldom require any ALS skills or treatment. Additionally, the dispatchers are poorly trained. The radio system barely works so you are pressured to use your personal cell phone (which they will call you on several times per call being ran. Paychecks are commonly wrong and have bounced on a few employees.Oh yeah, they have even used their willing paramedics to falsely act as CCT  more... nurses to run CCT calls if they don't have a nurse available. They will also try to run calls outside of LA County where their ambulances or personnel are not accredited. The main objective of this company is all profit with no care of customer or employee relations. I would highly suggest looking further...  less
Cons
see summary
Sucked
Emt (Former Employee) –  7700 Imperial Hwy Downey, CA 90242‎July 24, 2014
Looking at the reviews they are not talking about Mercy ambulance in Downey. This company has no relation to Mercy Air or any other mercy ambulance in the United States. I have worked for a few private ambulance companies in the LA county area. Granted it is expected to get treated poorly. This one of the worst ambulance companies I have worked for. Poor Pay/ I was making more as an EMTB. I was told I would have a paramedic job within a month I was an emt for months then ran a few als ift calls that were bls but most ifts are. No flexibility with scheduling. Poor equipment. Poor managment. Dialysis all day with no pay. Dialysis companies tend to pay more in La county. As an paramedic functioning as an emt pressured to run als calls. Worst company I have ever worked for!!!!
Cons
everything.
Don't work here!
Marketing (Former Employee) –  Downey, CaOctober 24, 2014
I was hired to work the Downey, Ca branch as their marketing rep. I had to purchase my own uniforms and use my own vehicle. I was given a small gas allowance but I had to fill up at the same station the units filled up at. My paychecks were always late. I was given no marketing supplies, cell phone, or business cards. I was basically cold calling, since they didn't have any contracts. The one contact they did have the facility's didn't want to use them due to their ETA's, and lack of billing options (payment arrangements). I would avoid this company if you are looking to get into the field of EMS.
Cons
everything
Good experience and a foot in the door to advance into another field
Emergency Medical Technician (Former Employee) –  Mariposa, CAJanuary 7, 2014
Some days you were lucky to get sleep in the 72 hours you worked and other days bored out of your mind. But overall enjoyed my co-workers and enjoyed my job and the different medical experiences. This job defiantly was a great life experience and life lessons that stick with you. Each co-worker (partner) you learned something new.
Pros
great life experiences
Cons
not good if you have little ones at home.
Fun working environment
On-Call Driver for Emergencies and Discharge (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PASeptember 29, 2014
Performed all BLS protocols. Experienced how to act and proceed about in an emergency situation.
Cons
hardly any breaks.
Busy 911 system
Paramedic (Former Employee) –  Mariposa, CANovember 5, 2013
I love working as a paramedic. Helping people and saving lives. Thats what I do best!
Pros
helping people
Cons
no sleep
Great job.
Paramedic (Former Employee) –  Grand RapidsFebruary 25, 2013
Loved the job and all the people I worked with. It was a wonderful experience.
Pros
exciting job
Cons
bad hours and very physically demanding.
Mercy Ambulance
Caregiver (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAJune 14, 2014
I did a ride alone to get a general idea of how it would be to work in the NREMT field.