Mercy Hospital Employee Reviews in United States

Wonderful work environment, friendly co-workers.
Staff Nurse (Former Employee) –  Cedar Rapids, IAApril 6, 2016
Liked my job but not the rotating 12 hour shifts. Fast paced but staff worked together well. Management was very understanding and concerned with staff; not afraid to help out when needed. Hardest part of job was paper charting and rotating shifts. Most enjoyable were the benefits and co-workers.
Pros
Co workers worked together.
Cons
Rotating shifts.
mercy hospital
Medical Assistant Back Office (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MOFebruary 25, 2016
Mercy is a great place to work, with opportunities for advancement within the company. I would recommend this company to anyone that is looking for a healthcare career.
benefits
Cons
lunch is too short of time
Productive, friendly work environment
Outpatient Registrar/ Emergency Room Registrar (Former Employee) –  Rogers, ARMarch 31, 2016
My coworkers were wonderful and very helpful, I enjoyed talking to the people on a daily basis. Management was ok, sometimes I was intimidated because of the environment. The hardest part of my job was dealing with the volume of people that two of us would have at one time to check into the ER or for an imaging test. All in all, I really loved having this job.
A great teamwork environment with opportunities to learn new skills
Certified Nursing Assistant (CNA) (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAJune 11, 2016
My unit is a fast paced environment, with a broad opportunity of learning situations. On my floor we treat mainly trauma patients, but also receive the chance to work with psych, medical, and some traumatic brain injuries. I use this environment to my advantage to learn as much as I can. And my coworkers are very encouraging, they not only work with me, but also explain and teach to me what they are doing. This gives all my tasks for the night a greater purpose. The most enjoyable parts of my position are to help heal and treat patients, seeing them get better and get to go home happy. A healthy team environment makes this most enjoyable. It can get tough at times, that is why a great team effort is of upmost importance.
Not the place for a patient care practitioner looking for excellent patient care
Registered Respiratory Therapist (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHMay 17, 2016
A typical day at Mercy consisted of Job assignments entirely too large for good patient care. I felt the emphasis on patient safety was always placed last.

Management did not follow up on employee complaints, concerns or needs.

I did not find a lot of team work.

The hardest part of the job was the assignments they were far to large to enable a practitioner to perform excellent patient care or safe patient care.

I learned that Mercy hospital is not the place to work for any practitioner that is a strong advocator for patient care, patient safety, education and prevention.

Time permitting patient care would have been the most enjoyable part of the job,.
Great work environment with much learning incorporated into dialy routine. Easy job and worth getting up for in the morning.
Patient Escort (Former Employee) –  Iowa City, IAJanuary 9, 2016
An amazing place to work. The staff and general staff are outgoing and welcoming. If I could work anywhere, it would be here. The pay is great, and it allows you time to schedule around yourself without straining your energy or wearing you out. Management is informal. No hard parts about this job, and most enjoyable is being able to my job with ease, while providing satisfaction for patients. Thanked and appreciated for you work here often.
Pros
Reduced lunch rates, holiday bonuses or gift cards, easy work, not demanding.
Good but not great
Patient Care Associate (PCA) PART TIME (Current Employee) –  Springfield, MOMay 19, 2016
Typical day at work: Probably understaffed
What you learned: Be quick on your feet
Management: Upper management lacks care/compassion for patients and the people taking care of those patients.
Coworkers: Most are great, they help create a positive learning environment most of the time.
Hardest part: Not being allowed to have more than 1 caregiver unless you have 14 patients is ridiculous. I consistently find it impossible to give my patients the quality of care I wish I could give because I simply do not have the time. Mercy reviews suffer due to this, from the coworker's point of view and more importantly the patients (who suffers most) point of view.
Most enjoyable part of the job: Getting to meet and get to know so many wonderful people. I think it will be next to impossible to forget some of the fantastic people I've had the opportunity to work with.

Also, the cafeteria charges a lot for their low quality food.
Pros
Meet lots of new people.
Cons
Busy, lack of care from management
Great connection between staff and leadership.
Nursing Support Coordinator of OB Unit (Current Employee) –  Coon Rapids, MNDecember 21, 2015
In my role I have learned how hospital nurse staffing relates to the daily operations of the hospital, including contracting, scheduling, and payroll to name a few. Management encourages an "open door" policy for communication between all staff. The most difficult part of my job is the changing policies involved with contract language in the nursing contracts, which can make it challenging to provide staff with the best service. The best part of my job is the level of communication I get to have with all the great nursing staff!
Pros
Fast passed environment
Cons
Can involve making many unnecessary phone calls to follow contracts.
The management is not fair
Housekeeping (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOApril 19, 2016
I worked in housekeeping and the work load was overwhelming. They only give you a few minutes to get from one end of the hospital to the other ,then you have to log into the computer whatever room they send you to. If for whatever reason i didn't make it to the room at the exact time, the manager incessantly paged me. You only get 30 minutes to clean the room spotless and of course it has to be up to their standards, which is almost impossible. It is not fair, because i worked really hard and had my room spotless, while some other employees would barely clean the room and still got away with it. I was way underappreciated and the pressure they put on me,it was just unbearable.
Pros
Health Insurance
Cons
Terrible work conditions
Great Place to work
Medical Laboratory Technician I (Former Employee) –  Aurora, MODecember 7, 2015
Great place to work had a great experience.

Learn one important thing about working in a big hospital, people work cohesively with a system that get things done.

Management is very professional and had a lot of knowledge of their position.

Co-workers had multiple years of experience in their job and seem to have experienced a lot of different situations.

Days varied between what would be called a typical day and a day that would be more hectic, which is to be expected of a medical environment.

Hardest part is also the most enjoyable, working with and for people. Not every person is alike, something that you begin to learn working in a medical environment. It is enjoyable because at the end of the day your goal is met every day, to help people.
providing care to patient
Pharmacy Technician (Current Employee) –  Des Moines, IAJanuary 6, 2016
Productive and team work environment that provide care for numerous patients. Job security and management cooperation to have a flexible schedule
The people were extremely a pleasure to work with.
Housekeeping (Current Employee) –  Carthage, MOMay 21, 2016
I walked about 8 miles a day during the course of my job. Things change quickly and you need to be ready.I learned that the staff are a very caring group of individuals. My manager was the best at accommodating my work life with my home life. That is a very strong point for Mercy. My co-workers are the best group of people to work with, I will miss them most. The hardest part of my job was the walking, it is hard on my body. The part I love about my job are my co-workers and the patients I got to visit with.
Pros
Insurance was affordable
Cons
Job is very physical
Pastoral care with compassion.
Chaplain (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMarch 11, 2016
Each day varied.
I learned to set clear boundaries between work and family life.
The management was professional and courteous.
There was collegiality among the staff.
The most enjoyable part of the job was my interaction with the nursing staff.
Great place to work, full of caring people
Medical Records Clerk (Former Employee) –  Batavia, OHMay 26, 2016
Working at Mercy Hospital was always a joy. My coworkers were caring people, fun to work with and honorable people. I loved interacting with them and the patients. We all worked hard, helped each other out in busy times, they became part of my family.

Mercy's mission also fulfilled my mission, to truly provide the best care that we could for our patients, to really care about their physical, emotional and spiritual needs. I have always been proud to say that I was a part of their team.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Short lunch and break periods
Financial Counselor
FINANCIAL COUNSELOR POSTION (Former Employee) –  Portland, MEMarch 16, 2016
Loved this job! Worked at the Mercy Recovery Center until it closed. Worked here for 4 1/2 years and was able to get a promotion, getting promotions if you earn them are not hard to do if you are ready to put the work in.
Pros
Lots of perks with some of the areas
Cons
Can get "stuck" in the same job if you aren't careful
Business
UNIT CLERK (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOMay 19, 2016
Clock in ;be at your desk @ 07 ready to work run report make out patient assignment inter into computer make copies take them to each tcc and hang then up make sure the manager and superiors has one put all employes on the board in correct order.Carrying a phone .Check if every patient has a record made. If not make it in my spare time.Make sure every one is @ work that should be there.If not report to the supervisor charges takes a large portion of the day.Inbetween I send and receive fax and make sure they were pasted out .In every 15 minutes checking the admission board for admission and transfers letting the supervisior no
The hardest part of the job is changing of the shift.The most enjoyable part of the job when it all came together at the end of the day.Working on this division it all about what I could do for the patients and thair family.The whole job was a lerning exp.How to get alone with others .There were only a small amount of tine to spend with co-workers unless of course someoe brought lunch then we all got to set down but not at once.Another point is that the commucation I had with other department .
Great PRN
Registered Respiratory Therapist (Former Employee) –  Lamar, MOApril 1, 2016
My first PRN respiratory job. Being the only therapist on staff in the middle of very small and rural area took me to some of the most intense code situations I have been in.
Pros
strong department, learned alot here
Cons
not much room for advancement
Always feels like family
Director of Cardiology I (Current Employee) –  Fort Smith, ARMarch 25, 2016
Mercy is a very good place to work. I always feel I have the support of upper management. It is my first "not for profit" position. I like the fact they do things that fits the needs of the community regardless of the income potential.
Great Place
LST II (Current Employee) –  Carthage, MOMarch 28, 2016
Terrible Management
Supply Distribution Technician (Current Employee) –  Washington, MOSeptember 24, 2015
Our entire department was heavily understaffed. When I started, we were staffed to handle about 50~ patients in-house. We had an average of 40-45 each day. Over the course of the next couple years, we saw the patient average rise, climbing into the high 90s and low 100s every week. Instead of getting more employees, we lost 2.

Our department manager then started keeping employees for 12-14hr shifts, and sending them home on other scheduled days to avoid paying overtime. He would arrange schedules to get 10 day stretches of work, but split right in the middle of the week.

I worked a 3rd shift alone. As patient census averages rose, I worked harder to meet demand. Went without breaks or lunches for time; but eventually (after a decline in health) it became too much for me to handle on my own every day.

After a night where I wasn't able to get everything done before I left in the morning, my supervisor accused me of sleeping on the shift and instructed security to start watching me at night.

Unrelated to me, upper management takes large pay hikes while nurses faced layoffs.
Pros
Good benefits, generally friendly co-workers
Cons
Management, nepotism, low pay