Mercy Health System Employee Reviews

Great field staff with great knowledge however administration limits employee growth.
Occupational Therapist (Current Employee) –  Janesville, WIOctober 3, 2013
Typical workday is evaluation and treatment of 4-6 patients while traveling between 5 counties in southern WI. Scheduling is performed by the therapist on an individual basis with direct supervision of lead therapist and program manager to ensure productivity. The company is focused on client care and does not push therapists to make a certain quota for visits. I have learned a lot of new information dealing with home care medicare guidelines as well as availability for community assist.
This job has also allowed me to have a first hand experience of what patients/consumers deal with when they arrive home after recent trauma and disability.
Management at this site has a hard time maintaining a cohesive work place due to the fact that their are equal amounts of supervisors to employees in most of the departments. Communication has been a serious concern with upper management and the program director. With this being said, some of the supervisors make decisions with partial information causing occasional errors in process. This leads to increased stress and time taken to fix old mistakes.
At Mercy, the co-workers have been a strong team of therapists who are truly client centered. They all work very well together despite some of the management concerns that have caused difficulty withing the departments.
Currently the hardest part of this job is managing patient care time with managing extra required time taken to fix concerns brought about by disorganization for items such as documentation and medicare processes.
The most enjoyable part of this job has been getting to work with
  more... my co-workers who are all very knowledgeable therapists and medical professionals. With our initiative in the field we have been able to really help the consumers we work with. This allows for the true enjoyment of the job to shine through, which is helping people recover from illness and injury.  less
Pros
abcd reward program, excellent clinical staff, client centered
Cons
organization of management, travel demands for vehicle
Great Co-workers
Staff Registered Respiratory Therapist (Current Employee) –  Southern WisconsinOctober 30, 2014
The patient care workers at Mercy Health system at their Harvard and Lake Geneva facilities are among the most wonderful, caring, hard working, dedicated people I have had the privilege of knowing. The goal is truly to deliver exceptional patient care and be the best advocate to the patients that we, as care givers, can possibly be. Like any health system today it has become a business and is about making money. This is done by looking closely at staff vs patient ratio, having some departments that are not staff 24 hours a day and have to leave early based on census, mine included. This is the hardest part of my job. Having to leave when I now that I can be utilized in other capacities, especially when some departments are overwhelmed. Not to mention the loss in hours and therefore pay for not being able to stay and work my FTE. The most enjoyable part of my job is watching every coworker do their best to meet every need each patient has and do it with a smile on their face. It warms my heart to know I work with such amazing people. I've learned so much from them about my job and myself. I also enjoy our daily interdepartmental meeting to discuss all patients. It's gives a great overview of what is happening with our patients and provides input on each patient from several departments (physician, nursing, respiratory, PT, pharmacy, Social Workers, etc). It's a great time to work thru and discuss approaches with difficult cases.
Many opportunities to explore in nursing due to service diversity and service area.
R.N. Quality Data Analyst, Medical Mangement Dept. (Current Employee) –  Janesville, WIMarch 15, 2014
The health system management is goal and outcome driven...seriously. There is as much to learn here as you chose to learn. There are many opportunities.

My co-workers are dependable and flexible and respectable. People tend to work here a long time.

The hardest part of the job can be the 2nd week of the month...a lot of deadlines come up at the same time. This is to be expected.

Some of the most enjoyable parts of the job are learning new things...the changing scene in healthcare (government) is super interesting whether you care to like it or not. I enjoy seeing how things unfold and end results. It's exciting. Also with this job I am allowed to work from home now for a limited time each week.
Pros
nice cafeteria and coffee shop. friendly people. the ceo/president.
Cons
space is at a premium.
Over all I like my job
Unit Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Lake Geneva, WIAugust 30, 2014
A typical day consists of a variety of tasks and relationships with peers on all levels. This includes answering phones, correlating communications between the physicians in the unit I work and physicians from a number of different facilities. Arranging admission to the hospital, transfers to other facilities, and registration of inbound ambulances. Utilization of resources within my facility such as use of managers, use of other departments to coordinate patient care; in addition to inter facility resources, outside resources include arranging transfer through ambulance services for patients and communicating with Walworth County Health and Human Services for patient follow up. I work closely with all of my peers and keep a teamwork attitude to keep the flow of the unit in harmony. I believe that his is most likely the most difficult part of my job; keeping a positive flow within the unit and keeping my peers with a positive attitude. The most enjoyable part of my job is the peers that I work with and the teamwork atmosphere that we have.
Pros
teamwork atmosphere, peers, feeling appreciated
Cons
short breaks, at times chaotic census, short staffing issues
Stressful yet productive company.
Dishwasher/Server (Former Employee) –  Janesville, WIJune 4, 2014
A typical day at work consisted of working with a partner to collect soiled trays for cleansing and replacing dishes for the cooks. I learned to work with unique individuals who complained often but worked twice as hard to compensate for their lack of help. One out of 3 managers was professional while the other two broke common rules and were never disciplined. Most of the co-workers were great to work around but a few people were debbie downers. The hardest part of the job was working during lunch time due to the conveyor belt that had lunch trays piling up. The most enjoyable part of my job was being able to get a 2 person job done by myself and was often praised for it.
Pros
fast paced safe environment.
Cons
a few complainers and unprofessional management.
Enjoyable working with nursing students.
Registered Nurse - Surgical/ER/Urgent care (Former Employee) –  Janesville, WIJune 25, 2012
This facility was a good stepping stone for a new nurse. There are exposures to care areas that are not always available in larger facilities. One can work in one area today, such as surgical, then be floated to another unit tomorrow, such as ortho. This variety was enjoyable at times. My concern while here, however, was that my co-workers always seemed to be on edge, like there was some impending doom. People were afraid to voice their thoughts or opinions for fear of no longer having a job. While I was here, there seemed to be allot of growing pains. Their was continual focus on how to establish new clinics in the surrounding areas. This sometimes seemed to come at the expense of the Mother Hospital.
Pros
good co-workers.
Cons
continually expressed frustrations by staff and co-workers.
Mercy Health .System of N.W.A had the same value system that I did, "in that everyone who walked through the door mattered to me and to them."
Receptionist/Clinic Support Rep (Former Employee) –  Lowell, ARSeptember 14, 2013
It was always busy with a multi-line phone system and lots of sick individuals who needed to see a doctor. We had to get real creative with the schedule and the Doctor with their time to make and show each patient that they were the most important person in the world to them when then were in the room with them.

Getting to know the patients was the most enjoyable part of the job, and the hardest part was of leaving everyone, including the awesome team I worked with.

In the medical field whether it be in a supportive role to the clinical staff or as clinical staff, there is a learning opportunity everyday!
Pros
you have the opportunity to get to really "know" your patients.
Cons
sometimes you have to work through lunch or skip it altogether
Friendly place to work. Always greeted with a smile
Certified Pharmacy Technician II CPhT) (Current Employee) –  Independence, KSSeptember 2, 2015
I loved my job at Mercy, I enjoy being a pharmacy technician and thought I would spend the rest of my life helping others as a pharmacy tech. The health system that I worked for decided to pull out of Kansas. For 2 years we struggled with a discernment process. Twice our hospital was almost sold. Finally we were told our last day will be October 10,2015. Now I am looking forward to a new job, a new start. If Mercy hadn't made the decision to close it's doors I wouldn't have looked for a new job, because they did I am looking for a new job, a new learning experience, and a new challenge.
Pros
Friendliness
Cons
Never had a CEO for longer than 2 years
The values of Mercy have changed and no longer interest me in this company
Practice Support Service Technician (Current Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKJune 5, 2013
I believe the values of Mercy have changed from Patient Care being number one priority to focusing on the "Bottom Dollar". I have been here for four years and have recieved very little in compensation or benefits. I believe I would be better serving a company that takes pride in their employees and is honest and respectful to their mission and values.
I have learned the value of my co workers and have a great connection with them.
Pros
i love helping my patients on a daily basis. knowing i make a difference in their lives.
Cons
very few breaks, micro managed with little personal freedom. no employee appreciation factors...
All About Who You Know
Staff RN (Former Employee) –  Harvard, ILSeptember 14, 2012
My patients made this job rewarding. I certainly hope that the Harvard Hospital is not representative of Mercy Health Systems overall. As a small town hospital, I would expect the administration to have 'small town' ethics and practices. This is not so. The many instances of administrators/supervisors/dept heads being connected as friends/neighbors/relatives made impartiality and efficacy all but impossible. The Harvard location will remain a poor choice for staff and patients alike, until these 'alliances' are disrupted and corporate shines a light in their direction.
Pros
payscale competitive with region, little else.
Cons
very political, supervisors/mgmt, staff saturated with friends/neighbors/relatives.
Productive work place
Telephone Operator (Current Employee) –  Darby, PAOctober 16, 2014
A typical day at work is answering all incoming and in house calls for Mercy Health System and its facilities. I have learned that most people are caring and it's a pleasure to help them. Some of the calls that we received can be difficult and we need to get information from the caller to better help them.
Management is pretty good for the most part. I do enjoy working with most of my co-workers. There are many personalities in the room but we do all work together. The hardest part of the job is sometimes working later hours and dealing with some difficult people.
The most enjoyable part of the job is when you have a day that runs smoothly and are able to help connect callers to proper departments.
Enjoyable atmosphere to work in
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Woodstock, ILAugust 15, 2012
I enjoyed my time of employment at Mercy Health System. I love the field of OB/GYN and I feel that I learned a lot in my time there. I enjoyed meeting new patients and liked the fact that every day presented me with new challenges and experiences to learn from. My co workers were very nice to work with and I made some lasting friendships during my time at Mercy. The hardest part of the job was trying to get more hours once my hours were cut due to the MD I worked for cutting back on the hours he/she worked. I learned to be flexible and enjoy my job and the people that I work with.
Pros
working with many nice people
Cons
reduction of hours
Nice environment
Data Entry Specialist (Former Employee) –  Conshohocken, PAMarch 4, 2013
Even though I was placed temporarily, I enjoyed the people and working with them.

My supervisor would always greet me in the mornings, and have coffee with me and also lunch. She was very supportive and liked complementing me whenever I did a good job. I know I do not deserve or should expect a gold star for my job and what I do, but it motivated me.
My coworkers were very amicable, and easy to work with. We helped each other out a lot each time.
Pros
awesome lunch provided by a catering company
Cons
no cons.
Decent place to work - ignore the hype
Patient Care assistant (Current Employee) –  MissouriMay 22, 2013
Most people are kind, hard working, honest people. There is lots of talk about the mercy spirit - it's all a sham- it's something admin talks about and few live. If you're in a hard to fill position you can pretty much get away with treating everyone else like dirt. A lot of attention goes to protecting health care workers not patients.
Pros
decent benefits, faith based
Cons
cronyism, words are not backed with deeds, faith is spoken and not lived
overall pretty good place
Medical Assistant/receptionist (Former Employee) –  Janesville, WINovember 29, 2014
Great benefits, great people. Wish they would offer better pay and better pay increases but most likely guaranteed a raise every year. Didnt like the clickiness or the back stabbing of co-workers but manager was pretty good at dealing with difficult situations that would arise. Good work hours & a few employee engagment services that were awesome!
Pros
free lunches, employee benefits, great people
Cons
back stabbing, lots of hear say and feelings that no one is listening to you, etc
A very good place to work with good benefits.
Medical Transcriptionist (Current Employee) –  Janesville, WIMarch 3, 2013
I arrive at 6 a.m. and work for 8 hours with half hour lunch break and 2 ten minute breaks which I combine for 20 Minute break. I usually transcribe most of the day. My co-workers are very easy to work with and very cooperative. The hardest part of the work is when the transcription runs low and i have to do other jobs. The most enjoyable part of the job is the challenge of learning new words and sentences each day and making sure my work is correct.
Pros
half hour lunches
Cons
short breaks, half hour lunch
I enjoyed my co-workers very much.
Clinical Pharmacist AND Retail Pharmacy Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKJanuary 12, 2016
The work volume at Mercy was extremely busy. I was able to expand my clinical knowledge and learned many different areas of monitoring in the pharmacy that had positive patient outcomes.
The work atmosphere at Mercy was stressed and the employees seemed fearful of loosing their jobs.
I was proud to work for Mercy but I felt that the CEO was not in touch with the employees.
Pros
Great benefits, good pay.
Cons
Atmosphere was stressed and as a result patient care suffered.
Fun place to work
Cash Applications Representative (Current Employee) –  Conshohocken, PAFebruary 3, 2015
A days work consist of posting payments to patients accounts. I've learned how necessary coding is for billing. The management team is always looking for ways to improve productivity. My co-workers are very friendly. The hardest part of my job is not being able to reconcile batches with missing information. I enjoy the times of prayer we have with one another during the holidays, special occasions and times of sorrow.
Not what was expected
FINANCIAL (Current Employee) –  Janesville, WISeptember 9, 2015
The expectations I had coming into Mercy was one that would advance my career. Unfortunately, the position I took is the opposite. The pay is higher; however, there is not enough work to justify. The position was portrayed as an opportunity for advancement, but I see very little advancement. People are nice, but keep to themselves.
Pros
Co-workers are nice and helpful.
Cons
No department orientation plan, lack of leadership.
Racist CBO Director and VP. A LOT of Cronyism.
If Only (Former Employee) –  Conshohocken, PAMarch 27, 2013
This former employee reporting that rules only apply to some. Advancement under current CBO structure is only for those with the "complexion for the protection." And protect they do.

Competent employees of a certain shade should look elsewhere. Current exceptional leader, not me, will not be advanced regardless of accomplishments and brown-nosing.
Cons
racism, cronyism, incompetence, and flat-out liars