Meritus Medical Center

Meritus Medical Center Employee Reviews

Nutrition Services
Nutrition Services Assistant (Former Employee), Hagerstown, MDMarch 15, 2015
Go over meal selections and diet restrictions with each patient. Environment was great. And a very clean hospital. And co-workers were great.
Good Place.
Registered Nurse (Current Employee), Hagerstown, MDNovember 3, 2014
Overall good place to work. Not much room for advancement. A typical day is fast paced and critical thinking is a must. Great management and good co workers. Most enjoyable part of the job is the co workers are more like friends and family. The hardest part of the job is lack of having enough help.
too many changes
RN (Current Employee), Hagerstown, MDApril 18, 2014
Pros: 3 day work week
Cons: they don't value their employees
There are a lot of changed and cut backs right now at meritus. Job security and compensation is unstable.
8 years of learning
Emergency Room Technician (Former Employee), Hagerstown, MDApril 10, 2014
Pros: co-workers, pto
Cons: budget cuts related to changes in healthcare
Throughout the three positions that I held with the organization, each and everyone of them gave additional skills and knowledge that are going to help me grow at a nurse.
Demanding schedule
OPERATING ROOM ASSISTANT (Current Employee), Hagerstown MdFebruary 18, 2014
Pros: close to home, people are great
Cons: benefits could be better, schedule not flexable.
This job requires on call, rotation shifts, holidays. Schedule is not flexible for doctors appointments, Or kids school functions.

recent bout of lay-offs with more to come.
Management is average, Mandatory workforce reduction of hours, happens, frequently, No overtime allowed what so ever.
HHC manager was wonderful!
Home Health Care Case Manager (Former Employee), Hagerstown, MDFebruary 14, 2014
Pros: patient care and fellow workers.
Cons: new management.
Very organized branch of MMC for many years. Unfortunately, new management took over, and chaos started. It became a stressful and mismanaged department. New management cut pay and expected more work with less time. Unfortunately, the patients were the ones to suffer. I enjoyed my patients and enjoyed working at HHC for 14 years until the new management came.
we have great teamwork n are unit between the cna's
Certified Nursing Assistant (Current Employee), Hagerstown, MDNovember 2, 2013
Pros: they give us thanksgiving & xmas dinner free, sometimes we get free lunches if they have something to celebarate...
Cons: health benefits keep changing, retirement keeps changing from one company to another, we are always getting flexed down all the time an running out of pto time
A typical day at work is very busy an hectic most of the time, we work 12 hr. shifts but sometimes it doesn't seem like there's enough time to get everything done.I have learned that I can only do as much as I can in my shift an we are a 24hr facility, an I have great co-workers so they understand when everything isn't perfect.
The hardest part of my job is with saying the mental & physical part, It can be very stressful at times an you walk drained because in all reality the pts. we take care of are most of the time bedridden an on ventilator so they it takes at least two of us too re-position,bath,or change them. The most rewarding part of my job is knowing I am helping someone get a better or put a smile on there face,thats what brings us all back everyday because we care.
Great employer, competitive salary and supportive work environment
Crisis Counselor- Emergency Psychiatric Services (Current Employee), Hagerstown, MDOctober 5, 2013
Pros: great coworkers, great supervisors
Cons: the position itself is stressful and requires energy as well as a significant amount of patience.
My experiences working with MMC have been positive. I was hired directly from my internship prior to graduation and have a wonderful direct supervisor. My coworkers and superiors are supportive and I enjoy my work environment.
I'm gald to have the experience that i do.
CERTIFIED NURSING ASSISTANT (Former Employee), Hagerstown, MDSeptember 12, 2013
Pros: enjoyment of team work
I loved the therapy department, working as a rehab aide was the best
experiences of my life. I got to see the patient from the beginning of the stay to the end ,got to see the progress as the recovered. The departments team work was excellent. The training and the difference it makes for the patients because each person learns things different. Some just need to be heard and explain how to go from here to there back to life. Being able to teach someone how to do that is gives them a since of who they are and who we are.The management of the department was super. The hardest part of the job was not being able to improve the patients life and letting them go in comfort. The most enjoyable part was just knowing you made a difference in someone life today.
I miss WCH.
REGISTERED NURSE (Current Employee), Hagerstown, MDAugust 25, 2013
Pros: pretty building.
Cons: understaffed, pay cuts, turn over.
Since moving to new building my job is harder and we have to do more with less. More walking, less supplies, unit and policies make no sense. Plumbing issues, pay cuts in differential and holiday pay. Not enough staff. Get called to work extra while on vacation. Good place to learn.
Excellent learning environment and great co-workers
Certified Nursing Assistant (Current Employee), Hagerstown MarylandJuly 23, 2013
Pros: flexible self scheduling
Cons: budgetary issues prevented adequate staffing
I am very fortunate to have a great group of co workers who have supported me through my nursing school experience and have taught me many aspects of nursing along the way. I have had experience with a myriad of patient populations from post op, to med surg to pediatrics. That variety of population is both challenging and rewarding as it requires a vast amount of knowledge for each patients needs.
Okay
GNA (Former Employee), Hagerstown, MDJanuary 25, 2013
It was fun to work there. Didnt agree on how the training was done. If I would have had better training I would probably still be working there.
Great place to grow and learn
LPN (Current Employee), Hagerstown, MDJanuary 7, 2013
Most difficult part of the job is not knowing if you will be pulled to a different unit for which you were not hired.
Great place to work in the health field
In-house and Emergency Room patients (Current Employee), Hagerstown MDDecember 25, 2012
Pros: being a part of an organization that is a big part of the community
Cons: often short staffed, breaks may be difficult to come by, depending on the severity of the census or emergent needs at the time.
Has been a job secure place to work. They have been very supportive of my excelling in school and my self improvement. I love the part of my job that deals with helping other people in need. The hardest part of my job has been the difficulty getting off nightshift. As a senior person, I have tried numerous times and not been selected to another shift.
high speed
Operating Room Assistant (Current Employee), Hagerstown, MDOctober 11, 2012
Pros: pay deduction ability with pharmacy and dinning hall
Cons: scheduling time off is difficult
This Operating Room is challenging, 14 Operating rooms, two designated for c-sections one for eyes only and one for cystoscopy only. the department averages 30 cases per day. on-call schedule is 4 week days and 2 weekends per 6week period, 2 holidays per year and they rotate down the list each year. mulitple shifts and schedule flexablity.
Clean Hospital Enviroment
Nutrional Assistant (Former Employee), Hagerstown, MdSeptember 18, 2012
Nice, clean, hospital with friendly staff. It is new, making it difficult for new people to find their way around, but overall the staff is friendly, everything is clean and new.
Productive place to work
Patient Financial Service Representative (Current Employee), Hagerstown, MDAugust 19, 2012
Pros: very good working around schedules (school, family)
Cons: too many managment positions in place and more being added
My fellow co-workers are very nice and resourceful. Everyone has their own way of doing things which is sometimes good and sometimes bad. We learn from one another. Everyone has their own specialties. I am a problem solver and sometimes find that I may spend too much time on one issue try to get it resolved.
I love to work on special projects and reports.
At this time Meritus is a bit of a stressful place to work due to the uncertainty of our employment due to many positions being out-sourced.
Lack of communication between management and employees is an issue that needs to be resolved.
Managment/leads have the tendency to see themselves as being better than a representative.
Provides excellent healthcare for all. Teamwork!
Clinical Observer PRN FST (Current Employee), Hagerstown, MDJuly 9, 2012
Pros: large cafeteria, great food selection, events for employees.
Cons: shorts breaks, (if any), technology gliches.
My day begins in the staffing office where I look to see what Unit of the hospital I will be working in for the day.
After I am in the Unit and before approaching my patient I get a report from the Registered Nurse on duty giving me important information I will need to assist my patient with thier medical needs whether they may be in Isolation for Clostridium Difficile, Staphylococcus MRSA ect. so I can take the right precautions to wear a gown and gloves to keep myself safe. After learning the patients daily routine and needs for assist I then get aquainted with my patient by introducing myself, my name, position ect. after asking their name and if they are experiencing any pain or need anything to make them more comfortable such as adjusting the room temperature to suit their needs, I check monitors and IV's to maintain knowledge of what their stats are for example how many liters of oxygen they are on.
Since working for Meritus I have developed a knowlede of basic medical terminology and patient care. Helping to provide and improve patient's health is extremely rewarding to me. I could not provide excellent health care with out the help and support from my co-workers, we all work as a team to achieve our goals. Teamwork and communication is key to success. One thing I enjoy most about what I do is just talking to the patient's, sharing life stories and common interests. Listening to a patients life journey and struggles are so inspirational, yet at times these experiences can also be some of the worst times as well.
When working with someone who is combative it puts the caregiver at risk of being hit, bitten, kicked, verbally assulted ect. Working in the medical feild puts you in danger or at risk for these situations everyday. I have been in plenty of these situations to say the least but having such a caring and respectful management helps a lot to maintain safety for not only the patient's but their employees as well.
Work place
Trainer and Lead Aide (Former Employee), Hagerstown, MDJune 13, 2012
Cons: health care is not to good
I do not like to talk about work, what I liked most was that I met many people from different country, which I did not like was that I promised to get ahead and did not. I am a very responsible person and I try to understand everything the first day and I try my best.
Great health system to work for.
Business Office Manager (Former Employee), Hagerstown, MdMay 7, 2012
Pros: family oriented
Cons: decreasing the manager positions
I loved my job and managed staff with an open door policy. Rehab is the department I worked in and learned many new concepts for the practice.

LEAN format has been started and the elimination of management positions is one of the areas that has changed.

I really loved the connection you could get with long term patients and their families.

Meritus Medical Center Salaries