Merkle, Inc. Employee Reviews

Nice people and Certain managers will work with you in time off.
Receiving Clerk/Material Handler (Former Employee) –  100 jamison courtJune 21, 2016
In my experience working at Merkle was a good place to work. The employees are nice and not afraid to talk to you. The work is not hard and can be enjoyable. Most management will work with employees when it comes to calling out (depending on your situation). The Pay is not the greatest and the yearly increase is not so great either. Very bad healthcare benefits.
Pros
Working Hours
Cons
Health care, Pay rate, Pay increase
Hyper Growth Company
Director, IT PMO (Current Employee) –  Columbia, MDOctober 5, 2016
Mid Level Manager at Merkle. Growth company with a unique culture and many opportunities for advancement. Expect to work 45-50 hrs per week. Expect context switching and changes constantly. Really smart people
Pros
Vacation Policy
Cons
Too many competing priorities
Always Moving
Associate Account Director (Current Employee) –  Bridgewater, NJNovember 2, 2016
A continually evolving, muilt-disciplinary company of knowledgeable, hard working people delivering sophisticated services and tactics "industrial strength" CRM
Pros
Knowledgeable people
Cons
Long Hours Always On
Merkle
Senior Director (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAAugust 22, 2016
Merkle is a fast paced, growth oriented, performance marketing company. If you thrive in an environment of constant change, this may be the place for you.
There are better companies to work for
Senior Interactive Developer (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILFebruary 17, 2016
Very bad company to work for.
Poor communication.
Managent is very out for themselves.
Horrible work life balance.
Ineffective HR staff.
- could write for days...
Pros
Paycheck
Cons
Harassment by management, bad work life balance, no bonuses of any kind or recognition for any work done
Results orientated marketing company
Associate Account Manager (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJuly 20, 2016
company is very results orientated though they could do a better job training those that manage other employees.
Pass it By
Account Strategy (Former Employee) –  MarylandApril 9, 2012
Burn & Churn attitude towards employees. Lots of internal 'personal' drama from the CEO through the executive 'ranks'. Merkle may make Forrester's top database companies, but that's been hard to see as part of the account team. Fly by the seat of our pants, Low compensation, 60 hour weeks. It's a long term position only for a select few. And, they're already there.
Pros
espresso bar
Cons
burn & churn environment
2 shift was nice!
Check 21, keyer (Former Employee) –  Hagerstown, MDMarch 18, 2015
I worked on second shift and all I heard about was nightmares about 1st shift. How first shift couldnt talk without getting yelled at. second shift we talked and we had fun. the only con was the pay. I got 3 advancements in 6 months and promised a raise and never got it. So i left.
Pros
lean
Cons
pay
Great company with a very laid back culture
Anonymous (Current Employee) –  Hagerstown, MDOctober 17, 2015
The company is great. I have an awesome manager and the department is a really great place to work; however, other departments have a high turnover rate due to low pay, mundane and repetitive tasks, and strict security policies. Due to the nature of the company's work, the security policies are much needed, but the young generation with smartphones and poor work ethics have a hard time grasping this concept.

Overall, the company could pay a bit more in the hourly wages. At least another dollar or two would result in being able to retain employees and decrease the turnover rate, which would lead to higher profits (less training, less orientations, etc).

But if you can get into a non-production department/position, it's a fantastic place to work.
Pros
Laid back, great management, awesome co-workers, really smart people
Cons
Low pay, high turnover rate
Great culture - but doesn't seem to be pervasive
Acct Management (Current Employee) –  USDecember 22, 2015
Great company, growing leaps and bounds. Considered a leader in Digital marketing.

Very smart, dedicated employees. Working on national brands and with clients who regard us very highly. Very satisfying to work on this business.

Merkle seems to be very supportive of allowing a flexible work environment. They've invested in technology so that it's employees can work remotely - and it's very effective. However, this support isn't necessarily shared by all offices. Wishing it was more supported throughout the network.
Good work Envirement
image processing (Former Employee) –  Hagerstown, MDJanuary 18, 2016
Great place to work, great co workers, lots of help, but expectations are too high with image scanning, there needs to be a buffer for mistakes, they happen but they expect it to be done the first time with out re scans. which all humans make mistakes especially ones who have a disability in learning and remembering like i do but that didn't matter.
Pros
good lunch area, and smoking facilitys
Cons
breaks are short
Merkle's current business model and management has some big issues that have led to high turnover rate.
Lead Analyst (Current Employee) –  Columbia, MarylandOctober 6, 2014
Merkle is a good place for new graduates who are eager to learn, don’t mind working long hours and also need visa sponsorship.
Merkle used to be good with promoting employees based on performance but this process has slowed down.

Merkle's HR has been the best I've seen in terms of benefits explanation and visa sponsoring.

Merkle allows high performance employees to work from home. Also, dependent on the manager, there could be a lot of work hour flexibility.

Merkle's management team does not think in employee's shoes and all they care about is getting work done. Hence they tend to throw out expectations that are too aggressive or even unrealistic and they push employees too hard that could very well frustrate employees.

Merkle is very aggressive with selling. However, due to lack of evaluation of challenges of projects by the sales team, it usually ends up with terrible project planning such as unreasonable expectations and timelines. This in turns leads to tremendous pressure on the analytics team who does the actual work. This issue is particularly severe with big innovative projects. As a result, keeping pushing back deadlines with the clients is common. In the mean time, there is a lot of politics among the teams which is definitely not good for projects that are already struggling.

Merkle has been trying to heavily outsource advanced analytics jobs to offshore to contain cost. However, due to shortage of exceptional offshore employees caused by low pay, the offshore team needs a lot of supervision from the US team. As a result, a lot of US employees have
  more... to constantly work closely with the offshore team outside regular work hours, i.e. either very early in the morning or late at night. This has burned out and driven away a lot of excellent employees. Therefore, Merke is definitely lot an ideal place for people who want to have normal family life.  less
Pros
work hour flexibility, chance of telecommute, fast learning environment, visa sponsorship, good HR
Cons
unreasonable expectations for employees, poor project planning, too much politics in projects, unreasonable work shift to offshore
productive and fun work place
Office Coordinator and Site Administrator (Former Employee) –  Marlborough, MADecember 10, 2015
Supportive management. Great co-workers fun and personable worked well together, all team players.
The office began to downsize.
Everyone's role in the company was not taken for granted.
Sorter (Former Employee) –  Hagerstown, MDJuly 19, 2015
Although a very serious work place, I did enjoy my coworkers and management. I was treated well, offered advancement, and job safety. I would recommend to anyone just coming into the workforce.
Pros
Pay was good.
Cons
N/A
Friendly, yet constant hiring
Receptionist or Information Clerk (Former Employee) –  Hagerstown, MDJune 5, 2014
On a typical day at Merkel, you would spend possibly 15 minutes trying to find a parking spot and walking to the locker room to store your belongings. Followed by clocking in and preparing your work station for the work day. Everyday was like walking on egg shells because, the managers were always firing people and hiring new people and you never knew if you were going to lose your job that day. The hardest part of the job was trying to please management from another department but, my enjoyable part of the job was meeting friendly people and learning new things. Management was not concerned with training the new employees, but to throw new tasks at them every day. Hoping you would get the hang of it and not mess anything up.
Pros
great pay
Cons
short breaks, no training.
Productive and fast pace working environment.
Auditor (Former Employee) –  Hagerstown, MDDecember 5, 2014
I would go in diligently and do the tasks that were assigned for me to do. I learned how to organize banking documents as well as handling money and people's account information. I also learned about non-profit organizations and how they operated. The management worked well us employees and helped us gain knowledge and more understanding of the tasks that were given to us. There was not anything too difficult or hard to understand. The most enjoyable part of the day was being able to finish all my work ahead of my scheduled time and then being able to leave soon after all my tasks were finished.
Overview
Sr. Security Engineer (Former Employee) –  Columbia, MDMay 20, 2013
Very fast pace, management very demanding.
Cable of getting hands on different technology.
Pros
able to get hands on with new technology
Cons
Work/life Balance non-existent, management poor, good old boy type attitudes, no care for your hard work
Great place to work with a fun atmosphere
Production Specialist (Former Employee) –  Lanham, MDJuly 22, 2014
Merkle was a great place to work with highly motivated people. Was able to learn much about management of data. Working in a small team environment enabled me to learn how multiple roles function within an organization.

Unfortunately, it was not a technical based company and didn't have the proper infrastructure in place to support its IT efforts, resulting in many long nights correcting issues.
Pros
Pool table
Cons
Not for those looking for a technically savvy company
Good entry level place to start your career.
Contact Center Agent, Data Entry (Former Employee) –  Hagerstown, MDFebruary 25, 2013
My time at Merkle was very productive. I learned how to work in their Contact Center as a Contact Center Agent taking calls relating to membership for several non-profit organizations. I enjoyed my time there and had a great time learning and working the phones. I would like to carry my knowledge to the next level providing customer service for other organizations. My co-workers and managers were very supportive and helpful. The company is a really good place to start and learn. I now feel ready to continue with customer service on a higher level. My people skills are very good as well as my problem solving skills.
Pros
many fun activities. a supportive atmosphere.
Cons
very low pay. difficult to advance.
Work hard, play hard
Senior Manager, Account Management (Former Employee) –  Columbia, MDJanuary 21, 2015
Merkle is a great company with visionary leaders. If you aren't afraid to work hard, you will be rewarded.
Pros
Free soda fountain, free bagels on Fri, fun events
Cons

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Merkle, Inc.. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9