Meritus Medical Center Employee Reviews

A wonderful hospital attempting to overcome reimbursement transition issues (TPR)
(PACU) staff nurse, off shift resource nurse (Current Employee) –  Hagerstown, MDJanuary 10, 2017
Wonderful PACU-one of the best departments to work in. Adheres to ASPAN guidelines. ExcellentPACU staff cooperation/collaboration.
Workplace
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Hagerstown, MDSeptember 21, 2016
A great place to work. A busy emergency room with a sick community with lots of opportunity for education. Plenty of ways to advance/ extend career at Meritus.
Position
Medical Secretary (Former Employee) –  Hagerstown, MDDecember 18, 2016
Meritus was a good employer to work for, I liked the patients and coworkers that I worked directly with. The hours were long but that's expected.
A great place for nursing clinical practice
STUDENT NURSE (Former Employee) –  Hagerstown, MDSeptember 14, 2016
Learned hands-on experience as a student nurse. Proper supervision by clinical preceptors and ample hands-on learning experiences. Great staff at all units/floors, always eager to impart knowledge to students.
Pros
Room for growth for entry level staff
Cons
Work is work, not vacation
Good work environment
RN Staff Nurse (Former Employee) –  Hagerstown, MDOctober 17, 2016
A typical day was working a 12 hour shift and taking care of mother/ baby couplets, which included assessments on mothers and baby, education and preparing families for discharge.
Pros
Helpful coworkers
Great job, Many opportunities for leaning & advancement
Professional Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Hagerstown, MDSeptember 29, 2015
A first class community hospital.
Very fulfilling job with lots of possibilities for career advancement.
Management/leadership were supportive and visionary.
Pros
Benefits were good
Cons
Some short staff situations.
we have great teamwork n are unit between the cna's
Certified Nursing Assistant (Current Employee) –  Hagerstown, MDNovember 2, 2013
A typical day at work is very busy an hectic most of the time, we work 12 hr. shifts but sometimes it doesn't seem like there's enough time to get everything done.I have learned that I can only do as much as I can in my shift an we are a 24hr facility, an I have great co-workers so they understand when everything isn't perfect.
The hardest part of my job is with saying the mental & physical part, It can be very stressful at times an you walk drained because in all reality the pts. we take care of are most of the time bedridden an on ventilator so they it takes at least two of us too re-position,bath,or change them. The most rewarding part of my job is knowing I am helping someone get a better or put a smile on there face,thats what brings us all back everyday because we care.
Pros
They give us Thanksgiving & Xmas dinner free, sometimes we get free lunches if they have something to celebarate...
Cons
health benefits keep changing, retirement keeps changing from one company to another, we are always getting flexed down all the time an running out of pto time
Demanding schedule
OPERATING ROOM ASSISTANT (Current Employee) –  Hagerstown MdFebruary 18, 2014
This job requires on call, rotation shifts, holidays. Schedule is not flexible for doctors appointments, Or kids school functions.

recent bout of lay-offs with more to come.
Management is average, Mandatory workforce reduction of hours, happens, frequently, No overtime allowed what so ever.
Pros
Close to home, people are great
Cons
benefits could be better, schedule not flexable.
too many changes
RN (Current Employee) –  Hagerstown, MDApril 18, 2014
There are a lot of changed and cut backs right now at meritus. Job security and compensation is unstable.
Pros
3 day work week
Cons
They don't value their employees
RN (Former Employee) –  Hagerstown, MDApril 21, 2016
Loved this employer, had high standards and
Rn governing boards to promote first hand information for policy. The supervisors are highly trained and part of team to serve the tri-state area.New buiding and plenty of supplies to do your job. Cna to patient ratio very good to enhance rns to do there job better.
Pros
HIGH STANDARDS
Cons
SMALL CITY
More staff
RN (Former Employee) –  Hagerstown, MDApril 12, 2016
THey need more staff but the budget does not allow it. Unfortunately this effects the staff and the kids.Working at more then one school daily puts kids at risk. Many kids have special medical needs that require nurse on staff. Without a nurse in the building these kids often miss many days of school
I'm gald to have the experience that i do.
CERTIFIED NURSING ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Hagerstown, MDSeptember 12, 2013
I loved the therapy department, working as a rehab aide was the best
experiences of my life. I got to see the patient from the beginning of the stay to the end ,got to see the progress as the recovered. The departments team work was excellent. The training and the difference it makes for the patients because each person learns things different. Some just need to be heard and explain how to go from here to there back to life. Being able to teach someone how to do that is gives them a since of who they are and who we are.The management of the department was super. The hardest part of the job was not being able to improve the patients life and letting them go in comfort. The most enjoyable part was just knowing you made a difference in someone life today.
Pros
enjoyment of team work
Fast paced
Registrar Assistant (Former Employee) –  Hagerstown, MDSeptember 29, 2015
Management is horrible
Job Descriptions inaccurate
A lot of back stabbing
Unsettled work atmosphere
management has no experience in all area's of department
unfair acts
Supervision do not complete there duties put all work on other employees under them
In the 10 years of working for Meritus Medical Center my last 2 years were the worst I have ever experienced
Pros
Great Co Workers
Cons
No Breaks, Unfair Acts by supervision and managment
Productive place to work
Patient Financial Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Hagerstown, MDAugust 19, 2012
My fellow co-workers are very nice and resourceful. Everyone has their own way of doing things which is sometimes good and sometimes bad. We learn from one another. Everyone has their own specialties. I am a problem solver and sometimes find that I may spend too much time on one issue try to get it resolved.
I love to work on special projects and reports.
At this time Meritus is a bit of a stressful place to work due to the uncertainty of our employment due to many positions being out-sourced.
Lack of communication between management and employees is an issue that needs to be resolved.
Managment/leads have the tendency to see themselves as being better than a representative.
Pros
very good working around schedules (school, family)
Cons
too many managment positions in place and more being added
Good Place.
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Hagerstown, MDNovember 3, 2014
Overall good place to work. Not much room for advancement. A typical day is fast paced and critical thinking is a must. Great management and good co workers. Most enjoyable part of the job is the co workers are more like friends and family. The hardest part of the job is lack of having enough help.
HHC manager was wonderful!
Home Health Care Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Hagerstown, MDFebruary 14, 2014
Very organized branch of MMC for many years. Unfortunately, new management took over, and chaos started. It became a stressful and mismanaged department. New management cut pay and expected more work with less time. Unfortunately, the patients were the ones to suffer. I enjoyed my patients and enjoyed working at HHC for 14 years until the new management came.
Pros
Patient care and fellow workers.
Cons
New management.
Great health system to work for.
Business Office Manager (Former Employee) –  Hagerstown, MdMay 7, 2012
I loved my job and managed staff with an open door policy. Rehab is the department I worked in and learned many new concepts for the practice.

LEAN format has been started and the elimination of management positions is one of the areas that has changed.

I really loved the connection you could get with long term patients and their families.
Pros
family oriented
Cons
decreasing the manager positions
Great place to work in the health field
In-house and Emergency Room patients (Current Employee) –  Hagerstown MDDecember 25, 2012
Has been a job secure place to work. They have been very supportive of my excelling in school and my self improvement. I love the part of my job that deals with helping other people in need. The hardest part of my job has been the difficulty getting off nightshift. As a senior person, I have tried numerous times and not been selected to another shift.
Pros
being a part of an organization that is a big part of the community
Cons
often short staffed, breaks may be difficult to come by, depending on the severity of the census or emergent needs at the time.
great place to work
Medical Records Clerk (Former Employee) –  Hagerstown, MDDecember 3, 2015
Excellent place to work. The only problem is that jobs do get outsourced there. Most employees do keep their jobs just work for a different company.
Pros
Friendly
Cons
outsourced often
Excellent learning environment and great co-workers
Certified Nursing Assistant (Current Employee) –  Hagerstown MarylandJuly 23, 2013
I am very fortunate to have a great group of co workers who have supported me through my nursing school experience and have taught me many aspects of nursing along the way. I have had experience with a myriad of patient populations from post op, to med surg to pediatrics. That variety of population is both challenging and rewarding as it requires a vast amount of knowledge for each patients needs.
Pros
Flexible self scheduling
Cons
Budgetary issues prevented adequate staffing

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Meritus Medical Center. Our community is ready to answer.

Meritus Medical Center Reviews by Location