Merieux NutriSciences Employee Reviews

Sort: Helpful | Rating | Date
Expect your life to revolve around the lab
Sample Receiving (Current Employee) –  Grand Prairie, TXSeptember 11, 2017
I understand catering to client's but this place takes it to a new level. You are expected to let your world revolve around this job and drop everything in your life to make sure that things get done. There is no room for advancement and oftentimes you leave feeling overworked, under compensated and underappreciated.
Pros
Free Food
Cons
Light pay for many hours.
Good place to start career
Employee (Current Employee) –  Tulare, CAAugust 17, 2017
Not too stressful. Having to work weekends isn't the best and pay isn't great either. Decent work/ life balance. Room to grow if you are patient and assertive in your career path.
Pros
Work/life balance
Cons
Sometimes the work is tedious and boring
Good work environment and a lot of opportunity to learn. Poor pay
Microbiology Technician (Current Employee) –  Tulare, CAAugust 11, 2017
Employees and supervisors are friendly. Recently communication has gotten better. Accumulate PTO hours relatively quickly. Pay needs a lot of improvement.
Good workplace
Chemistry Technician (Current Employee) –  Crete, ILAugust 9, 2017
Good place to work. Clean facility and supervisors care about the employees. You can always get your breaks. Decent benefits. Free lunches every now and then.
Stay away
Chemist (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILAugust 9, 2017
HR explicitly said they expect 20-30% turnover annually. That tells you everything you need to know.
Firings are routine. Most people are either stuck or looking for other work. Blame moves downstream. Managers are both incompetent and unsupportive.
Pros
Overtime
Challenging
anonymous (Current Employee) –  Crete, ILJuly 26, 2017
This is a good place if you do not need a work/life balance. There are opportunities for advancement and the hardest part of the job are the hours and high turnover.
I love the people at this company.
Auditor (Current Employee) –  IowaJuly 1, 2017
This is a good company to work for. The management team is good. You must love to travel a lot though. Better for people coming on as a contractor with retirement in the future. It is hard to balance if you are young and trying to start a family.
Pros
The people, the experiences, knowledge gained, money
Cons
Extensive travel, poor work life balance
Miserable Place To Work
Lab Assistant (Former Employee) –  Tulare, CAMay 17, 2017
The supervisors don't care about the employees just want the job to get done. The pay is absolutely miserable and the management blames it on the company. People come and go like a revolving door except the ones who get comfortable and complacent. If the management wanted to keep any sort of staff they would go to bat for their employees and get them compensated better. Impossible to live on the income they offer. No work life balance you work every weekend no if ands or buts.
Pros
Dayshift other than that nothing.
Cons
Productive workplace, good group interaction
Corporate Paralegal (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 16, 2017
good workplace culture and relationships. helpful peers. most enoyable part of the job was the opportunity to work with great people and do international work
Pros
fun people, nice and friendly, helpful
Cons
poor communication from management to staff
Sales (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 6, 2017
"leadership" team doesn't know what leadership is. President is dishonest and unethical. All employees are considered disposible. Employees are over worked and under paid.
Pros
Great people in sales and labs
Cons
Terrible top management
Very long shifts; mediocre compensation
Microbiology Technician (Current Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXApril 2, 2017
Typical days are hectic. A lot to accomplish and the day isn't over until everything is done, regardless of staffing. Coworkers are pretty good people, though.
Absolutely terrible
Microbiology Technician (Former Employee) –  Crete, ILMarch 23, 2017
They don't teach you anything and then get mad when you do something wrong. Don't work here. In any department. It's waste of time and energy. Go find work elsewhere.
Pros
They get pizza every now and again
Cons
Poor training, poor supervisors, poor staff, poor payment, poor company.
OK Job with Faults
Microbiology Technician (Former Employee) –  Madison, WIJanuary 22, 2017
It is a decent job for a recent graduate, but go to another company after a year to two years of working there. You are basically married to your job and never get time off unless you ask at least one to two months in advance for one day off. If you are ok with having no control over the hours you work and never getting to work in other departments for cross training then this is the job for you. This job was a job in which I respected the people that I worked with. The company needs to respect its employees in order to reduce the high employee turn over rate. The turn over rate is talked about on glass door. My review is similar to at least 10 other reviews.
Pros
30 minute lunch break, two holidays off per year, 2 weeks of potential PTO when you can use it
Cons
bad and basic health care, no work life balance, company does not cover othodics for foot pain after standing for hours, depressing break room, never get to use PTO for time off
If it wasn't for some of my coworkers i would've left sooner
Lab Assistant (Former Employee) –  Tulare, CANovember 21, 2016
If you weren't one of the boss's favorites, you weren't going anywhere in the company. I worked for them for almost 6 years, and it was miserable. Dealing with people coming back from lunch drunk or stoned, and watch them advance in the company because they were the favorites. At one point i was threatened by a lab tech with physical harm and then he was backed up by management. I was fired a week later for being an attendance problem. I was fired in November and haven't missed a day since august when I had a family emergency.
Pros
Some of the people i worked with became family
Cons
management, favoritism and pay
Poor management
Lab Technician II (Current Employee) –  Gainesville, FLNovember 11, 2016
The job itself is great, however; it has poor management and corrupt. Managers have obvious favorites or employees they allow to have special treatment. Don't bother filing an HR report, because they will find you in the wrong rather than the harasser.
Cons
Poor management
Fast pace and friendly environment
Sr. Sample Receiving Technician (Current Employee) –  Salida, CA 95368August 29, 2016
Overall it is a great place to work. It is a very fast paced environment which makes you feel like the day goes by in the blink of an eye. Everyone there is very friendly and it is easy to make friends with people from various departments.

As a Senior Sample Receiving Technician I learned a lot about multi tasking, time management, and prioritization. Problems and issues pop up on a daily basis aside from the normal work that needs to get done. I learned how to look at the bigger picture and assess what the most important tasks at hand were and to tackle those first and when necessary ask for help from my superiors or delegate less complex tasks to other employees to ensure they get done in a timely manner.

The hardest part was learning new and complex sample handling techniques required by various clients with little to no training provided.

The most enjoyable part was definitely the positive work environment. Despite always being extremely busy, work was always fun.
Unrealistic expectations with low pay
Sample Receiving Technician (Current Employee) –  Madison, WIAugust 13, 2016
This company is not managed very well on the corporate level. Unreasonable expectations and work load for the pay and benefits. Work flow is either too much or too little, very little balance. Staff turnover is very high here. Little praise for above and beyond work.
Pros
Decent paid time off
Cons
Too long or short days, low pay, terrible insurance, no advancement
Work long hours with little pay.
Microbiologist (Former Employee) –  Grand Prairie, TXJuly 29, 2016
Depending on what lab you worked in, your hours ranged from 8-12hrs a day (at least). Yes, you are paid overtime, but I though my sanity was worth more than the money I received from overtime. Some people were catty, but it may be different at other labs. There is gossip all around, easy to make friends because everyone hates their job unless they are a supervisor or higher up.
Pros
Some time they do things and you get free lunch
Cons
short breaks at some labs, the hours are ridiculous for the amount you get paid.
Nice place to gain experience, employee retention is not strong
Program Manager (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJuly 20, 2016
Company is beginning to move in the right direction, but it has been a slow process. The turnover rate is high, which has made the transition' to a more modern approach, difficult.
Pros
Promotes from within
Cons
Salary does not match the market
The benefits and pay outweigh the harsh performance driven culture.
Sample Receiving Technician (Former Employee) –  Minnetonka, MNApril 15, 2016
A typical day would proceed as follows;

Arrive at work at either 8:30am or 9:30am (my start times varied between weekdays and saturdays). Start by checking emails from clients regarding incoming sample shipments, schedule pick ups required by clients, clean off work stations and restock supplies for our department. If there was time in the morning we would also pre-log (entering data into the system) any paperwork that was emailed to us in advance, to help facilitate a smoother day.

Once FedEx and UPS had arrived, we would begin unpacking and cataloging the samples, making sure the following things were correct for each sample analysis request form (SARF) sent with the samples: That the information matched between the SARF and the physical sample, that the testing was properly, if at all, marked. That there was enough sample to proceed with all the testing they asked of us. This process is repeated for every package and set of samples we received all day.

If there was any mistakes or other issues we would need to contact the client to clarify requirements and discuss possible alternatives if needed.

After that was the data entry portion.

At the end of the day we would package up and ship any samples that needed to be sent to other labs in our network.

This Job taught me data entry skills, as well as general office skills, and helped refine my already learned customer service skills. We were taught to use critical thinking to solve problems and to investigate any mistakes that were made, to find and stop the root causes of mistakes.

Management was probably
  more... the hardest thing about the job, they had unreasonable expectations for us as a department, and made us all aware of not only our own progress (or lack there of) towards the expectations but made us well aware of everyone else's success and failure rates.  less
Pros
Great co-workers, wonderful benefits and pay, interesting client interaction, working to keep food safe.
Cons
Unreasonable expectations for everyone, Very hard to get time off with out being made to feel guilty.