Meridian Behavioral Health Employee Reviews in United States

I feel so bad for the clients seeking help
Counselor (Former Employee) –  St. Paul, MNSeptember 9, 2015
Good people coming to the program seeking help walk out because the quality of programming isn't there. The potential is there but the focus is on the bottom line of keeping the beds filled. Staff get frustrated and walk out so turn over is high. Not a good work situation. Pay and benefits are good. Everything else could be a lot better. Not a good place to start your career.
Pros
The pay and benefits are good.
Cons
Poor management, unreasonable staff expectations, No work/life balance.
A horrible money hungry company.
lpn (Former Employee) –  New Brighton, MNJanuary 7, 2016
A typical day at work involved me supervising ALL clients by myself, which is EXTREMELY dangerous. Working 2 or 3 hours over my shift to get the insane amount of work done they wanted, and coming in 1/2 an hour early just so I could adapt to the craziness that had occurred that day. I learned many things there. Management was okay at my site. Most of my Co-Workers were okay, a few did absolutely nothing. The hardest part of the job was know how underappreciated I was...yet continuing to do the work. The most enjoyable part of my job was working with the clients and getting there needs met even if I had to go above management to get it done. I will never EVER feel sorry for breaking some rules, when Meridian treats there clients as $ signs and not people. It was a sad place to be a lot of the times.
Pros
overtime, cheap lunch
Cons
EVERYTHING ELSE
Great Career Oppertunity
Clinical Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Owatonna, MNJune 16, 2016
Great place to work on building your career in the field of chemical dependency and mental health. In the last few years Meridian has undergone an overhaul of management with new leadership in place. Meridian has expanded their management team to include Mental Health Professionals, Chemical Health Professionals, Compliance Officers, and IT professionals. The new leadership team all have experience working in the field and truly understand the needs of the patients.
Meridian has really grown as a company and has given me ample opportunities to advance my career in several different directions. More often than not they promote from within and value the different perspectives of their diverse staff. I have really grown as both a clinician and administrator. I have advanced into a leadership role without having to give up my passion for patient contact. I really feel that the negative reviews are not representative of the experiences of the majority of the staff.
Not a good fit for me
Methadone Nurse (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNJune 18, 2016
Administered Methadone to clients. There was not very much variety in the job. The most difficult part of my job was the co-workers. There was no team work. People continually talked behind peoples backs. The supervisor would tell the workers what a terrible job they were doing all the time.
Pros
One of my Co-Workers is still a great friend of mine.
Cons
Not enough variety.
Money hungry for profit company
Counselor (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNMay 29, 2016
Unqualified managers, very poor work ethic, could care less about the clients. If you want to ruin people's lives, this company is for you!! Alliance methadone clinic is a drug empoium. Management knows about it, but they turn their head. I wish the state would investigate this dump.
Pros
NONE
Cons
It's Meridian. And they treat employees like DIRT!!
New changes and nice support
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  MNJuly 7, 2016
Typically I do get my job done in 40 hours/week. When I was stressed, I spoke with my manager and we made adjustments to my work flow. I feel supported and we do amazing client care at our facility.
Pros
Flexilbity and kind manager
Cons
increase benefits
would not recommend
professional (Former Employee) –  Miami Gardens, FLDecember 17, 2015
Poor leadership, lack of direction, too much autonomy amongst staff. Needs a lot of work. Little opportunity for advancement. Lots of promises, nothing come to fruition.
Not a good place to work
Admissions Representative (Current Employee) –  New Brighton, MNApril 26, 2016
There is no employee appreciation
No realistic plan for employee retention
Hostile work environments
Poor wages for employees
No contribution towards retirement
Expensive healthcare
Pros
Cons
No employee incentives
fair for a non profit
Recovery Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Sylva, NCApril 9, 2015
work life and demands are hectic to keep up with changing MH world. management is very scattered and lacks experience. they will help with becoming licensed and are supportive in this manner. not much room for advancement.
Pros
flexible schedules
Cons
stressful and disorganized
productive place to work
Office Manager/Claims Analyst (Former Employee) –  New Brighton, MNSeptember 15, 2015
there was a lot of variety in what I did which made the day enjoyable. Management did not always understand the unique challenges and many changes were made in a short period of time.
Good benefit package
Pros
great colleagues
Cons
all the changes and leadership not having a good grasp of the problems with the system
Great oppertunities for advancement
Employee (Current Employee) –  St. Paul, MNAugust 29, 2014
I have worked for Meridian Behavioral Health for 5 years, I have seen the company open up an endless amount of advancement opportunities for employees. Meridian is one of the fastest growing behavioral health organizations in the country and they will always look internally for advancement as they grow. Meridian has recently started a High Potential Academy where employees at each of the sites are chosen to be groomed for advancement! The administrative team is highly educated in the field and great to work for, the CEO is down to earth and promotes that employees contact him directly with issues or new ideas. Client care is always at the utmost importance in all of the decisions for the company, and it shows in outcomes and client satisfaction surveys. The staff are great and have a strong passion for helping not only the clients learn and grow but each other as well. My experience working here has been beyond great, and I hope for many more years with the company!
Horrible Place to Work!!! Just Horrible!
Counselor (Former Employee) –  St. Paul, MNSeptember 10, 2015
They just throw you in and expect you to know it all. I got out fast! You don't want to work here if you have a license. They offer bonus hire packages because the turn over is very high. Four counselors walked out at the same time. The clients are not the focus, the money is. They don't care how much stress you're under, they will keep loading on the work responsibilities. You get hired for one job but end up doing five!!!!

Poor communication! Takes administration and payroll forever to get back to you...if they do! Takes a long time to get that first check. The burnout is felt within the first two weeks and it is the craziest work environment Ive ever been in. I could not sleep. I was having panic attacks. The clients were mean because they had gone through too many counselors.

When you try and leave, they will try and penalize you for unfinished work. It is IMPOSSIBLE to keep up with the demands of this company. UNREALISTIC!! I wish I had read these reviews before I got hired! So glad I quit. The same night I did was he first time I was able to sleep. They treated me like dirt when I left.
Pros
Quitting
Cons
Overworked, unappreciated, non-supportive, demanding, complex, unrealistic work expectations
Horrible place to work
LPN (Former Employee) –  St. PaulMarch 31, 2015
Meridian only cares about making money and having beds filled. When clients decide they want to leave they are begged to stay for the night until their bed can be filled.
If a client needs to go to the ER, they usually get threatened to be discharged. I have seen many clients go without their psych medication for weeks.
Programming is horrible. Most of the time the groups consist of watching a movie, usually not related to chemical dependency at all. Clients complain about not receiving their treatment plan for weeks after they have admitted.
Communication is a joke. Staff gets reprimanded for being too detailed in emails and passing along information to other staff when it's necessary.
You can expect to walk into chaos pretty much every day of the week.
Tons of transportation issues. Most of the time the clients are the ones telling the staff when they have appointments they need to be at.
Management is power hungry and irrational. Decisions get made without thinking things through.
Clients get left with broken promises for activities/outings.
Expect to receive absolutely no training in regards to your job duties.
Pros
plenty of overtime
Cons
no breaks, management, no care for the clients
Do not waste your time
Unknown (Former Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNDecember 7, 2014
I work in the field of chemical dependency because I have a passion to help others. Working for Meridian took that passion from me and made me dread coming in to work. They over work you, under pay you, and leave you short staffed. Management is very poor. They see dollar signs over client care.

In the time I was there, the company made promises that they never intended to keep.

Client care is on the back burner. This is NOT treatment.

If you enjoy being lied to, belittled, and feeling like you are replaceable at any time, please apply.

If you have any compassion and want to do what is right for client care, look somewhere else. This is not the company to work for.
Pros
quitting
Cons
everything
Poor work environment
Staff member (Former Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNOctober 16, 2013
Management- is a joke. The director cares more about herself and bringing in money, then she does about clients or her staff. She has been seen yelling at staff members and also ignoring client care.

Living areas- the clients rooms are disgusting. Staff likes to blame this on clients, but its the facility. Rooms have bugs. There is mice that live in the eating areas and also client rooms. Ceiling is falling down in common areas. When it rains, prepare for water coming in from the ceiling.

Client care- be prepared to be talked down to, treated like a child, and be kept in treatment beyond the amount of time you need. If there is empty beds, counselors are told they cannot graduate a client so they can keep beds filled. Clients are also referred within company even if their needs are better served at another facility.

Staff- the staff can be seen bickering about each other. Techs sitting in their office playing on their cell phones. Lack of nursing. High staff turnover. Tech manager degrading clients and talking down to them. Nurse manager more concerned with herself and her looks, then client care and her nurse turn over.

Most nurses do not stay for more than 1 month due to the way they are treated. Counselor stay is typically 3-6 months. Supervisor stay is 4 months. Tech stay is typically 3-5 months.

There is no room for advancement. Be prepared for empty promises. There is no raises. Be prepared to not have days off that you have earned.
Pros
most co workers are great
Cons
too many to list
Good
Program Facility Coordinator (Current Employee) –  MinnesotaJune 4, 2015
This is a good entry level job to get started with your career in a direct contact type of position in the mental health field.
Productive Work Place.
Administrative Manager (Former Employee) –  Gainesville, FLJanuary 28, 2013
Check Voice Mail and e-mail. Check with Supervisor. If an assessment needs to be completed do so. If not leave to start home visists. All meetings are usually on Tuesdays at 8:00 A.M. until 11:00 A.M. Turn in Productivity to the Secretary. Follow daily Protocol .
To keep up with Productivity and to stay focus with all paper work and documentation.
Management was cooperative and helpful.
Co-workers were team players and fun to be with.
The hardest part of the job was trying to catch the clients at home to complete an assessment.The most enjoyable part was being able to reach our and help people that were disabled.
Pros
assistance with gas mileage.
Cons
short lunch breaks.
Don't, Just Don't
Chemical Health Technician (Former Employee) –  Mahtomedi, MNJuly 16, 2015
If the state came in... you will be out of a job in a second. Do not hold a license and work for this company. Save yourself the heartache... Pay is terrible, client care is terrible, you will not be able to sleep at night... Just don't do it.
Pros
Coworkers are awesome
Cons
EVERYTHING ELSE
Exceptional Management/Employee turnover
Consultant (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNApril 22, 2015
Team work has paid off! Meridian has purchased this previous business 5 months ago and making big changes to up their services, to hire professionals worthy of bringing the business back with quality outcomes and hiring happy staff wanting to help their clients get well.
Do not sell this company short, success takes time!
Pros
Staff have a say in meetings, teamwork has grown.
Cons
Long processes to fix what was wrong in the past.
Meridian should be on your top five list of "who not to work for!"
NURSE or tried to be (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNNovember 23, 2014
This company has no respect for it's employees and any attempt at helping patients is usually a wasted effort. If you do not like to compromise patient care and line the pockets of the CEO and shareholders you should not work here.
Have a license in this state that you want to keep in good standing? Make SURE you are not employed at Meridian.
The longer you stay the more benefits they take away and yet expect more productivity from the employees. Upper management preaches professionalism but posts pictures of themselves to the employee email that is discriminatory against certain groups of folks they pretend to treat. If you dare mention the transgression ,hope that help comes from above because you find no satisfaction from the corrupt internal structure that is Meridian. The supposed presidents, vice presidents, business development people , HR, and Directors laugh along in fear of standing up for the employees they are supposed to help feel valued so good care can be given to those entrusted to Meridian's care. This is a FOR PROFIT entity that at the least fulfills that portion of their mission.
Upper management is rewarded with perks and parties while being unqualified to run their sites because they are only concerned about filling beds regardless of whether a patient is appropriate or safe to be in Meridian's care.
WATCH Out Meridian is always hiring because employees leave, or are encouraged to leave, when they try to do their job or refuse to cross ethical boundaries. If you work for Meridian be prepared to feel undervalued, understaffed, underappreciated, unheard and
  more... unsupported, I cannot really say anything positive about the time I invested/wasted at this company.  less
Pros
staff at the individual sites try to give good care with no resources or support.
Cons
meridian cannot maintain any decent employees.

2.7