Meritage Homes Employee Reviews

Culture of Fear
Sales Consultant (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GASeptember 21, 2016
This company is a growing division with some positives and some negatives. primarily their management is based around fear and job security. Motivation and drive from management streams from the upper management pressuring them to pressure the sales teams.
Pros
Finacial compensation is good enough to overlook negatives
Cons
No room for grow within the division.
Great Company
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLJanuary 20, 2017
This is a home builder company, the employee and management are an amazing group all around. The president of the company so family oriented understands everyone's situation flexible place, I enjoyed all there free breakfast, lunches, trips, gatherings all there volunteer work they help in whatever they can.
Innovative Approach
VP Finance - Phoenix Division (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZMarch 7, 2017
The company has young management at key positions, however the CEO is well seasoned and drives the company with his entrepreneurial spirit and his guidance on keying into the segment that is support by regional markets.
same as before
Account Payable Lead (Former Employee) –  Scottsdale, AZMarch 28, 2017
I enjoyed working for Meritage when I started 2004. Lots of great people and management team. Everyone worked as a team at the time which helps......
good job
Construction manager, customer care representative (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXNovember 15, 2016
Meritage Homes
Construction manager, customer care representative may 1st 2014- February 10th 2015. Started at $40,000 a year ended at $47,000 a year.
Use programs such as build pro and hyphen.
Schedule trades and reach budget goals and closing dates.
Solve problems and figure out the root cause of issues on build site.
Meet with home owners and make sure everything is explained to them and at the standards they have asked.
Meet and walk through homes with city inspectors and go over mistakes and get everything to code and solved in a timely manner.
As a customer care representative i had to meet home owners in different communities and discuss the warranty claim and evaluate the issue and get it solved accordingly.
Great job
Construction manager (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXDecember 12, 2016
Overall management of construction of single family homes from the company standards to the customers and co workers I would recommend the company to all interested
Exceptional work environment
Marketing Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXNovember 21, 2016
I loved my job. I loved the people I worked with. It was an excellent support group and employees thrived on seeing others excel. The job was challenging but fulfilling. One of the best places I've ever worked.
Great upbeat work atmosphere
Accounts Payable (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLJanuary 11, 2017
I enjoyed working with accounts payable 100+ entries a day as well as I re-organized their filing system. The staff was wonderful and pleasing.
Pros
work hours desired
High Turnover in all Departments; Earn, Burn and Churn
Sales and Marketing Representative (Former Employee) –  Denver, COApril 7, 2016
Terrible place to work. Poor management ethics. No follow through with Employment Guidelines, Systems and Procedures. Annual reviews are a joke if they happen at all. No exit interviews. False promises made often and a fear factor for speaking out is prevalent. Cronyism and incompetency at management levels is rampant. "Personal" relationships on the job influenced staffing decisions.
Corporate Human Resources needs to get more involved with employees in the field so they can report accurately to corporate management and shareholders as to what is really going on at the division level.
Very friendly group to work with
SR. Construction Mngr (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXMay 16, 2016
There management was weak, the orientation to company policies and procedures was only fair, but any support to the field was poor.
the material takeoffs were very poor and shortages common . they would never be corrected even when the field would send in the corrections.
Pros
Treated field to group lunches
A really good company to work for.
New Home Sales Professional (Former Employee) –  Katy, TXMay 6, 2016
A really good company to work for. They have a very good management team. The homes they build are super energy efficient and impressively designed. They have an easy system that allows for efficient sales contracts. They have an awesome marketing team and mortgage company.
Great people! Subcontractors are allowed to show up when they feel like it, can't maintain a schedule.
Construcion Manager (Current Employee) –  Denver, COJuly 24, 2016
Sub-contractors are allowed to show up when they feel like it, the job is ready and the schedule is accurate, unable to maintain a schedule if contractors don't show up.
Great Environment
Community Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXJuly 15, 2016
Meritage had a great environment with after work activities that helped grow the sense of community within. I would likely return should the offer arise.
Meritage Top Notch!!!
Community Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  Northern CaliforniaMay 15, 2012
I worked for Meritage sales over 7 years until I was laid off in late 2008. After working for other companies, I can tell you that my experience was fantastic! This is a very well run company!

Meritage values their employees.
Pros
compensation, training, management style, sales support
For the most part a very enjoyable work place
Receptionist/Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Irvine, CAJune 2, 2015
Worked hard and helped out when necessary and where needed.
Still keep in contact with people that I worked with.
This was my first full time job since moving to the USA, so it was quite a learning curve in respect of how things were done here as opposed to England.
Hardest part of the job was when management changed - went from a family owned business to a larger national company, and also this was at the start of the housing crash.
Pros
Good people to work with, was kept busy
Cons
Housing crash and impending lay-offs.
Management doesn't listen to employees input
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZAugust 17, 2013
There is a huge turnover in sales associates. They aren't interested in helping you succeed, they would rather just hire someone new to replace you.
Pros
Great co-workers and a great product
Cons
poor culture and job security
Excellent Compnay to work for. Well managed, great compensation and benefits.
Sales Consultant/ Community Manager (Former Employee) –  Scottsdale, AZAugust 7, 2012
One of the top National homebuilders to work for. I have had my own greatest achievemnts in experience, compensation, professionalism and advancement.
Unscrupulous company, Beware... RUN FOREST RUN!
Sales California (Former Employee) –  CoronaDecember 24, 2012
You'll be asked to do many things that are not ethical or honest. Customer does NOT come first with this company. You will be working on your days off, you will be working overtime without compensation . Who really benefits at this company? Only the high paid, money grubbing vultures at the top of the feeding chain of this organization. Only a handful of favored, long time employees, with ties to company execs (hmmm how do they find favor?) receive perks and decent pay checks. If you can stomach schmoozing up to dishonest characters for a pay check, you found your slice of heaven! The rest of the "honest" workers... forget it! Dying on the vine, with sadness in their faces. Ever work at a company where most people grimace, work in fear, are afraid and look miserable? Welcome to Meritage! Company thrives on fear management. You will NOT be reimbursed for your expenses. If you ask questions about any number of odd looking things or practices, and you look for honest answers, you will be ushered out the door by the HR department, after they call you "negative." The company does NOT follow it's own code of ethics, and uses it's code of ethics only for the sake of appearances. Code of ethics is used to sucker unsuspecting and honest people, to reporting problems. However, if you report anything, you get canned. Try to get help, say a peep about what really goes on, and you will be targeted for termination. The real work at all local divisions is run by teams of women, who work in cubicles that resemble a sweat shop. It is so sad to see how offices are set up, and how this company  more... still adheres to a culture of treating women as "less than" men. They are severely underpaid and over worked. Construction managers are likewise, over worked and underpaid. They are exhausted all the time, and likewise, are just afraid to speak the truth. They build and manage construction for multiple communities, they have little support, they work after hours from their computers logging in company updates, they are expected to build homes in short build times, then after homes close escrow, they also work as the "lone rangers" for customer service / warranty work. That's right... there is NO customer service for home warranties! Imagine building a bunch of homes at multiple communities, working over time and not getting paid, driving from location to location, not receiving reimbursement for your car... yep... that's Meritage. Ask to be reimbursed, and you'll be targeted as a trouble maker. Then, you'll be fired. Company does not care about state to state licensing laws, and uses people out of their Arizona office, to field all calls to an 877 number, from incoming potential buyers from many states. These telephone sales reps refer the unsuspecting buyers to the in house lender, etc.. Hey... I thought you need a license in many states to talk about homes to a prospective buyer? Obviously, this company is making up it's own rules, as it goes, it doesn't care about laws, and it's a very scary place to work, if you have a license to protect. Do NOT trust anyone if you decide to work at this company. Back stabbers and self promoters, many with tight ties to high up company execs, will cut your throat and throw you under the bus. They will act warm and fuzzy to your face, but they receive benefits for being tattle tales. Listen... I cannot say anything good about Meritage. If you are wise, if you have a heart, if you care about people, and cannot tolerate abuse of other human beings... my best advice... RUN FOREST RUN!  less
Pros
none that i can think of that outweighs all the hurt this company causes
Cons
deceitful, selfish higher management, making lives of employees miserable
Good place to work. Co-workers were wonderful to work with
Community Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  Rocklin and VacavilleSeptember 19, 2013
As a community sales manager I would explain about our company the community and the features of our homes. I would demonstrate models and home sites and pre-qualify prospective buyers. I wrote contracts and followed through from dirt through construction until the close of escrow and after. I really enjoy working with people and finding them their perfect home. Management changed monthly. The co-workers were wonderful.
Pros
Working with people.
Cons
Changing of Management
unorganized chaos
Starts Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXDecember 9, 2015
Managers play favorites and do not appreciate employees that actually do quality work. In order to move up in this company it is about who you know not what you know. They make is seem like it will be a fun company to work for but once you are in it is a whole different story, they expect miracles with little to no instruction.
Pros
Cons
no recognition where it is deserved

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Meritage Homes. Our community is ready to answer.

90%