Mercy Hospital Of Buffalo Employee Reviews

An excellent Hospital
Manager, Invasive Cardiology (Former Employee) –  Buffalo, NYAugust 14, 2016
My time at Mercy Hospital of Buffalo was very valuable and dear to me. The people who work there are wonderful. MHB's mission to care for the sick is being fulfilled there every day.
great learning hospital
Unit Secretary (Current Employee) –  buffalo nyJuly 24, 2016
I like what i do..work in a critcal care unit run labs take charts apart.help with patient care sometimes type 30 wpm.team worj team players hospital is a good teaching environment for new nurses.
Pros
discount meals
Cons
short breaks
Selective hiring lack of compassion
Unemployed (Former Employee) –  Abbott Road , Buffalo NYJuly 14, 2016
Core values need to be changed. Hire people with degrees and people without to do the same job , wonder what the point is in getting a degree and doing the medical footwork when management hires someone who doesn't finish school and worked at Wegmans. Slap on the wrist for employees who threatened other employees with physical harm. Basket raffle donations saw a certain percentage to be given to the hospitals donation choice. 2 year limit to lay off recall forcing employees to use their retirement fund after 26 weeks of unemployment or to go on welfare. No calls from HR to place layoff in a position that keeps them "whole". Union often sides with management.
Pros
Paycheck sort of
Cons
To many to list
I enjoyed each of my tasks
Part-Time Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Buffalo, NYMarch 23, 2016
Supported Vice President of Mission Integration & Spiritual Care Department. Prepared CBISA for Mercy Hospital. Prepared time and payroll in Kronos. Prepare On- Call Schedule for Mercy Hospital Chaplains.
Pros
Diverse Duties, as I supported 3 departments.
Cons
Change of Management
excellent hospital
Medical Records Clerk (Current Employee) –  Buffalo, NYFebruary 19, 2016
I have worked at Mercy for several years and have learned alot. There are classes in which you can attend to learn more. When I worked in the emergency room I learned how to do EKG's, draw blood use a glucometer. I did work in the triage room when I first came in and then at the second part of my shift I worked in the back in the main ER. I worked the code rooms and assisted the nurses as needed. I enjoyed working with everyone we made a great team and after a while you knew what was needed by each nurse as they all had their own way of doing things. The best part of my job was when we worked on a code patient and they survived, it brought joy to your heart and you knew you were doing something to help save a life.
Pros
staff
Cons
hours
Rn
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Buffalo, NYSeptember 14, 2015
Very challenging job on medical surgical floors with very sick patients, always a challenge to get through the shift, worked with some amazing Nurses at this facility.
great place to work
Nursing Assistant (Current Employee) –  Buffalo, NYJune 9, 2015
love my manager at Mercy. i have learned a lot about the medical field and it motive me to become a future doctor. Mercy is great hospital.
Great place to work!
MRI Technologist (Current Employee) –  Buffalo, NYMarch 13, 2015
Mercy is a great place to work! My department and colleagues support one another and work well together to give our patients excellent care and imaging. Management is both fair and reasonable.
Pros
Great equipment
Cons
n/a
Great professional company
Pharmacy Technician (Current Employee) –  Buffalo, NYDecember 11, 2014
A typical work day tends to go very smoothly, scheduled deliveries to drop of patient specific medications, preparing intravenous medications, answering phone calls, and restocking medications into Pyxis machines. Management does a great job keeping the team informed and up to date on any ongoing issues. Co-workers are very friendly and helpful. The hardest part of the job is probably keeping up with the fast pace when it gets busy. The most enjoyable part of the job is knowing that you are helping people.
Pros
Long breaks, great pay
Cons
working third shift
Traveling Surgical Tech.
Traveling Surgical Technologist (Former Employee) –  Buffalo, NYDecember 1, 2014
It was nice for a Travel assignment. I would NOT want to work here as a permanent person.
Pros
Nice people.
Cons
Horrid management
Friendly work environment, great staff, opportunities for advancement and further education
REGISTERED NURSE (Current Employee) –  BuffaloOctober 16, 2014
I've been at Mercy Hospital for a few years and I really like it there. I've learned so much and it feels like my home away from home. Its a very busy hospital but manages to give great personal attention to patients and staff alike. Management is approachable with a firm open door policy.
Reliable place to work
Nurse Assistant (Current Employee) –  Buffalo, NYOctober 14, 2014
Secretarial and front desk duties including telephone, payments, mail and customer service.
Pros
Room for advancment
Cons
Low starting salary
Friendly peopleCaring staff, clean and welcoming environment
Nurse's Aide (Former Employee) –  Buffalo, NYJuly 17, 2014
Friendly staff, caring people clean environment
Unionized
Diverse
Shared values
nice relaxing enviornment
Environmental Service Worker (Former Employee) –  abbott rdJune 15, 2014
keep store clean and stocked. felt there was always too little of employees there. did not like hours 5-midnight. everyone was close
Pros
all co-workers like a family
Cons
hours of work
Busy
Surgical Technologist (Current Employee) –  Buffalo, NYMarch 14, 2014
Its never a boring day I learn something new everyday i go to work. Management is amazing but tough when needed. My co-workers are great team players.
Pros
great place to work
Cons
no pay increases after 5 years of employment
very clean and updated inside
Health Information Clerk (Current Employee) –  Buffalo, NYJanuary 17, 2014
management needs more skills, and training. Caring, compassion, core values stem from the top. If the top doesn't utilize their skill they why should they expect other too.
worst place I have ever worked
RN (Former Employee) –  Med surg and TeleApril 27, 2013
typical day at work involved being understaffed and getting no help sent. I learned that catholic health systems is anything but catholic, and hides behind the veil of a not for profit, while they find every way possible to overwork their employees. Management...what a joke, everyone from HR (which was especially horrible due to the fact that they don't have a single clue to what goes on outside of their office) to the floor managers were quick to get rid of good employees based upon lies told by coworkers. Seen a lot of good employees let go for things that had nothing to do with their job performance. Coworkers- there were good and bad, but more bad than good. The bad ones make every situation into an overblown dramatic situation which almost always gets out of hand. The hardest part of the job was actually stomaching being an employee there and pretending to be happy with all the petty vindictive people who had nothing better to do with their time than talk trash about others, including patients, and at times making things up.The male employees there have it the worst, because if they dated anyone, they were a target. Even when they stayed single they were a target by the rejected females and their friends. The most enjoyable part of the job was leaving each day knowing that I did not have to deal with the headache known as mercy hospital. Not to be left unsaid the union there is the absolute worst I have ever dealt with, they are really fast to strong arm their members to push their agenda, but screwed the rest of the union on the most recent contract; the health insurance  more... they voted on was changed without warning and they were given no choice in the matter; they also promised pay raises to the nurses aides, dietary and transporters, but when they were forced to vote on a lesser contract than the first time, which they lied to the entire whole of their members about the terms, there was no pay raise for those promised one!!! Then the union sent out letters saying they misinformed their employees about the pay raise, because after reviewing the signed contract those raises were not included! Oh lets not forget that they also cut the pay raises in half for the annual pay raise.All to save a pension that the hospital owes millions to and the union will never get! It's been almost a year since the contract was signed and they still have not given their members a copy of their new handbooks. Very shady union and hospital. My advice would be to NEVER work at mercy hospital unless you are desperate and do not care about benefits or fair treatment, and a reasonable patient workload.  less
Pros
getting your feet wet if you are new in healthcare and can't get a job anywhere else
Cons
just about every aspect of employment there is a con
terrible establishment to work for
nurse (Current Employee) –  565March 13, 2013
The absence of management with the exceptions of belittling and discouraging employees. Self evaluations where a manager who never sees you working but is quick to give a poor rating. at Mercy the new contract took away took away what little benefits there were 2 working there. Would never work for another purported Catholic health hospital. Between all the drama and backstabbing it is a horrible place to work. Union thats only good for taking your money, and giving you little to nothing in return. Terrible staffing and always broken equipment. One of the worst places i have ever worked.
Pros
the biggest pro that i see is not working there
Cons
horrible union and management lousy healthcare insurance and the list goes on
Good Place to work
Respiratory Therapist (Former Employee) –  Buffalo, NYJanuary 14, 2013
I liked working at Mercy Hospital of Buffalo, because it was a busy hospital where i had the chance to rotate from unit to unit. very hard to get bored and lots of oportunitys to learn
Friendly environment and great people
Porter (Current Employee) –  Buffalo, NYOctober 22, 2012
I've been working at Mercy Hospital for 7 years now and enjoy the work environment immensely. It is very easy to integrate with fellow co-workers, as well as management.

Mercy Hospital Of Buffalo Reviews by Location