Meritage Homes Employee Reviews

High Turnover in all Departments; Earn, Burn and Churn
Sales and Marketing Representative (Former Employee) –  Denver, COApril 7, 2016
Terrible place to work. Poor management ethics. No follow through with Employment Guidelines, Systems and Procedures. Annual reviews are a joke if they happen at all. No exit interviews. False promises made often and a fear factor for speaking out is prevalent. Cronyism and incompetency at management levels is rampant. "Personal" relationships on the job influenced staffing decisions.
Corporate Human Resources needs to get more involved with employees in the field so they can report accurately to corporate management and shareholders as to what is really going on at the division level.
Great people! Subcontractors are allowed to show up when they feel like it, can't maintain a schedule.
Construcion Manager (Current Employee) –  Denver, COJuly 24, 2016
Sub-contractors are allowed to show up when they feel like it, the job is ready and the schedule is accurate, unable to maintain a schedule if contractors don't show up.
Very friendly group to work with
SR. Construction Mngr (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXMay 16, 2016
There management was weak, the orientation to company policies and procedures was only fair, but any support to the field was poor.
the material takeoffs were very poor and shortages common . they would never be corrected even when the field would send in the corrections.
Pros
Treated field to group lunches
A really good company to work for.
New Home Sales Professional (Former Employee) –  Katy, TXMay 6, 2016
A really good company to work for. They have a very good management team. The homes they build are super energy efficient and impressively designed. They have an easy system that allows for efficient sales contracts. They have an awesome marketing team and mortgage company.
Great Environment
Community Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXJuly 15, 2016
Meritage had a great environment with after work activities that helped grow the sense of community within. I would likely return should the offer arise.
Exciting and Challenging work environment
Construction Manager (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCJanuary 24, 2016
Not enough time in a day to walk all homes. Current job site requires 3 Construction Managers, only 2 on site at the time. Over 40 homes in production at all times.
Pros
Close to home, nice people to work with
Cons
job is 24/ 7. Constant text, phone calls, and emails from clients
unorganized chaos
Starts Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXDecember 9, 2015
Managers play favorites and do not appreciate employees that actually do quality work. In order to move up in this company it is about who you know not what you know. They make is seem like it will be a fun company to work for but once you are in it is a whole different story, they expect miracles with little to no instruction.
Pros
Cons
no recognition where it is deserved
For the most part a very enjoyable work place
Receptionist/Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Irvine, CAJune 2, 2015
Worked hard and helped out when necessary and where needed.
Still keep in contact with people that I worked with.
This was my first full time job since moving to the USA, so it was quite a learning curve in respect of how things were done here as opposed to England.
Hardest part of the job was when management changed - went from a family owned business to a larger national company, and also this was at the start of the housing crash.
Pros
Good people to work with, was kept busy
Cons
Housing crash and impending lay-offs.
New Home Sales
Realtor (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLAugust 6, 2015
I wonderful friend and former colleage of mine just started working as Vice President of Sales and Marketing at Meritage Homes. At the time the real estate market was just beginning to go down. My friend wanted to put together a "dream team" to go strong and sell these homes inspite of the economic decline. I was asked to come on board and I was placed in a very high end community. My community was brand new, only the model and 4 other floor plans were under construction. The first month I was working out of a trailer. I really enjoyed Meritage Homes. They had a great reputation and fantastic floor plans. It was very easy for me to stand behind the product. Three months in my husband received a job offer to work for Volvo North America in Greensboro, NC. We started to put things in action to move right away. Meritage Homes were very excited and happy for my family.
Pros
Cons
Economic decline
Meritage Top Notch!!!
Community Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  Northern CaliforniaMay 15, 2012
I worked for Meritage sales over 7 years until I was laid off in late 2008. After working for other companies, I can tell you that my experience was fantastic! This is a very well run company!

Meritage values their employees.
Pros
compensation, training, management style, sales support
Management doesn't listen to employees input
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZAugust 17, 2013
There is a huge turnover in sales associates. They aren't interested in helping you succeed, they would rather just hire someone new to replace you.
Pros
great co-workers and a great product
Cons
poor culture and job security
Excellent Compnay to work for. Well managed, great compensation and benefits.
Sales Consultant/ Community Manager (Former Employee) –  Scottsdale, AZAugust 7, 2012
One of the top National homebuilders to work for. I have had my own greatest achievemnts in experience, compensation, professionalism and advancement.
Unscrupulous company, Beware... RUN FOREST RUN!
Sales California (Former Employee) –  CoronaDecember 24, 2012
You'll be asked to do many things that are not ethical or honest. Customer does NOT come first with this company. You will be working on your days off, you will be working overtime without compensation . Who really benefits at this company? Only the high paid, money grubbing vultures at the top of the feeding chain of this organization. Only a handful of favored, long time employees, with ties to company execs (hmmm how do they find favor?) receive perks and decent pay checks. If you can stomach schmoozing up to dishonest characters for a pay check, you found your slice of heaven! The rest of the "honest" workers... forget it! Dying on the vine, with sadness in their faces. Ever work at a company where most people grimace, work in fear, are afraid and look miserable? Welcome to Meritage! Company thrives on fear management. You will NOT be reimbursed for your expenses. If you ask questions about any number of odd looking things or practices, and you look for honest answers, you will be ushered out the door by the HR department, after they call you "negative." The company does NOT follow it's own code of ethics, and uses it's code of ethics only for the sake of appearances. Code of ethics is used to sucker unsuspecting and honest people, to reporting problems. However, if you report anything, you get canned. Try to get help, say a peep about what really goes on, and you will be targeted for termination. The real work at all local divisions is run by teams of women, who work in cubicles that resemble a sweat shop. It is so sad to see how offices are set up, and how this company  more... still adheres to a culture of treating women as "less than" men. They are severely underpaid and over worked. Construction managers are likewise, over worked and underpaid. They are exhausted all the time, and likewise, are just afraid to speak the truth. They build and manage construction for multiple communities, they have little support, they work after hours from their computers logging in company updates, they are expected to build homes in short build times, then after homes close escrow, they also work as the "lone rangers" for customer service / warranty work. That's right... there is NO customer service for home warranties! Imagine building a bunch of homes at multiple communities, working over time and not getting paid, driving from location to location, not receiving reimbursement for your car... yep... that's Meritage. Ask to be reimbursed, and you'll be targeted as a trouble maker. Then, you'll be fired. Company does not care about state to state licensing laws, and uses people out of their Arizona office, to field all calls to an 877 number, from incoming potential buyers from many states. These telephone sales reps refer the unsuspecting buyers to the in house lender, etc.. Hey... I thought you need a license in many states to talk about homes to a prospective buyer? Obviously, this company is making up it's own rules, as it goes, it doesn't care about laws, and it's a very scary place to work, if you have a license to protect. Do NOT trust anyone if you decide to work at this company. Back stabbers and self promoters, many with tight ties to high up company execs, will cut your throat and throw you under the bus. They will act warm and fuzzy to your face, but they receive benefits for being tattle tales. Listen... I cannot say anything good about Meritage. If you are wise, if you have a heart, if you care about people, and cannot tolerate abuse of other human beings... my best advice... RUN FOREST RUN!  less
Pros
none that i can think of that outweighs all the hurt this company causes
Cons
deceitful, selfish higher management, making lives of employees miserable
Good place to work. Co-workers were wonderful to work with
Community Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  Rocklin and VacavilleSeptember 19, 2013
As a community sales manager I would explain about our company the community and the features of our homes. I would demonstrate models and home sites and pre-qualify prospective buyers. I wrote contracts and followed through from dirt through construction until the close of escrow and after. I really enjoy working with people and finding them their perfect home. Management changed monthly. The co-workers were wonderful.
Pros
working with people.
Cons
changing of management
Fun place to work
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Concord, CAMay 6, 2015
Company is now relocated in Sacramento as far as I know. The Concord office was a great place to work with very fair and good people in Management.
Fun workplace, great pay
Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  Houston, TxAugust 26, 2015
It was a fun workplace however they can improve managerial skills. It is a place where you can grow and I enjoyed working for Meritage Homes.
Pros
Great pay when closing on a home
Cons
Need better managers
Good Learning Experience
Purchasing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Scottsdale, AZMarch 7, 2015
This company experienced a lot of Management transition, during my time there. This was in the beginning of the economy downturn, and I was part of a 53 person Reduction in force (RIF).
Pros
good transition
Cons
too far from home
this company has no core values.
Construction Manager (Former Employee) –  orlando,flJuly 13, 2012
My review if this company is that, where the position itself is well paying, the title of construction manager in this company is not well defined,upper management again tells the tale of the business and generates clicks among managers and causes this industry to be a cut throat business,it is sad what once a set out position has been grossly destroyed by meritage homes.
A great place to work.
Project Superintendent (Former Employee) –  Scottsdale, AZMay 22, 2012
Great place to work prior to the housing crash when mass layoffs had to be done.I was given many great opportunities when they were available.The upper construction management at meritage is the best in the homebuilding industry.I cant wait for proffitable homebuilding to return. MO
Great place to work always upbeat and compassionate!
Lead Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Concord, CAFebruary 7, 2015
Meritage Homes was a great place to work they always believed in what I could do as any employee and I had the freedom to do it. My boss's were great as well, never any put downs only great reviews personally, and always honesty. I could always be honest with them and vise versa. Great place!
Pros
they have incentives they encourage you to do your best! and then reward you for it!
Cons
maybe the healthcare could have been better, and 401 investment