Meridian Health Plan

Meridian Health Plan Employer Reviews

Poor cultural environment.
Utilization Management (Former Employee), Detroit, MIDecember 3, 2014
Pros: working downtown, downtown parking spot, group events
Cons: mismanaged, lack of leadership, mandatory overtime at regular pay rate, many lazy employees, poor job training
Although much of the focus of this company is on "culture," what I learned in my year there is that the harder one works, the more work they will be given to do. There is no bump in compensation and seldom any recognition. Conversely, if you chose not to work hard and or pretend to work hard by complaining to management about how much you do, you'll – more... be rewarded with less work to do. Often times the harder working folks will be given your mess to clean. For example, these incompetent, lazy employees will distribute misinformation to providers, who will call back in a week or so to complain and berate you for someone else's blunder. At this point, you have no other option but to solve the problem while the culpable party chats with their friends on the phone. Furthermore, there is a serious lack of proactive problem solving. Everything is reactive. For example, the Medicare lines of business went live without any knowledgeable support staff. This created an enormous mess for all employees involved that went largely ignored for months because upper management had no idea what was happening on the ground floor. Additionally, there is seldom any interdepartmental communication, which can quickly create complex problems when members and providers are given different information because process changes were not shared. Overall, while the health benefits are good, the salaries are dismal. I would't recommend this company as anything but a resume gap filler while you search for something better. – less
Enjoyed working for the company; Department was restructured....
Medicare Inside sales - (Former Employee), Detroit, MIDecember 1, 2014
Great place to work; wrong department to work in at that time. Company is dedicated to one call resolution for its members and is very customer service oriented.
Horrible Place to Work
Nurse Reviewer (Former Employee), Detroit, MINovember 2, 2014
Pros: bagels
Cons: see my review above. these are bad people. if you work for them you are risking your license.
This is the worst job I've ever had. I was micromanaged and harassed. The company uses racist hiring practices to keep most African Americans out. They fired all of the people of color who worked there when they took over, yet their VP of HR has time to post on indeed, and tell others to do so. If you work here, your license is at risk. There is a provider – more... that is tracking pediatrics denials and is planning on reporting the company to the federal government and reporting the review nurses to the state board. An unethical company, run by sociopaths. The sad this is, they want to act like they've "made it." The reality is that no matter how much money you have, if you live in MI, you are a failure. I'm moving south, to work for accompany that actually cares about patients. – less
Meridian
Inside Sales Representative (Current Employee), Detroit, MIOctober 16, 2014
Great place to work! I learned about all the plans meridian has to offer.
Friendly work environment
Member Services Representative (Current Employee), DetroitAugust 19, 2014
Pros: bagel fridays, work parties, good benefits, and working downtown.
Lots of on the job training, friendly atmosphere, and low stress work environment.
Work hard, play hard
Utilization Management Specialist (Current Employee), Detroit, MIJuly 26, 2014
Pros: bagel day on friday, weekly drawing for something going on downtown, free drink thursdays
Cons: some departments do not have a training guide to follow at all
Meridian Health Plan is a great company to work for. They follow the philosophy of work hard, play hard. There is always something fun going on with the work. However, if you do not like to be downtown Detroit or the commute- it is not for you.
Culture of strong work ethic.
Provider Network Development Representative (Current Employee), Manchester, NHJuly 10, 2014
Pros: great benefits
Cons: unrealistic expectations of work/life balance.
This is a company that dove head first into a new market and now is retreating from the decision. I am thankful for the opportunity but wish to have had more time in the role to expand the membership which was on a positive trend among the 3 Medicaid plans in the state.
Great Opportunity!
Manager, Medicare Sales (Current Employee), Detroit, MIJuly 5, 2014
Pros: 401-k, medical, dental, vision, cultral diversity, very clean work environment, bagel fridays!!
Cons: company policies and procedures/ firm but fair
First let me start by saying that I've had the opportunity of working for the biggest healthcare provider in the state of Michigan. A color, I care not to mention in this review. Bigger doesn't necessarily mean better. Secondly all the negative comments about Meridian really need to stop. If you are an individual that is negative, one that likes to – more... complain, and are just looking for a job, this may not be the place for you. If you are someone that is passionate about the health care industry, passionate about innovation, quality, and serving the community. Then you should give this company some consideration. Here's the real deal about Meridian. They are a company that is firm but fair. They are a company that is committed to being number 1 in the healthcare industry. They are committed to innovation, quality, customer service, and team work. It takes a team minded effort to accomplish futuristic goals set forth by Meridian. Again, if you're someone that is negative, likes to complain, and aren't a team player this opportunity probably isn't for you. If you are a person that embraces commitment to excellence in every facet of the healthcare industry, by all means consider Meridian. – less
Field Based Work
Benefit Education Specialist (Former Employee), Northwest RegionJune 16, 2014
Pros: salary based- flexible hours
Cons: field based/ not always good reception
I enjoyed my position with this company. i enjoyed educating the medicaid and medicare population on the up coming changes with the Illinois State Medical Programs.

Hardest part was assigning the doctors to individuals with multiple health issues.

Co workers- we all pretty much got along. We were all spread out through out several counties. We saw – more... each other at our monthly meetings in Chicago. – less
Growing Medicare Marketing & Sales dept.
Medicare Benefit Consultant (Current Employee), Detroit MIApril 2, 2014
Pros: work autonomy, company privately owned, marketing material provided, leads provided, friendly culture, approachable sales managers
Cons: resistance to change marketing methods, utilization of fear/pressure tactics, lack of administrative support
- Days consist of field marketing/prospecting for marketing event venues/camps, in-home appointments, member retention follow up calls, benefit roll out trouble shooting, Medicare marketing events, corporate staff conference calls, with constant administrative tasks scattered through out schedule.
-Multitasking skill was challenged and grown by the – more... many responsibilities held in position. Lack of administrative support adds to work load and error corrections.
-Co-workers are cooperative and relatively considerate of team needs.
-Most significant challenge is corporate is resistant to changes with marketing method ; lack of reliance on ROI data relative for field marketing method development.
-Work is relatively autonomous, with approachable managers. – less
Meridian Health Plan (MHP)
Licensed Medicare Benefit Consultant (Current Employee), Detroit, MIMarch 30, 2014
A typical day at MHP involves in home sales presentations which may be conducted at another location if chosen. I am an Ambassador for MHP in the community which may include giving on site presentations about Medicare to Senior Groups or facilities. I work on a team of 7-10 licensed agents. It is a great joy to be able to help others on a daily basis.
Looks great from the outside
Care Coordination (Former Employee), Detroit, MIFebruary 28, 2014
Pros: good location and nice offices, nice parties if that's your thing
Cons: hr, bosses, turnover
Great location, fast pace, pretty faces, nice offices, decent benefits. But after only a month, the true colors shine through.

HR and bosses care more about the fish tank than their people. Lots of unprofessional behavior that wouldn't be tolerated at other companies, but it's all too common here. Company promotes inexperienced people to be bosses – more... over people who've been there longer and know what they're doing. Then there's working 50-55 hours a week, and having to use PTO to take your kids to the doctor. If the weather is going to be bad, you'll get an email or phone call the day before reminding you to leave early so you won't be late. Yes they care about your safety. As long as you're in your seat on time. They treat you like an hourly worker in a fast food restaurant.

HR decides what job you get next. Spoiler alert...its not even the job you applied for! They make you take aptitude tests when applying for a job. Not sure why, doesn't seem to be helping. Not many African Americans for a Detroit location. Hmmmm...

The turnover is really high. Every other week you hear about someone else gone and no explanation. Most of the turnover is created by HR. Those who quit got tired of banging their head against the wall. Ignored, not listened to, treated like an expendable lego block. HR puts a lot of people on PIPs. A lot of people! It's not uncommon for someone you know to be on one. HR said their turnover rate was in the low teens. The truth about Meridian? Turnover could be sooooo much lower if you treated people better. I wouldn't recommend this place unless you absolutely need a job, and then be prepared to lose your sense of dignity and value. It won't take long. Only about a month... – less
Great Place to Work
Staff (Current Employee), Chicago, ILFebruary 18, 2014
Cares about staff; opportunities for growth from within; competitive pay
No growth
Member Services Representative (Former Employee), Detroit, MIFebruary 15, 2014
met and exceeded all weekly stats but could never get promoted. Dead end, management made you feel like you were always walking on egg shells.
Excellent company to work for
Provider Network Development Representative (Current Employee), Pittsfield, ILOctober 15, 2013
Pros: work from home
I was able to work from home and manage my time. I became the lead for our team and began training all new staff.
Could Be Such a great place .......
Care Coordination (Former Employee), Detroit, MIJuly 22, 2013
Pros: compensation, cool location, co-workers, free bagels on friday.
Cons: expecting 45 hours for 40 hour pay, pto policy, upper managment
First let me say that the training for Care Coordination is terrible for nurses and Care Coordinators alike. You spend the first 30-60 days wondering if you will ever catch on. Also Don't fall for the whole "salary" thing because it's not, why do you need PTO if your salary and why are you punching in & out even for lunches and bathroom breaks? I really – more... liked my co-workers and even my immediate managers, However upper level management left a lot to be desired. Whenever I mentioned the company's lack of planning and communication issues i was always told "thats how they do things here" ......Unacceptable – less
Stressful environment
Entry level Member Services (Former Employee), detroit,MIJune 28, 2013
Pros: salary and bonuses
Cons: management
They have the most unprofessional management. I would never work for this company again.
look before you leap
Benefit Education Specialist (Former Employee), Chicago, ILJune 2, 2013
Cons: low base salary
long hours, under paid, micromanagement, nothing enjoyable about the position. Ask a lot of questions about the company.
The truth about Meridian
Vice President of Human Resources (Current Employee), Detroit, Michigan - CorporateApril 16, 2013
Pros: hard work and ability is recognized.
Cons: poor work is recognized.
I am the VP of HR for Meridian Health Plan, its General Counsel and an owner of the company. I stand behind every termination of our former employees for their failure to perform, failure to show up to work and/or failure to act professionally. Unfortunately this is an unregulated forum for them to vent their frustrations even when such thoughts and – more... feelings are not based on fact. The truth is that Meridian Health Plan is a great place to work. Our turnover rate is nowhere near 40%, it is in the low teens which is very good for an employer with over 500 employees. We compete for the very best team members, many of them have moved from the largest health plans in the state and publicly traded companies because we are a more attractive place to work. We rarely lose staff to our competitors. When we terminate an employee they are acquired quickly because we are known to have trained well, and the assumption is that even the terminated employees are going to perform better than the average managed care employee. We innovate, we promote based on competency, attitude and ambition and there is a legitimate business purpose behind every involuntary termination. All but one of our top executives at corporate has been with us for over eight years. Over 30% of our directors started out with us after graduate school or college and were promoted purely on their expertise and hard work and not seniority. As for the tardiness issue, people are given multiple chances to turn this around. They are also given many days for sickness, bereavement, jury duty as well as personal time off ("PTO"). PTO is exactly what it stands for, the employees own time to manage their affairs. We will even give staff $2,000 if they show up to work on time for a year and schedule their PTO appropriately. As for questions about the HR department in general, I have a doctorate in law and the Director of HR has a bachelor's degree with 10 years of experience in human resources management. There are nine more people in the department, all of whom provide an understanding of a work/life balance while showing compassion to their coworkers. They care about the staff, help them with their issues and are there for them in times of need. All decisions are made ethically, legally and with respect to the employee, as fairly as possible. – less
Opportunity and Growth
Current Employee (Current Employee), Detroit, MIApril 16, 2013
Pros: opportunities, compensation, team environment, after work activities
Cons: long hours, large volume of work
Meridian Health Plan is unlike any other company I’ve worked for. I’ve been very fortunate to bring my ideas, skills, and talent to the organization. It has been welcomed, received, and encouraged. Although it’s still work, each day I am grateful for the opportunities I am afforded within this unique company.

I chose MHP deliberately. During the interview – more... process I was amazed by the organizational culture that has been created. It is intentional- a team of high-achieving individuals who are dedicated and passionate about healthcare and passionate about the populations we serve.

Don’t be fooled though. It is a group of very hard-working individuals. As a team, we put in the extra time and energy to drive things forward. That’s not a space for everyone. So, if you’re not interested or willing to put in additional hours to do something amazing, this isn’t the place for you. I can understand how this may not fit every person’s individual life, but it is the reality at an organization striving to be the best at what it does.

I feel fully supported by management within this company. The Senior Management team is focused on what is important, my direct supervisor “has my back,” and HR is always willing to answer my questions. Although the days get busy, I never feel like I’m interfering with my co-workers or bothering them by asking questions.

I would, and actively do, recommend this company to anyone who is looking for opportunity to advance in a growing, complex, and dynamic field. – less

About Meridian Health Plan

OmniCare Health Plan strives to care for everyone, or at least everyone in the southeast Michigan area. The company provides health – Read more