Meridian Health Plan Employee Reviews in United States

What a joke...
Pharmacy Technician (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MIApril 15, 2016
A typical day at work is very stressful, you have unobtainable goals that need to be reached. Call center job handling multiple calls at a time. Management is unavailable for most of your day and you are told to email them with any questions. The team lead and team captains are a joke at best. They are given these titles without actually knowing the job and are also unable to help their coworkers. Most coworkers are easy to get along with but their is ALOT of favoritism. If you go out your way to get a fellow employee in trouble or worse fired, you will be the new favorite. To move up has nothing to do with skill or hard work, just say the right things to the right people. They fire people without warning and sometimes without cause and keep others who have repeatedly been problems. Would not recommend this job to any friend, family or coworker!
Pros
bagel friday, downtown
Cons
Stressful, fear of losing your job
Worst Management Ever
Case Management RN (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMarch 13, 2016
In the time I was at Meridian, I worked for 4 different direct managers. The upper level management of this team remained the same, however, they were vicious and fired people who sneezed wrong.

No one could stay in charge of the Community Care Coordination program. The nurses and social workers were expected to work 8 hour days, which, because we were salaried, was more like 10 hour days. As of this writing, Meridian is down to 2 nurses in the whole program - down from the much-needed 8-10. If you're interviewing for this role, be warned that this is much more than a job - it's your life.

One big problem many of us faced was that those of us going into this role were given an incredibly low start rate. We took it because the actual work with members is - and remains - great. When they hired in new staff, these individuals were given a 10K higher base salary and when we'd take this to management as a grievance - we'd get fired. Leaving this job was the very best move I've ever made.
Pros
Flexible scheduling
Cons
Poor management, poor treatment of existing employees, poor benefits
Great company. Amazing people!
UM Transitional Care Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Detroit, MIFebruary 28, 2016
The company provides great benefits and treats employees like family. You have a great opportunity to work up the latter if you are dedicated and passionate about the healthcare system. The most enjoyable part of the job is having a great team to work with. When you are surrounded by amazing individuals who are dedicated and work hard any job becomes enjoyable.
Overall a good company
IT Analyst (Current Employee) –  Detroit, MIJanuary 19, 2016
I simply would not want to work in the call center. The professional side of the business is very respectable and not given enough credit online. I do not understand some of the negative reviews and do question their overall validity.
Pros
Many, overall the company gives you many benefits and has unparalleled culture.
Cons
If you work in the call center
A typical day at work
Member Benefit coordinator (Current Employee) –  Detroit, MINovember 2, 2015
FUN, MHP is a great company to work for a lot of perks and free events and food. Also opportunity to meet the leadership of the company
Pros
Bagel Fridays
Meridan
Data Analytics Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Detroit, MIOctober 14, 2015
Meridian is a good starter company for graduates. Sometimes tough to advance based on politics within the company however. Job culture is great always events, contests, and company sports for every season.
Not my type of company
Care Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MIOctober 14, 2015
I worked at Meridian Health Plan for about two years before coming to my senses and leaving. To tell you the truth, I disliked working at Meridian from week one. Job Work/Life Balance: For most positions (even salaried positions) you work a set 8.5 hour shift, i.e.: 8:00am - 4:30pm, 9:30am-6:00pm. I started as an hourly employee and found it annoying that I had to "clock-in" and "clock-out" multiple times per day, including a strict 30 minute lunch. I was excited to get rid of this annoying task when I was promoted to a salaried position, however, nothing changed - I still had to use "task timer" to log my every move (when I was going on breaks, lunch, to meetings, in a training, going to the printer, using the restroom, etc.). I also still had to work a set 8.5 hour shift, where I had to arrive and leave work at a designated time, even though I was not in an hourly position. In my opinion, if you are hiring employees in a salaried position, you should not treat them as if they are hourly employees. The plus side of having a set shift is that you do have a work/life balance because, in most cases, you do not have to stay at the office late. I say "in most cases" because that's definitely not always the case. When I was an hourly employee, there was a time when my team was forced to do mandatory overtime hours - ten hours per month during the weekdays in addition to a full 8.5 hour day on three of the four Sundays out of the month (that's working 6 days per week for three weeks in a row). Management would send emails out saying, "We appreciate your dedication and willingness  more... to support our membership's needs during this time of rapid growth," however, it's not like we had a choice as it was mandated overtime. Sure, for any overtime you are paid time and a half and at one point we were given additional PTO hours, but I would have rather enjoyed my weekend with my family and friends. Attendance policy at Meridian is extremely strict. You will be penalized for getting sick, in a car accident, etc. and not giving your management proper notice (2 weeks is company policy) - that needs to be changed, as no one could possibly know that two weeks from today I am going to come down with the flu and will have to miss work for a couple of days. It's not something employees should be penalized for. Compensation/Benefits: From the time I was hired to the time I left I saw an overall raise of about $3.50 an hour when I break down my salary. That's not bad, but it's not great. Around the time I left, Meridian increased the entry level pay rate to what I was earning after working there for two years. I think it's great that they increased the entry level pay rate, because it was ridiculous that they were paying college grads so low. However, it did annoy me that they didn't increase everyone else's pay rates as well. That is something they should do, because it does not make sense to have someone who has worked at Meridian for a week and someone who has been with the company for 2 years to be paid the same amount. Bonuses used to be more generous, but not so much anymore. I would not count on getting much of a year-end bonus at all, even if you are a top performer in your department. Meridian offers full health insurance (medical, dental, vision) and a 401K plan with matching. Job Security/Advancement: I am in total agreement with what everyone else says - it's all about politics at Meridian, if you want to get promoted to a leadership role. Sure, you can get promoted to a different "level" of your current role based off your job performance. However, if you want to get into a leadership role, or even transfer to a different department, it's very hard to do unless you are someone's favorite. Job advancement at Meridian is about kissing a** and about who you know high-up. It's as simple as that. Job security at Meridian is a whole other story - employees are constantly being fired. I've overheard management refer to certain departments as "a revolving door" and that speaks volumes. Management: I think the quality of management depends on which department you work in. Meridian does have an open-door policy, meaning you should be able to knock on management's office door or send an email to request a meeting with your manager or director at any point and have a conversation about whatever. I know first-hand that this is not always the case - I've had positive and negative experiences with my direct management when it comes to this. It has to be said that my most recent manager was the most unprofessional, inappropriate person I have ever worked with. My manager would talk about her personal life (use your imagination) and drop the f-bomb, etc. basically every other sentence in weekly team meetings, would bash department/corporate policies, make jokes about spiking coffee to "get through the day," and the worst - at one point when I asked a question about a company policy and my manager didn't know the answer, my manager started speaking in a tone of voice that mimicked a person who is mentally challenged and said, "I might be r*tarded for not knowing the answer to this." I was shocked and disgusted by that kind of behavior, especially in a work setting. Job Culture: Meridian does put in the effort to make it a fun company to work for. There are seasonal company parties, weekly/monthly "mix 'n mingle" happy hours for networking, ticket giveaways for Detroit sporting events, IM sport leagues offered year-round, volunteering opportunities to promote community involvement, etc. - these are all great things that are offered for Meridian employees to participate in. However, during working hours, not much good can be said about company culture. I can only speak for the departments I worked in, but it seemed like EVERYONE around me disliked working at Meridian. Most everyone who had been at the company more than 6 months was looking for employment elsewhere. There was so much negativity in my department that our management had to address it in multiple team meetings. I have never worked at a company where the team morale was so low, as a whole. I'm very happy I decided to leave Meridian. When I walked out of the doors on my last day it was like a huge weight was lifted off my shoulders. The only things I miss about working at Meridian is being right in the heart of downtown Detroit and the friends I made while working there for two years.  less
Pros
Company-sponsored activities
Cons
Management, compensation, culture
Look before you leap
Community Care Coordinator (Field) (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILSeptember 24, 2015
Field staff hump Mon-Fri and are the least appreciated! No thanks or show of appreciation for hard work that is done which was very frustrating! Very low moral for field staff because how management treated people...Thank the Lord for my exit!!
Pros
Cons
Terrible management and too many others to name
very professional
Pharmacy Technician I (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MISeptember 4, 2015
Great workplace, managers are too pushy to meet goals, and no FMla leave before one year so if you get pregnant gotta leave the job, overall great company to work for.....
Logans roadhouse
Medicare Member Services Auditor (Current Employee) –  Detroit, MIAugust 11, 2015
Love being a part of a team, creating positive experiences for guest as well as the entire staff. I learned the importance of patient and how to multitask.
MHP has groups of employees write the positive reviews, don't trust them!
Care Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MIJuly 30, 2015
Just look at the 'was this review helpful' at the bottom of each review...HA!! How can it be that THIS MANY PEOPLE feel so strongly about voicing their opinion about this company in order to save potential future employees from making a huge mistake?! Take the negative reviews to heart people!! It is absolutely true that Meridian puts together groups that they tell them to go on sites like Indeed, Glassdoor, etc and write positive reviews to get their ratings up. HOW SAD IS THAT?! Did it not even occur to them that maybe if they took the criticism to heart and start treating their employees with respect instead, that people might actually be happy with the company they work for and write positive reviews without being asked to?! Now that's a crazy idea. People get 'stuck' at Meridian because they get brainwashed into thinking that MHP is as good as it gets and they will never find another job that pays as well, is as flexible, throws as good of parties, as they do...they are wrong!! The grass is SO MUCH greener on the other side I can't believe I didn't leave sooner. If you're considering taking a job at MHP...beware!! And don't say you weren't warned.
Pros
Bagel Friday's (big whoop, I'll buy my own bagels, thanks.)
Cons
Everything else
Fun atmosphere to work in
Medicare Care Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MIJuly 17, 2015
Great place to begin a career. The environment was very positive and the people were encouraging. Management was very supportive of individual goals.
highly charged atmosphere
Manager of Clinical Services/Corporate (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MIJune 11, 2015
Rapid growth without consideration to staffing requirements. Superior quality and production at a high cost to individual staff. Really great front line people; highly dedicated.
Horribly political
Undisclosed (Current Employee) –  Detroit, Chicago, Des MoinesMay 27, 2015
This company is well suited for career-focused "preppy" type young professionals. It has a very class-minded culture and anybody (yes, including veteran VPs) can stumble and fall in this organization.
Pros
It pays the bills
Cons
Doing a good job isn't appreciated as much as working overtime.
Hardworking and friendly work environment.
Medicare Benefit Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MIMay 4, 2015
I loved working downtown at Meridian Health Plan. It is such an amazing company with great perks. I learned so much every day and made a lot of friends. I enjoyed talking with members as well as providers.
Right path
Director of Medicare Operations (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MIMay 2, 2015
MHP has one of the best culture atmospheres! It cares about their employees and their lives. It is a growing company that just need to build a path, find the right people to walk the path and then run the path. When it gets that mix it will be a company to watch out for!!!!
Great place to work! My only wish is that they were located in Dallas
Project Manager- Medicaid/Medicare (Current Employee) –  Detroit, MIMarch 19, 2015
Excellent company, excellent job, excellent benefits... I couldn't ask for a better employer or position. I have enjoyed my time here very much. They take great care of the their employees and outperform their competition.
Typical Day
Data Management Specialists (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MIMarch 17, 2015
• Clarified provider issues ranging from contract status to assisting them with the provider portal.
• Processed provider contracts on a daily bases reviewing and entering them into a database.
• Demonstrated to take on extra work when teammates needed assistance and finished it in a timely manner
Family style culture
Law Clerk (Current Employee) –  Detroit, MIMarch 8, 2015
Great company to work for and has an excellent family style work environment. Tons of outside of work activities brings everyone closer.
Energetic and customer driven work place
Care Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MIMarch 5, 2015
A typical day at Meridian Health Plan started with my assigned members. I would reach out to members that had major changes in health and with medication and determine their need of care. After reaching out to my members I would assist the team with completing risk assessments that allowed each team to determine the need of care for each on-coming member. As a care coordinator with MHP I gained the knowledge of always putting the customer and their need of care first. I also gained knowledge in Medicaid and all other state covered insurance. I greatly enjoyed the knowledgeable and positive feedback from my leadership team. Their energy was a great additive to my position. I could not recall a hard part of my jobs I must admit that every part of my position was awesome.
Pros
energetic atmosphere, very knowledgable leadership
Cons
no cons