mercyFirst Employee Reviews in United States

Great Place to work when caring for the youth. Enrichment of adolescents at risk.
Youth Support Counselor I (Current Employee) –  Deer Park, NYDecember 3, 2014
MercyFirst: Each day I provide a health, safe and secure environment for residents and their children within care of the grouphome. I tend to their menu, prepare meals, provide transportation, medication, supervision, moral and emotional support. Management works hard to support staff. What Ive learned working at MercyFirst is a grander understanding of the need to care for our youth in a controlled and safe environment or they will never be able to thrive. My co-workers are very supportive and we communicate on the daily bases about the residents and current activities. The hardest part of the job is seeing children come and go. The most enjoyable part of the job is seeing children come and go with a bright future ahead.
Pros
overtime and free lunches
Cons
low pay, advancement and benefits
Supportive environment
Program Manager/Caseworker (Current Employee) –  East Massapequa, NYJune 23, 2016
most people that work at MercyFirst are caring and supportive. I have met many who inspire and encourage me each and every day!
fun place to work
Youth Support Counselor (Former Employee) –  Syosset, NYMay 19, 2016
management was horrible. colleagues were enjoyable to work with. best thing to come out of this agency is working with the children and the connection.
Racist and difficul to deal with the management.
Bilingual Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYMarch 24, 2015
I enjoyed working with the children's, and helping the supervisor, director and all social workers when going to Court, in Audits from ACS (Children Services), supporting the teens, helping out and coordination with hospitals and schools.
unfortunately, there were people that openly, exposed themselves as Racists.

It was also envy, jealousy for trying to get advancements, lies against other people, etc.
Pros
working with children and failies
Cons
Racism, and loch of progressive changes in culture variety
Positive place to work and grow!
Youth Support Counselor (Former Employee) –  Syosset, NYAugust 30, 2011
MercyFirst is a great agency to work for. Once you get in you can move up within the organization. They have the best job training and offer one of the best models in dealing with adolescents in care. I believe in this agency and have only had positive experiences with management and HR.
Pros
informative trainings, collaboration between staff and management, likes to promote from within
Cons
some adolescents can be difficult to work with
Productive and fun workplace
Recreation Assistant (Former Employee) –  Syosset, NYMarch 16, 2015
I learned that recreational activities helps troubled youth get though tough times in their lives. So seeing the youth happy even if the timing of events is at the peak for the worst, the young man/woman can just having fun and not lose out on their childhood. As myself being the youth of this generation at 19 years of age, I wouldn't want the other young man/woman of this generation lose their childhood like I have.
Case Worker
Case Worker (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYNovember 17, 2012
You do not want to work with this company. The management team is horrible. There is no support for the employees. Supervisors do not know what they are doing the majority of the time. The cases do not get transferred when they are suppose to.
Pros
n/a
Cons
lack of support, lack of help from managment, and no security
Enjoyed working with children, provided options for young mothers
Assistant Case Worker- Support Service Unit (Former Employee) –  Syosset, NYApril 13, 2013
I assisted co workers with providing a safe environment for children. A bad day can turn into a good day. Enjoyable part of my job was to reunite the child and mother.
Pros
outings, ex: picnics, movies
There's better opportunity
Nurse (Current Employee) –  SyossetDecember 1, 2014
Your never fully compensated for all the work that you do. You really have to love the kids to return back. The company does not train you and your forced to learn on your own. Very cut throat company if your offered a position here turn it down you will find something much better
Creative, hands on, hardworking
Recreational Specialist (Current Employee) –  Syosset, NYJanuary 4, 2015
Complete weekly progress notes
Plan and participate in recreational activities for group of 8 or 1:1
Help with daily living skills
Transportation to recreation
Big company, fast pace
Human Resources Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Syosset, NYDecember 16, 2014
The work day went really fast, friendly environment. Learn about how a non profit organization works. Most enjoyable part of my day was went I was enveloped in my work.
Productive work environment.
Admissions Caseworker (Former Employee) –  Syosset, NYSeptember 1, 2014
Extensive data entry. Working with children and families can be very rewarding. A lot of close relationships built with your colleagues as well as clients.
Pros
good relationships built
Cons
unexpected downsizing and job cuts
was an internship in college
Social Work Intern (Former Employee) –  Merrick, NYDecember 6, 2013
I found that it was not very educational and lacking in giving the skills that should be acquired as an internship.
n/a
Case Planner (Current Employee) –  BrooklynNovember 12, 2014
worked as a team. learned about child welfare in New York City
productive, fun work with childen in a grup home setting.
Child Care Worker (Current Employee) –  Syosset, NYApril 21, 2014
experience in supervision of children in group home/rersidencial setting. administer medication to children. also work in mother baby group home.
Great atmosphere if you like working with children
Youth Support Counselor 2 (Current Employee) –  East Massapequa, NYJuly 21, 2014
make sure kids get to school on time , you learn a lot of patient , coworkers are friendly
Caring and safe environment
Staff (Former Employee) –  SyossetJanuary 28, 2014
All employees of MercyFirst worked their hardest to ensure a safe environment for the residents.
Productive work environment
Admissions Caseworker (Former Employee) –  Syosset, NYJune 26, 2014
MercyFirst cares for the children that are placed with them.

2.8